• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

santouras

one of my favourite quick, unhealthy dinners, bangers and mash. Tastes sensational
IMAG0037.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ0H0pP57ZQ

This clip from one of my favorite youtube channels blew my mind as I'd never heard or seen such a thing as far as pulled pork!

Does this also work the exact same with Beef? Buffalo? Lamb? Variances in temperature/time relative? Different liquids you can use to different effects for the cooking in the little cups?

Please educate me on this food sorcery IronGAF!

Also, I got ahold of 2 new cheeses for my gyro pizza experiments that I'd never heard of prior...both in unsliced blocks though. Gruyere Cave Aged and Edam Ball Holland. Impressions/thoughts? I've heard of the former someplace, though not cave aged, but nothing of the latter. High hopes as well as some Mild Cheddar for a first encounter likewise.

My wife wants a Wok for Christmas, but I don't anything about them really. Which are good, which suck. I figured that this would be a good place to ask. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I would like to get her something nice.

smurfx

get some go again
ElectricThunder said:

This clip from one of my favorite youtube channels blew my mind as I'd never heard or seen such a thing as far as pulled pork!

Does this also work the exact same with Beef? Buffalo? Lamb? Variances in temperature/time relative? Different liquids you can use to different effects for the cooking in the little cups?

Please educate me on this food sorcery IronGAF!

Also, I got ahold of 2 new cheeses for my gyro pizza experiments that I'd never heard of prior...both in unsliced blocks though. Gruyere Cave Aged and Edam Ball Holland. Impressions/thoughts? I've heard of the former someplace, though not cave aged, but nothing of the latter. High hopes as well as some Mild Cheddar for a first encounter likewise.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb

you ever been on these guys channel?

Yes Boss!

ChryZ said:
It's been awhile since I posted in this this thread, but I always wanted to congratulate Yes Boss! on his great looking food. Amazing stuff.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm always a bit intimidated by all the awesome stuff here because I cook more "for the table."

I've got a mughal almond dish in the process and will post the pics tonight. This one kinda reminds me of the middle-eastern type of dishes I grew up around. In the meantime, I've been enjoying this IPA from the crazy Delaware brewery:

P1030163.jpg

Zyzyxxz

darkiguana said:
My wife wants a Wok for Christmas, but I don't anything about them really. Which are good, which suck. I figured that this would be a good place to ask. I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I would like to get her something nice.

go to any chinese supermarket or if ordering online like Amazon here is the key:

None of that nonstick bullshit.

Woks should only be made one way: thin cast iron and completely curved bottom (no flat bottom BS).

New woks require seasoning like you would with a regular cast iron pan.

Best thing to do would be to buy some raw pork rinds and let the food cook up in it.

After many uses the wok will have a natural oily seasoning coat but until it develops that you should always wash it well after use preferably without soap and brush it with a very thin coating of oil to keep it from rusting.

Yes Boss!

Here is my Shahi Paneer. Just under two cups of almonds peeled, then blended and then cooked slowly in a spiced gravy with 8oz of paneer added. I put it with jeera rice. This is about a fifth of the batch.

P1030174.jpg

fireside

darkiguana said:
Why does she want a wok? In my opinion, unless you have an actual wok range, woks are pretty impractical and lousy and a regular skillet or saute pan can do the job just as well.

But if she's dead set on a wok, I'd ignore Zyzyxxz's advice against the flat bottom wok. Again, unless you have an actual wok range where almost the entire wok is literally sitting in the gigantic fireball the range produces, a flat bottom will give you much better results with your standard electric or gas range. It will also stay still.

I've heard good things about The Wok Shop in various books, so that'd be a good place to start looking. I'd probably pick one of these in the 16" size, flat bottom, if I were buying a wok. But I've given up on the wok dream; it never works out. But hey, woks are stupid cheap. The one at that link is only $20. Can't hurt if you want to try it.

Zyzyxxz

fireside said:
Why does she want a wok? In my opinion, unless you have an actual wok range, woks are pretty impractical and lousy and a regular skillet or saute pan can do the job just as well.

But if she's dead set on a wok, I'd ignore Zyzyxxz's advice against the flat bottom wok. Again, unless you have an actual wok range where almost the entire wok is literally sitting in the gigantic fireball the range produces, a flat bottom will give you much better results with your standard electric or gas range. It will also stay still.

I've heard good things about The Wok Shop in various books, so that'd be a good place to start looking. I'd probably pick one of these in the 16" size, flat bottom, if I were buying a wok. But I've given up on the wok dream; it never works out. But hey, woks are stupid cheap. The one at that link is only $20. Can't hurt if you want to try it.

that is true though.

Especially if you have an electric stove then it probably wouldn't balance.

Still after so many years of using a wok I prefer round bottoms because I'm so use to making the motions with it.

spidye

Yes Boss! said:
Made a big pot of vegetarian Ghormeh Sabzi. Instead of lamb I upped the kidney bean and then added a few cups of cooked black-eyed peas. Also added a dozen fried blue baby potatoes (which unfortunately turned dark brown). Put some butter at the finish to compensate for the lack of fat.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1030144.jpg

that's not ghorme sabzi

That's ghorme sabzi:
ghormehsabzi2007.jpg

or a better pic:
ghormeh-sabzi-400.jpg

are you from Iran or India?

Yes Boss!

spidye said:
that's not ghorme sabzi

are you from Iran or India?

Neither.

That was my spin on a vegetarian version, for fun. Yeah, I know what it is traditionally. I dunno, I'm not really one to think that certain regional dishes are sacred. It is fun to play around with them...especially, easy one-pot meals like that.

smurfx said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb

you ever been on these guys channel?

Nope, but subscribed now! I love BBQ food but very rarely get to eat any and have so very little experience among eating a variety.

Spin the wheel vote Iron GAF....which cheese shall I try for tomorrow's dinner experiment: The Cave Aged Gruyere or this Edam Ball out of Holland? The other will be devoured next week as the Mild Cheddar is shredded in a package and thus should keep awhile with a good date and such.

spidye

Yes Boss! said:
Neither.

That was my spin on a vegetarian version, for fun. Yeah, I know what it is traditionally. I dunno, I'm not really one to think that certain regional dishes are sacred. It is fun to play around with them...especially, easy one-pot meals like that.
I just thought maybe you are from there since not many people know ghorme sabzi. It's one of my favourite food.
I find actually pretty awesome that you know this dish.

Yes Boss!

spidye said:
I just thought maybe you are from there since not many people know ghorme sabzi. It's one of my favourite food.
I find actually pretty awesome that you know this dish.

It is a dish that my twin brother and his girlfriend like to make. Though they like to add some fresh mint to theirs which might be a faux-pax. I posted his version a few pages back that we did with lamb and basmati. I like fresh lime juice squeezed on top, personally. I did grow up in Saudi but there was not much Persian food there (we even called it the Arabian Gulf :lol). Never had a chance to visit Iran, unfortunately, since the Iran-Iraq was was in full swing when I was 5 years old. We do have an incredible Persian community here in southern Orange County, CA, though.

spidye

Yes Boss! said:
It is a dish that my twin brother and his girlfriend like to make. Though they like to add some fresh mint to theirs which might be a faux-pax. I posted his version a few pages back that we did with lamb and basmati. I like fresh lime juice squeezed on top, personally. I did grow up in Saudi but there was not much Persian food there (we even called it the Arabian Gulf :lol). Never had a chance to visit Iran, unfortunately, since the Iran-Iraq was was in full swing when I was 5 years old. We do have an incredible Persian community here in southern Orange County, CA, though.
yeah I heard about the persian community in CA. I think farsi is even one of the official languages there. :lol
as far as I know you actually can use fresh mint for ghorme sabzi. I use ist too.
Iran was actually once a really nice place. we have a rich cuisine and very old historical places. It's a shame what happened to Iran in less than 30 years.
anyway, it's called the persian gulf :p

Yes Boss!

Nothing cooking tonight. I wanted to make something with a green mango that my brother bought for me at the chinese market but felt like making Big Macs instead.

I used 2oz patties, put a little extra cheese on the top layer and used finely diced white onions instead of the rehydrated stuff that the Golden Arches uses. My special sauce was: mayo, ketchup, sweet relish, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper. Meat was super cheap 70/30 but I forgot just how wonderful it cooks on a flattop with all that fat.

P1030188.jpg

Yes Boss! said:
Nothing cooking tonight. I wanted to make something with a green mango that my brother bought for me at the chinese market but felt like making Big Macs instead.

I used 2oz patties, put a little extra cheese on the top layer and used finely diced white onions instead of the rehydrated stuff that the Golden Arches uses. My special sauce was: mayo, ketchup, sweet relish, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper. Meat was super cheap 70/30 but I forgot just how wonderful it cooks on a flattop with all that fat.

P1030188.jpg

That looks real good man!

Tf53

ElectricThunder said:

My god. Inspired by this video, I decided to try this with beef for Sunday's Independence Day Lunch (Finland, for anyone wondering). I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Tf53 said:
My god. Inspired by this video, I decided to try this with beef for Sunday's Independence Day Lunch (Finland, for anyone wondering). I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Please do! This struck me as a "brave new frontier of possibilities" kind of thing.

Otherwise, the Cave Aged Gruyere tonight was pretty good---yet another very stubborn to melt one, though nowhere near as much as the Smoked Gouda; 6 minutes seeming to do the trick despite that riding the ragged edge of disaster gyro wise. Good smell, good grip, just nice. Somewhat hoping the Edam Ball is one of the ones that melt a bit faster for a change of pace though, not to mention that allowing for a nice, soft, hot gyro as opposed to one that done and on the firm size with these stubborn cheeses of late.

UrokeJoe

Yes Boss! said:

P1030188.jpg

Wow! better than McDonald's

Zyzyxxz

Yes Boss! said:

P1030188.jpg

dam what a surprise to see you post something that isnt Indian or Middle Eastern inspired.

Tf53

Turned out really well. I had about a kilogram of beef shoulder, coated it in cajun mix and salt, had it in the oven in 100C for 10 hours in about 4 dl of beef broth. Took it out of the broth, chopped it up, reduced the broth and added a bit of sugar and cream. Mixed with the meat for ultimate deliciousness. Served with a nice mixed salad to please the missus, who is a newly converted omnivore.

image-5809_4B1B8736.jpg

image-B6FD_4B1B8736.jpg

image-2E7F_4B1B8736.jpg

image-01B7_4B1B8736.jpg

Tf53 said:
Turned out really well. I had about a kilogram of beef shoulder, coated it in cajun mix and salt, had it in the oven in 100C for 10 hours in about 4 dl of beef broth. Took it out of the broth, chopped it up, reduced the broth and added a bit of sugar and cream. Mixed with the meat for ultimate deliciousness. Served with a nice mixed salad to please the missus, who is a newly converted omnivore.

That looks fantastic. Now I'm even more curious to give this a shot with something around here like Buffalo or maybe even Lamb. I might well be about to get a year+ supply of venison as well in the near future! :D :D :D

Yes Boss!

I do something like that with pork shoulder...slow cook it then strain the fat/broth and reduce it, then mix it with the meat and broil it off in the oven. Super tender and well lubricated with fat but not as heavy as if it was deep-fried in pork lard.

Looks good Tf53!

Blablurn

Yes Boss! said:

P1030188.jpg

holy mother of sweet little jesus! THIS IS AWESOME!

jarosh

wife made these absolutely delicious gingerbread men the other day:

gbread1.jpg

gbread2.jpg

and i made some traditional fresh (and very yummy) swiss rösti:

roesti.jpg

(boiled potatoes, gruyère cheese, plenty of butter, salt, two sunny side ups)

jarosh

Schrade said:
Er boiled potatoes? That looks like hash browns...which are fried.
i listed the ingredients. and for rösti you use pre-boiled potatoes. i thought it was obvious that they're fried. you do indeed grate them and then fry them. but the point is that they're boiled first. rösti is somewhat similar to hash browns, that's correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rösti (the wiki article fails to mention that proper rösti is made from boiled potatoes though :p)

Xelinis

Steak au Poivre. (Sorry for the less-than-stellar photo quality, these were taken with my iPhone and resized on Photobucket.)

0991fbffd.jpg

259b4c81.jpg

8dfd30f8.jpg

7ffff0a1.jpg

d02b6905.jpg

a3173374.jpg

6ad91a64.jpg

d8ad97d9.jpg

1bb34900.jpg

e1b85cc8.jpg

27dda585878.jpg

b9385dbb.jpg

M Tyson

Banned
for lunch today:

bacon slow fried in some coconut oil till perfectly crisp w/ scrambled eggs with milk, medium cheddar, parmesean, paprika, onion powder, garlic.

topped with some more cheddar and parsley and served w/ salsa

Zyzyxxz

So the more I see and read about it the more I am interested in trying out cooking via sous vide.

I was thinking about buying one of these:

http://freshmealssolutions.com/inde...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1&Itemid=31

Since I have several rice cookers at home I can experiment to my heart's delight.

Anybody have experience with this or suggestions? I don't expect much of a response though since until recently it was too expensive for home cooks to get into.

Jefklak

I love pesto. I used to hate it, strange. So, asking myself, what can I do with it besides using as a simple yet delicious sauce for pasta?

Well, this -

14ub6sy.jpg

Mashed patatoes + pesto + bamboo-steamed salmon with ginger and lemon.
So simple to make...

Anybody else pesto-lovers?
Oh, I also used it with queensbread (based on milk and an egg added) - awesome:

sdie7k.jpg

(Lesser quality, cellphone pic)

Since I'm getting the hang of adding extra cool stuff into bread, I just keep on going:

wvrfhk.jpg

Left: ciabatta-attempt with moonseeds (chef john's 18hr no-knead recipe) + own thing: patato/turmeric bread. That was exceptionally awesome and yellow-ish :D

Edit: shit, last page... (help?)

Jefklak

Jefklak said:
I love pesto. I used to hate it, strange. So, asking myself, what can I do with it besides using as a simple yet delicious sauce for pasta?

Well, this -

14ub6sy.jpg

Mashed patatoes + pesto + bamboo-steamed salmon with ginger and lemon.
So simple to make...

Anybody else pesto-lovers?
Oh, I also used it with queensbread (based on milk and an egg added) - awesome:

sdie7k.jpg

(Lesser quality, cellphone pic)

Since I'm getting the hang of adding extra cool stuff into bread, I just keep on going:

wvrfhk.jpg

Left: ciabatta-attempt with moonseeds (chef john's 18hr no-knead recipe) + own thing: patato/turmeric bread. That was exceptionally awesome and yellow-ish :D

Edit: shit, last page... (help?)

Well okay I'll bump it myself then
(with valid excuse to get the thread to the frontpage again)

Yes Boss!

Looks good Jefklak...especially the potato bread. Do you use a dehydrated potato product? That would be great for a thick-sliced grilled-chees sandwich.

Haven't been cooking much myself in the last few days but I did make an eggplant-tomato curry that was quite tasty. It has some curry leaves in it and is finished with roasted peanuts and sesame seeds that have been ground and then added at the last minute. This dish got even better when it hit room temperature.

I'm curious if anybody has made their own tahini paste? I've got a lot of sesame seeds here and I'd like to try that.

P1030202.jpg

Also, made some samosas. These little guys are deceptively difficult but with practice the shape could be improved. Just stuffed with the standard potato/pea/chili/corriander filling. Served it with tamarind chutney that I made a few months back (with black salt) which has developed nicely in the fridge.

P1030208.jpg

Tf53

Flo_Evans said:
Thinking about roasting a ham. I am hosting my family's christmas dinner and we have always had ham. I found this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html but it seems like there is a high chance of fucking it up... I might just chicken out and get a pre baked honey baked ham. :lol

Anyone have any experience roasting a ham? I never realized how expensive or what an intensive process it was.
Low temp, long cooking time. Slightly overcooked ham is delish. It's not as daunting as it may seem.

Riou

This thread is full of all kinds of awesome. Oh and ChryZ, i saw some of your recipes from another thread and saw a picture of the kim chi fried rice that you made. I would really like that recipe so i could try and make it myself. Thanks a lot.

Zyzyxxz

Riou said:
This thread is full of all kinds of awesome. Oh and ChryZ, i saw some of your recipes from another thread and saw a picture of the kim chi fried rice that you made. I would really like that recipe so i could try and make it myself. Thanks a lot.

I don't think I've seen ChryZ post in a while, he use to do some really tasty looking Korean food.

Anyway try www.tastespotting.com for a kimchi fried rice recipe. I typical just chop up kimchi and make fried rice the usual way.

ChryZ

Riou said:
I posted something about Omuraisu, but I'm pretty sure I never posted a kimchi fried rice recipe or picture. I love kimchi, but fried rice is pretty much my least favorite "application" of it. Sorry, I guess you have to rely on google or Zyzyxxz's suggestion.

Zyzyxxz said:
I don't think I've seen ChryZ post in a while, he use to do some really tasty looking Korean food.

Anyway try www.tastespotting.com for a kimchi fried rice recipe. I typical just chop up kimchi and make fried rice the usual way.
>____>

There was a post from me on the previous page, hehe.

Natetan

I make kimchee fried rice quite regularly. Tips:

I usually add Nira. You can use green onions if you can only find those. Cut them about an inch or so long, and add them at the last minute so they dont get overcooked. It really completes the whole thing and makes it look fantastic.

I follow a recipe that uses butter rather than oil. This is good for burning the rice and makes it crispy!

Burn the rice. Not overly so, but so there's little bits of brown but not quite yet black areas. It will taste great!

I usually add some tofu and some nice mushrooms to my fried rice.

Don't forget the kochujan!

Had my garlic bread fried chicken sandwich last night to make up well after the fact my disaster of a birthday last week. Worked out to be pretty good despite being out of the parsely and the grocery store was freaking out of the awesome crackers I discovered that I'd planned to turn into dust for dry seasoning. Market was out of big loaf bread as well so it was just 4 skinny slices combined.

Riou

Well thanks a lot for that website Zyzyxxz, gonna try and find some recipes from that site. Also thanks to Natetan for the tips.

And yeah ChryZ posted in the last page with the awesome looking Teriyaki Salmon Donburi.
For the Kim Chi fried rice, i was referring to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 4540372&postcount=28

I'm also gonna try the Dak Gochujang Bokum recipe cuz it looks amazing and doesn't seem that hard to make.

Edit: I found the recipe to the kim chi fried rice, didn't see that ChryZ was quoting another poster :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom