• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Bought a sack of raw peanuts for peanut butter.
Honey and brown sugar roasted.
IMG_7669.jpg

What a mess to clean that pan. Had to use HOT water and steel wool to clean it off. Next time they're just getting dry roasted and I'll add the sugar/honey into the blender.

IMG_7678.jpg

Had to use a spoon to mix it up while it was blending since I don't have a food processor.

IMG_7688.jpg

Taste is well worth it. :)

Anyone know of some good peanut butter desserts? I was going to make this

Maiar_m

Can't help you with the recipe, but congrats on the butter, it looks quite oily but also very very tasty. Sweet, but tasty.

MrBig

Ya, I used too much oil, since I didn't realize that it was all sinking to the bottom before I started stirring it.
Buckeyes look interesting

MrBig said:
Ya, I used too much oil, since I didn't realize that it was all sinking to the bottom before I started stirring it.
Buckeyes look interesting

Yeah they are very good, this recipe says to freeze the balls before you dip them. I never have, I usually just put them in the fridge.

thespot84

Since you mentioned cleaning, I can't recommend these things enough:

Magic Eraser (Mr. Clean is the name brand, available in all grocery stores i'd imagine). This thing will clean anything and the best part is that it does it mechanically: No Soap Required. I imagine it would have done wonders on the peanut pan.

Barkeepers Friend. Also magic, does wonders on my stainless steel pots.

Stalfos

MrBig said:
What a mess to clean that pan. Had to use HOT water and steel wool to clean it off. Next time they're just getting dry roasted and I'll add the sugar/honey into the blender.
Why not just use aluminum foil to line the pan instead? Easy clean up.

MrBig said:
Bet a nonstick baking mat would work wonders with your recipe:
414BAHHDDHL._SS500_.jpg

Used this winter baby back ribs recipe yesterday that was posted here earlier:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/01/you-want-your-baby-back-ribs-sure-just.html

They came out ok, but the times are for one rack, and I made 3, cut into 5 racks because I only had one pan long enough for a full rack. I think because I opened the oven way more often, the times should have been increased a bit more. Meat didn't pull clean from the bone as it did in the video.

I was pretty happy with the bbq sauce I improvised from whatever I had. Didn't measure, but here are the ingredients.

Tomato paste
Water
Vinegar
Hot Mustard Powder
Cocoa powder
Sriracha
Celery
Raw Sugar
Black Pepper
Celery seed
Cumin
Lime leaves, crushed

rykomatsu

Got a whole pekin duck...planning on rendering the fat, making sous-vide duck breast, and sous-vide duck leg confit through the week :) Wish me luck as I've never deboned poultry before lol.

Zyzyxxz

Talon- said:
They're both hot pot-style dishes.

Sukiyaki is a derivative of shabu shabu where its all one hot pot prepared for you and brought to you as one dish (the broth is also a soy and sake based broth) while shabu shabu is plain water and the ingredients are quite varied and you cook it as you eat in a more interactive experience.

MrBig

IMG_7690.jpg

Dipped them a little while ago. Can't wait to try em later tonight. Made double what I needed so I have plenty for myself. Only have enough of the peanut butter I made left for one sandwhich :(
I really need to slow down or I'm going to make myself fat :lol

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
Got a whole pekin duck...planning on rendering the fat, making sous-vide duck breast, and sous-vide duck leg confit through the week :) Wish me luck as I've never deboned poultry before lol.

its very easy, the hard part is trying to get as much meat off as possible off the bone. First time I did it I left so much meat on the bone, good for stock but it means you have less duck leg and breast meat.

bovo

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread, but figured if I was going to post again, this would be a suitable picture.

I decorated a cake (made by mrs bovo) for a smaller bovo.

Excuse mobile phone picture, and ignore dodgy sides where I didn't get any of the creases out of the white icing...

MrBig said:
IMG_7690.jpg

Dipped them a little while ago. Can't wait to try em later tonight. Made double what I needed so I have plenty for myself. Only have enough of the peanut butter I made left for one sandwhich :(
I really need to slow down or I'm going to make myself fat :lol

Look pretty good, I generally dip them up a bit more but those look mighty tasty. Tell us how it tasted with that peanut butter.

Talon

bovo said:
It's been a long time since I posted in this thread, but figured if I was going to post again, this would be a suitable picture.

I decorated a cake (made by mrs bovo) for a smaller bovo.

Excuse mobile phone picture, and ignore dodgy sides where I didn't get any of the creases out of the white icing...

That's a fantastic looking cake. Spoiling your kid with a Sonic cake!

And hopefully not letting him play any Sonic game released in the past 5 years.

So...a random digging around in a grocery store had me net my first pack/experience of Carob Chips. These things are...nifty!

What all has IronGAF folk done with the things as something very nearly Chocolate, yet not? These particular ones also make use of Beet Sugar instead of the usual suspects, so that's also a bit different. Are there delineations of Carob comparable to the Dark/Milk Chocolate ones out there?

It kinda blows my mind that 2 things can be so roughly similar and yet so very different in terms of the shake of it all---only other instance of this I've had in my time eating was a rather very similar taste I have for carrots and red beets, which everybody says I am crazy on and that they taste nothing alike at all...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hi Iron-Gaf.

I am getting ready to move and have a problem. I have been cooking on a gas stove my entire life. The house I am moving into does not have any natural gas options. I've priced a propane tank. The cost and home insurance increase does not warrant putting one in as an option to continue cooking with a superior flame stove.

I'm forced to go with electric. I am in the position to buy an electric stove in the 800 to 1200 usd price range. I am not happy about this but have to make the best of it. Now my following questions might be elementary, but remember that I've cooked with gas and have zero experience with electric.

Do I need any special pots and pans to make the most out of this situation or will my standard stainless steel and nonstick cookware do the job?

What should I watch out for? I've heard that setting pans in certain places on smooth top electric ranges can do damage.

Does anyone here prefer electric to gas? Why?

Thanks for the help. I hope I am overreacting and electric stoves have gotten better over the years.

Stalfos

RbBrdMan said:
Hi Iron-Gaf.

I am getting ready to move and have a problem. I have been cooking on a gas stove my entire life. The house I am moving into does not have any natural gas options. I've priced a propane tank. The cost and home insurance increase does not warrant putting one in as an option to continue cooking with a superior flame stove.

I'm forced to go with electric. I am in the position to buy an electric stove in the 800 to 1200 usd price range. I am not happy about this but have to make the best of it. Now my following questions might be elementary, but remember that I've cooked with gas and have zero experience with electric.

Do I need any special pots and pans to make the most out of this situation or will my standard stainless steel and nonstick cookware do the job?

What should I watch out for? I've heard that setting pans in certain places on smooth top electric ranges can do damage.

Does anyone here prefer electric to gas? Why?

Thanks for the help. I hope I am overreacting and electric stoves have gotten better over the years.
I've cooked on both electric and gas. I'd say I prefer gas but electric works fine as well.

What type of electric are you getting, one with exposed coils or a smooth glass top like you referenced? I've actually cooked on both. You don't have to worry about any special pots unless its an induction cooktop in which case you need to just make sure that what you own will be compatible.

In general what you should watch out for is that electric will probably take a bit longer to get up to temperature when turned on and when you want to remove something from the heat you will actually have to move the pan off of the burner since the coils take a little while to cool down after they are turned off. With the smooth tops you'll probably just want to take care not to scratch or crack them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Stalfos said:
I've cooked on both electric and gas. I'd say I prefer gas but electric works fine as well.

What type of electric are you getting, one with exposed coils or a smooth glass top like you referenced? I've actually cooked on both. You don't have to worry about any special pots unless its an induction cooktop in which case you need to just make sure that what you own will be compatible.

In general what you should watch out for is that electric will probably take a bit longer to get up to temperature when turned on and when you want to remove something from the heat you will actually have to move the pan off of the burner since the coils take a little while to cool down after they are turned off. With the smooth tops you'll probably just want to take care not to scratch or crack them.

Thanks for this info. I'm going to be going with a smooth glass top, it looks much sleeker IMO. So are you saying that I don't have to worry about pot placement on the smooth top and screwing up some electrical component?

Good point about the coils cooling down. That is certainly something I will have to learn to adjust to. As you know with gas you turn it down and the flame decreases immediately. Also, good to know that I shouldn't have to purchase new cookware. Though I admit after looking at induction cooking tops it does seem like pretty cool tech. But I don't think I want to go there as most are a little north of my price range.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Valentines day dinner went well.

1o5EBl.jpg

Everything but the wine was made from scratch. She made the coconut cake, I made everything else.

cnba8l.jpg

We had a good time.

Stalfos

RbBrdMan said:
Thanks for this info. I'm going to be going with a smooth glass top, it looks much sleeker IMO. So are you saying that I don't have to worry about pot placement on the smooth top and screwing up some electrical component?

Good point about the coils cooling down. That is certainly something I will have to learn to adjust to. As you know with gas you turn it down and the flame decreases immediately. Also, good to know that I shouldn't have to purchase new cookware. Though I admit after looking at induction cooking tops it does seem like pretty cool tech. But I don't think I want to go there as most are a little north of my price range.
Yeah you shouldn't have to worry about electrical components getting messed up, at least not from where you are setting things on the cook top. The smooth glass top should work well, I believe they use sturdy tempered glass so you shouldn't have any issues with that. My mom has had a glass cooktop for years now and there haven't been any cracks or damage to it. It should also be pretty easy to clean, if you get anything burned on you can use some cleaner and a razor blade like scraper to get it off.

Getting used to heat up and cool down time for heating coils will take a little time when started to use electric but its not to hard to get the hang of. Induction is pretty cool tech but yeah I guess its more expensive and some types of cookware don't work on it.

Stalfos

CrankyJay said:
How well done do you like your steak?
Looks like medium-well to me. I was thinking about commenting but I know people that will order it that way. I personally like mine more of a medium-rare.

CrankyJay

Banned
Stalfos said:
Looks like medium-well to me. I was thinking about commenting but I know people that will order it that way. I personally like mine more of a medium-rare.

Agreed. Not criticizing. Was just curious.

otake

Stalfos said:

I like it medium but ended up cooking it medium well. First time cooking that cut, I'll get it right next time.

MrBig

bucknuticus said:
Look pretty good, I generally dip them up a bit more but those look mighty tasty. Tell us how it tasted with that peanut butter.
Eh, the chocolate was a little thick so I couldn't dip that far without losing the ball and I used too much sugar for the amount of peanutbutter that I used. The people I made them for still loved them though :)

I'll also say here that I'm going to an interview at a pizza restaurant today, all this time spent making pizzas may actually pay out.

ShinAmano

Anyone ever smoked a Brisket? I am planning on doing one this weekend for my dads birthday. Tips or methods are appreciated...

I was going to go with a temp around 250 at about an hour a pound.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'd read on some food blogs about a diner in California that serves Cap'n Crunch pancakes, but from the descriptions, they just sounded like regular 'cakes with some cereal plopped on top. So this morning I figured I'd try my own version, using about ⅔ crushed Cap'n Crunch and ⅓ flour in the batter. It came out alright, tasting (logically) like overly sweetened cornmeal pancakes with some of that distinctive "soggy cereal" gumminess. I might be interested in seeing how this works with other types of junk cereals, but let's be honest: these'll never replace real flapjacks and mostly exist to satisfy Gen Y's taste for lousy irony.

IMG_2685.jpg

MrBig

Cosmic Bus said:
I'd read on some food blogs about a diner in California that serves Cap'n Crunch pancakes, but from the descriptions, they just sounded like regular 'cakes with some cereal plopped on top. So this morning I figured I'd try my own version, using about ⅔ crushed Cap'n Crunch and ⅓ flour in the batter. It came out alright, tasting (logically) like overly sweetened cornmeal pancakes with some of that distinctive "soggy cereal" gumminess. I might be interested in seeing how this works with other types of junk cereals, but let's be honest: these'll never replace real flapjacks and mostly exist to satisfy Gen Y's taste for lousy irony.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg192/cosmic_bus78/IMG_2685.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y463g76MFRw[/url]

Thought id share my latest pride, I love experimenting with juice as a sweetener for bread instead of using water or sugar. The bread gets a very nice texture and "sour" taste to it (healthier too!)
179842_10150400121315077_606125076_17326348_2566904_n.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
cjelly said:
Does anyone have a great brownie recipe they swear by?

I'm tired of eating tasteless brownies I've made from packet mixes.

This recipe for browned-butter brownies was in the new issue of Bon Appetit and I'm going to try them out this weekend:

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, chilled
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup walnut pieces

Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2-inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick spray. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt. Stir to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot). Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 25 minutes.

MrBig said:
:rockin pizza:

It still tasted good. Cream cheese mozzarella topped with salami.

Looks great and gives me a chance to ask yourself or anybody else that would care to jump in: What is Salame like? I've seen some packs of Dry Salame, sticks of black/white pepper encrusted salame, and so on----but have yet to try any of them while I have still been working my way through the various Sopressatas and Chorizos after long since running out of Pepperoni brands and such. I think it is the case that Pepperoni and Sopressatas are considered part of to Salame "family"?

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Looks great and gives me a chance to ask yourself or anybody else that would care to jump in: What is Salame like? I've seen some packs of Dry Salame, sticks of black/white pepper encrusted salame, and so on----but have yet to try any of them while I have still been working my way through the various Sopressatas and Chorizos after long since running out of Pepperoni brands and such. I think it is the case that Pepperoni and Sopressatas are considered part of to Salame "family"?
Yep, peperoni is just a salami with it's certain seasonings.

otake

jdogmoney said:
Sorry for dropping in, but I figured this was a good place to ask...what are your favorite recipes to make on the cheap?

Stews, picadillo, ragu. anything that doesn't involve fine cuts of steak.

thespot84

jdogmoney said:
Sorry for dropping in, but I figured this was a good place to ask...what are your favorite recipes to make on the cheap?

vegetables are cheap and can cook up real nice, right now my cycling menu has roasted brussel sprouts with olive oil and caramelized green beans with shallots, garlic and almonds.

if you're looking REAL cheap, you can spice up a Ramen packet with some vegetables and an egg, or maybe tofu, that was my foodie compromise during college.

Also, if you're willing to learn some basic butchering, you can even make protein (relatively) cheap. Whole chickens are not expensive and can feed a few people or provide leftovers. So roast it, butterfly and fry it, whatever works. Same goes for a tenderloin. Instead of buying filets already cut you can buy the loin for anywhere from $50-$70 (at least where am). That gets you anywhere from 4-6 filets depending on the thickness AND a roast. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Maiar_m

A bit late, but this is what I did for Valentine's Day. Click for recipe! Also, I made some peanut butter again, this time leaving some of the peanut skin in and adding a bit of honey. I like it.

ChanHuk

Banned
Alright GAF trying to assemble some decent knives for cooking.

So far I've read that Victorinox is the way to go for bang for buck aspect. Figure I would at least get a chefs knife, a paring knife, and a bread knife. Now I'm being told to forgo the chefs knife and get a santoku instead. Any opinions?

Talon

jdogmoney said:
Buy a bag of onions. Buy a couple bell peppers. Buy frozen bags of broccoli, peas, whatever vegetable you like.

Buy some carbs: pasta, rice, cous cous, quinoa.

Pick your protein and cook with whatever veggies fit. Sausage, onions, and peppers. Chicken and mushrooms. Tofu, broccoli, peas, whatever in a stir fry (buy premade or create one with soy sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, sugar). In terms of tomato sauces, it's cheaper to buy bottles than make your own - though home made is much tastier.

And have a block of parm on hand to throw on top of salads or pastas.

Also, salads. Buy heads of romaine lettuce. Throw in cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, whatever fits your fancy. Dressings are easy to make. Put some cheese on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom