• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon, egg, and cheese burger. GTFO vegetables! Ok, pickles, you can hang out over there.
sSj03.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
nakedsushi said:
Some quick snapshots of our dinner last night.

dinner plate:
5207548669_685f9fd648.jpg

Roast chicken, pan roasted brussel sprouts, kale slaw, stuffed squash, roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, and cornbread stuffing.

My mom and I cook a lot of stuffed spaghetti squash (usually stuffed with carmelized apples). What did you stuff the squash with? Looks delicious as always.

djtiesto said:
My mom and I cook a lot of stuffed spaghetti squash (usually stuffed with carmelized apples). What did you stuff the squash with? Looks delicious as always.

The squash was stuffed with quinoa, kale, goat cheese, chopped walnuts, peppers, and onions I think. Topped off with some fried-til-crispy sage leaves. Next time, I'd leave off the peppers and maybe put in some dried currants.

The grates for our stove came in just in time for Thanksgiving cooking. 4 regular grates and 1 dedicated wok ring. We immediately switched out one grate for the wok ring =)

5223801977_bf62648704.jpg

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
nakedsushi said:
Some quick snapshots of our dinner last night.

dinner plate:
5207548669_685f9fd648.jpg

Roast chicken, pan roasted brussel sprouts, kale slaw, stuffed squash, roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, and cornbread stuffing.

pumpkin pies:
5206973977_7c9363d0e8.jpg

How did you make/what did you put in the kale slaw?

Datwheezy said:
How did you make/what did you put in the kale slaw?

ingredients:
kale
dried currants
white wine vinegar
honey
extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
optional: parmesian cheese
optional: toasted pine nuts

It's pretty easy. Wash and dry 2 bunches of laccianato kale (the kinda flatter, leafy kind, not the curly kind). Tear out the stems and cut the leaves into thin strips.

I never measure anything but here are my vague, handwavey instructions.

Put a handful of dried currants into a bowl and cover with enough white vinegar to cover. Set aside for 10-20 minutes for them to re-hydrate. In the meantime, make dressing. The dressing is equal parts white wine vinegar (you can drain some out of your currants if they're done soaking) and olive oil and about half as much honey. Adjust to your liking. I like mine less on the sweet side, so I used less honey. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pour it all into a jar and shake, or beat it by hand to emulsify. Pour that over the kale and mix, kinda rubbing the dressing in.

This next part is important: set it aside for 30 minutes. This gives the raw kale time to absorb the dressing and wilt, making it more tender.

When you're ready to serve, top with the currants, pine nuts and cheese if you want, and then toss to redistribute the toppings and dressing.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
The grates for our stove came in just in time for Thanksgiving cooking. 4 regular grates and 1 dedicated wok ring. We immediately switched out one grate for the wok ring =)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/5223801977_bf62648704.jpg

Nice, so jealous! Even though I have a crazy powerful burner for my wok, I like the high-end dedicated look of that range.

BTW for those with Travel Channel I'm gonna be on at 10PM tonight on a show called Food Truck Paradise. Look for the segment on the Flying Pig, I'll be the guy with glasses.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Made some simple yeasted wheat rolls to have with sandwiches and burgers. Having radiator heat is great when there's dough to be risen!

5225235729_89ec28036b_z.jpg

5225235869_beb39971a2_z.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Nice, so jealous! Even though I have a crazy powerful burner for my wok, I like the high-end dedicated look of that range.

BTW for those with Travel Channel I'm gonna be on at 10PM tonight on a show called Food Truck Paradise. Look for the segment on the Flying Pig, I'll be the guy with glasses.
Holy shit I randomly caught that and just came to ask which one was you! Nice to see you.

Edit: your truck and the grilled cheese truck looked good.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Just wanted to post this.

L7n5vl.jpg

and this.

s6HFDl.jpg

It was very good. They took about 30 minutes to make. I live in an apartment, who says it takes too long to cook?

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
Holy shit I randomly caught that and just came to ask which one was you! Nice to see you.

Edit: your truck and the grilled cheese truck looked good.

Yeah the Grilled Cheese truck is good, the chef/co-owner lady is always cool to us and hooks us up with food.

fireside

Well the cooler sous vide works as advertised. I was a little hesitant when searing so I didn’t get a great crust and, unfortunately, the sous vide cooking only seemed to heighten how cheap the steaks I bought were.

They were very pretty though (no pictures). My cooler was a bit too big, so I’ll probably get a smaller one. I’ll definitely be using this method to cook stuff from now on; it’s very easy.

Zyzyxxz

fireside said:
Well the cooler sous vide works as advertised. I was a little hesitant when searing so I didn’t get a great crust and, unfortunately, the sous vide cooking only seemed to heighten how cheap the steaks I bought were.

They were very pretty though (no pictures). My cooler was a bit too big, so I’ll probably get a smaller one. I’ll definitely be using this method to cook stuff from now on; it’s very easy.

But it only works for short term sous vide right? No overnight stuff. I use a PID with a rice cooker and it costs me about $120 for the setup (I also have a vacuum sealer which is optional) and from time to do I do 72 hour periods with no problems.

fireside

Zyzyxxz said:
But it only works for short term sous vide right? No overnight stuff. I use a PID with a rice cooker and it costs me about $120 for the setup (I also have a vacuum sealer which is optional) and from time to do I do 72 hour periods with no problems.
Yeah, nothing overnight, but that’s not a big deal for me. I’ll live with my ten dollar cooler for now.

What kind of steaks did you use, fireside? I was thinking about trying this later this week with some strip steaks I have in my freezer.

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder said:
What kind of steaks did you use, fireside? I was thinking about trying this later this week with some strip steaks I have in my freezer.

Defrost them in your fridge over several days and let it reach room temperature for a few hours. I've done 6 hours @ 125F and I find strip steaks still tend to be tough.

fireside

slidewinder said:
NY Strips. Zyzyxxz is right though, they were a little tough. I probably should have Jaccard’d them.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I just made burgers on a forman grill tonight. I made them with ground sirloin, I covered them with butter and applied the seasoning on top of it, best burgers I've ever made. It was sooooo good.

Stalfos

DarwinMayflower said:
I want this stove to happen...like now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wBe3SDCcz8
While I'm a fan of gas stove tops that is actually very cool. The shear versatility of being able to use any number of pots and pans (as long as they fit) is great. Also, programmable controls sound like a great idea too. If this becomes a commercial product I might consider it in the future when/if I own a home. My biggest concern with it would be maintenance costs, since its a more complicated cooking surface it would probably cost a lot more to get certain things fixed (or software could crash etc.).

Axion22

The Chargers chased me away from the TV yesterday with their horrible play and into the kitchen.

I made pumpkin whooopie pies w/dark chocolate ganache frosting:
nh9fxl.jpg

Recipes here and here.

Then Chermoula Shrimp:
RQr2ll.jpg

Recipe here (in french)

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Great feature, congratulatons! Did it create additional customer base already?

Thanks to all for sharing those wonderful dishes and pictures. Keep it coming!

So far response has been pretty good but our target clients are rich folks, we try doing caterings for movie studios and upper income clientele.

Once our cafe gets close to opening in the next two months I'll be sharing more prototype dishes that I'm working on. Unfortunately recipes cant be shared since its for work.

Stalfos

Zyzyxxz said:
Nice presentation Cosmic!

Update for our truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_1b9duv0kg

We were featured on Travel Channel. I think my voice came out too high pitched and our boss needed subtitles.
Congrats on the great exposure. If you were the one serving in the truck you sounded fine (everyone hates their own voice on recordings) and I could easily understand your boss as well.

UrokeJoe

rakJFl.jpg

VtWpDl.jpg

Just wanted to share. Thanks internet, couldn't of done it without you. Except maybe from a book, but you internet, are just so much more accessible. Love you.

Zyzyxxz said:
So far response has been pretty good but our target clients are rich folks, we try doing caterings for movie studios and upper income clientele.

Once our cafe gets close to opening in the next two months I'll be sharing more prototype dishes that I'm working on. Unfortunately recipes cant be shared since its for work.
oh they know they want a triple dipped fried snickers bar covered in ganache

CRS

What kind of food would be the best place for myself to start cooking? I have some (but not a lot) of cooking experience and would like to start cooking this winter break.

Stalfos

ChldRebelSoldr said:
What kind of food would be the best place for myself to start cooking? I have some (but not a lot) of cooking experience and would like to start cooking this winter break.
Pasta is always easy, you could try learning to make a few different sauces. Learning to cook the different meats you like to eat is also very important. If you like steak try learning to cook it properly, chicken is common so its good to know how to cook that as well. I think what might be best is figure out what type of food you like eating and try learning a couple dishes that go along with that and then start branching out later.

CRS

I work in a deli and we prepare quite a bit of food. i.e. Pastas; salads; and make sandwiches, hot and cold, and some knowledge as far as protein goes. I'll take some pictures and post some and see what you guys think. It's not a typical deli and the owners have been trying to start a restaurant every once in a while (but sadly always fails :/). I usually get the closing shift so I get a chance to work with the restaurant and try to learn from the chef when I can but without disturbing him.

My experience hasn't gotten farther than the food that we prepare. Is there a website or book that can help me branch out and start learning?

Edit: I usually BBQ too so here's some tri-tip.
zbNvn.jpg

Stalfos

Ah I thought you were implying that you had less experience than that. It seems you probably have a good base of knowledge. A lot of what I've learned is from cooking lots of meals, following recipes, and watching food network and other cooking shows. A couple books that I have that I find useful as good all purpose cookbooks are The Joy of Cooking and How to Cook Everything. Others that regularly post in here might have some good websites or other books to check out.

GiJoccin

Cosmic Bus said:
Rosemary and sage olive oil loaves from tonight:

Any particular way you learned how to make bread? I got Reinhart's baker's apprentice, so I've done a lot of baking from there. The loaves always come out yummy, but I wouldn't mind branching out a bit :D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
GiJoccin said:
Any particular way you learned how to make bread? I got Reinhart's baker's apprentice, so I've done a lot of baking from there. The loaves always come out yummy, but I wouldn't mind branching out a bit :D

Reinhart's book is one of the best, so good choice there. I worked at a bakery for a while and did a semester in a baking/pastry program, both of which have been helpful in understanding the core elements, but really, I just think it's important to always be trying new things: techniques and methods, flours and ingredients, etc. It's good to know a few bread recipes well enough that you can knock it out of the part every time, but yeah, you're smart to want to expand the repertoire a bit.

Try making and maintaining a starter if you haven't already. That's pretty educational in and of itself, along with being rewarding as hell.

Cosmic Bus said:
Reinhart's book is one of the best, so good choice there. I worked at a bakery for a while and did a semester in a baking/pastry program, both of which have been helpful in understanding the core elements, but really, I just think it's important to always be trying new things: techniques and methods, flours and ingredients, etc. It's good to know a few bread recipes well enough that you can knock it out of the part every time, but yeah, you're smart to want to expand the repertoire a bit.

Try making and maintaining a starter if you haven't already. That's pretty educational in and of itself, along with being rewarding as hell.

Ah no wonder your breads come out so beautifully! I found that with home backing, having an enameled dutch oven *really* helps get a crackly crust. Even though my oven alone is pretty good and goes to high temperatures, I've been putting the dutch oven (with cover) in the oven at 500F while the bread's on its last proof, and then dropping the bread into the hot dutch oven, covering it, and sliding it into the oven. Bake covered for 30 mins, uncover and bake for another 20-30 mins till the crust looks golden. I haven't been able to replicate the crust without a dutch oven =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom