• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalfos

Zyzyxxz said:
Woot, I am officially working at Rivera (los angeles) now! As long as I dont fuck up big in the next 30 days of my probation period. Hopefully the boss wins Top Chef Masters so our restaurant can gain even more attention now.
Congrats man! Looking at the review you posted, did the chef compete on Iron Chef? Those tortillas with the flowers look exactly like something I've seen someone make on that show?

Edit: Ah yeah he did, I just looked it up.

MrBig said:
Running low on my cornmeal for using on my pizza peel. I had bought a small bag of yellow cornmeal but it is way too strong. The white-old fashion cornmeal I have been using isn't as bad but I'm still looking for something that is less noticeable in taste. I don't really want to have any taste it at all. Recommendations?

Semolina flour is the way to go. A crazed Cajun on youtube has demonstrated this pretty well and it has worked well for me on my wheat dough pizzas when the cornmeal wasn't handy.

CrankyJay

Banned
WinoMcCougarstein said:
I made beef wellington for the first time tonight and I loved it! Will make it again someday.
photo1.jpg
photo-2.jpg

Fuck that looks good. I need to try this. Looks like you did a fantastic job with the beef.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Woot, I am officially working at Rivera (los angeles) now! As long as I dont fuck up big in the next 30 days of my probation period. Hopefully the boss wins Top Chef Masters so our restaurant can gain even more attention now.

Congrats. My dream is for you to open your restaurant and invite fellow GAFers to try it out. =)

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Zyzyxxz said:

Congrats!!

Talon

Zyzyxxz said:
That's incredible! Congratulations.

Zyzyxxz

Thanks everyone, theres a lot of pressure at work not to screw up but so far I haven't screwed up too bad.

Halycon said:
Best of luck Zyzyxxz!

Everyone in this thread would vouch for you :D

Unrelated note: Lamb Rack!
No recipe, I just dumped all my favorite herbs and spices on it (salt, pepper, rosemary, granule garlic, chopped onion, paprika, cumin). Tastes great, and sooooo tender. However I'm kind of iffy on cooking times and temperature for lamb racks. I browned all the sides in a skillet coated with olive oil, then it went into the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes it barely cooked at all. Of course this is the way I like it but most people I know prefer less blood in their meat. Should I leave it in longer for medium or raise the temperature?

(I didn't have my thermometer with me so I couldn't check without cutting it.)

350F for 20 minutes and its still that rare? Theres no way it can be, I would check your oven temp to see if it is right, otherwise try raising the temp to 400. Also I don't really check by time or thermometer because I'm too lazy, I go by touch. Best way to learn is after you cook a perfect one touch the exterior crust and see how it bounces back when u poke it, look for that same response when its in the oven next time.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I need help.

I have an anniversary dinner coming up. We're not married but will be soon. I don't plan on buying any gifts but I am planning to make a special dinner.

I'm thinking of making Lobster tails. I want to make them baked. Does anyone have any suggestions for the seasoning and or melted butter?

I also don't know what wine to serve with that...

If anyone has cooked lobster tail on the stove, please explain. I'd prefer to do that.

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:
Thanks everyone, theres a lot of pressure at work not to screw up but so far I haven't screwed up too bad.

350F for 20 minutes and its still that rare? Theres no way it can be, I would check your oven temp to see if it is right, otherwise try raising the temp to 400. Also I don't really check by time or thermometer because I'm too lazy, I go by touch. Best way to learn is after you cook a perfect one touch the exterior crust and see how it bounces back when u poke it, look for that same response when its in the oven next time.

you have successfully bypassed any need to waste $40-50k+ at culinary school. congrats man.

i did the same a while back and bailed out of cordon bleu when i observed grades being changed, etc. to pass students through.

otake said:
I need help.

I have an anniversary dinner coming up. We're not married but will be soon. I don't plan on buying any gifts but I am planning to make a special dinner.

I'm thinking of making Lobster tails. I want to make them baked. Does anyone have any suggestions for the seasoning and or melted butter?

I also don't know what wine to serve with that...

If anyone has cooked lobster tail on the stove, please explain. I'd prefer to do that.
I have boiled whole (live) lobster before. Ten minutes plus a minute (two minutes?) for every lb. And, until the antennae comes off with ease.

You can also season butter...melt it, integrate your herbs/spices (I recommend garlic and lemon with a bit of parsley, though that may not help the breath of the post-dinner celebration) and then let it re-solidify in your fridge. Infused butter! Boil your lobster in a few inches of water with a bay leaf.

As for broiling/baking, I'm not an expert.

I'm told a nice Chablis goes well with shellfish, though...

Zyzyxxz

hitsugi said:
you have successfully bypassed any need to waste $40-50k+ at culinary school. congrats man.

i did the same a while back and bailed out of cordon bleu when i observed grades being changed, etc. to pass students through.

yeah, as long as I keep this job for a year I have basically set my foot into the celebrity chef/famous restaurant circle on my resume. Cordon bleu is a joke of a school though, they just buy out all the local schools around the country and are now one of those degree mills.

Today was a pretty good day for me too, got a chance to try some jamon iberico. $38/lb and it was pretty damn sweet. Also I had to carry out the display iberico leg and I was nervous about dropping it, considering it was worth around $1000.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Zyzyxxz said:
yeah, as long as I keep this job for a year I have basically set my foot into the celebrity chef/famous restaurant circle on my resume. Cordon bleu is a joke of a school though, they just buy out all the local schools around the country and are now one of those degree mills.

Today was a pretty good day for me too, got a chance to try some jamon iberico. $38/lb and it was pretty damn sweet. Also I had to carry out the display iberico leg and I was nervous about dropping it, considering it was worth around $1000.

Congrats on the job!

Iberico ham is pretty damn good! Was it the Iberico de Bellota variety (which is the best)? Soooooo good!

A friend of mine got ahold of some Iberice pork cheek which he cooked confit and then roasted in the oven! Served with truffled mashed potatoes... Pretty damn incredibly tasty! :D

ApZnfl.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Keen said:
Congrats on the job!

Iberico ham is pretty damn good! Was it the Iberico de Bellota variety (which is the best)? Soooooo good!

A friend of mine got ahold of some Iberice pork cheek which he cooked confit and then roasted in the oven! Served with truffled mashed potatoes... Pretty damn incredibly tasty! :D

I dont think it was Bellota, since that is over $90 per pound? The stuff was had costs us $38 per pound.

Anybody have a good recipe for hamburger buns? Would something like Cosmic Bus's bread recipe work if I just adjusted the size and baking time, or would your usual hamburger rolls be much different ingredient-wise?

Not much of a baker at ALL (just a few loaves of no-knead, really), but I like the idea of starting from a sponge if that's appropriate.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
slidewinder said:
Anybody have a good recipe for hamburger buns? Would something like Cosmic Bus's bread recipe work if I just adjusted the size and baking time, or would your usual hamburger rolls be much different ingredient-wise?

Not much of a baker at ALL (just a few loaves of no-knead, really), but I like the idea of starting from a sponge if that's appropriate.

I made some wheat buns back in December that are going to be much better than trying to adapt that Italian bread recipe for sandwich buns. Here's the recipe I worked off of.

Zyzyxxz

Haven't done tonkatsu in a while so I decided to experiment with highly marbled pork cheek.

5515915921_95d7693f92_o.jpg

Came out nice and juicy but some parts were way too fatty, problem with pork cheek is that one side is usually beautifully marbled and the other side has a thick layer of fat on it.

Either way it was a filling lunch.

^-- wow! You take such effort to make lunch. Usually, when I make lunch, it's something stupid easy like kale salad with avocado and a fried egg.

I found some hedgehog mushrooms from the Mushroom Man at the farmer's market last weekend and made:
5516110763_302d7e43ec.jpg

farro risotto with hedgehog mushrooms, kale, and a side salad(by the BF).

I got a shout out in our local alternative weekly! My love of beef noodle soup is now famous.
http://www.laweekly.com/2011-03-10/eat-drink/lucky-noodle-king-many-spicy-returns/

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
^-- wow! You take such effort to make lunch. Usually, when I make lunch, it's something stupid easy like kale salad with avocado and a fried egg.

I found some hedgehog mushrooms from the Mushroom Man at the farmer's market last weekend and made:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5135/5516110763_302d7e43ec.jpg[img]
farro risotto with hedgehog mushrooms, kale, and a side salad(by the BF).

I got a shout out in our local alternative weekly! My love of beef noodle soup is now famous.
[url]http://www.laweekly.com/2011-03-10/eat-drink/lucky-noodle-king-many-spicy-returns/[/url][/QUOTE]

Well I work 5 days a week now at Rivera so when I do get a chance to be home alone I like to cook or experiment.

Your lunch looks good and healthy though, like we are on polar opposites, makes me feel bad about my eating habits.

BTW, are you saying you are friends with Jonathon Gold?!

Heh, I guess what I post here is pretty healthy stuff because I cook mostly vegetarian. But when I go out, it's a MEAT PARTY so don't feel so bad. I'm jealous at your ability to cook meat. I've only barely learned how to roast a chicken this year.

And yes, we are friends or you could say MEAT PARTY enablers.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Zyzyxxz said:
Haven't done tonkatsu in a while so I decided to experiment with highly marbled pork cheek.

5515915921_95d7693f92_o.jpg

Came out nice and juicy but some parts were way too fatty, problem with pork cheek is that one side is usually beautifully marbled and the other side has a thick layer of fat on it.

Either way it was a filling lunch.

Looks damn good! Mmmmm, pork fat! How can you have too much of it? :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drunk? Lazy? Hungry? Then why not try...

'Winning' Nachos or 'Wait a minute, these ain't nachos OH MY GOD THIS IS DELICIOUS!'

Consulting your handy Necronomicon, you will find the following ingredients required to conjure this beast.

- 3+ cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 2+ large chilies (unless you're weak-sauce)
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 bundle of spring onion / shallots
- Mix of rocket and baby spinach
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 small zucchini
- Corn chips (flavour of your choice)
- Mozzarella
- Pasta sauce (buy or make your own)
- Herbs

STEP 1: Take your garlic, onion, zucchini, eggplant, shallots, and chili and dice them up all good and proper. Due to the size of the dish, it is unlikely you will need very much

eggplant or zucchini, and probably wont use the whole things. Balance it out so everything looks relatively even. Chili level is up to you. For this I used one large habanero and one

large jalapeño. Pop it all in a pot like a crazy mother **** (or tub, or bowel, or whatever you want to store it in).

19tf7.jpg

STEP 2: Slice up some baby spinach and rocket all crazy like. Yeah, take that you stupid greens. Again, make sure it's about equal in quantity to everything else so it evens out.

Dump this stuff in with the rest of your goods, and give it all a good mix around.

2qq8r.jpg

STEP 3: Grab yourself some pasta sauce. Homemade is good, but bottled is fine. Try to go for a good quantity and something chunky. Stick it all in with your mix. Yeah baby, you

like that. Dice up some of those cherry tomatoes and throw those in. Full tomatoes are a fine alternative. Make sure everything is mixed pretty evenly.

3ms63.jpg

STEP 4: Time to layer like an ogre. Put down a layer of nachos, not too thick. Throw over some sauce. It will probably be a bit difficult, as the nachos will move around, but screw them! Do it anyway!

4srz8.jpg

STEP 5: Got that sauce down? Great. Now add a layer of ye 'ol motza. Sauce/cheese/nacho ratio is totally up to you. What you want to do though is layer it. You don't want it all 'traditional', with one layer of everything. What you want to do is stack, so; nachos, sauce, cheese, repeat. Based on the size of the dish, I managed to get three layers, and use up all the sauce, nachos, and most of the bag of cheese. Once done, herb up the very top cheesy layer with whatever herbs suit your fancy.

57p5d.jpg

STEP 6: Pre-heat your oven at one billion degrees. If you own a peasant oven, ~180 - 200 will do fine. Pop your layered nacho cheese delight in and cook until the top layer has browned to whatever you consider adequate.

photo0155fz2t.jpg

STEP 7: Serve, cum buckets. That's serve, and orgasm from how good it is. Not serve buckets of cum. That's gross.

698af.jpg

0wqoz.jpg

Rerun of last week with Garlic Parmesan Boulder Kettle Chips.

However, should anybody ever say you can't get a fine tasting pizza wrangled with some quality Tandoori Paste (Tiger Tiger was what I found and is the first I've ever had) they are indeed mistaken!

dyonPT

OuterWorldVoice said:
Please, please spell it "cookies." It will help it appear delicious. Instead of salty.

lol, sorry. English is not my main language ;) I would like to see you type in Portuguese! :D

Chris R

Risotto with some sausage.. so damn good. Risotto is pretty damn good by its self but with the sausage it goes to another level.

199530_10150448278745118_646865117_17509279_6623790_n.jpg

Homemade moon pies. Homemade marshmallow sandwiched between either graham crackers, homemade peanut butter cookies, homemade chocolate cookies, or homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. We have not gotten to the coating them in chocolate phase yet, but already it is a diabetic coma sandwich.

MrBig said:
THIS IS NO MATTER. CARRY ON.
I could barely eat half of the peanut butter ones. I cannot wait to see how crazy it gets after the chocolate. My wife made them so I could take them to Pi Day at work on Monday.

Everyone is bringing regular pies, like apple, or whatnot. I will win for being original dammit.

rykomatsu

Zyzyxxz said:
I dont think it was Bellota, since that is over $90 per pound? The stuff was had costs us $38 per pound.

Zyzyxxz, congrats on your new job. I'm sure you'll excel greatly there :)

On another completely unrelated note, what do you guys think of this deal...?

https://www.blendtec.com/sxsw

$250+s&h for a refurb blender...i've gone through a few el cheapo blenders in the past so I'm thinking maybe I should stop getting them as disposable items and plunking down cash for a good one...

Just tried one of the pies after the chocolate hardened. Christ, these things are sweet.

I have found my new secret weapon in the baked goods wars we have at work. My wife's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a fave, but this might ensure victory for all time.

Of course, many people are bringing in pies tomorrow for Pi Day.

hitsugi

Zyzyxxz said:

I agree on cordon bleu being a joke of a school.. however (in LA), the options are pretty pathetic all-around. I was fortunate enough to owe nothing for the time I spent there, and left upon getting my foot in bastide (about halfway through)

Zyzyxxz

hitsugi said:
I agree on cordon bleu being a joke of a school.. however (in LA), the options are pretty pathetic all-around. I was fortunate enough to owe nothing for the time I spent there, and left upon getting my foot in bastide (about halfway through)

nice, are you still at Bastide?

Flynn

Zyzyxxz said:

Awesome. I'm gonna convince my wife to go eat there.

PhoncipleBone said:
OH DEAR DELICIOUS MOONPIES[IMG]

Chocolate coating applied to moon pies. Now to just wait for them to temper and harden.

My coworkers wont know what hit them.[/QUOTE]

Please be my coworker, please be my coworker. Those look delicious. Those with a cold glass of milk and I could die happy.

Zyzyxxz

Been practicing my risotto, best way to make it taste great? Use homemade stick...

In this case frozen cubes of chicken stock I made two weeks back.
5528315487_22e8ca292b_b.jpg

The risotto was simply flavored with a mirepoix of sweated root vegetables, brown butter, olive oil, loads of parmesan cheese and topped with sausage and of course gotta have that fried egg.
5528903956_e9e801cb29_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Best way to great Risotto is lots of butter, a good white wine, good Parmesan or Grana Padano, keeping it cooking all the time and steady stirring.

Just got accepted to George Brown for Culinary Management!!!(Which is why I'm posting at 5 in the morning!)

Wish me some goddamn luck, many hard days are ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom