• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

MelloBoy said:
How did the chuck steak turn out? I've found that using oil/butter as a "marinade" of sorts seems to pull the flavor out of the meat itself...ie. fat soluble tastes end up in the butter rather than remaining in the meat itself. I end up with highly aromatic butter mixed with a little bit of the meat juices, but the meat I've found tastes a little more bland.

Looks great, though :)

To be honest I didn't notice too much loss in flavor, also I only immersed it at 120F so it wasn't all that hot, it was more of a way to let it get even more tender. Also that is the beauty of cooking chuck steak sous vide.

Because it is a tough cut its often braised, therefore the flavor will leech into the braising liquid, makes for great stews but the mat becomes flavorless and just takes on the flavor of the braising liquid. With sous vide there is minimal loss of flavor because we are cooking it for long periods at low temperatures and we are using minimal cooking liquid, thus the meat will only cook in its own juices. The chuck steak I cooked (remember this is American style wagyu the difference in marbling can be night and day) was ultra tender but had that great flavor you get from chuck.

ShinAmano

Been a while since i had any pics up...anyhow here is a 14lb Boston Butt and the resulting BBQ that I pulled 13 hours after putting it on the grill:
34788_1841772447911_1348585047_2102286_8154321_n.jpg

167652_1843317806544_1348585047_2104149_6028161_n.jpg

It was/is delicious...I have about 2-3lbs left after the weekend.

Edit - Here is the Rub/Recipe for those interested.
* 2 Tbs. kosher salt
* 2 Tbs. sugar
* 2 Tbs. brown sugar
* 2 Tbs. ground cumin seed
* 2 Tbs. chili powder
* 2 Tbs. cracked black pepper
* 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
* 4 Tbs. Hungarian paprika
* 2 Tbs. ground sage
After the rub I just slow cooked on my grill at 220 until it was done. Simple. The rub give a nice spicy bark that people seem to love.

I made peanut butter and banana granola for the rest of the week. I usually have a cup of granola and soy milk for breakfast and just finished the last batch last week, so I needed to prepare for next week.

5361093293_e28d4f6d8f.jpg

recipe

ShinAmano said:
Been a while since i had any pics up...anyhow here is a 14lb Boston Butt and the resulting BBQ that I pulled 13 hours after putting it on the grill:
34788_1841772447911_1348585047_2102286_8154321_n.jpg

167652_1843317806544_1348585047_2104149_6028161_n.jpg

It was/is delicious...I have about 2-3lbs left after the weekend.

Edit - Here is the Rub/Recipe for those interested.
* 2 Tbs. kosher salt
* 2 Tbs. sugar
* 2 Tbs. brown sugar
* 2 Tbs. ground cumin seed
* 2 Tbs. chili powder
* 2 Tbs. cracked black pepper
* 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
* 4 Tbs. Hungarian paprika
* 2 Tbs. ground sage
After the rub I just slow cooked on my grill at 220 until it was done. Simple. The rub give a nice spicy bark that people seem to love.

:drool That sounds so good! It's like carnitas but GRILLED. Still working on my slow grilling skills, this definitely makes me want to get better. :9

Zero Hero

My wife and I made our favorite bean salad last night:
m79sm.jpg

1 green pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1 can corn
1 can great northern beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can pink beans
1 block of cheese( in this case we used sharp cheddar, but we usually use pepper jack)
salt
pepper
a little garlic powder
Paul Newman's Balsamic vinaigrette

Maiar_m

This week my mom's made Bottereaux (basically, they are a genre of donuts I guess)

As always, click for details. Although there is a trap, this week.

dakster

Neo Member
anybody have some tasty low carb dishes with recipes?.

The wife has just started on a really low carb diet and i'm struggling with ideas. It's amazing when you start tossing things out like pasta, potatoes, rice and a bunch of vegetables how little dishes you're left with.

dakster said:

The wife has just started on a really low carb diet and i'm struggling with ideas. It's amazing when you start tossing things out like pasta, potatoes, rice and a bunch of vegetables how little dishes you're left with.

I think its hard to get fancy.

But you can always look at protein - Eggs, Steak, Chicken, Pork. The hard part is figuring out what you can eat with that.

Steak topped with a fried egg was one of my favorites, throw in a strip of bacon.

jet1911

Maron said:
What kind of sushi is that? It looks good!

It was

nitro-200.png

Nitro salmon, jalapeno, red onions, chiso, fried onions, mozzarella, mât sauce, pressed rice

winnie-200.png

Winnie salmon tartar, apple, mango, shallot, cream cheese, in a tempura-coco crust and honey covered, served with taxi sauce

saut-perilleux-200.png

Saut périlleux trout, avocado, shallot, cilantro, ginger, in a spicy tempura crust, served with taxi sauce

atkins-200.png

Atkins smoked salmon, asparagus, sour cream and chives, red onions, reversed with fresh salmon and dill

A bit pricey but still worth it. :p

Cereal KiIIer said:

That's what I'm making for dinner tonight! I put them in the oven 110 minutes ago.

I do like them to have some bite too, but the other folks in the house (old people) like the meat to fall off the bone, so I'm using 300F vice 250F. Although I don't have the patience to do 4-5 coats. I usually only do 2 and use plenty of sauce on the side for dipping.

The oven technique is so easy, it's how I do ribs 90% of the time, even when it's not cold out.

I'm serving them with corn bread, mashed potatoes, and glazed carrots.

Fritz

Hey everybody,

I'm in need of some ideas. It's my birthday tomorrow and I have invited some friends for dinner. As the main dish there will be traditional German smoked roast pork in puff pastry ("Kassler in Blätterteig"). I'll make a green salad with cranberries and caramelised walnuts with an orange-based vinaigrette to go along. But I have no clue what a good side dish would be. It seems like nothing fits the roast because of the puff pastry. I don't even know if the salad will go well. Initially I was going to make some chestnut mash but everyone is telling me that would be too sweet.

Any help would be much appreciated and rewarded with pics of the then prepared menu of course!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Fritz said:
Hey everybody,

I'm in need of some ideas. It's my birthday tomorrow and I have invited some friends for dinner. As the main dish there will be traditional German smoked roast pork in puff pastry ("Kassler in Blätterteig"). I'll make a green salad with cranberries and caramelised walnuts with an orange-based vinaigrette to go along. But I have no clue what a good side dish would be. It seems like nothing fits the roast because of the puff pastry. I don't even know if the salad will go well. Initially I was going to make some chestnut mash but everyone is telling me that would be too sweet.

Any help would be much appreciated and rewarded with pics of the then prepared menu of course!
A potato gratin/casserole would be a good side dish. Make sure it is prepared rather moist. Instead of the salad, you could go with mixed mushrooms or sauteed carrots. Kassler in puff pastry is a rather "dry" dish, so the sides should provide a bit of gravy/sauce.

ShinAmano

Cereal KiIIer said:
Get on your knees everyone.
[/url]
Nice, I was planning on making a couple racks this weekend. I may try this recipe...I will have pics. I just need to figure out what sides I want to serve with them. Did not notice that was oven only...I will be doing mine on the grill...it will only be just below freezing with possible sleet on Saturday...no reason to shy away from the grill.

Edit...
I'm serving them with corn bread, mashed potatoes, and glazed carrots.
That should do.

Axion22

I hit up the "what did you have for dinner" thread before coming here.

Smokin' Chipotle Pork Stew

tumblr_lfb5om18qb1qdia8mo1_500.jpg

Crazy good. The whole apartment smelled great all night.

It might be low-carb, too. I'm not sure what all is in the adobo sauce the peppers were in, probably some sugars in there.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Axion22 said:
I hit up the "what did you have for dinner" thread before coming here.

Smokin' Chipotle Pork Stew

tumblr_lfb5om18qb1qdia8mo1_500.jpg

Crazy good. The whole apartment smelled great all night.

It might be low-carb, too. I'm not sure what all is in the adobo sauce the peppers were in, probably some sugars in there.

Will have to try once my le creuset gets here!

MrBig

magnificent83 said:
I'm not a big fan of bbq sauce, is there any way to do this without using bbq sauce and getting a good Memphis style ribs goings?
I know this is this is nothing like what you are asking but I enjoy ribs in General Tsao sauce

cartoon_soldier said:
Ok, for pan sauces, how much red wine should I be adding?
I generally use about 1/2 cup for one steak cooked in a 12 inch skillet, maybe a little more. Enough so that covers basically all of the pan to a shallow depth and so that you can easily work the fond back into before it reduces much. I also always finish with a good-sized pat of butter, and sometimes add other voluminous things like mustard.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I made burgers last night. I seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and rosemary. I used onion hamburger buns and I also sauted onions with extra virgin olive oil and sugar. The resulting burgers were delicious. Served with asparagus and a red 2009 california zinfandel.

No pics, sadly.

For dessert we had, hagen das vanilla ice cream with lemon poppy cake and graham crackers. Oh and coffee, verona blend from starbucks.

dakster said:

Broccoli and asparagus. Lots of it. I did the south beach diet and it was mostly a meat (chicken, pork, beef or fish, anything so long as it's low fat) with broccoli and asparagus. I did this for 6-8 weeks.

Stalfos

electristan said:
On a side note, whenever i do eggplant it turns out a bit chewy. Any tips for an eggplant newbie?
My first thought would be that it wasn't cooked long enough. Eggplant should get nice and soft once you cook it down. Though there could be something else going on, I only occasionally cook with eggplant.

Zyzyxxz

electristan said:
On a side note, whenever i do eggplant it turns out a bit chewy. Any tips for an eggplant newbie?

Asian methods are to soak in water for something like 30 minutes to an hour and drain it, then pat it dry and either blanch in a deep fry it for a few seconds or just cook it in a pan with plenty of oil (eggplant soaks alot of oil and needs plenty of it to cook)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SUCCESS.

IMG_4887.jpg

Ma po tofu is by far one of my favorite foods, and it's hard to get any up here in Rochester. I tried it once before but it didn't turn out very well. To be fair, I was relying too much on Lee Kum Kee's Spicy Bean Paste (which sucks, but it's the best I had available). This weekend I managed to get my hands on some Sambal Oelek. After trying it on some simple baked potatoes with butter, I decided to take another shot at the Ma Po tofu. And it turned out great! Although I don't know why all the recipes call for regular or firm tofu. The kind I usually have at restaurants are either soft or sometimes even silken and the texture is much better (and it looks shiny).

I didn't have any corn starch on hand, but I prefer my Ma Po sauces to be watery, almost soupy. It makes it easier to drizzle the drippings over rice for some quick flavor.

The only thing it was missing was Sichuan/Szechuan peppercorns! No other spice I know of comes close to that wonderful tongue numbing sensation of a ma la sauce. So, I ordered a batch from Amazon and it's on its way. Going to try this again next week with proper ingredients.

(Also soy oil sucks crap, I should buy a gallon of canola)

Natetan

oh, mabo dofu. nice! I like making that. And yes szechuan pepper is nice spice. I use it in a lot of stuff.

I made mabo eggplant earlier this week, and whiile it was good it wasn't resturant quality.

The last year or so I've really fallen in love with turnips. why do kids not like them? I guess i never ate them as a kid, but never gave them a chance probably because of the stigma.

I like making them pot au feu style. just cook them a long time in some stock. i usually cut them in quarters, and leave about an 3-4cm of the green stalk on them. so tasty.

i can think of a lot of vegetables that i didnt like as a kid that i like now. brussel sprouts are so good if you hash them. Fresh beets are really good if you jullienne them.

Anyone else like a certain food now that they weren't a fan of earlier? did a certain recipe trrigger your new fondness for that food?

Zyzyxxz

Axion22 said:

Man the boss is making this such a big deal. Oh well at least we are notorious now in the history of food trucks.

Halycon said:
SUCCESS.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/FluBlog/IMG_4887.jpg[IMG]

Ma po tofu is by far one of my favorite foods, and it's hard to get any up here in Rochester. I tried it once before but it didn't turn out very well. To be fair, I was relying too much on Lee Kum Kee's Spicy Bean Paste (which sucks, but it's the best I had available). This weekend I managed to get my hands on some Sambal Oelek. After trying it on some simple baked potatoes with butter, I decided to take another shot at the Ma Po tofu. And it turned out great! Although I don't know why all the recipes call for regular or firm tofu. The kind I usually have at restaurants are either soft or sometimes even silken and the texture is much better (and it looks shiny).

I didn't have any corn starch on hand, but I prefer my Ma Po sauces to be watery, almost soupy. It makes it easier to drizzle the drippings over rice for some quick flavor.

The only thing it was missing was Sichuan/Szechuan peppercorns! No other spice I know of comes close to that wonderful tongue numbing sensation of a ma la sauce. So, I ordered a batch from Amazon and it's on its way. Going to try this again next week with proper ingredients.

(Also soy oil sucks crap, I should buy a gallon of canola)[/QUOTE]

I love mapo tofu and I've been working on different methods for the best. In my opinion the key to great mapo tofu is that you need to cook the meat sauce seperately from the tofu. I try to cook mine down like a chili until its very tender and sloppy like a... sloppy joe I guess. I tend to use sambal olek (chili garlic paste), a little sririacha, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, a wee bit of sake, chili oil, a few red dried chilis, and cook it down with chicken stock or some sort of stock and replenishing it as it cooks off until I get the consistency I want.

One thing I plan on doing is marinating the tofu so that the tofu has flavor too without having to cook too long in the meat sauce. I'll get pictures of my process, maybe a video sometime.

Xelinis

Halycon said:
Ma po tofu is by far one of my favorite foods, and it's hard to get any up here in Rochester.

Wait a second. Taking a nearly total shot in the dark here but I recognize those counters and that stove. Halycon, do you go to RIT?

Darkatomz

Xelinis said:
Wait a second. Taking a nearly total shot in the dark here but I recognize those counters and that stove. Halycon, do you go to RIT?
He does. There's a few of us on here that I've spotted. Looks like a UC stove to me.

Edit: Beaten...

D-Pad

All of this looks delicious.

I had delivery pizza tonight. :( Next week will be different.

Anybody have any breakfast recipes to share? Every time I glance in here I see lots of non-breakfast stuff. Omelets, pancakes, crepes, scrambles, smoothies, sandwhiches, muffins, cereals (I saw a peanut butter granola but I'm not sure whether that was on one of the posted sites or in this thread), wraps...

Anyone got any ideas for "lite" dishes (not just breakfast)? Salads, snacks, etc. There was this dish I had at Macaroni Grille -- Orzo with spinach and radicchio in some kind of light buttery, lemony, garlic sauce. I think I'd like to try making that with that maple pork loin a few posts back for Sunday dinner.

Also my family is in love with Kool-aid with their meals, but I was wondering if anyone had any home-made concoctions they'd like to share -- preferably non-acoholic?

MrBig

My favorite breakfast is an egg sandwich. Fried egg on fried bread with fried bacon and cream cheese. Not exactly healthy but it doesn't matter because it tastes amazing.

Alucrid

Banned
MrBig said:
My favorite breakfast is an egg sandwich. Fried egg on fried bread with fried bacon and cream cheese. Not exactly healthy but it doesn't matter because it tastes amazing.

I do that minus the egg. Plain bagel, oven cooked bacon, creme cheese. Godly.

Found some Prosciutto IronGAF----how fares it/experiences with it? It is my understanding that it can be eaten straight out of a well refrigerated pack or cooked/heated up, right? How much of a difference does that make?

Stalfos said:
My first thought would be that it wasn't cooked long enough. Eggplant should get nice and soft once you cook it down. Though there could be something else going on, I only occasionally cook with eggplant.

Zyzyxxz said:
Asian methods are to soak in water for something like 30 minutes to an hour and drain it, then pat it dry and either blanch in a deep fry it for a few seconds or just cook it in a pan with plenty of oil (eggplant soaks alot of oil and needs plenty of it to cook)

Thanks! will give both at go

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
To everyone asking:

Yes I go to RIT and that is indeed a UC stovetop. I'm would be surprised by how many gaffers apparently go to/went to RIT but I'm really not!
I love mapo tofu and I've been working on different methods for the best. In my opinion the key to great mapo tofu is that you need to cook the meat sauce seperately from the tofu.
That's exactly what I did! I left the tofu in a pot of simmering water while I sauteed the meat and the sauce. I do agree the tofu seems a bit less flavorful (although I felt like my 1 chunks were too big) but I have no idea how you're supposed to marinate tofu. It comes with all that weird smelling water right out of the package and I don't want that in my sauce :x

Question for IronGAF:
I have a Kyocera knife that was a gift to my parents (they don't use it so I swiped it when I got a housing assignment with a kitchen). Sadly I haven't been taking good care of it and using it for everything, so the edge is very dull. I can slide my finger across it and it won't even leave a mark.

Should I invest in a grinder (Kyocera sells one but it's like $60) or just buy a new knife? My current one ceramic, and they need their own special grinding thing with diamonds. A metal knife seems like it would be easier to take care of in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom