• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Tr4nce said:
Could you tell me what this all is, and how you made it, pretty please? It looks delicious! :)

Asparagus? What is the meat? What are the other things?

NY Strip with Asparagus and fried green plantains (tostones) with a Chilean pinot noir (Veranda).

I cook the meat in a mix of butter and canola oil over medium to high meat for 4 or 5 minutes each side. I season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic and sometimes oregano. Once the meat was done I made a pan sauce with the remaining fat. It turned out really well but I'm not making pan sauces anymore, it's got to be bad for you.

I finally made Ropa Vieja (Dirty Laundry) correctly. It turned out really well.

giixOl.jpg

Yes, it looks messy. It's supposed to. It's not greasy at all though. The taste is actually rather sweet thanks to the peppers and onions. Served with the Château Montelena Cab.

IronGAF: I had the honor of digging around a seldom visited section of the Farmer's Market today and came across some cold-pressed Hemp Oil. In general, how's the stuff for cooking and such versus the likes of Olive, Safflower, etc?

Also, yay, found some Sriracha for the first time ever along with some Zatar seasoning! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ElectricThunder said:
IronGAF: I had the honor of digging around a seldom visited section of the Farmer's Market today and came across some cold-pressed Hemp Oil. In general, how's the stuff for cooking and such versus the likes of Olive, Safflower, etc?

Also, yay, found some Sriracha for the first time ever along with some Zatar seasoning! :D

Hemp oil is quite rare, the cold pressed oil is not suitable for frying and should be used for salad dressings and things like that. Tastes als great as a standalone dip with a fresh baked bread, salt and pepper.

Good to know Onkel! They had a good number of smaller bottles and some rather large ones(Smaller ones were only like $4-5, both from out of Canada...Quebec I think)---will grab a small one next time around since there'd be more to allot for it given that I won't be needing to buy another thing of Zatar, or Old bay seasoning, or some weird Cajun thing by that Paul Prudhomme (sp?) guy anytime soon. :lol

Also, good lord Cajun Buffalo Jerky is amazing and now my first real intro to Jerky beyond some SlimJim junk I was given once when I was 8 that was terrible and put me off form the lot of it. To my grits it shall go Monday morning instead of some Thick Cut Bacon!

XtGA6.jpg

This week: Cotija with some of said Zatar seasoning---very nice smell as it heated up on top of the Chorizo.

They uh, were not mistaken on the packaging---it is DEFINITELY a riff on Romano! Best grated, but it was still OK to me in little slices as it does get a fair bit softer under heat but just doesn't melt proper compared to others. Overall, the Farmer's Market has a fair number of cheeses that weren't even on my Big List but due to the insane crowd of people at the place I didn't have the time/patience to comb the place and take notes on the lot of it. Unfortunately, what I do know, is that they simply lack the outstanding majority of cheeses on my Big List---too many damn rough duplicates of the same cheese by different companies for all about the same price....ESPECIALLY goat cheeses taking up the lion's share of the space with nigh all already eaten by me. : (

Only got enough of that Italian Chorizo pictured above to last the next week or so...need to reckon what to replace it with. Was thinking trying to get ahold of a Hot Sopressata seeing as how the "normal" Sopressata went well?

I may have to turn to internet ordering far sooner than I thought at this rate....wish I had some sort of local cheese monger or something.

rykomatsu

If anyone's been looking for a le creuset french oven, the factory stores have the 4.5 quart rounds for $99 until end of the month :)

Speaking of which, any braised dish recommendations?

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
If anyone's been looking for a le creuset french oven, the factory stores have the 4.5 quart rounds for $99 until end of the month :)

Speaking of which, any braised dish recommendations?

crap if I had known I wouldn't have bought my Lodge cast iron.

Zyzyxxz

Been meaning to get a post going even my newly started up blog hasnt been touched in months due to work. Kind of sad for me since I don't get to cook as much as I did when I was unemployed. Not even having a consistent 9-5 work schedule ruins any kind of menu planning I'm trying to do for work. Hence this is why I think I made some wonton noodle soup the other day, needed to take a break from my hectic life and enjoy some comfort food.

We start off with a broth consisting of: shrimp peels from 5 lbs of shrimp collected and frozen over the last few months, 4 chicken back bones with some meat, onions, carrots, celeery, ginger, and dried shrimp.
5263007200_e717d2e556_b.jpg

After 3 hours let it boil down a bit and strain, drop in a cup of thinly sliced scallions and salt to taste.
5262397881_a4f2bb5479_b.jpg

While waiting for the stock to simmer down I started on the wontons. Today I used a shrimp and ground pork and scallions mixture seasoned with fish sauce, salt, and soy sauce. Unfortunately no Asian market seemed to be carrying canned water chestnuts for some reason.
5263007336_3e3dfec29d_b.jpg

Wrap them up
5263007424_736bf4ca13_b.jpg

Boil noodles, boil the wontons, blanch veges and place in a bowl and pour the shrimp/chicken broth over it.
5263007548_c0c7c66017_o.jpg

Oh and because this is comfort food night for me I decided to make some soy braised pork belly and eggs too.
5262398039_b260d1924e_b.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've only had wonton soup at Americanized Chinese buffets (and not even particularly good ones, at that) so your homemade kind looks and sounds faaabulous. Do want.

IronGAF, help me. I have a... "rumpsteak piece" in my fridge, according to an online dictionary... What can I do with it? I had another one before that I just cut up and fried to medium/rare and ate with bearnaise and potato wedges. Is there anything else delicious I can do?

CRS

Banana Bread goodness. Might very well be the only thing I can successfully bake. (Click for higher res)

Close-up

Flynn

otake said:
NY Strip with Asparagus and fried green plantains (tostones) with a Chilean pinot noir (Veranda).

I cook the meat in a mix of butter and canola oil over medium to high meat for 4 or 5 minutes each side. I season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic and sometimes oregano. Once the meat was done I made a pan sauce with the remaining fat. It turned out really well but I'm not making pan sauces anymore, it's got to be bad for you.

I finally made Ropa Vieja (Dirty Laundry) correctly. It turned out really well.

giixOl.jpg

Yes, it looks messy. It's supposed to. It's not greasy at all though. The taste is actually rather sweet thanks to the peppers and onions. Served with the Château Montelena Cab.

I'd love to have your ropa vieja recipe if you'll share it.

harSon

Banned
Haven't really participated in this thread but I just got done with my annual cookie baking marathon which I'll gift out. Made Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Molasses and Sugar Cookies. Two different types of Chocolate Brownies and Faux Almond Roca. All from scratch. It's around 400 baked goods in all...

sYF1b.jpg

l9ls2.jpg

This was some crazy doings tonight...messy too!

For Cheese: Publix came through for no apparent reason with some Ruppert Dorfkase which was great and melted nicely. The mess factor was from a different, much thinner, pizza sauce that is very tasty but RUNS LIKE CRAZY when heated up---first time I've had billows of smoke drift up under my Naanza from rampant dripping over. :lol

The other big deal was this EXACT seasoning----apparently this guy has a range of them, and despite this being the only one I've tried: Get. This. Stuff....at your convenience. Gogo Farner's Market as the Publix had other varieties but not this particular one~

Blackened Redfish Magic. I know there must be other crazy Cajun seasoning blends out there that are also awesome...but this is just mindblowingly good on pizza at the very least with a nice aroma as it cooks up to boot. :D

Zyzyxxz

Meadows said:
my gf asked for the recipe for this (she's Taiwanese!)

LOL she should already know how to make it better than me.

To be honest there's no recipe as it was a spur of the moment thing, I felt like having pork belly and I had plenty of eggs.

You can do this:

1 quarts of water
1/2 cup soy suace
2 tb mirin
2 tb shaoxing wine (chinese sherry)
2 tb sugar
3-5 pods of star anise
2 cm of cinnamon
3-4 dried red chiles

I browned the slices of pork belly and then covered with water and brought to a simmer after adding in the rest of the ingredients. Then I added in the eggs at a very low temperature to try not to overcook them. When the meat is fork tender I take out the eggs and pork and reduce the cooking liquid and add a roux to thicken it for sauce.

Recently I decided to take the plunge and try cooking bison, I bought a ribeye and it cooked the same way as beef and got it to a perfect medium rare. Served with sauce made of caramelized shallots, pan juices, white wine to deglaze and butter.

The side was mushroom and egg scramble.
5272929369_2c50c2e0e0_b.jpg

Next up is a peruvian dish called lomo saltado, I've been doing research into Chifa style cooking from Peru which is heavily Asian influenced. Here I have a stir fry of yellow tomatoes, onions, filet mignon in soy and vinegar with purple potato fries and rice.
5272930273_4d9c664a33_b.jpg

Had a dinner party at a friend's house today. Made a curry crusted lamb w/ raspberry wine reduction and mint yogurt sauce and giant oyster mushroom "chips":
zsvfi8.jpg

ne97bd.jpg

15hdgfl.jpg

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:
Had a dinner party at a friend's house today. Made a curry crusted lamb w/ raspberry wine reduction and mint yogurt sauce and giant oyster mushroom "chips":

Beautifully cooked!

MrBig

You guys make some amazingly fancy stuff :lol
I'll have to take some pictures of my pizza this week, one of the few things I can make that tastes better than what I can get from the frozen isle at publix.

After looking through the few pages, I'm salivating.

Anybody know a few good cooking theory books I may read up on?

ones that are more likely to be found at a library would nice as well.

James Peterson's Essentials of Cooking or Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques for the practical how and why of various techniques and foods. Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking for the scientific angle on same.

ChanHuk

Banned
Who's got a crock pot chili recipe?

I got one in the pot right now:

Brown some bacon, ground sirloin, onions, and garlic. Season it with whatever the hell you got on hand.

Throw that into the crock pot with all the fattening juices.
48oz of spicy V8 juice, yes spicy V8 juice
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cumin
However much you want your asshole to burn, add in cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
Add some hot giaradalla (sp?)
Half a beer (I had Sam Winter Lager)
Let that go overnight on low

Top off with cheese and sour cream and your asshole will not thank you later.

Zyzyxxz said:
Next up is a peruvian dish called lomo saltado, I've been doing research into Chifa style cooking from Peru which is heavily Asian influenced. Here I have a stir fry of yellow tomatoes, onions, filet mignon in soy and vinegar with purple potato fries and rice.
5272930273_4d9c664a33_b.jpg

This looks incredible. Well done man.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
5275873816_cef7bf9c36_z.jpg

Maple blondie cake with fondant and royal icing for my mom's birthday; she was born on Christmas, so they can enjoy this a few days early... as long as it survives being shipped from coast to coast. D:

Cosmic Bus said:
5275873816_cef7bf9c36_z.jpg

Maple blondie cake with fondant and royal icing for my mom's birthday; she was born on Christmas, so they can enjoy this a few days early... as long as it survives being shipped from coast to coast. D:
This might be the unmanliest thing I've ever said but beautiful cake. Great job.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just made some cheese&spinach ravioli with creamy alfredo sauce with sauteed diced shiitake and portabella mushrooms. Tasted soooooooo freaking godlike. Was sad cause I didn't take pics to share with you guys. :/
Need to buy a decent camera one of these days.

luoapp

CrystalGemini said:
zsvfi8.jpg

Can I have the recipe? Please? [drooling here].:lol

rykomatsu

tried cooking a steak via poorman's sous vide equipment:

a) ziplock bag (double bags to prevent water from seeping in)
b) straw from McDonalds
c) ice chest
d) glass thermometer (though it was calibrated from the factory)

I used far less salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic than I usually do and the steaks tasted far better. Very tender, evenly cooked, and juicy but not wet/sloppy/slimy. I'm hooked...unfortunately, didn't take any pictures as the food got lapped up by the time I realized it :p

Going to try to jury rig an immersion circulator after the new year...can't be that difficult imho...

So finally finished looking through every page on this thread (took a week) but goddamn...I'd be gay for some of you. Phenomenal stuff, good job people.

luoapp said:
Can I have the recipe? Please? [drooling here].:lol

hahah sure! I measure the ingredients by eye so feel free to alter the recipe to your taste! I used about a tablespoon of each:

Meat:
You can use just about any meat with this but I prefer lamb because it goes so well with the raspberry and yogurt sauce. This time I used a roast and cut it into four (more manageable) sections for the commute to the friends house. It also cut down on cook time and made for better serving sizes at a dinner party. If you're just cooking for yourself this step really doesn't matter. XD

Dry Rub:
-tumeric
-curry powder
-cumin
-ground ginger
-paprika
-chili powder
-cayenne pepper
-ground cinnamon
-fresh ground black pepper
-sea salt

Sauces:
-raspberry dessert wine
-plain yogurt
-fresh mint, chopped
-dill (I used dried)

Mix all the seasonings for the dry rub and coat each piece of meat. Refrigerate overnight (optional).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt about a teaspoon of butter in a large pan. Brown each of the pieces of meat on all sides and set into a baking pan. Keep the brown bits on the pan for the reduction later. Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on how large your sections are and how well done you like your meat. 45 minutes for well done (but still juicy). Ovens also differ in how they cook so make sure you adjust accordingly!

While your meat is roasting get your sauces ready. Pour about a cup of raspberry wine into the pan and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom. Let it simmer until it reaches just thinner than the desired thickness - the sugars in the wine will thicken the reduction more when it cools. If you over reduce you can just use the juices from the baking pan to thin it out later.

Wash and chop up the mint and stir into about a cup of yogurt. Add dill. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Take the meat out of the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Carve and serve!

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
tried cooking a steak via poorman's sous vide equipment:

a) ziplock bag (double bags to prevent water from seeping in)
b) straw from McDonalds
c) ice chest
d) glass thermometer (though it was calibrated from the factory)

I used far less salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic than I usually do and the steaks tasted far better. Very tender, evenly cooked, and juicy but not wet/sloppy/slimy. I'm hooked...unfortunately, didn't take any pictures as the food got lapped up by the time I realized it :p

Going to try to jury rig an immersion circulator after the new year...can't be that difficult imho...

This: http://freshmealssolutions.com/

+ rice cooker

Is what I use.

adam.chance

Neo Member
I have been following this thread for a while and I would like to join in on the fun as well. I have been living on my own for the first time and have found that I really enjoy cooking. As a result of this new found joy my family has assigned me cooking duty for Christmas dinner. My family aren't big 'foodies', but they do enjoy cooking shows and trying new things. However, our holiday dinners are usually fairly tame and traditional. Since I have control that is going to change this year, but I could use some help. I could use a once over of my menu and I do need some suggestions or recipes. I have to cook for 6 people. I will be in Los Angeles for Christmas, so assume I can get my hands on just about anything.

Here is what I have planned so far. . .
  • Bread/Rolls: I was planning on making some Southern Style Biscuits - I have a basic recipe that I have used before.
  • Vegetable: Asparagus Wrapped in Bacon - I have made this before as well and I really enjoy it.
  • Potatoes: Garlic mashed potatoes - Again, using a recipe I have made a few times before that works really well.
  • Dessert: New York Cheesecake - I have a recipe that I have made before, too. My mom has never had cheesecake . . . this must be remedied.

Here is what I could use some guidance on . . .
  • Ham - I really want to do something fun and try something new with this. I was thinking about doing one of those Cola (Coke, Dr. Pepper. etc.) Hams, but haven't found a well described recipe yet. I am most curious about what type of ham should be used.
  • Casserole - I am not sure if I even need to bother with a casserole since I already have a fair amount of food, but we will eat the left overs. Also, I am not sure what type of casserole would best compliment what I already have planned.

I would appreciate any input. I will be sure to post some pictures of everything and let you all know how it turns out.

A quick note, it will not be a big deal if this all doesn't turn out as planned or if my family doesn't like some of my experiments. My family has been known to make . . . interesting meals. I was encouraged to do what I would like with this dinner.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
we had pizza club this weekend!

barbecue chicken and red onion with smoked gouda

34ziljp.jpg

parmesan bechamel, ricotta, spinach, basil, and roasted tomato white pie

xogq3b.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cosmic Bus said:
I'd like to be buried on a bed of fresh basil.

we honestly used two whole packages of it. i set up a station for people to build their own pizzas and few lacked a good handful of fresh basil.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
HiResDes said:
So when it comes to pizza basil>oregano?

that barbecue chicken pizza had a butt ton of fresh oregano!

i use dried oregano in my sauce, pictured here. it's a three-pronged heston blumenthal-esque approach that results in a big bowl of redness. the bowl in the background has some porcini mushrooms that went in homemade pizza rolls.

105cdo7.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So after losing my job a few months back I am forced to cut back on spending and thus food money. What recipes can you offer me that are not only delicious, but healthy and cheap?

I usually stick to a few base things that I can use for leftovers, I'll make tacos, some kind of meat with a roasted veggie, tuna melts, and a few other things.

I love to cook, but am not an expert by any means.

Awesome pizzas beelzebozo---I could do with a pizza club. :/

No experiments from me this week on that front due to the holiday schedule mucking everything up, though I should grab a pic of a more traditional concoction tomorrow night for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom