• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

bovo said:
It's just a mention of the one non-standard ingredient (mustard) which I got from my mother made me want to post original! :lol

Actually I don't believe it's very non-standard. Every mac&cheese recipe I've seen calls for it.

bovo

Zoe said:
Actually I don't believe it's very non-standard. Every mac&cheese recipe I've seen calls for it.

Fair enough - i've never looked up the recipe - just used to make it one way and then changed it when it was suggested to me...

bovo

Changing the subject (!) here are a couple more pictures.

A spahetti bolognese (definitely non standard as it's made with soya mince...)

Attempt at a spanish omelette

Potato and onion fried in pan:

Egg added:

After top has been grilled:

Dinner is Grillled Chicken, marinated in Indian Spices for 14-15 hours with Grilled Onions.

30m27hh.jpg

Marinated in a Zip-lock bag this time, worked out well.

Still need to get better at getting uniform grilling though in the oven.

Zyzyxxz said:
Actually nutella isnt that unhealthy for you and you are using turkey bacon which isnt all that bad for you either.

But did it taste any good?

Ya, that's what I was thinking, for something seemingly decadent, it wasn't that bad. Plus it was 12 grain bread.

It tasted awesome.

jarosh

OnkelC said:
Maybe this is a first, I made a real time video of a dish...

Scrambled eggs (Ramsey, bow in shame):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oidZQ1WmBJ0
Enjoy and share your thoughts, please.
what kind of sahne is that you're using? is it actually sahne or a sort of schmelzkäse? or is it sahne made to last with those same salts they use to melt schmelzkäse? i've never seen that before. not even in germany.

jarosh said:
what kind of sahne is that you're using? is it actually sahne or a sort of schmelzkäse? or is it sahne made to last with those same salts they use to melt schmelzkäse? i've never seen that before. not even in germany.

I was just going to ask this, what's the equivalent product in the US? Google is telling me that sahne is cream, but cream here is usually thick liquid. Cream cheese? It seems to take a long time to melt.

Also what's the green stuff, chives?

Looks so delicious, if I weren't full of nutella right now I'd make some eggs.

jarosh

parrotbeak said:
I was just going to ask this, what's the equivalent product in the US? Google is telling me that sahne is cream, but cream here is usually thick liquid. Cream cheese? It seems to take a long time to melt.

Also what's the green stuff, chives?

Looks so delicious, if I weren't full of nutella right now I'd make some eggs.
well, sahne IS definitely cream. and it usually comes in form of a thick liquid in germany too. that's why i was wondering why something apparently called "sahne" in that video looks like processed cheese. let's see what onkel has to say...

(schnittlauch = chives)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh said:
It's "Schmelzkäse", a processed-cheese-based spread, the closest equivalent would be Milkana or Kraft Velve(e)ta.
Edit: Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_spread
The "Sahne" flavor just means it doesn't contain any additional stuff like herbs or similar, because of the nature of the product, a typisation like "Natur" or something similar would be kind of odd:lol

Edit 2:
Swiss folks should know the Brand "Gerber" as the inventor of "Schmelzkäse"
http://www.emmi-gerber.ch/deutsch/spezialitaeten/produkte/

jarosh said:

afaik it's a very creamy schmelzkäse

edit: damn, beaten by sec

Zyzyxxz

MidnightRider said:
I want to get more pasta in my diet.......

Can GAF help me out on some outstanding pasta dishes I should whip up and try?

carbonara.

Easy, quick, and easily modifiable.

Anyway the restaurant where I've been waiter/manager at for 5 months now is about to go out of business.

Well now that I have a bunch of cash saved up times to start buying sous vide equipment.

I'll get around to writing a guide and updating my progress since its a pretty difficult way of cooking to get into due to lack of accessible documentation.

Mr. Jonh

Banned
Just wanted to say thank you to all the poster and especially OnkelC for this magnificent thread, great work!

I still have to learn how to cook, but i'll be sure to mark my progress in this thread! :D :D

beje

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I want to get more pasta in my diet.......

Can GAF help me out on some outstanding pasta dishes I should whip up and try?

Try the salmon sauce. It's easy as hell and tastes awesome.

First of all, slice and dice some onion, a small salmon cutlet and a tomato per serving. Add a little oil in a frying pan and as soon as it's hot, add the onion and some salt over it. When it gets golden, add the tomato and stir until the tomato starts to melt. Add the salmon, stir a little more until it gets cooked (try not to overcook it or will be VERY dry), add your favorite spices (black peeper, parsil and oregano are the best for this recipe) then add to the pasta of your choice.

Protip: you can buy the tomato already on a can peeled and diced. Saves a lot of time. Also, let the salmon completely de-frost for an hour or more if you buy it frozen before slicing it.

MThanded said:
Damn no love for my pics at the top of the page :lol

I think you just got eclipsed by Onkel's scrambled egg video. I get hungry looking at your pics every time I came into this thread in the last couple days.

beje said:
Try the salmon sauce. It's easy as hell and tastes awesome.

First of all, slice and dice some onion, a small salmon cutlet and a tomato per serving. Add a little oil in a frying pan and as soon as it's hot, add the onion and some salt over it. When it gets golden, add the tomato and stir until the tomato starts to melt. Add the salmon, stir a little more until it gets cooked (try not to overcook it or will be VERY dry), add your favorite spices (black peeper, parsil and oregano are the best for this recipe) then add to the pasta of your choice.

Protip: you can buy the tomato already on a can peeled and diced. Saves a lot of time. Also, let the salmon completely de-frost for an hour or more if you buy it frozen before slicing it.

this sounds awesome! Thanks!

ChryZ

Made cajun blackened chicken breasts, steamed green beans and store-bought potato wedges:

p1000514.jpg

Not in the picture, but accompanied by some sour cream for dipping and such.

ChryZ

Thanks, spidye.

The spice mix can be found in one of my earlier posts:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 5130895&postcount=524

One table spoon of that seasoning, one table spoon of olive oil, one table spoon of soy sauce, one table spoon of balsamic vinegar and a tea spoon of honey ... per chicken breast. Marinade for a few hours.

The wedges take 20 minutes in the oven. Enough time to steam the beans (10 minutes) and to bbq-pan-fry the chicken. Ridiculous quick'n'easy, perfect for busy weekdays. Made some extra chicken for tomorrow: epic lunch sandwich incoming :D

Dejavu

Neo Member
Zyzyxxz said:
Nice, I've been wanting to make some again after trying a sweet potato and mince lamb combination.

The recipe i was using originally called for mince lamb but i traded for ground beef.

gamergirly said:
Makes you want to make a sandwich. I've never had Nutella. Is it better than Jiffs peanut butter?

It's a completely different animal from peanut butter. It's like pb if it were made out of delicious creamy milk chocolate. It's very sweet and nutty, no cocoa bitterness.

Zyzyxxz

Dejavu said:
The recipe i was using originally called for mince lamb but i traded for ground beef.
I'm shocked that minced lamb is so hard to find in national supermarket chains.

When I went looking for it the only place I could get some was at Whole Foods.

Seriously lamb needs to make a comeback in America, its so hard to find certain cuts unless you go to a specialty butcher

Slizz

gamergirly said:
Makes you want to make a sandwich. I've never had Nutella. Is it better than Jiffs peanut butter?
Nutella is like chocolate and hazelnut mixed into a peanut butter consistency. People either hate it or love it, I love it.

icarus-daedelus said:
Congratulations, son. The only way that could look more disgusting is if you added Vegemite! :D

I don't think we have Vegemite here, or I'd try it!

icarus-daedelus said:
Surely smoked pork belly is better for you than some weird processed mash up of turkey and preservatives.

Hmmm...

Two strips of Butterball turkey bacon contain 2.5 grams of fat and 70 calories (32% of which from fat); turkey bacon from Louis Rich and Mr. Turkey contain 5 and 4 grams of fat, respectively, per two slices. By comparison, two strips of regular pork bacon contain, on average, some 7 grams of fat. Andrew Smith, in The Turkey: An American Story, notes that turkey products (including bacon) contain, on average twice as much sodium as the pork products they replace.

I'd think the preservatives in mass produced pork bacon are prolly just as bad, but the salt is a concern. I guess anything that tastes that good is going to be bad. I've never used turkey bacon before and only bought it because it was on sale, about half the price of the regular bacon. I think it tastes pretty good and would use again. All in moderation.

Zyzyxxz

icarus-daedelus said:
Congratulations, son. The only way that could look more disgusting is if you added Vegemite! :D

Surely smoked pork belly is better for you than some weird processed mash up of turkey and preservatives.

Depends really.

Its not like the hog industry is all that clean. Have you seen some of the messed up shit many pigs live in?

Not that it stops me from buying and eating non-organic meat but I try to when it is priced reasonably for me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't have a wok, and I don't really ever use recipes I just put together what I think tastes good. That said here is my variation of schezwan beef (if you'd even call it that) I'd reffer to it as spicy beef strips on rice. Enjoy!

314tnpg.jpg

Red Bell Pepper, Red Chili Pepper, Habanero

o56hwz.jpg

Clearing out my sinuses.

173epz.jpg

I wish this shot would have turned out as good as it tasted.

RbBrdMan said:
I don't have a wok, and I don't really ever use recipes I just put together what I think tastes good. That said here is my variation of schezwan beef (if you'd even call it that) I'd reffer to it as spicy beef strips on rice. Enjoy!

I wish this shot would have turned out as good as it tasted.

Looks beautiful!

Makes me miss my habanero plant, which died last fall. Ran out of peppers already. I'd been trying to start a new plant, but between the reduced sunlight and me being away for a week here and there, none of the seedlings have grown higher than a few inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom