• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
I posted something about Omuraisu, but I'm pretty sure I never posted a kimchi fried rice recipe or picture. I love kimchi, but fried rice is pretty much my least favorite "application" of it. Sorry, I guess you have to rely on google or Zyzyxxz's suggestion.

>____>

There was a post from me on the previous page, hehe.

oh yeah you did!

Well I remember you posted quite a few in the older threads.

Jefklak

Yes Boss! said:
Looks good Jefklak...especially the potato bread. Do you use a dehydrated potato product? That would be great for a thick-sliced grilled-chees sandwich.

Thanks, yours too as usual!
I actually used one big-ass cooked & mashed potato (about 120gram?), milk, and an egg. All those things make the bread very "mushy" and wet, which is awesome. The taste of the turmeric isn't that much present here, I added it mostly for the color.

ChryZ

Riou said:
I'm also gonna try the Dak Gochujang Bokum recipe cuz it looks amazing and doesn't seem that hard to make.
It's indeed pretty quick'n'easy. The recipe can also easily modified by adding all kind of veggies. I love to add zucchini, green onions or even mushrooms.

Yes Boss!

Jefklak said:
Thanks, yours too as usual!
I actually used one big-ass cooked & mashed potato (about 120gram?), milk, and an egg. All those things make the bread very "mushy" and wet, which is awesome. The taste of the turmeric isn't that much present here, I added it mostly for the color.

Sounds good. I'll make one tonight, just gotta pull out the old Kitchen-aid.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Riou said:
Well thanks a lot for that website Zyzyxxz, gonna try and find some recipes from that site. Also thanks to Natetan for the tips.

And yeah ChryZ posted in the last page with the awesome looking Teriyaki Salmon Donburi.
For the Kim Chi fried rice, i was referring to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 4540372&postcount=28

I'm also gonna try the Dak Gochujang Bokum recipe cuz it looks amazing and doesn't seem that hard to make.

Edit: I found the recipe to the kim chi fried rice, didn't see that ChryZ was quoting another poster :lol

Kimchi is one word.:D

I normally make simple Bulgogi along with my Kimchi Bokkeumbap so I can fry the rice with a little of the Bulgogi juice left in the pan.

Here's roughly what I do:

1 pound of beef (thin sliced) marinaded for 2 hours

Marinade:
3 tbs of soy sauce, 3 tbs of water, 2 tbs of sugar, 1 tbs of honey, 1tbs of sesame oil, 1tbs of toasted sesame seeds, 2 chopped green onions, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 ts of black pepper.

Cook that up in a pan leaving a a bit of the juice for the Kimchi bokkeumbap.

Cook about 1 cup of chopped Kimchi up in the juice, add 1tbs of hot pepper paste, then about 2-3 cups or so of cooked rice and stir fry. Just before serving mix in a little sesame oil and sprinkle a little chopped dried seaweed and sesame seeds over the top.

My wife likes it when I chop the Bulgogi up and put it in the Kimchi Bokkeumbap, but I prefer to keep them separate myself.

Edit: Oh I forgot one important part. I usually fry an egg and put it over a serving of the Kimchi bokkeumbap. Don't overcook the yolk, it's so good mixed in.:D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Move is almost over, a bit of cosmetical detail still due, but nobody got hurt, cat adopted to the new place in like 15 minutes (hauling her ass to the new flat was disastrous, though), nothing broke (apart from bank acct.) and flat is coming along nicely so far...

Good to see you back, ChryZ, missed your dishes.

Keep it coming, folks!

-PXG-

Yes Boss! said:
Nothing cooking tonight. I wanted to make something with a green mango that my brother bought for me at the chinese market but felt like making Big Macs instead.

I used 2oz patties, put a little extra cheese on the top layer and used finely diced white onions instead of the rehydrated stuff that the Golden Arches uses. My special sauce was: mayo, ketchup, sweet relish, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper. Meat was super cheap 70/30 but I forgot just how wonderful it cooks on a flattop with all that fat.

P1030188.jpg

OM FUCKING NOM!

Reminds me of my dad's burgers. His burgers are da bomb!

ChryZ

I came down with something. Not sure, if it was the bacon sweats or just a regular flu. Anyway, perfect timing for homemade chicken soup.

chickensoup.jpg

Schrade

That looks heavenly! I love chicken soup.

I made a nice braised pot roast recently and turned the remainders into a nice beef soup. No pictures but it was damn good :)

ChryZ said:
I came down with something. Not sure, if it was the bacon sweats or just a regular flu. Anyway, perfect timing for homemade chicken soup.

chickensoup.jpg

I am quoting this so that people know how awesome this picture is. I love the food that is made in this thread, but sometimes the pictures don't show how good the food is. Take note and learn from ChryZ. Please.

ChryZ

Thanks. You guys are way too kind. I've sort of graduated from my trusty point'n'shot FinePix F30 to a micro four thirds Pana/Lumix GF1 and it's pretty easy to take nice pictures with it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So ok, I have these things: eggs, milk, flour, cheese, sugar, ramen noodles.

Anything decent and easy I can make with any combination of these things that isn't incredibly obvious like pancakes and stuff?

Zyzyxxz

Lost Fragment said:
So ok, I have these things: eggs, milk, flour, cheese, sugar, ramen noodles.

Anything decent and easy I can make with any combination of these things that isn't incredibly obvious like pancakes and stuff?

Cheese croquette.

Get the ramen noodles and dry blend them up using a food processor or just mash them really good with a strong heavy pan.

Form the cheese into a a cylinder shape or whatever works for you.

Roll cheese in flour.

Dip into beaten eggs (or if you feel like taking a risk, mix the eggs and milk)

Roll and pat with ramen bread crumbs.

Deep fry. And I guess you can roll it in sugar just to use all the ingredients.

OR

Mac n Cheese.

Warm milk, melt cheese in it and put it over almost fully cooked ramen and bake.

Yes Boss!

Made one final ice cream batch for the winter before I pack away the maker till next fall. This one is flavored with rose water (about a 1/4 cup in the batch) and vanilla bean. I topped it with edible rose petals I took off a bush in my neighbor's rose garden. This one is very rosy so you have to dig that flavor.

P1030248.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I've always liked the smell of rose water, since my friend's house always had some outside his door. It's very fragrant.

Are rose petals edible just like that or did you prep them in some way?

Either way it looks wonderful.

Yes Boss!

Zyzyxxz said:
I
Are rose petals edible just like that or did you prep them in some way?

I just put them on raw. I looked online and it said that rose petals are edible so long as they are not from a florist (pesticides and chemicals and all that).

What I was thinking about originally doing was dipping/spraying them with diluted glycerin and then dusting them with sugar to make them kinda candied. Not sure if that would work but I think it might turn out pretty.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Tonight I've made another batch of figgy pudding mix (See page 32, December 2007), about 10lbs of it! I'll be steaming one in half an hour.
zest.jpg

mould.jpg

fireside

fwjgm.jpg

Made some holla challah. Didn't think the oven spring would be so dramatic; probably should have let it rise a bit more before sticking it in. Oh well, it's not for me :lol

Yes Boss!

Made a few things this morning.

First is basic toor dal that I made in a breakfast fashion...going for a porridge-like consistency with no additions to mess with the flavor of the bean. Just standard spices along with fresh ginger and garlic. Cooked it al dente so the bean has a bit of a bite:

P1030291-2.jpg

And this is my attempt to make a dish that I like at a restaurant called the Royal Khyber here in Costa Mesa. A spicy lamb curry with fresh tomatoes added at the end. I wound up cooking the tomatoes a few minutes too long. I'm guessing they should be added only at the last 2 minutes instead of 10 (they started to break down):

P1030296-1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Extremely nice-looking dishes, everybody! Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking of making apple/cheese pancakes tonight, interest in recipe/pics?

funk0ar

OnkelC said:
Extremely nice-looking dishes, everybody! Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking of making apple/cheese pancakes tonight, interest in recipe/pics?

Joke question?

Of course we want them! Pics by anyone are always appreciated, especially zee onkel!

New to thread, and omg I love it. I'm not terribly well versed in cooking but I can manage. One thing I love to do especially around the holiday season is to make cookies, I'm a cookie monster.

My friends and I will make these 4-5 times between November - February and I'll make them once myself for Christmas with the family.

P1010021.jpg

I love these cookies! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Here's Kitchen:
P1040881Large.jpg

Here's a scrambled egg that I'll challenge the overcomplicated Ramsey stuff with some day:
P1040864Large.jpg

P1040868Large.jpg

P1040869Large.jpg

Here's pancakes:
P1040884Large.jpg

P1040890Large.jpg

Enjoy!

optimiss

Yes Boss! said:
...and then to Saudi, where I spent my childhood.

I spent my childhood in Saudi too. Where were you? I was in Riyadh for 7 years from 89-96 (though the last 3 were partially in Saudi and partially at boarding school.) And now I'm working in San Francisco. Small world. :p

Yes Boss!

optimiss said:
I spent my childhood in Saudi too. Where were you? I was in Riyadh for 7 years from 89-96 (though the last 3 were partially in Saudi and partially at boarding school.) And now I'm working in San Francisco. Small world. :p

We were in Jubail from 1976 to the late eighties. Though we were in Dhahran for a few months at the beginning. Looks like we were leaving just as you guys were getting there! Fun times.

optimiss

Yes Boss! said:
We were in Jubail from 1976 to the late eighties. Though we were in Dhahran for a few months at the beginning. Looks like we were leaving just as you guys were getting there! Fun times.

Awww, neat. The one thing I miss more than anything is Saudi style chicken shwarmas with the pickle, garlic sauce and french fries. NOONE makes them like that outside of Saudi. Luckily I've managed to scrape together a pretty decent recipe. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom