• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axion22

adam.chance said:
Casserole

Spinach casserole? My parents make one with horseradish that is pretty good, and I'm not that big on spinach. A fancy macaroni and cheese might be nice, too.

I didn't cook anything tonight and I'm hungry...

adam.chance said:
Here is what I could use some guidance on . . .
  • Ham - I really want to do something fun and try something new with this. I was thinking about doing one of those Cola (Coke, Dr. Pepper. etc.) Hams, but haven't found a well described recipe yet. I am most curious about what type of ham should be used.
  • Casserole - I am not sure if I even need to bother with a casserole since I already have a fair amount of food, but we will eat the left overs. Also, I am not sure what type of casserole would best compliment what I already have planned.

There are a few Cola ham recipes here:

Cola Basted Ham
Cola Easter Ham

Other interesting sounding ham recipes:
Apricot Brown Sugar Ham
Bone-in Ham Basted in Beer
Marmalade Raisin Glazed Ham

Axion22

I went into the kitchen to see what I had. I remembered this recipe I saw at tastespotting the other day. I used 6 slices of bacon that I cut in half to make 12 cups.

Pre-oven:
l6vZvl.jpg

I only killed one yolk!

Right out of the oven before all the air escaped. :lol
rHI8E.jpg

Eat:
M8O3o.jpg

Axion22 said:
I went into the kitchen to see what I had. I remembered this recipe I saw at tastespotting the other day. I used 6 slices of bacon that I cut in half to make 12 cups.

Pre-oven:
l6vZvl.jpg

I only killed one yolk!

rHI8E.jpg

Eat:
M8O3o.jpg

O.M.G. That is amazing! I have to try that!

NomarTyme

Axion22 said:

Pre-oven:
[IM]http://imgur.com/l6vZvl.jpg[/IMG]
I only killed one yolk!

[IG]http://imgur.com/rHI8E.jpg[/IMG]

Eat:
[IG]http://imgur.com/M8O3o.jpg[/IMG]
^5 Great stuff.

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
This: http://freshmealssolutions.com/

+ rice cooker

Is what I use.

I thought about that, but a PID controller is only about $30. Everything else is also about $30~40. I'm sure I could put something together as a weekend project and save about $100 while doing that. Could easily use a $10 pump with a fritted disc to use as a quasi-circulator...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beelzebozo, great pizza pics, thanks for sharing. Did you use a pizza stone for baking?

Everybody else, thanks for sharing as well! Went through a bit of hardship the past year, I haven't cooked much so nothing to share from me. 2011 will be better again, or so I hope.

Keep it going, folks! Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you.

rykomatsu

adam.chance said:
I have been following this thread for a while and I would like to join in on the fun as well. I have been living on my own for the first time and have found that I really enjoy cooking. As a result of this new found joy my family has assigned me cooking duty for Christmas dinner. My family aren't big 'foodies', but they do enjoy cooking shows and trying new things. However, our holiday dinners are usually fairly tame and traditional. Since I have control that is going to change this year, but I could use some help. I could use a once over of my menu and I do need some suggestions or recipes. I have to cook for 6 people. I will be in Los Angeles for Christmas, so assume I can get my hands on just about anything.
If you want to try something, potentially, slightly more exotic, how bout consider something along the lines of fennel and poatato au gratin for a casserole dish?

beelzebozo said:
e.t., i would welcome you gladly.

here is a picture of all of us.

Cool crew, I'm with ya in spirit! Incoming Chihuahua and Dorfkase normal pizza with that damned delicious runny sauce tonight~

SHVU9.jpg

Was very delicious and though the sauce still managed to escape the dough, luckily, it didn't go far beyond the outer rim onto the cookie sheet. :D Last of my garlic powder and a ton of fresh ground mixed peppercorn went into the dough and on top respectively.

So...thoughts on coarser granulated garlic versus otherwise? This one was like fine sand and the like---thinking about seeing how the other fares...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
OnkelC said:
beelzebozo, great pizza pics, thanks for sharing. Did you use a pizza stone for baking?

always bake on a stone, but always use parchment to transfer from peel to stone. i like a dough with pretty high moisture content--makes it easier to stretch and work with, and improves the structure of the crumb--so trying to utilize the flower-peel-stone method is not advised. trust me.

you don't want to see it.

beelzebozo said:
always bake on a stone, but always use parchment to transfer from peel to stone. i like a dough with pretty high moisture content--makes it easier to stretch and work with, and improves the structure of the crumb--so trying to utilize the flower-peel-stone method is not advised. trust me.

you don't want to see it.

Same here! I've started using parchment all the time for pizza now after the unfortunate incident where I tried to slide the peel out super fast and the toppings just flew everywhere and a portion of the dough was STILL stuck to the peel, only stretched out between the stone and the peel a foot away. Ugh....

Tamale noob question

when im done making tamales some of them(masa) still look mushy and look uncooked..... why is this??

am i putting to much in the steamer?? am i putting to much filling?? i alos notice some water building up on the lid...... is the water dripping down onto the tamales?? what might be the cause of this and any suggestions of how to fix this

thx GAF

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nakedsushi said:
Same here! I've started using parchment all the time for pizza now after the unfortunate incident where I tried to slide the peel out super fast and the toppings just flew everywhere and a portion of the dough was STILL stuck to the peel, only stretched out between the stone and the peel a foot away. Ugh....

this was my friend's pizza which he foolishly tried to insert with no parchment. i've reduced it in size so as not to disgust you too much. it's not baked yet here--it actually came out looking slightly better, and had great flavor, even if the shape was, to say the least, hideously deformed.

let this be a lesson to all of you:

33bzpzb.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's been a while since I last posted. I've still been cooking/baking but never remember to take any pics. Last night I made the most delicious Oatmeal Raisin cookies EVER. I had to share with you all.

UIxAQl.jpg

jet1911

Long post incoming. :p

Today I decided to try to make my own tomato sauce.

Tomatoes, garlic, basil and italian parsley.

ZyMdq.jpg

I only used three cloves but it could have used a bit more.

sAkaJ.jpg

7ySnz.jpg

WFpt7.jpg

c626Z.jpg

55DAV.jpg

jEgkx.jpg

l78Eu.jpg

5qVHb.jpg

eoqmc.jpg

uLxdW.jpg

I really happy with the result. :D

CrankyJay

Banned
Brined cornish hens this morning for Christmas Eve dinner.

2 of those, with a 8 oz. filet mignon for me, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli and lots of fucking red wine.

Tomorrow...marsala marinated sausage stuffed mushrooms with scallion, marscapone, and parmesean cheese.

If I'm not distracted or too drunk...pictures to follow.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brown sugar cinnamon angel food cake

hvdyr9.jpg

w.c. macnutt, the vaunted white chocolate macadamia nut cookie

2d6mdli.jpg

fruitcake, chocolate chip cookies, granola

bged6g.jpg

cinnamon rolls, pre-icing, from the oven

zoetet.jpg

I could eat sooo many of those chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon rolls...

Good as it is, the only sweet I'll get at tomorrow is another slice of my frozen birthday cake from the end of November. :lol

rykomatsu

anyone with experience baking the no knead bread recipes in a dutch oven?

Have a quick question...can the technique essentially be applied to quite a few breads? I had way more success with my first attempt at a basic recipe (flour, water, salt, yeast) than anything I've tried in the past..

would like to try this on a french bread recipe but wanted to see if anyone had experience doing the no knead thing on other breads and the results...

thanks in advance :p

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
People wouldn't treat fruit cake as such a horrifying travesty if they'd get to try a good homemade one. You're doing God's work, beez.

rykomatsu said:

would like to try this on a french bread recipe but wanted to see if anyone had experience doing the no knead thing on other breads and the results...

There are no-knead variations for French bread, but they're not quite as straightforward as some of the basic breads are, and I wouldn't recommend making this type of bread in a Dutch oven anyway. French bread is worth doing a more traditional way, and if you're going to use one of the "quick" recipes, at least take a few minutes to shape the dough into loaves or baguettes and bake them on a stone or sheet pan; you're just going to get a better, more authentic result.

rykomatsu said:

Have a quick question...can the technique essentially be applied to quite a few breads? I had way more success with my first attempt at a basic recipe (flour, water, salt, yeast) than anything I've tried in the past..

thanks in advance :p

No knead bread and a dutch oven goes hand in hand. If you do 30 mins at 400F with the cover on, and then about 25-30 mins with the cover off (same temp) it should develop a great, crackling crust. Since no-knead dough is usually wetter, I just plop it after it proofs directly into the dutch oven and gave up on shaping it. It ends up looking kinda funky, but tastes fine.

I made a light lunch today in preparation for foodpocalypse with the family tomorrow. I got everything fresh from my backyard garden! Even the tomato, weird. I've been too lazy to pull up and compost the tomato plant I had leftover from the summer, but I guess that's a good thing because it's still producing one or two tomatoes! Usually I don't get that excited about lettuce, but cutting it straight from the garden does get me pretty damn excited. Just dressed with a little olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.

CrankyJay

Banned
Brined cornish hen with salt, pepper, and sage. Stuffed with lemon wedges and garlic. Steamed broccoli and oven roasted red baby potatoes with salt, pepper, and rosemary:

dsc0221006.jpg

Filet Mignon, seared in a cast iron skillet and finished off in the oven with a pat of butter:

dsc0226007.jpg

Sugar cookies!

dsc0185011.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ferrio said:
Hey that's what the recipe called it! But looking at the description yes, that probably would be the correct term.

Either way, looks good. I sometimes bind them up a little and make mushroom croquettes.

I think I might just.

Esch

Banned
Me and my mom made Chocolate cheesecake with a custard reduction. Shit is the bomb. I'll post pix in a bit. Also lamb roast.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Thanks to the individuals who made suggestions for my first Christmas dinner. It came out great. . . I didn't want to post massive pictures, but I didn't have the time to resize them. I will come back and fix it later. For now, you will just have to click the links.

For breakfast this morning I was inspired Axion22
http://i.imgur.com/AzC3y.jpg

For our late lunch I made, a cola glazed ham;
http://i.imgur.com/lgcTd.jpg

Bacon wrapped Asparagus;
http://i.imgur.com/eLC0z.jpg

Garlic Mashed Potatoes;
http://i.imgur.com/zZTVF.jpg

Biscuits;
http://i.imgur.com/pDmpu.jpg

Plain New York Cheesecake;
http://i.imgur.com/kPlE0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zHHSq.jpg

And here is how it looked on the plate!
http://i.imgur.com/X5iOD.jpg

Ferrio said:
Made some Mushroom Pate for xmas.

Left is Walnut Mushroom, Right is Pistachio Jalapeno Mushroom.

Nice looking pates. That's what we always call them too. We usually just do a walnut mushroom one. Never tried the pistachio one. Does it taste very different?

Ferrio

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Nice looking pates. That's what we always call them too. We usually just do a walnut mushroom one. Never tried the pistachio one. Does it taste very different?

I actually liked it better, jalapeno adds a lot.

Gibbo

Hey guys, thinking of learning how to make pastries/ desserts. Is there any book that you would recommend? The most complex dish that I've made is instant noodles with egg and spam- so the book needs to be idiot proof :D

Gibbo said:
Hey guys, thinking of learning how to make pastries/ desserts. Is there any book that you would recommend? The most complex dish that I've made is instant noodles with egg and spam- so the book needs to be idiot proof :D

Are you learning how to cook, or do you just want to make desserts? If it's learning how to cook, I'd recommend starting with savories (non-dessert food) first. They're more forgiving of error and you can taste as you go. I cook a whole lot, but I still don't like making desserts because of all the measuring and having to be exact. The hardest part about dessert is that you can't correct your mistakes once it goes into the oven =/

Gibbo

nakedsushi said:
Are you learning how to cook, or do you just want to make desserts? If it's learning how to cook, I'd recommend starting with savories (non-dessert food) first. They're more forgiving of error and you can taste as you go. I cook a whole lot, but I still don't like making desserts because of all the measuring and having to be exact. The hardest part about dessert is that you can't correct your mistakes once it goes into the oven =/

Actually I want to learn how to cook proper. Figured that cookies and such would be the easiest to start with no?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Gibbo said:

The thing with getting into baking desserts and whatnot is that you're often going to end up with a lot of food, so hopefully you've got family and friends to fatten with this stuff. ;)

The Pie and Pastry Bible
+
Baking Illustrated

Gibbo said:
Actually I want to learn how to cook proper. Figured that cookies and such would be the easiest to start with no?

Hm, cookies aren't too hard, but still involve measuring and are a bit too fiddly for me. But it's a good way to start if you want to do something sweet! For something savory, you can start with eggs. They're cheap so you don't feel bad when you mess up, they taste good, and they're so versatile.

You can scramble them, soft scramble them (yum!), hard boil them, soft boil them, bake eggs, make omelettes, make frittatas, egg custards, aioli, etc.

Zyzyxxz

Didn't get a chance to take pics of my christmas dinner.

Hopefully I'll remember to take some pics of my post-Christmas potluck tonight with friends.

I'm making a beef wellington with a flatiron steak inside since filet mignon has no flavor.

MrBig

Making pizza tonight, I'm going to try cooking it on a pizza slab instead of my usual holed pizza pan, and I'll remember to take pics.

tirminyl

MrBig said:
Making pizza tonight, I'm going to try cooking it on a pizza slab instead of my usual holed pizza pan, and I'll remember to take pics.

Nice edit :D

I got a baking stone as a gift and I have been making pizza like crazy. Sounds so good right now.

MrBig

Long picture post.

My dough's based off this, but with some Italian seasoning and honey added and some other modifications.

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

Using a pizza stone for the first time in a few years, I stopped because the crust never came out crispy and that's what happened this time too. Any tips for that?
Mozzarella stuffed and melted garlic buttered crust.

pizza3.jpg

Half of it topped with bacon. (That new ceramic knife I got for christmas is amazing.)
I also do some cheesy breadsticks.

pizza4.jpg

Set the oven to 500 and then turned it down to 400 after putting it in. Was a tip I got from someone, but I didn't notice a difference.

pizza5.jpg

Ready to eat with some garlic butter to dip the cheese sticks and crust in

pizza6.jpg

Tastes much better than you can buy to me.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Mr. Big, I think you've inspired me to look into making home made pizza with home made dough. Serve it with a nice chianti or nebbiolo, it would make casual comfort food far more exciting. However, oven temperatures in the 500's worry me. You using gas or electric?

luoapp said:
1266871833701.jpg

sorry, have to.

That was the look on my face as I was eating it. You can't begin to imagine how delicious that roast was. Did it on the grill, by the way.

Alucrid

Banned
I would definitely cook a hell of a lot more if I had a kitchen of my own. Note to self, start looking for a apartment/house now. :|

MrBig

otake said:
Mr. Big, I think you've inspired me to look into making home made pizza with home made dough. Serve it with a nice chianti or nebbiolo, it would make casual comfort food far more exciting. However, oven temperatures in the 500's worry me. You using gas or electric?
Electric. I only started using home made dough in the last few months, it makes a huge difference in the taste and feel of the pizza. I used to use pre mixed bags of dough I could buy at the grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom