• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

http://twitter.com/#!/FlyingPigTruck

our twitter, so check that out.

our schedule usually goes like this unless there is a private catering or special event:

Truck1 Lunch:
Mon-Fridays 12200 Olympic Blvd, outside the Fandango and Hulu offices

Truck2 Lunch:
Random lunch spots, sometimes in Burbank, Santa Monica, but on Fridays we go to Downtown 9th and Hope near the FIDM school.

Dinner: We go to Sawtelle and Olympic, LIttle Tokyo, and Abbot Kinney Blvd on Thurs through Saturday

Let me know ahead of time if you are gonna try to make it out there. That way I'll be sure to save the good parts for you guys :lol. I'll be on the truck this Tues and Wednesday during lunch and Thursday for dinner.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Homemade Bolognese today, recipe to be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4679803&postcount=165
substitute the ketchup with half a bottle of red wine.
smallP1010368.jpg

IMG_0489800x600.jpg

IMG_0488800x600.jpg

IMG_0492800x600.jpg

enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks. the ingredients pic is a bit older and was taken with a Panasonic Lumix Tz3, the prep and serve pics were taken with a Canon Powershot S90.

Zyzyxxz

Great pictures Onkel, I still remember when I use to browse the old, old thread and saw those pics.

Does anyone have any good tips for beef wellington? I tried making my first batch today and it was alright but needed work.

How thick should the puff pastry be? Do I need to put the wellington on a oiled surface to prevent sticking or does puff pastry have enough butter to deal with that?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to you as well!

Beef Wellington: I'd stick to the standard thickness of puff pastry sheets and put it not on an oiled surface, but on baking paper / that brown sheets.

As for "olde pics":

IMG_0491800x600.jpg

;)

I have in my kitchen some fresh off the tree Meyer lemons, some week-old, homemade creme fraiche, and some newly stale lemon shortbread cookies (maybe 2 weeks old). Was thinking of making a pie but have never made a lemon pie before. Anyone have recipe suggestions? Thanks!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
parrotbeak said:
I have in my kitchen some fresh off the tree Meyer lemons, some week-old, homemade creme fraiche, and some newly stale lemon shortbread cookies (maybe 2 weeks old). Was thinking of making a pie but have never made a lemon pie before. Anyone have recipe suggestions? Thanks!

You'll want a little over a cup of crushed shortbread cookies for the crust (more if you'd prefer it to be thicker) and 5 tbsp of melted butter. Just mix them together until it's well-blended and moist, then press into the pie dish and bake for about 5-7 minutes at 350º.

I can vouch for this lemon filling recipe as I've used it myself; the creme fraiche part of your post leaves me hanging, though. I can't fathom a lemon pie with anything but meringue.

Cool, thanks, I'll check that out. Ya, I didn't know about the creme fraiche either, but I wanted to use it since it was there and I don't have any plans for it. Might be too much sour though, huh?

Zyzyxxz

I think I got this right but probably will need more work using puff pastry, I'll probably omit filet mignon in the future due to price and lack of flavor.

First we start off with some reserved duck fat from cooking off 4 ducks and sear off the filet mignon piece in a cast iron pan.

5072881035_6136d1bccf_z.jpg

5072881405_d55dcc28ef_z.jpg

Brush some egg wash on a sheet of puff pastry, place the filet mignon center, topped with some duck liver pate (foie gras is too rich for my blood right now).
5072881583_83aefe8a4b_b.jpg

Bake @ 420F for 20 minutes and for sides I served with some creamed corn (easy on cream part) and store bought rosemary rolls that have been lightly toasted.
5073480554_f5e40b24d7_b.jpg

Now for the moment of truth...will it be perfectly rare and not overcooked nor undercooked?
5072881967_9df80ae1b7_b.jpg

I'm gonna be trying variations and playful ideas on the concept of a beef wellington in the future.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fresh mozzarella was on sale today so I decided to make a real margarita pizza. Check out the photo. I thank Alton Brown for making me want one. :D

Photos via my Droid X. :D

Pre-Bake
2010-10-11_18-12-57_297.jpg

Finished
2010-10-11_18-27-07_270.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
http://twitter.com/#!/FlyingPigTruck

our twitter, so check that out.

our schedule usually goes like this unless there is a private catering or special event:

Truck1 Lunch:
Mon-Fridays 12200 Olympic Blvd, outside the Fandango and Hulu offices

Truck2 Lunch:
Random lunch spots, sometimes in Burbank, Santa Monica, but on Fridays we go to Downtown 9th and Hope near the FIDM school.

Dinner: We go to Sawtelle and Olympic, LIttle Tokyo, and Abbot Kinney Blvd on Thurs through Saturday

Let me know ahead of time if you are gonna try to make it out there. That way I'll be sure to save the good parts for you guys :lol. I'll be on the truck this Tues and Wednesday during lunch and Thursday for dinner.

OH FFUUU!!! I should stop by your truck :lol ... I don't QUITE live in LA but close enough to visit (Glendale). Would be awesome to meet a fellow gaffer.

Zyzyxxz

Prototype-03 said:
OH FFUUU!!! I should stop by your truck :lol ... I don't QUITE live in LA but close enough to visit (Glendale). Would be awesome to meet a fellow gaffer.

unfortunately my cooking here is not reflected on the truck's food. I just do my best to try to ensure we only serve quality stuff.

I'm back! Was hectic these past few months buying a house, packing, moving, unpacking. Didn't really get to make much until this week. Dinner today was a vegan curry katsu. The katsu part is made out of wheat gluten -- made it last night and stuck it in the fridge to fry up tonight. Did the curry from scratch with some madras curry powder and a oil and flour roux.

5073816441_684c9ba5f2.jpg

I missed you guys =D

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
I'm back! Was hectic these past few months buying a house, packing, moving, unpacking. Didn't really get to make much until this week. Dinner today was a vegan curry katsu. The katsu part is made out of wheat gluten -- made it last night and stuck it in the fridge to fry up tonight. Did the curry from scratch with some madras curry powder and a oil and flour roux.

Nice, I thought that you had abandoned this thread.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
I think I got this right but probably will need more work using puff pastry, I'll probably omit filet mignon in the future due to price and lack of flavor.

First we start off with some reserved duck fat from cooking off 4 ducks and sear off the filet mignon piece in a cast iron pan.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/5072881035_6136d1bccf_z.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5072881405_d55dcc28ef_z.jpg[IMG]

Brush some egg wash on a sheet of puff pastry, place the filet mignon center, topped with some duck liver pate (foie gras is too rich for my blood right now).
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5072881583_83aefe8a4b_b.jpg[IMG]

Bake @ 420F for 20 minutes and for sides I served with some creamed corn (easy on cream part) and store bought rosemary rolls that have been lightly toasted.
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5073480554_f5e40b24d7_b.jpg[IMG]

Now for the moment of truth...will it be perfectly rare and not overcooked nor undercooked?
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5072881967_9df80ae1b7_b.jpg[IMG]

I'm gonna be trying variations and playful ideas on the concept of a beef wellington in the future.[/QUOTE]

Looks great, but a Beef Wellington has a duxelles filling as well. Maybe that's why it tasted a bit bland?

and welcome back, nakedsushi, looking forward to seeing more from you again! :)

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Looks great, but a Beef Wellington has a duxelles filling as well. Maybe that's why it tasted a bit bland?

and welcome back, nakedsushi, looking forward to seeing more from you again! :)

The first time I tried it I mixed the duck liver with a duxelles of cremini mushrooms and it tasted about the same.

No pictures because I was seriously needing sugar quickly (and camera isn't cooperating and I didn't feel like futzing around with it) but I whipped up some I don't know what. Here's what it had:

1 1/2 C coconut milk
1 1/2 C heavy cream
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C corn starch
2 eggs
some random amount of salt (a pinch or two I think)
splash of vanilla extract
splash of Malibu Rum

(These are approximations of what I used by the way.)

Threw everything into a pan, brought it up to a slow boil until it thickened, took it off the heat and put in the vanilla and rum. Then put it into ramekins (a bowl wouldn't have nicely portioned servings) and devour with whipped cream.

It was quick and easy which is what my sweet tooth needed. :)

xYtGM.jpg

Well, I pushed my hesitation aside and decided to give Gorgonzola a try for the Naanza last night. It was....really different. Very unfamiliar, but not what I'd say bad taste, melted ok to a point but was prone to browning, and certainly had a smell to it. Also tried some weird BBQ sauce I found, JohnBoy and something, which worked out ok. Since using the fork to make holes didn't quite work, this time I tried slicing into the thing with a knife in a crisscross----better, but still...

Zyzyxxz said:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/5072881035_6136d1bccf_z.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5072881405_d55dcc28ef_z.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5072881583_83aefe8a4b_b.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5073480554_f5e40b24d7_b.jpg

5072881967_9df80ae1b7_b.jpg

I'm gonna be trying variations and playful ideas on the concept of a beef wellington in the future.

AMAZING!! I can't wait to make my first wellington. That looks so perfect.

CrankyJay

Banned
Jesus H. Christ that wellington looks amazing.

edit: BTW last week I had the best German dinner I've ever had in my life, of all places, in Aruba. There's a restaurant there called Bavaria where the owner/cook are German and he imports most/all of his stuff from Germany.

I had Jaegerschnitzel in a mushroom sauce and my wife had Weisswurst I think with a stone ground sweet mustard imported from Germany. Delicious, but I was stuffed the rest of the evening.

I wish I took pictures of the dishes but we were so hungry we just dug right in. Oh, and we got some fresh baked pretzels with a garlic/sourcream/mayo sauce. Very good.

Maiar_m

Not being a fan of Mushroom, you still make me drool with that picture OnkelC.
And of course, Zyzyxxz, that Wellington... Just damn.

Apple pie! Click on pic for recipe.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Zyzyxxz said:
Los Angeles, capital of food trucks now.

We're trying to work on getting our food truck on 2nd season of The Great Food Truck Race but we have no idea whats gonna happen with that.

Any GAFer that actually makes it out to my truck when I'm working it will get hooked up! Just let me know ahead of time.

I'm traveling to Los Angeles in November on business. I don't have a firm date yet but I'd love to visit your truck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
http://twitter.com/FlyingPigTruck

Sheeeeeeeit.
I'll try to stop by this week, what's our secret code word? :lol
Are you the only person on the truck or what?

Zyzyxxz

Hazaro said:
Sheeeeeeeit.
I'll try to stop by this week, what's our secret code word? :lol
Are you the only person on the truck or what?

I'm on the truck this Tuesday for lunch and Thursday for dinner to my knowledge, dont know about friday+weekend yet.

Just ask for the Asian guy named Johnny.

Zyzyxxz said:
I'm on the truck this Tuesday for lunch and Thursday for dinner to my knowledge, dont know about friday+weekend yet.

Oh wow, I'm really out of the loop! I didn't know you started a food truck! I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I work on 10th and Wilshire in SM.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Oh wow, I'm really out of the loop! I didn't know you started a food truck! I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I work on 10th and Wilshire in SM.

no I'm just a senior member of one. I'm only sticking around because I like the employees and we are going to open a restuarant soon. Otherwise working in a truck does suck alot.

Haven't posted in a long time, but I've been keeping my stomach very happy between new stuff I'm trying and what my girlfriend can do.

IMG_0494.jpg

An onion soup with cheese/bread on the top that's about to go in the oven for 10-15 minutes, tasted wonderful.

IMG_0515.jpg

Kimchi fried rice. *mouth watering*

IMG_0501.jpg

Night of steak and mushrooms.

IMG_0507.jpg

Easily my favorite from the stuff that I've done new. Baked Rotini w/ Pesto & Mushrooms. It's just delicious in all the right ways. Also it doesn't lose the taste over night, it reminded me of Thanksgiving stuff on how it got better the morning/lunch after :)

IMG_0509.jpg

Lots of different stuff here but the main course was a spicy thai soup that my girlfriend makes. It's so good and so hot. When I eat it I feel how it's burning my lips but it's so good that I can't stop.

IMG_0511.jpg

A spicy salad that I could eat forever.

IMG_0512.jpg

Easy pork + green beans + stir-fried egg noodles w/ mushrooms.

IMG_0513.jpg

Oh Banana Peppers, how I love you.

AVclub

I got the craving for some traditional Ukrainian cooking the other day, so I found this borscht recipe. It's basically a hearty stew-like soup made of mostly root veggies. It was really good and just like I remember it as a kid, with a few modifications.

gfnG9.jpg

I sliced the beets up julienne style.

XcX9d.jpg

Diced the potatoes and chopped the carrots.

9ycXS.jpg

Shredded some cabbage.

IST0R.jpg

I used uncased Italian pork sausage as the meat.

p0mpG.jpg

With freshly chopped dill instead of parsley and sour cream to give it that final bit of goodness!

Very happy with the end results. Fair warning though, if you follow the recipe, you'll have enough for like 10 people.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:

Tuesday it is then

Sumidor

Zyzyxxz said:
no I'm just a senior member of one. I'm only sticking around because I like the employees and we are going to open a restuarant soon. Otherwise working in a truck does suck alot.
Agreed. My biggest gripe with working in a truck is the lack of running water. Especially at night, trying to clean and wash everything.

Zyzyxxz

Sumidor said:
Agreed. My biggest gripe with working in a truck is the lack of running water. Especially at night, trying to clean and wash everything.

We have running water so long as we fill up the water tank since we are legally required to have a sink by health department.

Anyway taco night at my house because I just felt like it! Bear with me as I got a bunch of pics.

I did carnitas and carne asada but not in the traditional sense. Instead of braising the carnitas in lard or flavored water (ugh!) I used duck fat and lots of it. I had rendered the fat of 4 ducks over the course of 2 weeks and saved it. Reused it for multiple frying and a little bit for sauteing and seasoning my carbon steel and cast irons. For a final send off before dumping the fat I decided to go all out and fry the carnitas in duck fat. The result was a super rich and succulent pork shoulder.

5096201922_6c9d61ab82_z.jpg

5095603973_8957a0d4ce_z.jpg

5096202150_3259f7f1bd_z.jpg

the carne asada was not flap /skirt meat but rather shoulder clod steaks which is close to flat iron. Marinated in a puree of olive oil, cilantro, garlic, serrano chiles
5095604451_de2152eb55_z.jpg

5095604553_ac661d7e67_z.jpg

Gotta make sure I have the fixings: here are some pickled red onions and tomatillo salsa verde.
5095604287_2ba7b7c43b_z.jpg

And the final product:
5096202250_3c161e2d11_b.jpg

5096202810_9fbf95cd44_b.jpg

Sumidor

Zyzyxxz said:
We have running water so long as we fill up the water tank since we are legally required to have a sink by health department.
Oh, we had a sink and water. It was just really low stream and hot water was super hot, and cold was really cold. Just made cleaning up more of a pain in the ass. Especially after working all day and not be done till 4-5 in the morning.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
well looks like it might rain hard, if you still want to brave it go for the truck that is NOT at the Olympic and Bundy location because I won't be at that one.
Oh no!
Double bad news then. The twitter also says Truck 2 is doing something else?

Maybe some other time I can figure out.

Heres my first attempt with a porterhouse on a grill.
porterhousesteakattempt1.jpg

It was a bit too rare for me but it tasted really good. Wish I browned the sides more, pan frying it would probably be better.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Made some stuffed peppers for dinner with a couple of friends last night:

IMG_3738.jpg

And a pumpkin pie from scratch this morning:

5099764663_0723e56975_z.jpg

I also did cornbread-stuffed grilled pork chops on Monday, but they didn't take any pictures of those. :\

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
5099764663_0723e56975_z.jpg

I also did cornbread-stuffed grilled pork chops on Monday, but they didn't take any pictures of those. :\

Would you mind sharing your pumpkin pie recipe? I've never made it but I think I'll do a few practice runs before I try serving it for Thanksgiving.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, no problem. We'll be cutting into it in a couple hours, so I'll put another picture or two up later!

I made a gingersnap cookie crust, but obviously you could use a regular crust, graham cracker or whatever.

1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1 c (packed) dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2/3 c heavy cream
2/3 c whole milk
1 1/2 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla (I used a bourbon vanilla)
4 large eggs

Mix the pumpkin, sugar, spices and salt together pretty well and transfer into a small pot over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring it constantly until it's thickened and a bit shiny. Whisk in the milk, cream, vanilla and rum and remove from the heat. Whisk the eggs together and add to the pumpkin mixture in two or three small batches, stirring it quickly so the eggs don't scramble. Pour into the crust and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes. The top should be puffed up and cracked a little around the edges, and the middle will still jiggle slightly when it's done. The pie will "deflate" a bit after it sits and the top should get a nice shine.

HiResDes

Cosmic Bus said:
Yeah, no problem. We'll be cutting into it in a couple hours, so I'll put another picture or two up later!

I made a gingersnap cookie crust, but obviously you could use a regular crust, graham cracker or whatever.

1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1 c (packed) dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2/3 c heavy cream
2/3 c whole milk
1 1/2 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla (I used a bourbon vanilla)
4 large eggs

Mix the pumpkin, sugar, spices and salt together pretty well and transfer into a small pot over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring it constantly until it's thickened and a bit shiny. Whisk in the milk, cream, vanilla and rum and remove from the heat. Whisk the eggs together and add to the pumpkin mixture in two or three small batches, stirring it quickly so the eggs don't scramble. Pour into the crust and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes. The top should be puffed up and cracked a little around the edges, and the middle will still jiggle slightly when it's done. The pie will "deflate" a bit after it sits and the top should get a nice shine.
Thanks a bunch.

...Also I wanted to thank whoever provided the chicken-spinach-quesadilla recipe about a month back as I've made it two or three times since and it's quite delectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom