• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beje

Banned
I'm preparing seitan right now for the first time. The first round is boiling, will post results and impressions in half an hour :D

mYm|17|

I forgot who gave me the chicken enchilada recipe awhile back but I finally made it and it turned out deeeeeeeeelicious. Only thing I would do different is fry the tortillas and then dip them in the enchilada sauce before making them. Other than that it was yummy.

Then I used the chicken recipe again last night to make shredded chicken with rice.

beje

Banned
7w1yx.jpg

mmmmm I think I should have let it cook for some more time (or at higher heat). Anyway, it's yummy and it didn't end up like bubble gum: more than enough for a first attempt :lol

Secound round cooking right now!

beje

Banned
nakedsushi said:
What did you mix into the seitan? It looks really brown and seasoned.

I mixed the wheat gluten + spices with two parts water + half part soy sauce + 2 cubes of vegetable stock (heat until the stock dissolves) instead of plain water, then cooked it in vegetable soup (made with red/green peepers and onion)

Edit: OMG, it absolutely looks like beef when you sautee it on the pan with a little olive oil, and the texture is almost exactly the same. This is fucking madness :lol

Edit 2: I followed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yahpkUjm-Xc I'm sorry it's in spanish, but I think it's fairly easy to follow

Axion22

So I bought a couple pie pumpkins today.
hkUYol.jpg

I did some searching and found this method for preparation to be to my liking.
YHPoQl.jpg

RNBC5l.jpg

ygkOOl.jpg

Oiled and ready:
a7HCJl.jpg

Pulled out at 30 mins:
87BzYl.jpg

Mmm, honey:
wn6vv.jpg

Brush it real good:
GdVTvl.jpg

Fully roasted:
pHDz9l.jpg

Flesh off the skin:
eCdLil.jpg

Mashin' it up:
AY6U7l.jpg

The yield was about a cup and a half for the smaller one.

And I used the same muffin recipe again:
XK1S7l.jpg

They haven't completely cooled but I ate one already and I can tell the pumpkin makes it a little sweeter-tasting.

Still have the larger pumpkin left and I'm going to try to make a couple pies out of it.

Did somebody say enchiladas?

72438_1660025024944_1366713710_1678263_2105547_n.jpg

Last time I made them they were just too soggy so I took a different approach to them and just poured the sauce on top, no cheese on the inside either just plenty on top. Turned out great, definitely prefer it this way just next time I'll put a little cheese on the inside too.

Ingredients
Onion
Pablano Pepper
Bell Pepper
Chicken Breast
Tomato
Cilantro
Adobo Seasoning
Black Pepper
Tortilla (small, 6" I think)
Shredded Cheese Blend (I had a mexican blend to use)
Canned Enchilada Sauce (Mom had it in the pantry which inspired me to make some)

Procedure
Saute the onion, pablano, and bell pepper. Season vegetables lightly with adobo. Remove vegetables when slightly translucent (they will be cooked in the oven later for 40ish minutes so you're just getting that bitter rawness out of them in the saute). Add the chopped tomato and some cilantro. Reserve vegetables and using the same pan saute the chicken the small bits of chicken breast you have already cut up and seasoned with quite a bit of adobo (They don't have to be fully cooked, Pink in the very center is what I did).

Grab a portion of chicken and a portion of vegies and roll inside tortillas. Fold the insides in so the vegetables and chicken just steam inside the tortillas when you throw 'em in the oven. You can add some cheese here if you want to, I didn't and that's how everyone but my sister and I preferred them (2/5). After each rolled tortilla place in sprayed casserole dish, seam-side down. Rinse and repeat until done. Pour the enchilada sauce all over the top of the rolled tortillas, cover dish with foil and cook for about 20-25 minutes at 350 F. Remove foil and cook for another 5-10 minutes to crisp up the tortillas a bit. Sprinkle a generous amount of cheese on top and cook for another 10ish minutes until the cheese begins to brown. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh cilantro.

The key is in rolling them well so they just get steamed on the inside the whole time, otherwise the chicken dries out (my sister helped me roll them and I notice this on one of the three I had :p). Also if your dish isn't high enough be sure to spray your foil or the top of the tortillas will stick.

Enjoy!

Talon

I always liked rolling the tortillas in the sauce first then packing them full of the meat and peppers. Cheese should only go on top (unless it's a cheese enchilada, of course).

Damn, I should make some.

Talon- said:
I always liked rolling the tortillas in the sauce first then packing them full of the meat and peppers. Cheese should only go on top (unless it's a cheese enchilada, of course).

Damn, I should make some.

Yeah that's how I normally do em but wanted to try something different and they were really great this way. I always love a little more gooey cheese too :p

Axion22

Here is the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Chocolate-Chip-Muffins/Detail.aspx

Today, after they'd cooled and firmed up (the chocolate chips make it hard to get them out of the paper when they're warm), you can really taste the pumpkin flavor that wasn't present with the canned pumpkin. It's both sweeter and more pumpkin-y, if that makes sense. With the canned, you tasted more of the spices and less of the pumpkin.

If you have the time (and apparently the extra money, I got more pumpkin per dollar with the canned), I think it's worth it. Plus, turning a pumpkin into food in a few hours is pretty satisfying. :D

hitsugi

That's a solid looking tartare, Zyzyxxz..

been meaning to ask you for a while - where do you purchase your meat / seafood? the local grocery stores here mostly sell.. well, not the best, and often at what feels like a premium.

I know you're near by, so hook it up! :D

Zyzyxxz

hitsugi said:
That's a solid looking tartare, Zyzyxxz..

been meaning to ask you for a while - where do you purchase your meat / seafood? the local grocery stores here mostly sell.. well, not the best, and often at what feels like a premium.

I know you're near by, so hook it up! :D

Heh well I do have a penchant for quality but to be honest I never stick to one place. I tend to shop by where I know I can get a quality product and if it can't be helped I may visit 2-3 supermarkets in a day to get what I need.

I don't buy the organic bullshit that Wholefoods tries to sell on meat because the certification does not hold a high standard.

For the most part I buy at Japanese markets because I know that they build close relationships with their suppliers and obtain good quality meats. If you want affordable American style Wagyu try to the Little Tokyo Shopping Center at 3rd St and Alameda.

In general you can find good stuff at Mitsuwa, Nijiya Market, and Marukai Market (this one requires a $10 annual membership but offers the best prices of all). I shop for groceries alternating alot and quality wise I stick to these places but you can find good stuff at Chinese grocers too. I live in Arcadia so I frequent the Arcadia Supermarket where occasionally they will have a nice fresh batch of seafood and sometimes fresh meat, just gotta know when its too old.

Seafood tends to run alot at the Japanese markets but thats a given considering how much a love they have for seafood, demand for quality is higher so I would recommend you check out Chinese where they often have live tanks of fish.

Last thing to note, Japanese markets usually don't label their meats organic but usually the Styrofoam will be different for premium naturally raised meat. Regular styrofoam will be white/yellow but places like Mitsuwa will have it pink with fat marbling white stripes. Usually it doesn't say on the label but when its pork it will be kurobuta pork and not your average pork. Same goes for chicken it may be labeled natural raised chicken which will be Jidori chicken (which actually tastes like a real chicken) and not that factory farmed shit.

Axion22

Nijiya and Marukai :D

I don't live close enough to buy meats at these places, but it all looks spectacular.

If I had the money and time, I'd bring a cooler and make regular trips.

I made some curry chicken avocado salad:
21khthj.jpg

It has shredded chicken, green onion, celery, cubed gala apples, dried cranberries, chopped grapes, mayonnaise, curry powder and black pepper on top of half an avocado and greens.

So easy. Soooooo goooooood....

I love looking at this thread on fridays just before work ends, gets me all excited for the weekend feasts :)

Here is what my partner mad me last saturday morning: fresh bread toasted, fried and scrambled eggs from happy chickens
as happy as they can be i guess
with some smoked salmon, and finally beacon from the local butchers. SO good.

5125288133_84b81d110b_z.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
electristan said:
I love looking at this thread on fridays just before work ends, gets me all excited for the weekend feasts :)

Here is what my partner mad me last saturday morning: fresh bread toasted, fried and scrambled eggs from happy chickens
as happy as they can be i guess
with some smoked salmon, and finally beacon from the local butchers. SO good.

5125288133_84b81d110b_z.jpg

Looks pretty damn good.

oPULh.jpg

Various new things! Woo~! :lol

Raw Sharp Cheddar for the Cheese, some Croutons on the side, and a weirdly sweet but delicious Australian Steak Sauce into the mix.

The biggest thing for me was finally breaking into new territory meat wise---Sopressata! After all this time, I finally found a few varieties of it in the store so went with the pre-sliced big one for a first try as opposed to the whole wrapped ones. It is definitely similar to Pepperoni, yet different while still being really tasty.

Pretty much the most new things I've been able to try at once in a good while, and in the following weeks I should finally have access to some new spices to play with in the form of Turmeric and Garam Marsala...

Meadows

Banned
my GF has spent the last hour looking through page after page of this thread, she got some great ideas too! (the dry aged stuff was amazing)

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the Halloween costume thread but I suppose it would be more appropriate here:

Disgusting Dinner 2010
meathead.jpg

Disgusting Dinner 2009
theotherotherwhitemeat.jpg

I love Halloween themed food!

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Rice wine vinegar has a very mellow flavor compared to white vinegar. Its not as strong and its something I would use as flavoring touches on a dish. I find white vinegar can have a very harsh taste sometimes especially if its those supermarket surplus jugs. I would definitely try it with red wine vinegar, not that I have but I think the color would be amazing and the flavor as well.

Forgot to ask. Regular Rice Wine vinegar or seasoned?

Axion22

I eat like such a slob when I'm only cooking for myself.

My girl is sick so I made her chicken noodle soup.

Meanwhile, I ate two fried egg cheeseburgers.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Zyzyxxz said:
That is amazing! Can you describe how you made that head?

I bought a plastic skull at a party store, cut off the top of the skull and cut out the teeth. Tightly plastic wrapped the whole thing. Left some slack in the plastic lining the empty cranium. Smeared cream cheese over the plastic wrap and stuck some Italian roast beef on top of the cream cheese to cover the skull. I also put some cured ham on there as well. The eyes are marinated onions, the brains are jello from a brain jello mold and the "maggots" are rice. The tongue is made out of a chicken tender that I accidently left in the oven for waaaay too long.

vwyE6.jpg

Gouda/Dubliner with grated Romano, Turkey Bacon, Mixed Ground Peppercorn, and that surprisingly damned awesome Austrailan Steak Sauce (Seriously, that is the name on the bottle) :lol

Zyzyxxz

Not much innovation going on in my end, sticking with classics because work has really been wearing me out. Sometimes just want to eat a big bowl of hot kimchi stew or steak and fries.

Next week I'm going to be working on a new dish for the cafe that we are opening up since the food truck business might not last forever here in Los Angeles. Right now I'm doing a torta and I'm thinking of doing my self proclaimed best tonkatsu ever in a sandwich. I'm thinking something along the lines of "milanesa de puerco. Basically a Japanese style fried pork cutlet inside torta bread with a helping of some kind of greens and a curry sauce yet to be decided. I'm nervous and hope it fits with the theme of food we are going for.

So here's the past week's cooking:

Those fries are handcut
5145315772_e1d85b059f_b.jpg

kimchi jigae, a random stew of kimchi, pork belly, scallions, daikon, and rice cakes.
5144714763_a2d061ba72_b.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
IronGAF, I need some help. I lost my job in August and have a problem with going out to eat for lunch every day (usually Subway, etc.) and it is killing my wallet.

What I want from you all are any good lunch foods that are fairly cheap, easy, and somewhat healthy that I can make that will not make me want to go out to eat.

Any help? :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been making some pizzas. They are delicious.

*How do I clean flour/dough out from a bowl? Is there some magic way to make this easier?
Deadly Cyclone said:
IronGAF, I need some help. I lost my job in August and have a problem with going out to eat for lunch every day (usually Subway, etc.) and it is killing my wallet.

What I want from you all are any good lunch foods that are fairly cheap, easy, and somewhat healthy that I can make that will not make me want to go out to eat.

Rice/Beans
Spaghetti
Soup
Sammich

Splitting a $5 sub and loading it with veggies isn't bad though.

CrankyJay

Banned
Let's say you spend an average of $5 at Subway every other day for a week, you're going to spend $15-20.

For that same amount you could buy most of the fixings for a sub/sandwich for a fraction of the cost.

Zyzyxxz

Deadly Cyclone said:

grains (rice, beans, ect)
eggs
chicken thigh (hard to overcook and almost always tasty!)
frozen peas/corn?

Zyzyxxz said:
kimchi jigae, a random stew of kimchi, pork belly, scallions, daikon, and rice cakes.

We are on the same wavelength. I was craving something comforting and spicy (despite the 93F weather!) last night and made ddukbokki!

5148543407_ec11a66fa7.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I made some chimichurry sauce to go with my skirt steak last night, it turned out so good.

I finally had guests over for dinner earlier in the week. It was sort of a last minute thing. My g/f and I both have cooked many times near perfect meals. The one night we get to show off, the meal turned out mediocre. We usually cook for two and this time we cooked for four. The menu was skirt steak with asparagus and tostones (fried ripe plantains).

Not ever serving steak for dinner again. Next time, I'm making dirty laundry like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ons-and-tomatoes-ropa-vieja-recipe/index.html

I won't use beer, I'll use a nice red wine.

Alucrid

Banned
I was wondering if anyone had tips on making fried rice.

1) Heat up some vegetable oil in a frying pan.
2) Throw in some minced ginger, wait until brown.
3) Toss in the rice, heat it up a bit.
4) Toss in some soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix it up.
5) Toss in peas and carrots, wait until hot, then serve.

I dunno if I want to add egg in, and I can't really think of what else to put in. Onions? I couldn't find water chestnuts either.

Darkatomz

Alucrid said:

I dunno if I want to add egg in, and I can't really think of what else to put in. Onions? I couldn't find water chestnuts either.
Use day-old rice. Freshly cooked rice has too much moisture in it to make good fried rice.

Alucrid said:

Are you tying for something more authentic? Or Panda Express-style fare?

Alucrid

Banned
Darkatomz said:
Use day-old rice. Freshly cooked rice has too much moisture in it to make good fried rice.

Oh, I most definitely did that, just forgot to say so. :D

CrystalGemini said:
Are you tying for something more authentic? Or Panda Express-style fare?

I guess more Panda Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom