• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Feel spendy today. I bought a tiny block of chutoro tuna to sear and some Australian wagyu short ribs for a surf and turf lunch today. Pics to come.

otake said:
I'm traveling to Burbank CA next week and Washington DC in march as well, any restaurant recommendations are welcome.
Osteria Mozza has quickly become a favorite of mine and my fiance. They are a bit pricey but you get an amazing meal. I wholeheartedly recommend raiding the mozzarella bar. The burrata and mole salami panini is unbelievable. You will need a reservation so make the call soon if you decide to go. Osteria Mozza is near Hollywood on the corner Melrose and Highland which is pretty close to Burbank. (google says roughly 25 minutes from the Burbank airport)
http://www.osteriamozza.com/LA/home.cfm

Another restaurant we enjoy is M Grill in Korea Town. It's a Churrascaria which is a Brazillian steakhouse. People swear by Fogo De Chou but this place is better and far cheaper. $30 gets you all you can eat steak and chicken served to you on swords and a sides bar.
http://m-grill.com/

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
cjelly said:
Thank you for this, these came out really great. I replace the walnuts with chunks of Green & Black's 85% so they are really dark and chocolatey. :)

Picture doesn't convey it, but they are really gooey in the centre. Nice and almost crisp on the outer, but when you get it in your mouth, it's almost like cake mix... delicious. :)

Glad to hear you got nice results! Mine were about the same (I had almonds handy, so those were substituted for the walnuts) and I even made a thin tart shell using some of the leftover batter. Just like the magazine cover said, I did end up eating the whole pan of brownies myself. :(

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
I also felt spendy today and preordered this:
http://modernistcuisine.com/

looking forward to your wagyu results.

"I am not worthy!"
dgar.jpg

I've been eyeing that book for a while.

$400 is a bit spendy for what it is but I'm hoping they will sell the volumes individually so I can acquire them as I read them.

gimmmick

otake said:
I visit Vegas once a year in April. While I would love to visit that restaurant, it does seem pricey. Last time I visited I went to a steakhouse in NewYork NewYork. It was expensive, the steak was ok and the wine was mediocre. I have not had a good culinary experience in Vegas, care to do some affordable recommendations?

I'm traveling to Burbank CA next week and Washington DC in march as well, any restaurant recommendations are welcome.

Craftsteak is probably the best restaurant for the money you spend on a steak house. Almost everyone that has ever eaten there say it is some of the best meals they have ever had. It's pricey, but the quality of food you get is unbelievable .

Bouchon is a personally favorite of mine. I have eaten there 2 times, and both have been amazing.

Vitner grill. Strip quality, off the strip price. It's located in summerlin, and a lot of the locals love going there.

Raos is one of my favorite restaurant in Vegas. Great dinning experience with good food. Might be a little pricey compared to your mom and pop joints, but it's great that the strip has a restaurant like this.

Scarpetta is one of the better Italian joints in Vegas. I used to work for the executive chef and the guy knows his shit. Fresh pasta made every day, and the food is good.

Yardhouse. The best bar food I have ever had in my life. We go there just for the food majority of the time, even with the 160+ beers on draft.

Messa Grill. Don't let Bobby Flay's name fool you. This restaurant is damn good.

Earl of Sandwiches. The best value you will get on the strip hands down. Really good sandwiches, that is open 24/7 if I'm mistaken. It's not even expensive when compared to other sandwich shops as well.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
"I am not worthy!"
dgar.jpg

I've been eyeing that book for a while.

$400 is a bit spendy for what it is but I'm hoping they will sell the volumes individually so I can acquire them as I read them.
Hey, you already are the professional, so why bother with some expensive book? ;)

How did the Wagyu turn out?

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Hey, you already are the professional, so why bother with some expensive book? ;)

How did the Wagyu turn out?
Hah i may be a cook but nowherr near a chef yet.

It was ok, the marbling was not that intense as American wagyu and the texture was not as close. I'd still want to try the real Japanese stuff some day though.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Meeru said:
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85/gihan84/2011-02-24181621.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab85/gihan84/2011-02-24183337.jpg[IMG]

Sirloin steak sou vide in a beer cooler. Sauce was some korean steak sauce with portabella mushrooms and onions[/QUOTE]

How well did the beer cooler work? Ive seen a couple articles on the internet talking about using one, but I would just worry about the temp dropping too low. What temp water did you use? I would imagine you have to start off with warmer water than you actually need because of teh temp drop when you put the meat in it.

Meeru

Banned
Datwheezy said:
How well did the beer cooler work? Ive seen a couple articles on the internet talking about using one, but I would just worry about the temp dropping too low. What temp water did you use? I would imagine you have to start off with warmer water than you actually need because of teh temp drop when you put the meat in it.
Isay it worked pretty darn well. Temperature was like 139 f before I put it in. Thing was so easy. Steak was awesome

Out to a random new place tomorrow night to eat something and watch a UFC match for the first time in a great while, so I bumped it all to tonight:

WTMWD.jpg

Cheese: Sartori Reserve BellaVitano Raspberry Ale (The mini-series of my weird cheeses from the End of BJ's kicks off)
Crumble: Riceworks Parmesan & Sundried Tomatoes
Newcomer extra sauce: Annie's Naturals Spicy Chipotle BBQ

Cheese was surprising a stubborn melter, though it seems like it would've done better on a longer cook time along the lines of a full on pizza---uncannily sweet and somehow "light" in taste/texture while being nice. Crumble was nice and the Chipotle sauce was quite nice---enough so that my mom now wants me to grab another bottle when next we find one "just in case". Certainly a kick to that sauce, but I'd frankly be suspicious if there wasn't.

All in all, a tasty meal well and truly situated.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
dyonPT said:
Chocolate Vaul-au-vent

:)

Looks great! God, I love puff pastry. The olive and caramelized onion feuilletés we made in one of my baking classes was among the best things I've ever eaten.

Zyzyxxz

went to Providence on Melrose the other night for the full tasting menu and I was very impressed by the quality of the meal, once the pics are edited they will be shared

happyscrappypup

Neo Member
Meeru said:
Sirloin steak sou vide in a beer cooler. Sauce was some korean steak sauce with portabella mushrooms and onions

Oh my god. That looks amazing. I just ate a bunch of homemade mac and cheese and this makes me want to eat a whole other meal.

rykomatsu

Felt a little sick so made something easy to make...Thomas Keller's rendition of a grilled cheese sandwhich. Used a little duckfat in lieu of butter...made me feel even more sick from all the oil from the cheese and duckfat, but man did it taste good.

OnkelC said:
I also felt spendy today and preordered this:
http://modernistcuisine.com/

looking forward to your wagyu results.

Preordered it myself as well :) I'm really excited about this, but Myrvhold said that there'd be a shortage for a while...printers got delayed so only 500 copies are available (with preorders sitting at 2700+)...first print run is also only 6000 copies :/ He said in his blog about 1000 copies every other week will arrive so recent orders may take a while to fulfill..

Have my sous vide controller and sonicator ready. I'm thinking of trying to put together a DIY chamber vacuum sealer somehow now...

Zyzyxxz said:

There was a groupon deal a few weeks back that was $10 for a $20 certificate. I used a loophole and ordered for $250 out of pocket :p (bought a book set in stock at a similar pricepoint, returned...man the store wasn't happy...then got an actual gift cert back with no restrictions). I could have had for $10 out of pocket as groupon refunded the excess certificates I bought, but couldn't bring myself to take the money when the certs had already been used...

UrokeJoe

rykomatsu said:
There was a groupon deal a few weeks back that was $10 for a $20 certificate. I used a loophole and ordered for $250 out of pocket :p (bought a book set in stock at a similar pricepoint, returned...man the store wasn't happy...then got an actual gift cert back with no restrictions). I could have had for $10 out of pocket as groupon refunded the excess certificates I bought, but couldn't bring myself to take the money when the certs had already been used...

Daily deals platform Groupon generated $760 million in sales in 2010, 23 times the $33 million it generated in 2009, an internal memo sent out by Groupon CEO Andrew Mason in early January reveals.

http://mashable.com/2011/02/25/groupon-760-million/

Fuck if they aren't okay,
chirp..

eznark

Banned
My wife, who is generally a fine cook, attempted fried chicken last night.

Batter was burned, chicken was uncooked. Now I know enough to tell her that the oil was clearly too hot. But what other tips do you guys have for pan frying?

reKMS.jpg

Stalfos

I haven't really cooked fried chicken before but on first glance it also looks like there wasn't enough oil in the pan. From what I've seen usually you want to oil to submerge the chicken at least halfway, that way you only have to flip it over instead of trying to turn it to all sides.

Zyzyxxz

eznark said:

Batter was burned, chicken was uncooked. Now I know enough to tell her that the oil was clearly too hot. But what other tips do you guys have for pan frying?

http://i.imgur.com/reKMS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is that a nonstick pan? You would want to use something more like a stainless steel pot or even better a cast iron pan/pot.

Oil temp should be between 325-350. If you find your chicken batter to fry too quickly then pop them in the oven at 350 until they are fully cooked.

luoapp

Pan doesn't hold enough oil, thus temperature control is difficult. It is much better to do searing instead of frying. If you really want, debone the leg, which is easy, cut into small pieces, fry in a KFC's "popcorn chicken" kind of way with at least 3/4 inch of oil.

Help please...

I recently bought a new condo that came with its appliances. I wish I could have upgraded them there but I couldn't, and I felt they would be decent enough...

Anyway, I have a frigidaire range with a ceramic top surface, and I don't think it gets hot enough, or something...

Some time ago I made pasta and noticed the water just wouldn't maintain a boil and took forever to come to a boil. As a result the pasta came out somewhat gummy and I was not satisfied. It was tolerable, but should have been better.

The pot is stainless steel, and I figured the conductivity was insufficient for boiling such large amounts of water.

So I went and bought a new pasta pot, a Calphalon Stainless with an aluminum base. It tapers outward to the top, and was 130 bucks, not really a cheapy. It also is clearly meant expressly for pasta, as it came with a built in metal strainer with handles to pull the pasta out, as well as a smaller steamer insert.

So I ran a test with it and just boiled some water, but, same problem, it didn't seem capable of really showing an aggressive boil, which I want for pasta.

Smaller pots that I have that are low grade boil water, but just not the huge pots. I had the thing on high for a good half hour before I quit trying.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of the elements not being hot enough. Do I have to deal with it, or would it be worthwhile to invest in a solid aluminum or copper pot? Any other thoughts?

I've never had problems getting pasta cooking in a nice rolling boil on other stoves, and the stove is fine for cooking anything else. I would really prefer to not buy a new stove as that is a big investment and I don't really have the money right now, besides which my range is only a few months old.

Thanks for you help.

thespot84

I have a similar glass top range. A lot of them have sensors that try to control when the filament should be on/off to maintain a certain temp, or to turn off when something is lifted off the surface (I can't get mine to heat up without a pot on it.) To be honest it sounds like that sensor is broken, either it thinks there's no pot, or it's reading too high and turning of the element prematurely.

Did the range/appliances come with any kind of warranty? I'm sure a service person would have to look at it, but at any rate I don't think your pots are the problem.

thespot84 said:
I have a similar glass top range. A lot of them have sensors that try to control when the filament should be on/off to maintain a certain temp, or to turn off when something is lifted off the surface (I can't get mine to heat up without a pot on it.) To be honest it sounds like that sensor is broken, either it thinks there's no pot, or it's reading too high and turning of the element prematurely.

Did the range/appliances come with any kind of warranty? I'm sure a service person would have to look at it, but at any rate I don't think your pots are the problem.

It has a year warranty...

Unfortunately I've tried multiple elements, so I'm not sure it's a sensor problem. I could get it checked, I just don't know if that would be worthwhile.. Maybe I'll give the manufacturer a call and ask.

Zyzyxxz said:
Finally got around to updating my blog once again, after a half year hiatus due to work. Finally quitting my job though and looking for something more challenging. In the meantime I might as well do so blogging for once. This is my review for Providence in Los Angeles, 2 Michelin stars.

http://lestomac.tumblr.com/post/3570128564/providence

Good luck with the job hunt! I'm glad you got to try Providence. It's one of my favorite higher-end restaurants in LA. They've been solid each time I've gone. I want to take my parents there, but I don't want them to be horrified by the price. Maybe I'll get them a ladies' menu =/

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Good luck with the job hunt! I'm glad you got to try Providence. It's one of my favorite higher-end restaurants in LA. They've been solid each time I've gone. I want to take my parents there, but I don't want them to be horrified by the price. Maybe I'll get them a ladies' menu =/

I think the 5 course would be an alright amount of food especially for older Asian folks who tend to eat less. I'm hoping during June for their 6th anniversary they will offer the 5-course for $65 again like last year so I can take my parents too.

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:
went to Providence on Melrose the other night for the full tasting menu and I was very impressed by the quality of the meal, once the pics are edited they will be shared

ballin,

rykomatsu

eznark said:

reKMS.jpg
Sous vide cooking works wonders for stuff like this imho...could try the beer cooler method.
Fill ice chest with hot water, adjust temp, then dump in a ziplock bag containing the chicken with air squeezed out.
Cook at temp in the waterbath to desired finish.
Pat dry, coat with batter.
In a preheated skillet, fry until batter is lightly golden...skillet should be hot so that the batter cooks quickly but the chicken itself doesn't cook much further.

GAF, I must post my meat sauce recipe on here. It is amazing. When I do post it, you should make it. My only proof of its tastiness is that it is 80% of my diet.

PASTA FTW

I made kumquat jam a few nights ago from the fruit on my neighbor's trees. I don't know why it took me so long to finally try making jam. Other than cutting the kumquat part, it was a piece of cake! Even extracting the pectin myself was easy. The kumquats were really tart when I took a bite, but tasted fine in the jam. Not to sweet, but still citrusy.

The first thing I made from the jam (aside from eating it on english muffins with butter) was a hot toddy!

Perfect on a cold day.

rykomatsu

nakedsushi said:
I don't know why it took me so long to finally try making jam.

Food bourne illnesses? :p

Botulism scares me quite a bit....I thought for Jam, most people sterilize with boiling water, dump the jam in, and cap immediately, with the resulting cooling pulling a bit of a vacuum resulting in a slightly anaerobic environment...or does boiling kill the spores?

I've been interested in jam for a while, but that has honestly scared the shit out of me lol.

rykomatsu said:
Food bourne illnesses? :p

Botulism scares me quite a bit....I thought for Jam, most people sterilize with boiling water, dump the jam in, and cap immediately, with the resulting cooling pulling a bit of a vacuum resulting in a slightly anaerobic environment...or does boiling kill the spores?

I've been interested in jam for a while, but that has honestly scared the shit out of me lol.

I know your fears!

I have 2 great fears in my life: mold spores, and botulism, no joke. (Oh, and spiders). But get this. I totally did not sterilize the jar at all other than giving it a wash with detergent. Since I only made one batch and it's my "test batch" I figure the jam will go quite quickly. I also keep it in the fridge. If I were to make more, I *might* consider carefully canning it with boiling water and canning jars, but seriously, I think even then I'd be too scared to eat it after it's been sitting in the cupboard for more than a month.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hey, anybody have any good (simple) recommendations for what to do with stringbeans? My mom tends to over-buy them for some reason, and eating them simply boiled seasoned with a bit of salt doesn't do it for me.

Tinabina

djtiesto said:
Hey, anybody have any good (simple) recommendations for what to do with stringbeans? My mom tends to over-buy them for some reason, and eating them simply boiled seasoned with a bit of salt doesn't do it for me.
saute them with oil, garlic, a little soy sauce and some red pepper flakes if u like it hot
so yummy

Stalfos

djtiesto said:
Something I've recently done a couple of time is to saute them until they are almost cooked and then as you are finishing off the cooking add in some sweet chili sauce.

thespot84

djtiesto said:

the trick to saute string beans or french beans (the best way imo) is to do it in a pan large enough to accommodate all the beans so they're all in contact with the pan. This way they all saute instead of steam from the heat. When you do this, the beans will start to caramelize (get a bit brown and wrinkly). Add any accoutrement you like, I prefer shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, and almost slices or slivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom