• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinAmano

otake said:
Is it too early to start planning Valentines day dinners?

I don't want to go out this year, I'm planning on opening a nice bottle of wine with some killer steak dinner. So far, I'm thinking Filet Mignon, but with what?

What have you guys done for romantinc dinners?
I did that last year with a red wine reduction sauce...can't remember the sides...probably asparagus covered in parmesan and some sort of potatoes. Also had chocolate covered strawberries after dinner.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
ShinAmano said:
I did that last year with a red wine reduction sauce...can't remember the sides...probably asparagus covered in parmesan and some sort of potatoes. Also had chocolate covered strawberries after dinner.

How did you do your red wine reduction? what wine?

ShinAmano

otake said:
How did you do your red wine reduction? what wine?
It was a Merlot...not 100% on the other ingredients but garlic, shallots and beef broth were involved.

I am sure I have this at home somewhere and I will see if I can dig it out this weekend.

It went over pretty well with the woman ;)

otake

I've got the wrong pan for making pan sauces. My pan is non-stick. :(

Anyone made good pan sauces with a non-stick pan?

otake said:
I've got the wrong pan for making pan sauces. My pan is non-stick. :(

Anyone made good pan sauces with a non-stick pan?

I did, but it was my first time ever tasting a reduction so I don't know how good or bad it was. It did taste really good though.

I used this recipe to make minus a few ingredients and used the pan drippings and juices to enhance the canned broth i bought.
The kind of pan I used didn't seem to have an effect on how the final sauce came out, it probably took longer, but it seemed to be effective

ShinAmano

magnificent83 said:
I did, but it was my first time ever tasting a reduction so I don't know how good or bad it was. It did taste really good though.

I used this recipe to make minus a few ingredients and used the pan drippings and juices to enhance the canned broth i bought.
The kind of pan I used didn't seem to have an effect on how the final sauce came out, it probably took longer, but it seemed to be effective
That is almost the same recipe I made if I recall.

I've been making a lot of quick stir fries since I get home from work so late now.

5336217765_a29f4693dd.jpg

baked tofu, bean sprouts, bamboo, jalapeno

5336832766_523e204fb6.jpg

vegetarian offal and mushroom stir fry

5336832706_49c0487aed.jpg

baked tofu and rice noodles

Yoschi

Coming to this thread every time just makes me want to get fat real quick!

I have a contribution too. It's a commercial I made for the Nintendo Cooking Guide a while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQqEiOoCuLg

I made a thread, but putting it in the gaming section was probably a bad idea (1 reply LoL).

Hope you all enjoy it !
Let me add a snapshot of the video so I can compete :)

ClapClapCooking(Snapshot).jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What can I do after I cut off the leg/thigh and breast parts on a whole fowl? (duck in this case).

I feel like I should be doing something with all the leftovers and giblets, kind of regret throwing it out now but I have no way to store it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Halycon said:
What can I do after I cut off the leg/thigh and breast parts on a whole fowl? (duck in this case).

I feel like I should be doing something with all the leftovers and giblets, kind of regret throwing it out now but I have no way to store it.

Stock. Always stock. Mmm, duck stock/demi glace.

3ZW1B.jpg

Nice times with the Naanza tonight:

Hot Sopressata: Nice taste but no "hot" detected? Have you forsaken me Beretta?!(sp?)
Goat Gouda is pretty swell/somewhat surprising to me that it exists yet not remarkably distinctive with flavour, smell, or behavior. Some tasty Sesame Garlic Humbles, a chip thing made from Hummus(I have an even stranger one incoming next week...), made for a nice crumble.

Not pictured due to the arrangement: Crab Boil seasoning----tasty goodness on pizza even if one might be inclined to think otherwise. :lol

MrBig said:
That looks like it would be a mess to eat. sounds though.

Not sure if you meant my concoction, but if so---eh, not so much.

I generally just hold it up about like a normal slice of pizza and get to work as it is firm enough to hold the shape and not sag or break versus a deep dish slice or some such. Other times I knife n' fork it to good effect since I never think to try a pizza cutter on it and I don't have one of those big crescent blade dealies with the handles on the ends. The crumble aspect tends to stay in place on the hot cheese/absorbing excess oil from meats and such, or other times I just put it in a deeper layer as it still works out solidly.

That said....I wound up trying out eating it with a spoon tonight somehow----actually worked out fairly well as the Naan is pretty soft/fluffy right until the firmer bottom so it gave well pretty cleanly to the spoon with just a bit of twist needed to get the piece free. :lol

I also tend to eat pound cakes and the like with a spoon as well though, so perhaps I'm inherently suspicious. :D

Zoe

ElectricThunder said:
I also tend to eat pound cakes and the like with a spoon as well though, so perhaps I'm inherently suspicious. :D

Spoons rock. I eat almost everything with bowls and spoons.

MrBig

Made some turkey jerky
jerkydrying.jpg

jerky.jpg

Didn't like it as much as the teriyaki beef sirloin jerky I usually make. Added a bit of brown sugar to the bag and let it sit over night, tastes better now.

Raxus

Zyzyxxz said:
I've been hitting a mental block on menu concepts so nothing new from me except some old dishes redone.

Beef wellington with a flat iron steak inside instead of filet mignon
5325240358_3b196c0d73_b.jpg
How is this prepared?

I got some Lamb Chops thawing in the fridge.

Whats the best way to prepare them? I saw a cooking channel show yesterday where they were just cooked stove top approx 5 min each side. Either something like that, or should I be throwing them in the oven?

Zyzyxxz

cartoon_soldier said:
I got some Lamb Chops thawing in the fridge.

Whats the best way to prepare them? I saw a cooking channel show yesterday where they were just cooked stove top approx 5 min each side. Either something like that, or should I be throwing them in the oven?

how rare would you eat lamb?

Depends on the thickness as well, its its more than an inch I would do a quick sear and pop em in the oven @ 400F for 5-8 minutes for a medium rare.

If its tin then sear it well on a pan but no oven.

Either way let it rest 5-10 minutes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love this stuff.

o08k28.jpg

it's thicker, sweeter, and just in general more old-school "tomatoey" than ketchup i've been eating for years. i have made homemade ketchup the past two years, but i think i've found a reasonable store-bought substitute. if you've forgotten why you like ketchup, you should give this a shot.

Wanna make a mushroom room port wine sauce for steaks/beef/etc.

Whats a good brand of Port Wine to use?

I feel like a dumb ass asking. Should have watched the team in Culinary Class who made the sauce during our 5 course menu project :/

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
MrBig said:
Made some turkey jerky

Didn't like it as much as the teriyaki beef sirloin jerky I usually make. Added a bit of brown sugar to the bag and let it sit over night, tastes better now.

I got a dehydrator recently and made my first batch of beef jerky a few days ago using a a pretty chaotic marinade of balsamic, red chili flakes, brown sugar, salt, bay leaf, and paprika. Turned out really well, to my surprise just as planned. ;)

I've made some dried cantaloupe, too, but it ended up too thin and crisp. I want something more soft and chewy like this, so next time I'll try thicker chunks at a lower temp.

Alucrid

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i love this stuff.

http://i52.tinypic.com/o08k28.jpg[IMG]

it's thicker, sweeter, and just in general more old-school "tomatoey" than ketchup i've been eating for years. i have made homemade ketchup the past two years, but i think i've found a reasonable store-bought substitute. if you've forgotten why you like ketchup, you should give this a shot.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to try that. Love me some ketchup. Plan on baking some fries later this week, so why not.

MrBig

Cosmic Bus said:
I got a dehydrator recently and made my first batch of beef jerky a few days ago using a a pretty chaotic marinade of balsamic, red chili flakes, brown sugar, salt, bay leaf, and paprika. Turned out really well, to my surprise just as planned. ;)

I've made some dried cantaloupe, too, but it ended up too thin and crisp. I want something more soft and chewy like this, so next time I'll try thicker chunks at a lower temp.
It tastes much better in the bigger chunks like I did there. The first time I made it with some cheap beef in thin strips and it came out pretty bad. I also think it tastes much better without the vinegar.
I used this recipe, but without the vinegar or pineapple and added Chicago steak seasoning and chili powder.

I haven't done much else with the dehydrator but my dad used to make some dried fruit things. Maybe I should try that.

otake

Just make sure it's actual Port, meaning fortified red wine from portugal. It's pricey.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jet, your pecan pie looks dark and caramelized and rustic and vunderful. i hate pecan pie that looks manufactured or anemic, but yours is on the right side of that fantastic fine line between "splendidly crystalline and charred" and "burnt."

it looks perfect.

HiResDes

There are far too many amazing cooks and highly cultivated individuals on this forum, like it's almost freaky and it makes me feel like a bag of shit sometimes :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ghetto Duck Sous Vide
IMG_4849.jpg

Based off of the recipe here: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/01/stovetop-sous-vide-episode-1-best-duck.html

I think it turned out pretty well. I had frozen my duck breasts into little lumps, so the crisping was uneven. Then I accidentally cooked the duck while defrosting. And I forgot to suck the air out of ziplock bag, so I needed something to weigh it down. I have one more duck breast left and I'll try it again tomorrow with some rice and vegetables.

It's very tender and juicy and so easy too! (unless you had to cut your own duck like I did)

otake

HiResDes said:
There are far too many amazing cooks and highly cultivated individuals on this forum, like it's almost freaky and it makes me feel like a bag of shit sometimes :lol

It's just a very diverse group of members. In this thread you've got a mix of europeans, californians, asians and hispanics. Some are professional cooks, others, like me, just like to cook. What may seem like a complicated dish to you could be an everyday meal for someone else. That said, beef wellington is no one's everyday meal.

jet1911

Cosmic Bus said:
Which school do you go to, jet?

It's called Ecole Hôtellière de la Capitale. It's a culinary school in Quebec City.

MrBig said:
This looks very interesting. Recipe?

It's surprisingly(?) easy to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_king_cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2PQ1RxcCv8

The "paste" in the middle is called frangipane (almond powder (100gr) + eggs (2) + sugar (100gr) + butter (75gr) iirc) and the dough is puff pastry. It's really good. :D

ElectricThunder said:
2 thumbs WAY up man---those cookies look super chewy and I'd certainly like the details on what ye wrought on thy Naan Pizza. :D

Thanks! I can post the receipe if someone wants it. And the pizza was a simple peperoni and cheese pizza with dried oregano and cracked pepper on the cheese(gouda).

Alucrid

Banned
jet1911 said:
It's called Ecole Hôtellière de la Capitale. It's a culinary school in Quebec City.

It's surprisingly(?) easy to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_king_cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2PQ1RxcCv8

The "paste" in the middle is called frangipane (almond powder (100gr) + eggs (2) + sugar (100gr) + butter (75gr) iirc) and the dough is puff pastry. It's really good. :D

Thanks! I can post the receipe if someone wants it. And the pizza was a simple peperoni and cheese pizza with dried oregano and cracked pepper on the cheese(gouda).

Do you just slather it all on there and toss it in the oven?

Zyzyxxz

Halycon said:
Ghetto Duck Sous Vide
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/FluBlog/IMG_4849.jpg[IMG]
Based off of the recipe here: [url]http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/01/stovetop-sous-vide-episode-1-best-duck.html[/url]

I think it turned out pretty well. I had frozen my duck breasts into little lumps, so the crisping was uneven. Then I accidentally cooked the duck while defrosting. And I forgot to suck the air out of ziplock bag, so I needed something to weigh it down. I have one more duck breast left and I'll try it again tomorrow with some rice and vegetables.

It's very tender and juicy and so easy too! (unless you had to cut your own duck like I did)[/QUOTE]

Glad to see more people get on the sous vide thing.

I've stopped my crazy experiments for now but from time to time I use it when I need to cook several things for dinner and don't have the time to baby sit individual dishes. Last week I sealed 5 pork chops in a bag and immersed them in a water bath @ 133F. When they were done I seared them quickly in a very hot cast iron with a quick mango chutney and onion sauce I prepared right before. It really frees up my time to work on other dishes while the pork is coming up to temperature in the water bath because the only real cooking time I need for it is the one minute to sear them all. Sometimes I will use a blowtorch too if I remember and my proteins may not even touch a pan.

Natetan

Cosmic Bus said:

Oh nice, my office has dried apple and cantaloupe in the hunk shapes like you linked it's really good. Dried apple pieces instead of the chips you always see are really good.

Also, fish (salmon, whatever) jerky is really good too.

I went to this really nice gallete resturant yesterday. I got one with tomatoes, spinach, artichokes. Man they are so good. These were made perfectly. I'd love to buy a crepe plate and learn how to make these.

http://www.le-bretagne.com/e/top.html

CrankyJay

Banned
Last night was attempt #4 at braised beef shortribs. This time I served them over grits. One of my favorite dishes.

I'm tempted to try out Alton Brown's coq au vin recipe.

Zyzyxxz said:
how rare would you eat lamb?

Depends on the thickness as well, its its more than an inch I would do a quick sear and pop em in the oven @ 400F for 5-8 minutes for a medium rare.

If its tin then sear it well on a pan but no oven.

Either way let it rest 5-10 minutes.

I like mine to be Medium, and should have gone with the oven route. Next time will have to do that.

This time I just did the Pan, but parts of it were too pink and rare for my taste. I did like the seasoning/marinade I use though:

Mjl6T.jpg

Garlic
Chopped Rosemary
Homemade Garlic-Red Chili Paste
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Salt
Paprika
Pepper

MrBig

Oh gosh I just ate the best sammich ever imagined.
Amish swiss cheese melted on chicken cooked in General Tsao sauce with Italian seasonings on left over one day old toasted cuban bread.

CRS

Someone posted a similar burger earlier in the thread and I've been wanting to make one ever since.

Bacon, Egg, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions, and provolone cheese on an asiago bun.

jet1911

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Someone posted a similar burger earlier in the thread and I've been wanting to make one ever since.

Bacon, Egg, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions, and provolone cheese on an asiago bun.

homerdrool.jpg

Looks so good. :eek:

Blueberries, blackberries, cranberries pie

nyAKx.jpg

38XRi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom