• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
5100962130_9a26d49760_b.jpg

It's very good, but if I were making any changes, I'd probably add a bit more spice. The flavors are there, but I'd personally like them to be a little more pronounced.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zyzyxxz said:
Would the quality be significantly better to use a fresh pumpkin or in your opinion does canned pumpkin work just as well?

Oh, I didn't even see this question before. I've never used fresh pumpkin, so it's hard for me to say, but a quick google indicates that it is indeed a better alternative if you don't mind the added work. Get smaller "sugar" pumpkins instead of the traditional jack-o-lantern kind, which apparently have stringy flesh.

CrankyJay

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

It's very good, but if I were making any changes, I'd probably add a bit more spice. The flavors are there, but I'd personally like them to be a little more pronounced.

Is any of that Captain Morgan 100 in the pie?

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:

That list is bullshit.

Kogi and Grilled Cheese are definitely influentials but Nom Nom and especially Munchie Machine? That is ridiculous. I'm not even saying this because my truck isn't on that list but I've seen the amount of craze that follows the truck and their food and Nom Nom and Munchie dont attract the lines that Kogi and Grilled Cheese does.

smurfx

get some go again
anybody here ever make carnitas? i would like to learn how to make some. i'd love to learn how to make char siu. i have like zero cooking skills but if i learned how to make these two dishes then i wold be set for life!

UrokeJoe

Cosmic Bus said:

You know Costco makes a pretty mean pumpkin pie... It's so good I wonder why people even bother making pumpkin pie? Now I know.

Zyzyxxz

smurfx said:
anybody here ever make carnitas? i would like to learn how to make some. i'd love to learn how to make char siu. i have like zero cooking skills but if i learned how to make these two dishes then i wold be set for life!

well seeing as I just made some carnitas a few post above.

All I did was season it with salt and lime juice then boil chunks of pork shoulder in duck fat (you can use lard or oil). Add in some bay leaves and orange peel too if you have it.

Char siu is alot more different in variations because there are some that are braised and some that are slow roasted.

UrokeJoe

As for carnitas. I've boiled country style pork strips before, and then shredded and fried the meat. The rest is just having good condiments. Good green salsa, fresh onion, cilantro, salt, and lime.

Yes Boss!

Cosmic Bus said:

Cosmic,

I'm the same way about having/wanting heavy
spice in pumpkin pie. I usually remedy that by using whole spices and lightly roasting them prior to grinding...the cloves, cinnamon bark, etc). Whole nutmeg in addition to roasted and ground mace for the extra layer on that spice. And I also use freshly grated moist ginger. That makes it all the more punchy.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz's post about tacos actually inspired me to make pickled red onions to use in a spinach/arugula/field greens salad with blue cheese crumbles and an Italian vinaigrette.

That will be the starter for a braised short ribs dinner I am making for the in-laws.

I made the pickled onions last night and just tried one and they are fucking amazing and have a wonderful dark pink color to them, and quite the vinegary kick. I'm almost contemplating not making a dressing and just using olive oil to dress the salad with since the onions are tangy enough.

img0257dg.jpg

Stalfos

Made some homemade pizza dough. However, the yeast didn't take but I just went with it and the crust was very thin and crispy which was actually quite good.

First one is a mushroom and olive pizza. I only have a shot of it pre-baking. I made this one about a week and a half ago.

I froze half the dough and yesterday I thawed it and made this BBQ chicken pizza.

Both pizzas were quite good. I wish I had some smoked gouda for the BBQ chicken pizza though since I think it worked really well on that type of pizza.

Stalfos said:
Both pizzas were quite good. I wish I had some smoked gouda for the BBQ chicken pizza though since I think it worked really well on that type of pizza.

Those pizzas look great, I prefer thin crust. Some strong smoked gouda with mozzarella is awesome for bbq chicken pizzas. I did it last time I made some pies. I did that with red onion and the bbq chicken and mixed in some of the bbq sauce with my tomato sauce. Is that cilantro on yours? o.0

Fine looking pizzas there Stalfos!

vUeXL.jpg

That time again for me as well!

Cheese this time was REALLY good, but odd: Cabot's Seriously Sharp Aged Cheddar

If anybody can explain to me what the hell the difference between Seriously, Extra, and Racer's Edge(the hell?) "sharpness" is, especially given the prices to be the same, do chime in~ :lol

Spread a bit of that weird Australian Cajun Sauce on top and it made for good eatings, though for some reason the Naan kept wanting to cook too fast despite the settings and prep being all in line...

Stalfos

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
Those pizzas look great, I prefer thin crust. Some strong smoked gouda with mozzarella is awesome for bbq chicken pizzas. I did it last time I made some pies. I did that with red onion and the bbq chicken and mixed in some of the bbq sauce with my tomato sauce. Is that cilantro on yours? o.0
Yeah it's cilantro. I've been to several places that put it on their BBQ chicken pizzas and I really like it on there.

Stalfos said:
Yeah it's cilantro. I've been to several places that put it on their BBQ chicken pizzas and I really like it on there.
Interesting, will try next time. I can imagine it to be good it's just the last herb I'd think of when makin a pizza, wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaking parsley for it. :p

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
Zyzyxxz's post about tacos actually inspired me to make pickled red onions to use in a spinach/arugula/field greens salad with blue cheese crumbles and an Italian vinaigrette.

That will be the starter for a braised short ribs dinner I am making for the in-laws.

I made the pickled onions last night and just tried one and they are fucking amazing and have a wonderful dark pink color to them, and quite the vinegary kick. I'm almost contemplating not making a dressing and just using olive oil to dress the salad with since the onions are tangy enough.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2730/img0257dg.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice! One thing I like to do is quick pickle em so they only turn slightly pink, sometimes the neon pink color looks a bit too gaudy for the food I do but either way pickled red onions is something I picked up from work and has become a staple in my garnish/condiments at home.

I pickled my first ever cucumbers two weeks ago, grocers had some small cucumbers labeled pickling cucumbers. Vinegar, water, salt, a little bit of sugar, pickling spice. Bring that to a boil. Remove from heat and threw in some whole grain mustard, chives, red pepper flake, a little bit of brine from some pickled garlic, and a healthy portion of dill my dad was growing (he had an insane abundance which gave me the inspiration), They turned out pretty tasty, had a bit of a spicy aftertaste because of the red pepper flake but I wouldn't change too much. Pickled 'em for a week and they still had a fresh cucumber middle to them but were definitely pickles. No pictures but... they're pickles, they all look the same. :p

My very first Beef Wellington, followed Gordon Ramsay's recipe for it having no prior Wellington experience, except I used three different types of mushrooms, crimini, shitake, and portabella. Oh and beef tenderloin is NOT cheap. The cut itself was $27 at the store, but he gave us the prime middle portion of it which I was pleased with. ;3

beefw.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
You'll want a little over a cup of crushed shortbread cookies for the crust (more if you'd prefer it to be thicker) and 5 tbsp of melted butter. Just mix them together until it's well-blended and moist, then press into the pie dish and bake for about 5-7 minutes at 350º.

I can vouch for this lemon filling recipe as I've used it myself; the creme fraiche part of your post leaves me hanging, though. I can't fathom a lemon pie with anything but meringue.

I made this tonight, and it tastes great, but the crust got soaking wet. I read this tip for keeping the meringue from leaking all over the filling, and will try it next time. Recipe said to let filling cool before adding to crust, but this says to keep it really hot to cook the bottom of meringue. Otherwise, the recipe is pretty great and I'll use it again.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Nice! One thing I like to do is quick pickle em so they only turn slightly pink, sometimes the neon pink color looks a bit too gaudy for the food I do but either way pickled red onions is something I picked up from work and has become a staple in my garnish/condiments at home.

They onions mellowed out a little after a few more hours in taste and were wonderful in the salad. Was a great compliment to the creaminess of the blue cheese.

It's my mom's birthday today, but we celebrated last night by making dinner for her.

5109670050_f8c9ea7fa5.jpg

Broccoli rabe, warm potato salad, roast chicken, eggplant caponata, and regular salad with a homemade white wine vinegar dressing.

Believe it or not, it was my first time roasting a chicken. It was incredibly easy!

5109669952_b8b6d9605b.jpg

I highly recommend "learning" how because it only takes a few minutes to prepare and it's definitely worth it! It came out with a crispy skin, and moist, flavorful inside, even the white meat!

Directions ala Thomas Keller:

- preheat oven to 450F

- get whole chicken, rinse inside and outside, and shake dry.

- take out any giblets or giblet bags inside the chicken if there are any. Stuff a half onion, half lemon and 3-4 sprigs of rosemary inside. Salt and pepper inside. I used about a tablespoon of each for the inside.

- Truss the chicken (optional, but it looks pretty and makes it roast evenly) by turning it on its back, tucking the wings under, and tying the legs together. Lots of videos online for that.

- sprinkle salt and pepper (tablesppon each) over the top and back, rubbing it to get it even.

- place on roasting pan, chuck in oven, and roast for 15 mins per pound. I had about a 4lb chicken, so I just left it in there for an hour.

That's it! Don't even touch it while it's in the oven. Go do something else for an hour. After it's time is up, take it out, and leave it alone for 15 minutes for it to rest. Then you can carve and eat it.

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
They onions mellowed out a little after a few more hours in taste and were wonderful in the salad. Was a great compliment to the creaminess of the blue cheese.

Also depends on what kind of vinegar you use, I follow closely to my work recipe which uses rice wine vinegar.

nakedsushi said:
tastychicken.jpg

Nice to see you back in the thread! I see you have a DeBuyer blue carbon pan as well? Good choice! Personally I like to brine the chicken to ensure the white meat stays moist and as insurance to overcooking since I tend to get distracted when things are in the oven.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Also depends on what kind of vinegar you use, I follow closely to my work recipe which uses rice wine vinegar.

I googled something quickly and just used white vinegar.

All I have at home is white, cider, and red wine vinegar.

The recipe called for all spice berries or pickling spices and other stuff, but I kept it simple with vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt. I wanted to get a base for the recipe and then on future renditions add in other spices to see how they alter the taste.

How would you characterize the flavor of rice wine vinegar? Always willing to check out new stuff.

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
I googled something quickly and just used white vinegar.

All I have at home is white, cider, and red wine vinegar.

The recipe called for all spice berries or pickling spices and other stuff, but I kept it simple with vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt. I wanted to get a base for the recipe and then on future renditions add in other spices to see how they alter the taste.

How would you characterize the flavor of rice wine vinegar? Always willing to check out new stuff.

Rice wine vinegar has a very mellow flavor compared to white vinegar. Its not as strong and its something I would use as flavoring touches on a dish. I find white vinegar can have a very harsh taste sometimes especially if its those supermarket surplus jugs. I would definitely try it with red wine vinegar, not that I have but I think the color would be amazing and the flavor as well.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Rice wine vinegar has a very mellow flavor compared to white vinegar. Its not as strong and its something I would use as flavoring touches on a dish. I find white vinegar can have a very harsh taste sometimes especially if its those supermarket surplus jugs. I would definitely try it with red wine vinegar, not that I have but I think the color would be amazing and the flavor as well.

One of the pickling recipes actually advocated using beets to give the onions a really dark red color, but again I wanted to keep it simple on my first try.

I made the onions the night before and tasted them in the morning and you were right, at first it was a bit harsh, but another 10 hours in the fridge proved to mellow it out a little more.

I'll try it next time with the red wine vinegar.

Zyzyxxz said:
I see you have a DeBuyer blue carbon pan as well? Good choice! Personally I like to brine the chicken to ensure the white meat stays moist and as insurance to overcooking since I tend to get distracted when things are in the oven.

Eeesh, good eye, but it's the mineral pan. It's actually the BF's new pan. I figured I would season it well for him with good ol' chicken grease since he's vegetarian and would never dream of cooking chicken on there himself.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I forgot all about this thread. In Onkel still around?

I've been on a tear lately, experimenting with striped bass, porterhouses and utilizing some more rustic cooking techniques to augment my classically French bend. One think I've fallen back in love with is hunting down ingredients. Just found salsify for the first time in my area, and had a good time roasting that with some artichoke hearts and heirloom tomatoes.

Now, all I have to do is break it to my butcher that I'm moving out of state. I think he'll be upset/happy that he's losing my business but will no longer have to deal with somebody who asks for so many specific cuts.

So tonight I cooked goat liver, indian style. I also whipped up some quick steamed beef dumplings as a side. I have some (grainy cell phone) pics for your enjoyment.

First, I thoroughly rinsed off the goat liver, and put it in a container before preparing everything else.

5y4z0h.jpg

Then I prepared my other ingredients (tomatoes, parsley, onions, garlic-ginger-green chile pepper paste, celery, and some curry powder). I made some extra for other stuff as well.

33uy9tf.jpg

2cnfgpu.jpg

I started by boiling the goat liver, and adding ingredients one by one afterward.

2llhq9j.jpg

After it had cooked/stewed for a while, I added some oil. The final dish:

4vpah1.jpg

I made a couple of mistakes (like putting too much water even though I knew I shouldn't have), and it didn't come out as perfect as I would have liked. It is still very good despite not having the right red color.

And here's some grainy pics of the goat liver curry, with the pratha I would be eating with and the steamed beef dumpling sides (in some soy sauce, though I could have eaten them with the curry).

2dub2nk.jpg

1eat7c.jpg

Anyways, I plan to post some more stuff I make. I'm no expert cook (that's my mother) but I am learning and trying a bunch of different recipes.

I especially love oatmeal (and peanut butter) and will be posting some food I make with it.

I've been reading the thread backwards and there have been some great dishes. Awesome thread!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
WanderingWind said:
I forgot all about this thread. In Onkel still around?

of course!:lol

WanderingWind said:
I've been on a tear lately, experimenting with striped bass, porterhouses and utilizing some more rustic cooking techniques to augment my classically French bend. One think I've fallen back in love with is hunting down ingredients. Just found salsify for the first time in my area, and had a good time roasting that with some artichoke hearts and heirloom tomatoes.

Now, all I have to do is break it to my butcher that I'm moving out of state. I think he'll be upset/happy that he's losing my business but will no longer have to deal with somebody who asks for so many specific cuts.
pics please!

So a co-worker lent me his Palm Restaurant cookbook, I may be trying a few of those recipes.

Their suggested method of cooking a NY Strip is interesting:
1. Pan Sear on both sides for 2-2.5 minutes
2. Let steak rest for 30-60 minutes
3. Finish Of in Oven at 425 with 8 mins for medium rare and 12 mins for medium

Till now I have been doing the Alton Brown method.

May try this method out next.

Axion22

Here's those pumpkin chocolate-chip muffins I made last week:

gTjAfl.jpg

BSB2Yl.jpg

Non HDR:
fRD4il.jpg

HDR:
kYsE7l.jpg

Really good, nice spice to them.

I've been reading that people substitute apple sauce 1-to-1 for oil when baking? I don't understand how that works...

I'm also interested in those pickled red onions. What up with that?

CrankyJay

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
So a co-worker lent me his Palm Restaurant cookbook, I may be trying a few of those recipes.

Their suggested method of cooking a NY Strip is interesting:
1. Pan Sear on both sides for 2-2.5 minutes
2. Let steak rest for 30-60 minutes
3. Finish Of in Oven at 425 with 8 mins for medium rare and 12 mins for medium

Till now I have been doing the Alton Brown method.

May try this method out next.

How thick is the steak supposed to be though?

nakedsushi said:
Goat liver! I've never had that before, but I like chicken liver and beef liver. Is it about the same?

To be honest, I've never had beef liver before, so I can't say anything on that subject.

Comparing goat liver and chicken liver, I'd have to say I prefer goat liver (though I haven't had chicken liver as much as goat liver). So you should try it yourself and see- it's pretty good.

Use the recipe I posted above (pretty simple actually: rinse the liver well, add it boiling water (1.5 cups should do- depending on how much goat you use), dice/slice the onions and add them as the goat cooks, mince the ginger/garlic/chile peppers and add them, add your (curry) spices/salt, pepper, dice the tomatoes, add some other vegetables if you want. Let it boil for 5-8 minutes with stirring, then stew it for around 25 min more. Check the goat to see if it is cooked through, and add some oil to the stew. Finally, you can add some yogurt/sour cream to make it creamy- make sure that you mix the yogurt/sour cream with a little oil before adding it to the stew as that helps it incorporate more nicely.)

There you have it- easy and simple goat liver curry.

In the U.S. goat is more expensive than beef (just an f.y.i.) since people eat it a lot less.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I bought an e-reader specifically for recipes as I can't stand dirty fingers on a nice book.

So, should we create a Gaf cookbook in a PDF format?

Zyzyxxz

JeFfRey said:
I bought an e-reader specifically for recipes as I can't stand dirty fingers on a nice book.

Cookbooks are meant to be dirty! :D I don't mind, the more worn it looks the more value I get out of it because I have too many books that I read for technique and concepts but dont take into the kitchen with me. For example I use my Momofuku book often and I've got plenty of spotty pages.

As for the PDF we have done that before but that was like what, 2 years ago? Even before I started participating in Iron-GAF.

I would definitely be down to help out but someone who has time needs to volunteer to piece it together and maybe make it look a little more professional than the last Iron-GAF edition. I would do it myself but I've been promoted at work to managing and maintaining both food trucks in our operation along with being present for catering gigs.

Fabiollo

My first post in this thread (I mostly lurk, but who cares).

33727_446771106142_714796142_5845962_3957594_n.jpg

Mackerel fillets with olives, capers and tomatoes

- put some olive oil in a pan
- add a red pepper, some crushed garlic, and the capers (washed and chopped)
- before the garlic becomes brown, add the mackerel fillets, and cook for a minute
- add a hint of white wine (preferably sauvignon), cook for a couple of minutes
- add the tomatoes and the olives, and cook until the tomatoes release some juice
- on the plate, add fresh parsley
- profit.

CrankyJay

Banned
JeFfRey said:

If you ain't getting dirty you ain't cookin'!

Zyzyxxz

Since work has a random schedule for me I decided to get back on my sous vide experimentation since I dont have to watch it and I can leave it cooking for a long time.

So here we have natural angus beef, chuck steak to be exact. Not the most tender but cooking things sous vide over longer periods will render anything tender.

5113648230_aec8be5539_z.jpg

Now into the water bath @ 120F for 5 hours.
5113050041_e6d7a8efb4_z.jpg

Once its out give it a nice sear
5113648626_5afc6d68d6_z.jpg

I let it rest for 15 minutes and then put it over a shallot red wine reduction and topped with lightly sauteed matsutake mushrooms which are in season.
5113050467_517686fcf4_z.jpg

Also did an appetizer of tuna tartare with avacado and fried shallots served on freshly fried tortilla chips (I just cut pieces of old tortillas I had laying around).
5113648482_45b83fd254_z.jpg

Next sous vide project is my 2-3 day New York strip steak in an effort to see how tender I can get a steak with no marbling before it turns to mush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom