• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Great, now I gotta go to GoGo Curry sometime soon. Those delicious pictures hit my stomach like a visual flavor bomb.

And maybe with due inspiration I could try making it. Never made japanese curry, though... Or tonkotsu, but I'm confident in my breaded stuff/schnitzel skills so not so worried bout that.

In short, damn you Zyzyxxz. Damn you lovingly. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ChryZ said:
Beautiful tonkatsu, good job!

Best Tonkatsu on Earth: Tonkichi at Takashimaya in Shinjuku.

50mdfk.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cookoff-Gaf I need some great recipes that taste good and are decently healthy with the overall stipulation of low cost.

I usually make time to cook something good every Sunday, but would like more than a bowl of spaghetti during the week. Suggestions?

Edit: I love Italian food as well as Japanese/Chinese/Thai. I am always up for new things too.

Zyzyxxz

Deadly Cyclone said:
Cookoff-Gaf I need some great recipes that taste good and are decently healthy with the overall stipulation of low cost.

I usually make time to cook something good every Sunday, but would like more than a bowl of spaghetti during the week. Suggestions?

Edit: I love Italian food as well as Japanese/Chinese/Thai. I am always up for new things too.

risotto? As long as you aren't anti-Carbs I think that would be perfect.

It requires oil/butter, minced veges or whatever plants you want to put on top of it, aborio rice, white wine, and vegetable/chicken stock.

I've been trying to make the perfect risotto for some time now, usually only takes about 30 minutes to make one.

Sorry for the bad quality on some pics, some were taken with a phone, since it's hard to snap pics in the kitchen @ school. Pics taken by my classmates.

Cream Puffs
43otw.jpg

Deep Fried Calmar
rr0fmp.jpg

Savoury Crepes (Brocolli, Ham, Mornay Sauce w/ Swiss-Emmental)
28bvaj5.jpg

Peaches & Cream Crepes (Peaches + Chantilly)
qx4788.jpg

Aurelius

Ok, this is my first post. Please be gentle. I haven't cooked in months. But after my divorce I've decided to take better care of myself. Less fat and meat, and more fish and fresh ingredients.

It's salmon marinated in soy sauce, lemon juice and ginger sirop, with a crust of sesame seeds. It's placed on a bed of fresh spinach with red onion, garlic and roasted pine nut.

A glass of sake helps wash it down.

zalm.jpg

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
make a little extra curry and serve it with the pork!

Best thing to do would be to grate half an apple into your curry to sweeten it. It pairs perfectly with pork.
How many servings do you think your recipe above will make? Would there be enough to divide the roux in half and use some for a chicken/carrot/potato thing and the other half to be later used with pork tonkatsu? I will probably try making the curry this afternoon, after I buy some onions.

LovingSteam said:
Recipe please! I have never used curry before so this will be interesting.

There is a curry recipe by Zyzyxxz several posts after that.

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
How many servings do you think your recipe above will make? Would there be enough to divide the roux in half and use some for a chicken/carrot/potato thing and the other half to be later used with pork tonkatsu? I will probably try making the curry this afternoon, after I buy some onions.

The usage of the roux largely depends on how much flour and curry powder you use to make it. the recipe is easily scalable and the one I provided should be good for 4-5 servings of curry but that may depend on how much you reduce your curry.

here is it again for those who want it:

caramelize 1 onion on low heat for 1 hour with some oil and a 1-2 tablespoons of butter depending on size of pan and size of onion.
add 2 tablespoons white flour
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 minced garlic cloves, (2 tablespoons)
1 inch minced ginger (2 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon ketchup (weird I know but it adds sweetness or use less tomato paste if you wish) mixed with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce

Mix on low heat in the pan once the onions are caramelized. Lots of work but in y opinion much better than that fatty store bought stuff

Thanks to Zyzyxxz for the recipe!

stu.jpg

Ever since the picture of stew two nights ago I have been craving it! Well this was my first time making stew let alone cooking with curry and I have to say it was amazing!

numble

LovingSteam said:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/Scoobiesnackarff/stu.jpg

Ever since the picture of stew two nights ago I have been craving it! Well this was my first time making stew let alone cooking with curry and I have to say it was amazing!

Nice! My turn!

jHGMB.jpg

KYj35.jpg

Curry with brown rice.

I used Zyzyxxz's recipe for the roux and this youtube video for the rest. I never carmelized onions before, so that was fun. I was afraid that I had used too much water and was ladling out a lot of broth before adding the roux, but maybe didn't need to when I saw that the roux thickened things out pretty fast.

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
Nice! My turn!
Curry with brown rice.

I used Zyzyxxz's recipe for the roux and this youtube video for the rest. I never carmelized onions before, so that was fun. I was afraid that I had used too much water and was ladling out a lot of broth before adding the roux, but maybe didn't need to when I saw that the roux thickened things out pretty fast.

nice! Also I've read his food blog, he does some pretty nice cooking.

ChryZ

The japanese curry influx is brilliant and they all look delicious <3

Aurelius said:
Ok, this is my first post. Please be gentle. I haven't cooked in months. But after my divorce I've decided to take better care of myself. Less fat and meat, and more fish and fresh ingredients.

It's salmon marinated in soy sauce, lemon juice and ginger sirop, with a crust of sesame seeds. It's placed on a bed of fresh spinach with red onion, garlic and roasted pine nut.

A glass of sake helps wash it down.
Mouth watering combination. Salmon and spinach are such good friends.

Well, that wraps the last of the Panini Pizzas unless a time comes they are out of Gyros again. I also stupidly forgot to explore the various sauces section at the grocery store for an A1 replacement so that's now on the todo list for this coming week.

Last night's unknown mystery cheese: White Colby

Despite being in a block, it was definitely on the soft side---good taste and melts quite nicely for a change. It has this odd curling property where it grips the cheese rather well like several other ones but should a piece fall and hit the plate it will curl up on impact versus others that just lie there. I'd definitely not hesitate to recommend this one to others as it simply worked.

I'm going to try melting up the leftover Kasseri in a more extreme fashion by adding a fair bit to a longer cooking and higher heat frozen pizza that I'll eat somewhere within this coming week----would've done this back on Friday night but I wound up eating out with friends instead.

Zyzyxxz

Alright finally starting on the momofuku ramen recipe (minus the noodle making). Lots of preparation, so far starting on just the ramen broth soup.

Requires simmering konbu (kelp), then shitake mushrooms, then 4 pounds of chicken, then 5 pounds of roasted pork neck bones with 1 pound of bacon, and then finally finishing with some vegetables. I am not finished with it yet so I'm gonna continue simmering it down tomorrow.

4434923892_d1855b6b20_o.jpg

4434147009_452a6bb85b_o.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LovingSteam said:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/Scoobiesnackarff/stu.jpg[IMG]

Ever since the picture of stew two nights ago I have been craving it! Well this was my first time making stew let alone cooking with curry and I have to say it was amazing![/QUOTE]
Everyone posting curry has me wanting some now :lol

This is just me but get some sticky rice (I use Botan, if something I can get easily is better please let me know). Long grain white rice <<<<< Sticky Rice.

SnakeXs

I just made some moroccan style (in an inauthentic sorta way) pureed chickpea soup, and some sauteed beef slices to lay on top. Not pretty so I'm not going out of my way for pics but I'm pretty impressed.

numble

My mimicking of Zyzyxxz continues today with tonkatsu! It was awesome and delicious.

I sort of followed that youtube video of creating the batter, but since I don't understand Japanese, I only guessed at the amounts of water and flour used in the middle batter--it still worked out alright.

EdynI.jpg

Floured, battered, and breaded up.

xcetN.jpg

Fried up.

a9Eyj.jpg

I had some leftover batter so I fried some celery I had on hand just for fun.

2pr4I.jpg

Cooked with egg, onions and scallions--I know the pan is too big, but it's all I had on hand.

Bb0g0.jpg

NjTgF.jpg

The finished product, served over rice.

hhXhY.jpg

The rest of the tonkatsu I made may be eventually served with this milder curry (with grated apple) that I've got going right now. Maybe next time I won't fry everything all at once, though I don't know if the batter keeps well...

Zyzyxxz

numble said:
My mimicking of Zyzyxxz continues today with tonkatsu! It was awesome and delicious.

I sort of followed that youtube video of creating the batter, but since I don't understand Japanese, I only guessed at the amounts of water and flour used in the middle batter--it still worked out alright.

EdynI.jpg

Floured, battered, and breaded up.

nice! I eyeballed from the video as well since I can't understand more than a few words of Japanese.

Also is that piece that's about to fall off your counter, chicken? It would be a strange shape for a pork chop.

numble

Zyzyxxz said:
nice! I eyeballed from the video as well since I can't understand more than a few words of Japanese.

Also is that piece that's about to fall off your counter, chicken? It would be a strange shape for a pork chop.
No it was a really bad cut of pork chop. Here's the meat before everything:

HyLjg.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Forgot to update my ramen broth status, after simmering and reducing for about 10 hours or so finally finished off with some veges to give it the final flavor and then adjusted it with another sauce which was soy sauce based in order to give the soup some salt.

Now I just need to assemble the rest of the ramen.

4440601569_234da7de9a_o.jpg

4440601869_b6febca3dd_o.jpg

I made some Milanesa last night with a salad made with Romaine, carrots, green apples, and cherry tomatoes. The final result came out really well. It's another easy dish that sounds more impressive than it actually is.

What you'll need is a couple eggs, bread crumbs (I just used off the shelf Progresso Italian style bread crubs), and steak fillets. I used flap meat which is mostly used for Carne Asada. It's cheap, tasty and just the right thickness. The thickness is important because you want to make sure not to burn the bread crumbs but you want the steak cooked. So a thin steak is best.

mw9qpv.jpg

I setup my stations as such. Basically you are going to coat the steak in the egg then cover it in the bread crumbs. Shake off excess and place to the side.

Next heat up some oil in a pan and make sure you get it hot enough to fry the steak to get the crumbs crispy. If the oil is too cold the breads crumbs end up getting soggy.
xba0wl.jpg

Here's the final plating. I ended up keeping the Milanesa in the oil a little too long so it's a wee bit darker than it's supposed to be. Typically you want to keep it in until the bread crumbs are a light brown.
20kpr36.jpg

Growing up in an Argentinian house hold I squeeze some lemon on top but that's really optional.

Zyzyxxz

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I made some Milanesa last night with a salad made with Romaine, carrots, green apples, and cherry tomatoes. The final result came out really well. It's another easy dish that sounds more impressive than it actually is.

I love Milanesa tortas! A little jalapeno relish, some tomatoes, and I'm good to go.

SnakeXs

Anyone got a decent falafel recipe? Got soaked chickpeas and not in the mood for pasta (too warm and beautiful today), so I'm gonna bake up some pita bread and fill it with aforementioned falafel, but I don't have a trustable recipe on hand.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
RbBrdMan said:
Ron Douglas shares the ingredients for his version of KFC's 11 herbs and spices recipe
— 1 teaspoon ground oregano
— 1 teaspoon chili powder
— 1 teaspoon ground sage
— 1 teaspoon dried basil
— 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
— 1 teaspoon pepper
— 2 teaspoons salt
— 2 tablespoons paprika
— 1 teaspoon onion salt
— 1 teaspoon garlic powder
— 2 tablespoons Accent

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32027188/#ixzz0hmtb94UB
I tried this today (minus the MSG, of course). Mixed it with the same amount of flour.

It tasted really nice, but nothing like KFC.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
cjelly said:
I tried this today (minus the MSG, of course). Mixed it with the same amount of flour.

I haven't tried it personally I just remembered reading it a while back. Glad it at least tasted good though.

Zyzyxxz

cjelly said:

I dont think its hard to beat KFC fried chicken if you are doing it at home. In fact I find KFC's check pretty tasteless so when they try so hard to keep that spice mix a secret I wonder why.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
cjelly said:

Lots of debate on the topic, but to my experience, MSG does have its own flavor and could have been the missing part.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Zyzyxxz said:
risotto? As long as you aren't anti-Carbs I think that would be perfect.

It requires oil/butter, minced veges or whatever plants you want to put on top of it, aborio rice, white wine, and vegetable/chicken stock.

I've been trying to make the perfect risotto for some time now, usually only takes about 30 minutes to make one.

Hmm, don't want to overload on carbs, but I would love to learn to make risotto. Have a good recipe?

Zyzyxxz

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, don't want to overload on carbs, but I would love to learn to make risotto. Have a good recipe?

not really, there are hundreds of white risotto recipes and most of them give you the same basic technique. I'm just having trouble finding the right stirring amount and adding stock at the right time.

It goes basically like this:

brown minced veges
add rice and let it crisp and coat with oil for 1 min
add white wine and let it evaporate and incorporate itself into rice
add one ladle of stock or enough to cover and keep stirring
once stock is absorbed add another and just keep stirring and adding until rice is cooked al dente.

It's simple but I've been having trouble getting it to a consistent quality that I want.

Tonight at long last the Gyro Pizza returns! Though, it was a bit of a readjustment scaling things back to the smaller gyro vs the panini.

Still: Tonight was the quite nice, yet not incredibly distinctive, Vasterbotten

The taste was good, it melted very quickly, and it was somewhat oily upon doing so. Target didn't have anywhere near a sauce selection as I imagined, so all I found that was new to try with it was some Heinz 57---which turned out just fine as an A1 like substance. Past this bottle, heavily leaning towards the next being some manner of BBQ sauce.

Had to do a weird double layering of the pepperoni as it was the last of the pack and not enough for another time, but it also worked out just fine.

Hoping to get ahold of another new cheese or so tomorrow via the Farmer's Market for next week....else I'll have to explore the likes of Publix/Target/Kroger for one.

Aurelius

Simple bust tasty. Salmon Teriyaki with snow peas fried with garlic and white rice.

P1050202.jpg

I used 3 tbsp soy sause, 3 tbsp mirrin, 3 tbsp of sake and 1 tsp of sugar for the marinade. Then added another 2 tsp of sugar to make the sauce. It still missed something doh. Maybe next time I will add some honey.

Does GAF have some suggestions about making the ultimate Teriyaki sauce? :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's not exciting, but I made my own Texas-style flour tortillas the other night. Needless to say, I will never consume another store-bought tortilla. God, I made a pig of myself. :lol

Dresden

Cosmic Bus said:
It's not exciting, but I made my own Texas-style flour tortillas the other night. Needless to say, I will never consume another store-bought tortilla. God, I made a pig of myself. :lol
Oh, man. That's always a treat. I don't even have to get anything on home-made tortillas, I can just eat them plain and they're still so good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cosmic Bus said:
PUT SOME FLOUR ON ZE HANDS, MANG!:lol
smallCIMG2365.jpg

sciplore

Made a yellow (though it came out as orange) chicken curry last night with rice and nan bread. Was not spicy enough for me but everyone else was claiming it was hot. Can not win it all I suppose.

ChickenCurry.jpg

Aurelius that salmon looks so good.

Had to practice some recipes for my Basic Prep exam tomorrow (6 hour exam, yikes!), so I did 2 of the 6 recipes: Duxelles + Mushrooms Gratiné. Still gotta get that Hollandaise sauce down properly, it's the only one I'm real nervous for.

4ilrv8.jpg

2wegzo0.jpg

other stuff done in class, pics from classmates.

1z56laa.jpg

Trout a la Grenobloise

2gv0n5y.jpg

Grilled Squid

2eq41vr.jpg

Grilled Salmon w/ Cucumber-Lime Salsa

OOHHH NNOOOEEEESSS....I missed the St. Patty's day food posts.   :'(

Well our family always stock up on corned beef (I love me some corned beef) so we can feast for the next couple weeks. :D
25184_656544502998_60710639_36578521_4800858_n.jpg

SnakeXs

Bed of jasmine rice...
d5289

...fooor some curry chicken.
6d9a1

Not the most authentic but damn did it hit the spot.

Now if I could just get myself to take pics with my real camera instead of these crummy underexposed iPhone shots.

Zyzyxxz

I'm pretty busy working in a prep kitchen and food truck now.

Tonight might have something, I'm cooking from the recipe list of the guys I'm working for now.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Where's yours? :p
14-hour-days atm, no time for photos :(

Zyzyxxz said:
I'm pretty busy working in a prep kitchen and food truck now.

Tonight might have something, I'm cooking from the recipe list of the guys I'm working for now.
Hey, got a new job? Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the new stuff.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Hey, got a new job? Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the new stuff.

yup, I'm working between a prep kitchen and on a food truck which is a new fad here in Southern California. The team members are all fun to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom