• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axion22

ChryZ said:
I'm so going to steal that idea.

291nbqw.jpg

It was just this that I mixed up before everything and left in the fridge while I did the rest of the prep.

ChryZ

Axion22 said:
http://i46.tinypic.com/291nbqw.jpg[IMG]

It was just this that I mixed up before everything and left in the fridge while I did the rest of the prep.[/QUOTE]
Such fancy products aren't available here in Europe. I'd use a "normal" cornbread recipe, but bake in a muffin pan instead of the usual iron pan.

levious said:
doesn't sound too different from chicken cacciatore... I'd have left the bones in though, unless you're just a boneless all the way person.

Thanks, I was thinking cacciatore. Actually I cooked with the bones and skin on and then deboned and skinned after they'd cooked for a couple hours, and then put the meat back in.

It added more time and effort than I thought it was worth so I left it out when I wrote up the recipe. I wasn't sure how many people would be coming, so wanted to make sure everyone got a little bit of chicken. Also it wasn't a sit-down party so I wanted it to be easy to eat with only a fork.

If I were making it for a smaller group, I would have used whole pieces with bones in (the skin fell off after cooking and I removed them because I thought the bacon fat made the dish fatty enough). But if I make it for a larger group potluck style again, I'd probably just debone before cooking.

ChryZ said:
Beats me, but the recipe sounds pretty good. I'd keep it as it is, don't try to make a faster version. Some dishes take time.

Thanks, I'll keep it, but it won't make it into my regular rotation. I was falling asleep before the party was even over! I've cooked for my friends many times before, but never put this much effort into it, so I was actually nervous when people started eating. Especially since I'd never made it before.

Axion22, that sounds great! I may try that later, but I'll keep the onions and mushrooms. I do agree with nixing the low fat!

Kangaboo

Neo Member
ChryZ said:
Such fancy products aren't available here in Europe. I'd use a "normal" cornbread recipe, but bake in a muffin pan instead of the usual iron pan.

Whoa! Y'all don't have Jiffy in the UK? Those things can be 3 for a dollar when they're on sale.

Heck. I'd be down for sending out a care package on this one! :p

beje

Banned
1iexeb.jpg

Avocado, turkey ham and cheese sandwich :D

Making the spread is as easy as mashing an avocado with salt, peeper, a tablespoon of olive oil and a little bit of vinegar.

Axion22

Kangaboo said:
Whoa! Y'all don't have Jiffy in the UK? Those things can be 3 for a dollar when they're on sale.

Heck. I'd be down for sending out a care package on this one! :p

I, too, am surprised, go figure. Makes sense tho, we're a corn nation.

I got two boxes for 88c.

Zyzyxxz

I was at the Japanese supermarket and bought a kurobuta shoulder butt (berkshire pork for those in the know).

It's so beautiful but I don't know what to cook with it! I just want to stare at it and its nice marbling!

ChryZ

Zyzyxxz said:
I was at the Japanese supermarket and bought a kurobuta shoulder butt (berkshire pork for those in the know).

It's so beautiful but I don't know what to cook with it! I just want to stare at it and its nice marbling!
[chants]tonkatsu, tonkatsu, tonkatsu, tonkatsu, tonkatsu, tonkatsu, tonkatsu[/chants]

Zyzyxxz

ChryZ said:
Uh, also nice. Would you share your recipe?

normally I use this one:

2 parts char siu sauce
1 parts black bean sauce
1 part soy sauce (or more if you want a darker and saltier pork)
1 tsp of sugar
put it into a pot with enough water to braise the pork shoulder (I try to use a pot thats close to the size of the meat as to not use too much water)

Usually takes about an hour to finish braising depending on how thick the meat is but it comes out tender but chewy too. You should end up with something similar to this (old picture)

2776551727_2a7377784c_b.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Okay, here's my first post.

Yesterday, I made a traditional puertorrican dish "arroz con gandules y chuleta". It's basically rice with pigeon peas and pork chops. The chops aren't the focus here. This is what it looks like when served in a restaurant.

gan.jpg

Ingredients:
Tomato sauce
sofrito (green stuff in picture).
Sazon con achiote ( http://store.cubanfoodguy.com/images/goya_sazon.jpg )
salt
2 cups of rice
2.5 cups of water
olive oil

Note- I suck at taking pictures and my camera is garbage.

4387501300_ea8b51a370.jpg

Some of the ingredients there.

Add the oil, tomato sauce, sofrito and sazon and let simmer.
4387501120_b1f8240d4d.jpg

Add the rice, set to medium heat and wait till it dries.
4387510992_fb092c52ca.jpg

Once it's dry, reduce heat to low, move the rice around, cover, wait 20 minutes.

While that's done, I cut up some bread.
4387507876_e962e335b7.jpg

Opened a bottle of wine.

4387507704_a5a1c021f6.jpg

Cook the pork chops which aren't anything special, just salt & pepper for seasoning and then cooked over medium heat till brown.

Here's the result.
4386750497_541e2e66d2_b.jpg

Unfortunatly, we ate the bread before the rice was done. That's why the plates look a bit empty. What can I say, we got hungry.

Here's a close-up of the this oh-so-common dish.

4386750759_2d121069ed_b.jpg

What would have made this better:
Olives & red bell pepper. I ran out of these and forgot to purchase more. Recao leaves would have made it restaurant quality. Anyway, that was dinner yesterday. Hope you enjoyed my post.

otake

ChryZ said:
The rice reminds me of spanish rice, delicious side dish.

What's sazon con achiote? Some kind of instant stock/broth?

It's seasoning made by Goya. I do cook better things. I just wanted to document my first time making that.

Can we discuss wine here as well? That cabernet I had was ok, not good, not bad.

I mainly drink cabernet, favorites:

McManis
Luc Pirlet
Clus do Bois

All cabernets, of course. :D Any recommendations?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
A little while ago I made some steak and lo mein for myself and some regulars. It was something done fairly quick so it wasn't all that fancy.

The steak sauce I used was spicy planters.

Tonight I'll be making myself a burger and baked fries, adding my own vibe to it.

2ezs85t.jpg

2niwg3o.jpg

k0sspl.jpg

Been making so many different dishes in class, but I never have time or never think to take a snapshot before packing the food!

Here's a couple of things done a while ago:

Apple Pie
287lk4k.jpg

Tomates Provencale
11idc2u.jpg

I found the tomatoes a bit too acidic, gonna try it with different ones.

I'm gonna try to get a pic of the eclairs & cream puffs that were done today too.

Zyzyxxz

I just received my copy of Momofuku today.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a6ccf047970b-600wi

highly recommend it to anybody who wants to try unique and creative foods!

I plan on tackling his ramen recipe full on.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Regarding the steamed pork buns that were talked about a while back, is there a name those tend to go by? I stopped at a small Chinese vendor here in Seattle yesterday because I'd heard good things online about their pork buns, but didn't see anything that looked like the Momofuku ones; instead, theirs were like a large hamburger bun with shredded, sauced pork baked (definitely not steamed) inside and were listed as "hom bao" on the sign.

There was an odd flavor in the sauce that I didn't care for and the bun itself was insubstantial -- basically an airy yeast dough that tasted like it could've come from any random bakery. Expensive, too, for what you get.

I wouldn't expect to find an exact replica of Momofuku's, but this seemed to be a fairly different (possibly more traditional?) variation on the idea and one that I wasn't too crazy about.

TheExodu5

Banned
Going to be trying Brazilian stew. Simple recipe that calls for coffee and dry wine.

Having no clue what wine to buy, I just bought this bottle of "French Dry Wine" from Peller Estates (Chenin Vidal). I have no clue what it means or if it's any good. Tastes fine to me but I know nothing about wine.

So, in the future, what kind of wine should I be buying for cooking?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
TheExodu5 said:
Tastes fine to me but I know nothing about wine.

So, in the future, what kind of wine should I be buying for cooking?

The most general rule is that you should only cook with a wine that you would actually drink; in other words, those specialty "cooking" wines you might see in a store should most likely be avoided.

The flavors in a wine a going to be amplified in the dish you're making, too, so be sure it isn't something overly fruity, tart, sour, etc unless you're looking for those to be prominent in the dish. It's worth spending the money to get a nice bottle or two if you want to have both white and red handy; Julia Child, just about te best reference you can ask for, used to suggest a French Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay or a dry vermouth (what I usually keep) for whites and full-bodied Burgundy or Bordeaux for reds.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not sure if this is overly fruity...but it's nice. I'm not usually one for dry wines (probably because of the tartness), but this one is pretty crisp. Hopefully it works out well.

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
Regarding the steamed pork buns that were talked about a while back, is there a name those tend to go by? I stopped at a small Chinese vendor here in Seattle yesterday because I'd heard good things online about their pork buns, but didn't see anything that looked like the Momofuku ones; instead, theirs were like a large hamburger bun with shredded, sauced pork baked (definitely not steamed) inside and were listed as "hom bao" on the sign.

There was an odd flavor in the sauce that I didn't care for and the bun itself was insubstantial -- basically an airy yeast dough that tasted like it could've come from any random bakery. Expensive, too, for what you get.

I wouldn't expect to find an exact replica of Momofuku's, but this seemed to be a fairly different (possibly more traditional?) variation on the idea and one that I wasn't too crazy about.

traditionally Chinese restaurants put slices of roast duck (peking duck) in their steamed buns. So Momofuku's just go with something easier to make being pork belly.

Yeah it's more of a sit-down dinner menu item (though they do serve it for lunch at some places). It's also usually not put together for you - the buns, duck and sauce are usually separated and you put it together yourself. Some restaurants carve the bird table-side.

Like this:
duckf.jpg

Knocked out the latest round of Panini Pizzas tonight, only about....3ish weeks to go before I can hopefully get back to my beloved Gyros.

This time? Mahon!...

Yeah, it just kinda happened and was nothing I've heard of prior---apparently Spanish in origin. Anywho, it has something of a strong taste uncooked but melts decently and has a smooth taste in that form. That, and it is pretty damned oily versus most of the other cheeses I've had thus far----but that's why we have angles in this reality.

I found another cheese I'd never heard of at Ingles, in what I think was perhaps not the full cheese section as there were no shredded cheese packages to be found which I'm pretty sure should manifest EVERYWHERE. But it shall enter the fray next week as I'm quite satiated.

I did play a bit with zoning this time around though for the last one....arranged the cheese in a "X in a square box" formation and left the sauce exposed and made something of a little grated Romano pocket out of it as opposed to just sprinkling it everywhere(Well...I still did this of course on top of it...). It looked rather nice when finished warming up and the focused concentrations were pretty swell.

I'm thinking I may well play around in such a manner moreso in the future in terms of appearance and such----perhaps try for something resembling a bulls-eye next time around or something.

AFreak

Banned
Ok, so as most of you know, I'm in the Far East for at least a year, and I would like to start cooking authentic Chinese dishes for myself (to save money and to learn how to cook). I've got a vegetable steamer and a rice cooker already, plus a couple of other devices that I don't know what they do. I have to ranges, but only one actually lights up, so I was wondering what are some good quick authentic chinese dishes that I can do for myself?

Also, I'm trying to cut back on my food intake, so dishes that can be prepared for only 1 to 2 people is what I'm really looking for. Say, cook it night before then have other half for lunch, then cook again, ad nauseum.

Thanks.

MmmBeef

Zyzyxxz said:
I just received my copy of Momofuku today.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a6ccf047970b-600wi

highly recommend it to anybody who wants to try unique and creative foods!

I plan on tackling his ramen recipe full on.

If you plan on making the Alkaline Noodles let me know how the ordering of the sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate from Bio-World goes. Their website can be a bit confusing and since it's not really food-oriented products they are pushing, I'm wary of ordering the wrong thing.

By the way, the cookbook kicks so much ass. I've made the shoulder, belly and octo vinaigrette recipes and they've all been delicious. About to make some pork belly tacos right now.

Zyzyxxz

MmmBeef said:
If you plan on making the Alkaline Noodles let me know how the ordering of the sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate from Bio-World goes. Their website can be a bit confusing and since it's not really food-oriented products they are pushing, I'm wary of ordering the wrong thing.

By the way, the cookbook kicks so much ass. I've made the shoulder, belly and octo vinaigrette recipes and they've all been delicious. About to make some pork belly tacos right now.

actually that was the only thing I wasn't planning to make. There are several good ramen restaurants here which I enjoy so I'm gonna call around and hope one of them gives me their supplier or maybe sell it to me directly.

I feel that if I can't get the noodles right then the entire dish falls apart (also I don't have a pasta maker anymore).

As for the rest of the stuff I'm gonna do spread it out over several days since I need to shop for alot of stuff but after that I'm probably gonna have a ramen party at my place. I'll keep you guys posted with shitty pics since I haven't bought a new DSLR and sold my old one.

beje

Banned
I think I should ask before I make a cooking disaster:

Is chicken with cream and avocado sauce a good idea? In case it is, any spice I should be adding? (curry, paprika, peeper, plain salt...)

Edit: I couldn't wait, so I took my chances and I have to say it was a complete success! The avocado gave a very nice taste and melted in the mouth.

9lbtra.jpg

Avo-carbonara chicken:

Ingredients:
- half chicken breast (per serving)
- one avocado (per serving)
- onion
- cream
- olive oil
- black peeper
- salt

First of all, slice all ingredients and add some salt to the chicken. Stir-fry the onion in a big pan with a little oil and add salt while doing so. Then, add the chicken and stir quickly. As soon as the chicken starts getting cooked add the cream (don't go overboard with it, just enough so it reachs all ingredients). Then add the avocado and peeper and keep stirring until the cream gets thick.

Leave it resting for a little while because the avocado will get REALLY hot! :lol

fireside

Bought some stuff
2d9wz1v.jpg

Made some Curry
5o9w1e.jpg

Gonna bake up some chocolate chip cookies later today
9uxb35.jpg

(Image taken previously)

Gonna make some blueberry muffins later later today or early tomorrow morning

All in all a pretty good day.

fireside said:
Bought some stuff

Made some Curry

(Image taken previously)

I don't know why but I read this post in the voice of the psychogram guy from Liquid Television.

numble

fireside said:
Bought some stuff

Made some Curry

Do you have a curry recipe? Looks good...

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
Do you have a curry recipe? Looks good...

If you wish to make your own roux:

caramelize 1 onion on low heat for 1 hour with some oil and a 1-2 tablespoons of butter depending on size of pan and size of onion.
add 2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 minced garlic cloves,
1 inch minced ginger
1 tablespoon ketchup (weird I know but it adds sweetness or use less tomato paste if you wish)

Mix on low heat in the pan once the onions are caramelized. Lots of work but in y opinion much better than that fatty store bought stuff

AFreak

Banned
Any help on my cooking Gaf, I had a post on the last page. Thanks again.
Oh and I was hoping to have more than just recipes as well. I want to learn the art of cooking, not just be able to follow recipes, I mean I could do that now, I was more looking for a place that tells me what spice goes with what, etc. so that I can start getting creative with the dishes I'm preparing.

Zyzyxxz

AFreak said:
Any help on my cooking Gaf, I had a post on the last page. Thanks again.
Oh and I was hoping to have more than just recipes as well. I want to learn the art of cooking, not just be able to follow recipes, I mean I could do that now, I was more looking for a place that tells me what spice goes with what, etc. so that I can start getting creative with the dishes I'm preparing.
Look for a copy of The Flavor Bible its a great resource.

Otherwise it just comes with experience and familiarity with your ingredients

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
If you wish to make your own roux:

caramelize 1 onion on low heat for 1 hour with some oil and a 1-2 tablespoons of butter depending on size of pan and size of onion.
add 2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 minced garlic cloves,
1 inch minced ginger
1 tablespoon ketchup (weird I know but it adds sweetness or use less tomato paste if you wish)

Mix on low heat in the pan once the onions are caramelized. Lots of work but in y opinion much better than that fatty store bought stuff
It doesn't look too complicated, I'll probably try it this weekend or the next. Thanks! So the onion is simply sliced/chopped and not minced? (I'm not familiar with the proper cutting terms and/or carmelizing).

Would I just need to add raw chicken or veggies to the roux after I make it and simmer?

Edit: Also, you mentioned "use less tomato paste" but I don't see any mention of tomato paste--did you mean substitute tomato paste for ketchup?

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
It doesn't look too complicated, I'll probably try it this weekend or the next. Thanks! So the onion is simply sliced/chopped and not minced? (I'm not familiar with the proper cutting terms and/or carmelizing).

Would I just need to add raw chicken or veggies to the roux after I make it and simmer?

Edit: Also, you mentioned "use less tomato paste" but I don't see any mention of tomato paste--did you mean substitute tomato paste for ketchup?

I think mincing would be good (I've yet to try it since I usually slice it) but it may make the process faster in caramelizing.

After you remove the roux from the pan (it should clump it nicely)

Brown the meat add the veggies then at stock/water and get it to a simmer, then add the roux a little bit at a time until you think its right and let it reduce.

And yes you can substitute tomato paste for ketchup but use less tomato paste if you do.

Also if you are gonna use pork I would recommend grating 1/4 to 1/2 an apple into the curry to give it a nice sweetness that pairs well to tonkatsu or pork in general

v0yce

In attempts to improve our cooking abilities the wife and I have started just going through cook books trying any and everything. The problem is that the books aren't particularly healthy.

So I'm hoping some of the GAF chefs can recommend a good cook book for healthy food. I'd love to find something that is geared toward...

health
informative/teaching (we're newbies)
variety
cooking for two
speed

Priorities in that order. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And apologies if this has been asked a dozen times.

ChryZ

v0yce said:
So I'm hoping some of the GAF chefs can recommend a good cook book for healthy food.
The book "Japanese Cooking for Two" from Kurumi Hayter is pretty neat. It's a good match with your priorities list. The required ingredients aren't too exotic nowadays and you should be able to get most of them in a normal supermarket.

Have you guys tried to browse a local book store? I like to flip through the pages before I buy a cooking book.

otake

I'm planing a nice dinner tonight! I'm cooking skirt stake with tostones and a vegetable, probably broccoli or corn. The real treat will be if I manage to make chimichurri sauce. It's I never mess up the skirt stake so no matter what, it's going to be a good meal.

I need to find a good chimichurri recipe. In Puerto Rico we like our chimichurri boiling hot! Not this cold shit they serve in Florida. Any recommendations?

Axion22

Death By Garlic:

What do you know? Penne, again. This one was really easy, and really good. Pulled from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 pound dry penne pasta
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese

Note this from the author:
(I like to brown kielbasa sausage and toss it in, then sprinkle feta cheese on top. Yum!)"
So, I did that, too. Add kielbasa and feta cheese to your ingredients list if you're down with that.
23ua7t2.jpg

So, let's cook (wanted to say that since my last post):
Start boiling your water - cook your pasta according to directions.
Meanwhile:
35i530z.jpg
zwktv9.jpg

esrqmb.jpg
29cqgpf.jpg

This has been a lot of work so far, time to grease the skids:
167mlux.jpg

Brown the garlic in the olive oil, brown the kielbasa:
2mmrgg.jpg

When the garlic's done browning, remove from heat, and add the salt, red pepper flakes, and parsley:
mhr03d.jpg

vyv7dw.jpg

BOIL, DAMN YOU!

Some time later, the penne was done. Drain it, put it back in its pot and prepare to toss in garlic mix. Toss in the Romano cheese next.
jsm7n7.jpg
34zc3l3.jpg
nec3uo.jpg

35hrdrt.jpg
14lle89.jpg

Topped with kielbasa and feta:
xmk5lv.jpg

Delicious, and needless to say - very garlicy.

Zyzyxxz

Axion22 said:
Death By Garlic:

Hah if you think that is alot of garlic then try cooking out of the Momofuku cookbook (which I recommend serious cooks buy)!

I've went through several heads of garlic over the past few days trying many of his recipes, all which results in awesome dishes.

Once I get my new DSLR I'll be back to taking pics of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom