• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
beelzebozo said:
ha, i have that same problem with the stone size, applesauce! i kind of just want to get two big pieces of quarry tile and put them on the bottom of my oven, so the whole thing is just a big cooking surface. haven't gotten around to it yet though.

Someone recommended lining the bottom oven rack with firebricks to me, haven't tried it yet though. I imagine it would work as long as there aren't any gaps in between them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
made some multigrain bagels this morning

289vv45.jpg

2ly5oxi.jpg

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
Keen said:
So, the other day me and a couple of friends had some wine and food (apologies in advance for wall of pics).

that is absolutely out of this world and you, sir, are awesome.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keen, awesome culinary debauchery, I highly respect that!:D

The other end of the culinary spectrum tonight at ours:
P10409531024x768.jpg

in case anybody is wondering, it's Dill.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Thanks, the whole wine thing is starting to become a serious obsession. My wallet cries :'(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A little late.

I've made special dumplings, steak (enough to feed 20+ people), sticky rice, cajun crab (picture is not of finished dish) and Jello for Xmas.

Pictures are out of wack since I only had time to take them here and there. All are unique. Sticky rice is a staple Asian thing. You can eat it with like everything. The jello has a very exotic taste to it. It has two layers. The bottom has some sort of eggnog-ish taste.

The thing in the bowl is for literal English translation called sweet water. It's basically flour mixed in with coconut extract and a bunch of other goodies. Ala Asian fruit which the name escapes my mind at the moment.

Also had chilly sauce for the steak.

4vfevc.jpg

90y8ag.jpg

24ozvo8.jpg

dr5r9c.jpg

2uel9cl.jpg

Yes Boss! said:
More stuff I made today...similar stuff with minor modifications. Nothing too exciting.

Jeera Rice. This one I added dried dehydrated brown onions in at the last five minutes:

[IG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1030441-1.jpg[/IMG]

Another Chicken Tikka Masala. I doubled the spices (literally two scoops of everything, since I don't measure but usually do one scoop of most spices), left out the silly food coloring, doubled the yogurt to make more gravy and used red onions in an attempt for more color:

[IG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1030444-1.jpg[/IMG]

Another spin at Eggplant Tomato curry. Doubled the ground peanuts, added ground cashew and sprinkled some extra raw sesame on top:

[IG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1030445-1.jpg[/IMG]

Any recipes or guidelines? I'd love to learn some indian food, and yours looks amazing.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I love couscous. I have recipes for most things, but realized I have very few involving couscous. Anyone have anything good? :D

sorry if it's already been mentioned, if so just point me to the post

xelios said:
I love couscous. I have recipes for most things, but realized I have very few involving couscous. Anyone have anything good? :D

sorry if it's already been mentioned, if so just point me to the post

I brown some finely chopped shallot or onion and carrot and some herbs then add chicken stock and once that's boiling I add my couscous turn of the heat, let it sit for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.

I also make lamb kebabs to go with it. You use cheap lamb shoulder chops, cut up in chunks with spices like cumin and smoked paprika. Mince up the lamb, add some finely minced onion and form these long sausage like kebabs over a metal skewer. Throw them on the bbq for a while until they're nicely browned up and serve with couscous or flatbread with home made hummus and tzatziki and marinated cucumber and tomato salad.

Gyro Pizza Update: If you've somehow, as I have, not yet eaten some Muenster cheese----DO SO! Worked out fantastically tonight, especially in the 2nd round theme where I tried "Chaos under the Surface" for the first time. Quick melt, lends to nice mess perhaps with some grease, OM NOM NOM.

Shot in dark Lebanese question, ATL/Athens, GA GAF in particular perhaps:

Is there/what is a "third sauce" you'd perhaps find in a nice gryro wrap ala the old Cedar Tree Lebanese place that closed down a ways back? Tzatziki and Tahini I know of roughly and I don't think are what I remember---this was a "red sauce" along with likely both of those and lettuce/tomato with a consistency not far removed from the likes of BBQ/Marinara/Salad Dressing...no seeds or such to it. The only time I ever tasted it was my first and only trip to Cedar Tree years ago where I ordered a large beef/lamb gyro to try blind...then 45 seconds or so later....ordered another.

Went to the Fungus Fair in Santa Cruz, CA with the boyfriend today. It was AWESOME. Got some oyster mushroom fritters and some sort of pork and mushroom stew that reminded me of OnkelC's recipe. IS IT YET ANOTHER SIGN?!

18370_638910027628_60710639_36134080_5028121_n.jpg

Thai Three Mushroom Soup (they ran out of bowls):
18370_638910022638_60710639_36134079_4088595_n.jpg

Random fungus pics for fun:
18370_638910032618_60710639_36134081_2453455_n.jpg

18370_638910047588_60710639_36134084_5747978_n.jpg

18370_638910052578_60710639_36134085_1374833_n.jpg

Always been a huge fan of oyster mushrooms but those fritters were definitely awesome. Have to try that sometime. :D

Wow, just everything on this page is pretty amazing looking.

Just want to say this thread (and OnkelC) is one of the reasons I decided to apply to culinary school and I start on Monday! Hopefully I'll get some good pics in here!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thought I'd throw my hat into the culinary ring.
20IWA.jpg
[/IMG]

It's a herb and panko crusted lamb, with porcini and siracha Israeli cous cous.

projectkuro said:

Just want to say this thread (and OnkelC) is one of the reasons I decided to apply to culinary school and I start on Monday! Hopefully I'll get some good pics in here!

What school?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Beelzebozo, nice cake! Next step should be the bottomless cheesecake I posted somewhere earlier!:lol

CrystalGemini, just try the recipe, it's dead simple and delish.

Kadey, drool.:D

Wandering Wind, welcome to IronGAF. Did you prepare and shoot it? Recipe would be great.

projectkuro said:

Best of luck! Please keep us posted of your culinary progress.

Edit:
ElectricThunder, would be nice to see some pics next time around. The red sauce could be something along the lines of Ajvar or Sriracha:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajvar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally got my carbon steel wok. 12.60 for such an amazing piece of cookware. Bought it from a local asian market/restaurant supply place.

Unseasoned
4258148816_5898d3764f_o.jpg

Seasoned
4257390531_e64fdd47c5_o.jpg

First Dish
4258147704_cf58ab2613_o.jpg

4258147872_7af3617d92_o.jpg

WanderingWind

OnkelC said:
Wandering Wind, welcome to IronGAF. Did you prepare and shoot it? Recipe would be great.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, that's all my own recipes, plating, photography etc. Everything on the plate was made from scratch, including the panko.

Herb crust - Panko, fresh sage, thyme and chives. Parsley could add a little extra green, and if I was prepping it for a restaurant, I'd add some. As I was cooking for my personal taste, I didn't add it. Blended them together in a processor with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

Lamb - Just a rack of lamb, picked it up that morning. Seared in cast iron with olive oil, then rolled in panko. Finished in oven at 350. Mid-rare

Cous-Cous - I love Israeli cous-cous! Toasted in a pan with, yes, olive oil, and threw in porcini and shittake mushrooms. Add liquid of your choice, stock, bouillon or white wine. Simmer on low heat for around 10 minutes. Add S&P. I added some siracha (I can't spell that damn stuff. ROOSTER SAUCE!) and some ground coriander.

Not pictured, I made a Bailey's and Lavender chocolate bread pudding. It was eaten before I could snap a pic...

Been meaning to post this for a while now........

It's def not that healthy but it's great for snack food with a lot of people around.

What you will need
2 Cups of Pecans (halved)
Hot sauce
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
butter

P1010668.jpg

What you will need
P1010669.jpg

Mix ALL of it together in a bowl
2 tablespoons of Hot sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons of butter
TAKE NOTE THIS CAN BE CHANGED TO YOUR LIKING
add pecans after the butter has melted and MIX WELL
P1010672.jpg

Spread them out
then bake at 425 for 20-30 mins stirring frequently
P1010674.jpg

then enjoy
P1010680.jpg

P1010676.jpg

WanderingWind said:
What school?

Pearson School of Culinary Arts in Montreal. It's one of the two English schools here in town and I suppose the better of the two. There's a much better school, but the instruction is in French only so I decided to pass on that.

WanderingWind

projectkuro said:
Pearson School of Culinary Arts in Montreal. It's one of the two English schools here in town and I suppose the better of the two. There's a much better school, but the instruction is in French only so I decided to pass on that.

Well, I wish you luck. I'm a culinary school grad myself. Hope you have a good time, man.

PS. The French are the best cooks in the world, hands down. They also know it, unfortunately, so their chefs are arrogant on a level unheard of...:lol

Yes Boss!

elrechazao said:
Any recipes or guidelines? I'd love to learn some indian food, and yours looks amazing.

No guidelines, sadly. As I'm just an amateur cook who cruises the internet for recipe ideas and techniques. Within a few weeks of cooking you kinda learn which spices need to be fried and which need to be boiled and the few basic steps. I tend to combine multiple recipes from various strangers and rinse and repeat till I find out what works for me.

Cooking-wise, I just finished my work weekend and was enjoying some beers and did not want to cook so I made an open-faced pastrami sandwich. Bread was sweet brioche and the cheese was gruyere.

P1030500.jpg

P1030506.jpg

Zyzyxxz

WanderingWind said:
Thought I'd throw my hat into the culinary ring.
20IWA.jpg
[/IMG]

It's a herb and panko crusted lamb, with porcini and siracha Israeli cous cous.
?

Wow you made the lamb the exact way I did (I used panko also) but your presentation is way nicer! THough the pieces are oddly shaped, it looks like those lamb racks were Frenched too much.

What ratio of stock/liquid to cous cous did you use to get it puff up that big?

I've only made it once and mine came out very small (I used 1.5 cups of liquid to 1 cup of cous cous)

WanderingWind

Zyzyxxz said:
Wow you made the lamb the exact way I did (I used panko also) but your presentation is way nicer! THough the pieces are oddly shaped, it looks like those lamb racks were Frenched too much.

What ratio of stock/liquid to cous cous did you use to get it puff up that big?

I've only made it once and mine came out very small (I used 1.5 cups of liquid to 1 cup of cous cous)

Thanks!

The pieces weren't frenched too much, but I lacked a cleaver to take off the ends bones. In a restaurant, I'd figure a way to do that, but at home...eh. :D Also, with using the very end piece, in most cases you'd serve the small end (the end where the chain is largest) with two bones. Again, at home, I didn't care so much.

Are you using Israeli cous-cous or regular cous-cous? Israeli is a bigger piece by nature. I used stock to flavor...didn't measure with anything else.

Zyzyxxz

WanderingWind said:
Thanks!

The pieces weren't frenched too much, but I lacked a cleaver to take off the ends bones. In a restaurant, I'd figure a way to do that, but at home...eh. :D Also, with using the very end piece, in most cases you'd serve the small end (the end where the chain is largest) with two bones. Again, at home, I didn't care so much.

Are you using Israeli cous-cous or regular cous-cous? Israeli is a bigger piece by nature. I used stock to flavor...didn't measure with anything else.

I must have used regular, in fact I didn't know there were different kinds since I assumed it was just some sort of flour/grain.

Is Israeli cous cous labeled differently or is it just called that?

WanderingWind

Zyzyxxz said:
I must have used regular, in fact I didn't know there were different kinds since I assumed it was just some sort of flour/grain.

Is Israeli cous cous labeled differently or is it just called that?

It's labeled different, and looks like tiny pearls. It can be used in all the same applications though.

bovo

It's been ages since I posted in this thread, but got a new camera so have taken quite a few pictures recently which I can bore you all with..

First though, I uploaded these pictures about 6 months ago and never got round to posting them:

Chicken Kebabs

Halloumi kebabs

Newer pictures - Roast Beef from New Year's Day:

Roast potatoes with rosemary:

Served with other stuff - the thing at the back is meant to be a yorkshire pudding, but tried making it with egg replacer and it didn't really rise (at all) - still tasted ok though...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Zyzyxxz said:
NICE! How long did it take you to get it that seasoned?

You should see mine, its all black after years of use but its so great it'd be hard to replace it and start over!
That was after only doing the paper towel oil rubbing method and cooking half an onion(did not eat it, was just to aid in the seasoning). :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
MThanded said:
That was after only doing the paper towel oil rubbing method and cooking half an onion(did not eat it, was just to aid in the seasoning). :D

What trick? I also have a wok, but I dont think I ever seasoned it properly.

And is there a brewers and bakers thread or is it all in here? :D

Here's a few of mine:

A french bread boule:
DSC00052.JPG

A fruit tart made by my wife:
DSC00053.JPG

A turkey spinach "quiche" of sorts:
IMG_0638.JPG

I will post some of my beers and other breads as well later.

Zyzyxxz

AndyD said:
What trick? I also have a wok, but I dont think I ever seasoned it properly.

There are a bunch of different ways, my mother uses chicken fat, skin, or just a really fatty thigh and cooks it in the pan and smears its all around.

Al-ibn Kermit

Keen said:
Sine Qua Non...
Ornellaia 04 to drink.
I've been told by some wine snobs to stay far away from those actually. It seems like they're the type that try to sell the bottles simply by adding a zero to the price tag.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
I've been told by some wine snobs to stay far away from those actually. It seems like they're the type that try to sell the bottles simply by adding a zero to the price tag.
Sine Qua Non's release price from the winery isn't absurdly high; the prices get ridiculous on the secondary market as opportunists flip their allocations with a 400% markup.

Al-ibn Kermit

Hcbk0702 said:
Sine Qua Non's release price from the winery isn't absurdly high; the prices get ridiculous on the secondary market as opportunists flip their allocations with a 400% markup.
Wow, I always thought knew that there had to be "middle men" that sit on the wine for a while but I didn't know they got profits like that for just essentially storing it.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Wow, I always thought knew that there had to be "middle men" that sit on the wine for a while but I didn't know they got profits like that for just essentially storing it.
I didn't mean retailers, I was talking about the people who are on Sine Qua Non's mailing list and then sell their annual allocation online at hugely inflated prices. That's the only way most people can get SQN as even high-end wine shops and retailers generally won't have it. Check online, you'll see nearly all the SQN wines available are sold on various online auction sites.

Zyzyxxz

Hcbk0702 said:

Doesn't it sell on hype and exclusiveness, that's what I heard for the kind of wine it is the price is seriously over inflated because the winery has a small production capacity.

Zyzyxxz said:
Doesn't it sell on hype and exclusiveness, that's what I heard for the kind of wine it is the price is seriously over inflated because the winery has a small production capacity.
Absolutely, SQN is one of the US's premier producers of Rhône blends (Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre and Roussane/Viognier mostly) and other eclectic wines and they are hyped through the roof. Like most top producers, their annual production is tiny and can't come close to satisfying the demand. The only other wineries in the US that have that kind of reputation would be Screaming Eagle (Cabernet Sauvignon), Harlan (Cabernet as well), Marcassin (Pinot Noir and Chardonnay) and their ilk. No doubt they are all hyper-exclusive "cult" wineries. Worth the insanely high prices? No, unless you're a rich wine collector looking for trophy bottles, a very high end restaurant like the French Laundry, or simply a guy lucky enough to find them on some amazing sale. But people love buying them for their stature and prestige (and to be fair, these wines usually are excellent).

Zyzyxxz

Aquavelvaman said:
I really want to be a high end cook but I'm pretty much starting from zero.

Here's my first attempt at homemade bread:
http://i46.tinypic.com/wit2z8.jpg[IMG]
Tasted good.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I've only got experience working in the front but I try to learn as much as possible. If you are located in SoCal we should get together some time for culinary experiments.

You bread looks pretty good, I'm still intimidated by baking due to my lack of an oven growing up thus my experience with dough is limited to eating them.

ChryZ

Made Oyakodon last night. Onion slices and chicken bits braised in sweetened bonito stock, topped with runny eggs, served on rice in a bowl. Really one of my favorite go-to dishes when cooking weekdays. It's usually prep'd and done when the rice is done, less than 30 minutes. Not much of a looker but always delicious.

p1000426.jpg

p1000426_film.jpg

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
Made Oyakodon last night. Onion slices and chicken bits braised in sweetened bonito stock, topped with runny eggs, served on rice in a bowl. Really one of my favorite go-to dishes when cooking weekdays. It's usually prep'd and done when the rice is done, less than 30 minutes. Not much of a looker but always delicious.
p1000426_film.jpg

Great pictures!

How do you get that gooey texture for the eggs though? I've never got it right when I try to make it.

Do you half cook the eggs and then let them finish on the bowl or something?

ChryZ

Zyzyxxz said:
Great pictures!

How do you get that gooey texture for the eggs though? I've never got it right when I try to make it.

Do you half cook the eggs and then let them finish on the bowl or something?
The piping hot stock will do the steamy job, just beat the eggs a little, add them to the pan, turn off the heat, cover the pan for 10-20 seconds and serve immediately. I learned this from the Japanese cooking show Dotch. Tendon versus Oyakodon :lol

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Al-ibn Kermit said:

Don't know about that, Manfred (owner and winemaker of SQN) has maintained pretty reasonable prices considering the amount of praise he receives from Parker, and the miniscule production. Sure, his wines are not for everyone, and these types of wines will always divide people (also see recent vintages of Pavie). But I've never heard of anyone accusing Manfred of price-gouging just to sell wines. If you read the numerous threads about SQN on eBob, pretty much everyone who's on the mailing list says that that is the last one that they will drop off.

FWIW I've always had great experiences with the SQN wines I've been fortunate enough to drink. For me, they definately live up to the hype. I agree that they are very expensive, and not something you buy a lot of (unless you are on the list) even if you can find any. Still, the price, list and aftermarket, of SQN is nowhere near that of Screaming Eagle and Harlan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom