• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

Ydahs said:
I present to you, the salami and jam pizza.

2zgxnqx.jpg
Woah, don't know about the jam. I'd try it with ketchup next time and cheese on top :D

You've done well Ydahs!

For the next step, venture back some pages and give some of the stuff on my Gyro Pizzas a shot as the same fundamentals should work----very simple.

On that note from my experiments last night, be damned CAUTIOUS with Emmenthaler cheese! I thought I'd cut off pretty well all of the "hard part" along the outside----be damn sure of it unless you want it causing issue.

Also, how have people's experiences been with using a vertical melt versus a horizontal one, as applicable, with cheese? "Chunk" melts? I'm likely going to give the former a shot for a change to counter edge-cheese creep which had a fair bit of the Emmenthaler last night bubble over into the foil despite that there should've been enough room to avoid that.

I got the idea for chunk melts from a random youtube video dealing with buffalo mozzarella from a couple years back. Any thoughts as to how the US producers of it are faring nowadays in regards to availability/quality versus out of Italy? Providing they've not gone under as a niche market, of course.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I've used Stubb's before and really enjoyed it. I'm going to be making some pork ribs for tomorrow. I got three huge slabs brining in the fridge as we speak. For the sauce I'm going to try Famous Daves Sweet and Tangy and Devil's Spit. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.

Make sure to post some pics we can have a Beef vs. Pork showdown.. lol

I'm going to go with Sweet Baby Ray's (I doubt I could find Gates & Sons though I'm interested). I remember having the Ray's chipotle BBQ on some bbq chicken about a year ago and I liked the thick consistency and sweetness of the sauce. If I don't get Chipotle BBQ I'll just go with the Ray's standard. Thanks guys for all the recommendations!! I'm off to the store in about 30 minutes so I'll only have about 2 hours to marinade them. That shouldn't be a problem though.

I plan on browning some onion and a little garlic coating them and letting them sit for about an hour or two. Then oven to 250 half pan of water let them stew for an hour, flip them let them stew another hour. Then drain. Go to 375-400 for about 35-45 minutes while they are drenched in bbq sauce.

Should be glorious. I'll no doubt have some corn and maybe baked potato as sides.

fireside

Made some croissants.

160ag00.jpg

suzx9w.jpg

Need to work on shaping I guess, but the taste is definitely there, best croissants I've ever had (though I must admit, I'm not really much of a croissant aficionado).

RbBrdMan said:
IronGAF, I've decided I want to make some oven baked bbq beef ribs tomorrow while watching the super bowl.

I need some advice on the BBQ sauce. I could just go with the standard KC Masterpiece like I usually do but I'm in the mood to mix it up a little.

What BBQ sauce does IronGAF recommend? Store bought or homemade if anyone is inclined to post a recipe. I prefer sweet rather than tangy in regards to sauce, and of course I will post pics of the finished product.

Any recommendations?

Try a dry rub. Paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper to start. Add in garlic powder and/or other spices for taste. Much better then any sauce. Just google search for the proper ratios.

entremet

For knife fetishist, which I'm a proud member, you can find some traditional Japanese hand made knives at Korin in NYC. They also ship via online orders.

http://korin.com/site/home.html

I'm partial to Suisin. Traditional japanese knives also are single edge, which I find easier to work with for even cuts.

@Onkel. Bourdain's s beef with Western knives come from their heft. Japanese knives are much lighter than their western counterparts. If you're cooking professionally, where knives takes a huge beating, a lighter knife is important as it prevents repetitive stress injuries.

DietRob

Masta_Killah said:
Try a dry rub. Paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper to start. Add in garlic powder and/or other spices for taste. Much better then any sauce. Just google search for the proper ratios.

I've done dry rubs before. I find that I miss the gooey, smothered bbq sauce. After they were done and plated I would just cover them in BBQ sauce. Thanks for the suggestion though and I sort-of used it. I sauteed onions, garlic, habanero, red chillies, in olive oil. After the saute I added some vinegar and lathered the ribs with them they are currently marinading for about an hour or so.

2l9m6mf.jpg

33xy4aw.jpg

w8w51f.jpg

Fresh Beans from Mom's Garden
10r6138.jpg

Au gratin potatoes with Green, Red, and Orange Bell pepper.
1r9smt.jpg

Plated... MMM...
rb9k08.jpg

Zyzyxxz

All I've got going on this week was:

Tofu and duck stir fry

4337840579_7becbdfecc_o.jpg

my attempt at recreating Momofuku's famous pork belly buns (his were much more moist in the pictures)

4338583910_620319206e_o.jpg

4338583418_d5568b561e_o.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made penne bolegnese, semi-inspired by Mario Batali's recipe I looked up on youtube. Couldn't be arsed to put in the time according to his recipe, started too late and was too hungry. Still took just about 2 hours.

Cooked onions and carrots for about 25 minutes, and then added ground meat (mix of pork and beef).

2.jpg

Cooked that for about 30 minutes, and added tomato puree and harissa and cooked for an additional 30 minutes.

3.jpg

and then added milk and reduced that until pretty much gone.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Deviated a bit from the recipe and added tomato paste and reduced while I was cooking the pasta.

Cooked the pasta al dente and added to the ragù

7.jpg

And done! Served with some sourdough bread with insanely good and addictive french butter. If you can find it, buy it!

8.jpg

Turned out pretty damn good, if I may say so myself. :D
Apologies for the wall of pictures!

Bonus pic of good butter!

IMG_1824.jpg

Momar

aka Ryder
Planning on cooking for some friends this weekend, probably around 10 people. I think I'm going to keep it relatively simple. I'm thinking lamb and potato curry with white fried rice from a recipe my mom gave me :D. I've never actually cooked for this many people before, any tips for cooking large quantities? At this point I'm just planning on scaling the ingredients, pretty much, that should be doable with what I'm planning to make.

Zyzyxxz

Momar said:
Planning on cooking for some friends this weekend, probably around 10 people. I think I'm going to keep it relatively simple. I'm thinking lamb and potato curry with white fried rice from a recipe my mom gave me :D. I've never actually cooked for this many people before, any tips for cooking large quantities? At this point I'm just planning on scaling the ingredients, pretty much, that should be doable with what I'm planning to make.

do as much in advance as possible, I would say make the curry a day in advance because its a kind of food that will still taste great when reheated on the stove.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everyone, keep it coming!

entrement said:
@Onkel. Bourdain's s beef with Western knives come from their heft. Japanese knives are much lighter than their western counterparts. If you're cooking professionally, where knives takes a huge beating, a lighter knife is important as it prevents repetitive stress injuries.
Dunno, most chefs I know here use Zwilling or Wüsthoff...

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:
my attempt at recreating Momofuku's famous pork belly buns (his were much more moist in the pictures)

4338583910_620319206e_o.jpg

the pork buns looking fucking amazing. the momofuku cookbook has been a favorite since I got my hands on it. did you make the buns? and where did you get the pork belly?

Zyzyxxz

hitsugi said:
the pork buns looking fucking amazing. the momofuku cookbook has been a favorite since I got my hands on it. did you make the buns? and where did you get the pork belly?

Appreciate the compliment.

Haha, heck no I didn't make the buns. I'm not good with flour and dough so I just went to my local Chinese grocer and picked up a pack of buns. Heck even Momofuku doesn't make them they outsource it IRC, just that the book gives the recipe for the buns in case you can't buy them yourself.

Being my own harshest critic IMO they were a failure to my own standards.

The pork belly was a frozen piece of meat that my mother bought and left in the fridge over 2 months ago so I did my best to bring out the best of it.

In the end my little toaster oven couldn't bake as well as a real fullsize oven so I had to make due with that and while it produced a pretty good piece of pork belly it was nowhere near where I wanted it to be. Still I think they came out alright considering what I had to work with.

Next time I'm gonna be using Kurobuta pork belly (form Berkshire pigs) and I'm gonna try to perfect it in my own way.

The hoisin sauce I made was pretty good though, since I wasn't satisfied with merely spreading bottled sauce on the buns.

I heated up some reserved duck fat, sauteed some finely minced shallots and the white part of the green onion before adding the hoisin sauce. Came together very nicely.

bovo

Made a turkey fried rice with left over roast turkey:

(original turkey with potato gratin tasted nice, but it didn't photgraph well!)

This also doesn't necessarily look great but I'll post it anyway- pork chops with apple and cider - saw it on tv http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/porkchopswithapplesa_92491.shtml and wanted to try it:

Served:

Random other picture of a some bread made with left over pizza dough from one of previous posts - forgot to post it then:

fireside

Zyzyxxz said:
The hoisin sauce I made was pretty good though, since I wasn't satisfied with merely spreading bottled sauce on the buns.
What's your recipe for hoisin sauce? I've wanted to make my own for quite a while.

Zyzyxxz

fireside said:
What's your recipe for hoisin sauce? I've wanted to make my own for quite a while.

No I used bottled hoisin suace but I mixed it with some other stuff to give it more complexity.

ChryZ said:
Thanks for the insight regarding the buns. They look so perfect, almost intimidating.

"Look" is the keyword, I still wasn't satisfied with them but I always try to at least look the part :lol .

They are surprisingly simple to make though I just followed these instructions: http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/diaryofafoodie/2008/04/porkbellybuns

Omitting the cucumbers and making my own buns.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I've used Stubb's before and really enjoyed it. I'm going to be making some pork ribs for tomorrow. I got three huge slabs brining in the fridge as we speak. For the sauce I'm going to try Famous Daves Sweet and Tangy and Devil's Spit. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.

Yeah, I'll second Stubb's, I love the spicy bbq sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's is also good as well, I'll use either one of those whenever I'm bbqing.

DietRob

djtiesto said:
Yeah, I'll second Stubb's, I love the spicy bbq sauce. Sweet Baby Ray's is also good as well, I'll use either one of those whenever I'm bbqing.

I ended up using the Sweet Baby Ray's I found that it was actually a little too sweet for my liking. My next venture will be with Stubb's. I love trying new sauces.

fireside

I had some leftover beans from making chili on Sunday, so I thought I should make some sweet bean paste out of them. And what better way to enjoy sweet bean paste than in a bun? I think I added a bit too much sugar though.

qotzed.jpg

Made a "Hot'n Spicy"- Soup with austrian smoked spicy sausages. Normaly it's for 2 people but I had such a horrible hangover and this soup is the perfect cure...so I ate it all alone.

ir83ua.jpg

whyvwo.jpg

What I used:
2 potatoes
6 Piri-Piri Chilis
7 Cherry tomatoes
salad (iceberg)
1 big onion
4 slices of garlic
Thai rice Noodles
2 "Scharfer Seppl" sausages (or any other kind of super spicy smoked sausages)
Chili-Oil (selfmade)
Tabasco
Soya sauce
Sambal Oelek
pepper
salt

How I made it:
preparation: cook and slice potatoes
1. sweat the hacked onion, together with the sliced sausages, in the hot chili-oil(the more the merrier)
2. add the hacked Piri Piris and the garlic
3. add potatoes, a spoonful(or less...it's HOT) of samba oelek and flavor it with salt'n pepper
4. add the sliced cherry tomatoes, some splashes of tabasco and the sliced salad and let it "boil" till tomatoes are soft
(Note: the tomato fluids should deglaze(?) all that mess now)
5. add 1 liter of water and let it go till it boils
6. add soya sauce but not too much
7. put in the rice noodles (they should be finished in ~ 2min in the boiling "water")
8. take it off the plate and eat it directly out of the pot (It must be really hot)

I ate it with an olive panini and a low sparkling beer.

neos

Hello gaf!lurked this thread sooo long!
I work as a cook but i cook at home veeery rarely, so i can't take photos of what i do.
Some of you guys are very, very talented however.
And thanks onkelC for the thread:D

RbBrdMan said:
Make sure to post some pics we can have a Beef vs. Pork showdown.. lol
Here it goes.

I went with port short ribs because they were cheap.($15 for three giant racks) I usually do baby backs but when serving as many people as I did short ribs were a decent substitute. I brined the ribs in a mixture of apple juice concentrate, brown sugar, salt, pepper corns, and water. I find that brining breaks down some of the tough parts of the rib and keeps the moisture in as well as flavors the meat. I set the ribs in the brine in the fridge for about 12 hours. After than I drained the brine solution and rinsed the meat. Here is a pic of the freshly rinsed meat.
347ekhu.jpg

Once rinsed the ribs were ready for their rub. I typically make my own rub but I was feeling lazy so I picked up Famous Dave's Rib Rub. I picked it up because I was going to try their BBQ sauce and figured it would make a good compliment.
2rz48x2.jpg

I actually really enjoyed it. It has big flavor and you can see little bits of dried garlic in the actual rub instead of garlic powder.
xlhw6g.jpg

(closer look at the rub)
2vmzqet.jpg

Once all three racks were completely covered I wrapped them in plastic wrap and let them rest for 45 minutes to an hour. I do this to basically get the meat to room temperature and, again, to flavor the meat.
6gcv0o.jpg

Once that was done, to the grill with ye!
2nutah0.jpg

I kind of goofed on the temperature of the grill. I wanted to keep it roughly at 250 to get the ribs a nice long even cook but I actually was at about 300-350 which kind of charred the ribs a little. Either way they tasted great.
Here's the final product:
2cf9lvp.jpg

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to post these two dishes I made a couple months ago. I meant to share then but I forgot.

The first one is Arroz con Pollo with fried plantains.
14e7xir.jpg

20krevs.jpg

I've done this dish a couple of times since and I recommend it as an easy one pot dish. You first need to brown the chicken. What I do is put a little bit of oil in the pan and lightly dredge the chicken in a salt, pepper, paprika, and flour mixture. Once the oil is hot enough I place the chicken in and brown both sides. Remove the chicken and place in the desired amount of rice in the same pot, I typically do two cups when serving three to four people. Stir the rice to let is soak up the flavor from the chicken and some of the oil. Let the rice sit for a minute or two to toast a bit before putting in the water or chicken stock or whatever liquid you choose. You can add veggies if you want to, I usually will use some tomatoes and some bell peppers, peas and onions work as well so go nuts. Add the water and let boil, once boiled set the burner to low then add the chicken. Cover and wait 25 minutes or until the rice is done.

This last dish was just for fun. We had a ton of turkey and ham that needed to be used so I decided to make Monte Cristo Sandwiches. Not just any Monte Cristo Sandwiches, Disneyland Monte Cristo Sandwiches. I found a recipe for the batter they use at the Blue Bayou (a restaurant in Pirates of the Caribbean) at Disneyland online and gave it a whirl. The batter was easy to make and actually really light. The sandwich itself is really heavy so that's a good thing. You basically make a turkey and ham club sandwich with swiss cheese. Dip the sandwhich in the batter and put it in hot oil to fry it.

I just used some strawberry preserves for the jelly and sprinkled powder sugar on top and voila.
2vbvriv.jpg

The sandwich was fantastic but it's definitely something I only eat when I want to indulge.

DietRob

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
2vbvriv.jpg

The sandwich was fantastic but it's definitely something I only eat when I want to indulge.

OMG.. I love Monte Cristo Sandwiches. That looks delicious. There used to be a place called Bennigans that served a Monte Cristo but they went out of business. I haven't been able to find a place around me that even makes them anymore.

Please, please, please share the recipe for the batter.

Zyzyxxz

neos said:
Hello gaf!lurked this thread sooo long!
I work as a cook but i cook at home veeery rarely, so i can't take photos of what i do.
Some of you guys are very, very talented however.
And thanks onkelC for the thread:D

Heh talented enough to hire?

I need a new job!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Stew-GAF: lately I've been experimenting with making stews. Tried various styles and receipes (French, Irish, Dutch). I've been wondering: how do I get my stew darker? Whenever I'm getting stew at a restaurant, the stew is usually as brown as Japanese curry (picture). I've got the taste down, but now I want my stews to look better too :lol . But I have no idea how. Any pointers?

Zyzyxxz

depends on what you put it to give it the color. Do you only want color or consistency?

For more brown color I would suggest adding demi-glace or actually taking most of the liquid out of the stew and reducing it, but then that will concentrate the flavor which I'm not sure if you want to do but it will make it have a thicker consistency.

Another thing you can do is add a dark roux.

Basically in a saucepan melt some butter and whisk it with flour and let it cook until it begins to darken and then add it to your stew.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Melting butter and flour until it darkens sounds like a good idea. I had to look up what demi-glace is, a mixture of veal stock and sauce espagnole. Is demi-glace pre-made available or is it something you have to make yourself?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Rei_Toei said:
Melting butter and flour until it darkens sounds like a good idea. I had to look up what demi-glace is, a mixture of veal stock and sauce espagnole. Is demi-glace pre-made available or is it something you have to make yourself?

Keep in mind you need to baby a roux when you're trying to make it dark, and it will thicken your stew even more. The darker you take the roux, however, the more flavorful it'll get, and the less thickening power it will bring.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei said:

demi-glace should be available in pulverized form at any grocery store/supermaket. Mind that it will never come close to a handmade one, taste-wise. you could also use a bit of Bietenstroop (sp?) to darken the stew.

Made ikea-ish kottbullar tonight, old pics but you get the point:
smallP1010085.jpg

smallP1010120.jpg

neos

Zyzyxxz said:
Heh talented enough to hire?

I need a new job!
Willing enough to work to work hard and be payed with crackers?you're hired:D

Seriously, i think that if you can accept even to do burger's at a fast food, you will never miss work as a cook;)

ShinAmano

So...Celebrating Valentines Day tomorrow (on my birthday) and here is the menu:
Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon with a red wine sauce
Garlic and Rosemary mashed potatoes
Parmesan roasted asparagus

I think it will be a good meal...open to suggestions/comments.

Zyzyxxz

neos said:
Willing enough to work to work hard and be payed with crackers?you're hired:D

Seriously, i think that if you can accept even to do burger's at a fast food, you will never miss work as a cook;)

hah well its tough in Los Angeles right now, I keep looking around for new restaurant jobs but everyone is asking for 2-3 year experience minimum.

The same situation when I got out of college at the beginning of the recession, gotta have experience to land a job but can't even get a job to get experience.

ShinAmano said:
So...Celebrating Valentines Day tomorrow (on my birthday) and here is the menu:
Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon with a red wine sauce
Garlic and Rosemary mashed potatoes
Parmesan roasted asparagus

I think it will be a good meal...open to suggestions/comments.

Looks good, my suggestions would be to make the potatoes a day in advance and use a ricer or a food mill, they will give you superb mash potatoes with great consistency all around. I got a OXO brand from Bed Bath and Beyond for only $20.

With a potato ricer you don't even have to peel your potatoes. Just boil them with the skin on, cut them in half and put them into the ricer.

Minamu

Wow, IKEA meatballs are so damn good :lol Haven't had that in years.

I think I'll save this thread. Might come in handy when/if I become a student later on. Really need to start cooking my own food :'( :lol

Zyzyxxz

Well its been a busy week but I had time to fit in some experimenting and learning.

Recently got my Sous Vide Magic, still waiting for my vacuum sealer to come in.

4352560835_c63e09365e_o.jpg

Tried poaching an egg and I got very interesting results.

4352561097_ed53a97b98_o.jpg

4352561999_b0e7ec7a54_o.jpg

Apparently the yolks cooked faster than the egg whites, something I've never seen before.

I'm gonna try cooking some cheap and lean cuts of beef sous vide to medium rare and I'll report back my results next week once I get the experiments over with.

Other than that I also learned how to debone poultry, but I didn't do a good job my first time. Also it was a cornish hen so it was small, therefore little room to work with.
4352561371_9d1931a0a5_o.jpg

And finally something cooked: A quick lunch of leftover duck breast and fried quail egg "crostini".
4352561741_ea26682e3d_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxyz, great shots as usual! Did you add some vinegar to the water before poaching? helps to cook the egg white faster.

Quail eggs are a funny ingredient, a fellow chef likes to mock the people with them as an appetizer. Here's some with homemade jellied pork head:
smallP1020900.jpg

or simply plain as a compliment from the kitchen:
smallCIMG1406.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I discovered the bestest cake receipe in the world. Or, at least, I just had the tastiest cake I've ever had. I'm making it myself later this week, will make photos for this thread which won't look half as good as what some of you guys produce but whatever, this cake is not a lie :).

Well, Gyro Pizza night has been derailed for the next....4 weeks or so. Why? The Farmer's Market was actually out of Gyro Wraps for the first time ever! :(

Therefore, last night began the mini-odyssey of the Panini Pizza---Panini also being something I'd never had a chance to try before and the only roughly comparable thing they apparently still had left in stock. Versus a Gyro wrap:

-A fair bit bigger
-Different, drier texture
-Totally different taste due in part, to me at least, lack of oil used and surely other bits.
-Seems a little more resilient against burning at 350degrees. Worthless instructions on the bag assume that I surely have a Panini Grill to warm it properly with so for all I know these things like a different temperature moreso. Anybody know?

All in all, it still fit in the little oven and I also had a new cheese, Parrano, to break it in with before fixing the first Full Chaos one I've had in a long time now with some of the Holiday leftovers. Parrano didn't seem to have an distinguishing features really....didn't melt quickly and was just a solid, good cheese. Apparently pretty expensive by the pound though compared to most, so who knows?

You ever tried pre-made, refrigerated pizza dough balls, ElectricThunder? I've had pretty good luck with the ones Trader Joe's and (the SWestern regional-ish, I think) Sunflower Markets sells. I know you've done extensive experimentation wrt cheese.

slidewinder said:
You ever tried pre-made, refrigerated pizza dough balls, ElectricThunder? I've had pretty good luck with the ones Trader Joe's and (the SWestern regional-ish, I think) Sunflower Markets sells. I know you've done extensive experimentation wrt cheese.

Nope, I've never even tried one of those little ready to heat Digiornio full crust/dough thingies! :lol Prior to starting this strange odyssey of mine, the only pizza interactions I had were chains, the occasional sit down place, and miscellaneous frozen ones. I suppose I might do well to keep an eye out for one at Publix or some such as time rolls along though if I'm ever in the mood to try a more "traditional" pizza experiment and not just get delivery or one of my beloved Home Run Inn frozen pizzas (Uncured Pepperoni is amazingly tastyupon trying one this week---grab one of these if you see one at a local store)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom