• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Deadly Cyclone said:
That Ragu looks amazing, any way we can get the exact (or close to) recipe? Is pork shoulder expensive?

Yeah, pork shoulder is really cheap! Perfect student fare!

Hmm, don't have a really exact recipe but I'll give it a try!

2.2 pounds of pork
2 cups of red wine
2x500g of Tomato passato
2 cups of stock (I used pork bullion)
Couple of onions
3-4 cloves of garlic
Chili (I used dried chilis) to taste
spices (to taste: I used salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, dried herbs)

Chop the pork into as fine a pieces as you can be bothered to. Brown the meat and set aside.
Sweat the onions and the garlic at low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Add the pork and the fluids, and seasoning.
Let simmer under lid for att least 1.5 - 2 hours before tasting, and then add more spices if needed.
Simmer for at least an hour more.
Remove lid and simmer until desired consistency.

The simmering under lid could be done in the oven at about 150 Celsius.

Serve with pasta or whatever you like. Enjoy! :)

MrBig

Planted a herb garden for seasonings and stuff
IMG_8053.jpg

e:
Rosemary
Mint
Oregano
Parsley
Chives
Sage
Cucumbers

I've also got some grapes growing on a fence.

^-- Cute! I'm getting started on mine too.

Be careful of the mint! You have to trim it back ALL the time before it invades everything else.

MrBig

nakedsushi said:
^-- Cute! I'm getting started on mine too.

Be careful of the mint! You have to trim it back ALL the time before it invades everything else.
Yes I read about that. They're planted in buckets stuck into the ground that separate it.

does anybody know a good in-store brand of taco bread? i've read around on the internet and people say to go to a local factory but there are non in my area.

Stalfos

Advance_Alarm said:
does anybody know a good in-store brand of taco bread? i've read around on the internet and people say to go to a local factory but there are non in my area.
Do you mean tortillas, or are you talking about fry bread? For tortillas I'm usually not too picky, just heat them up a bit before using. There are some that come uncooked and you heat in a skillet, these can actually be really good. If you meant fry bread then I don't know if I've ever seen it in stores. If you are talking about something else entirely then ignore the above.

trancekr

I haven't cooked much recently. But these are some of them.

Asian steak with mixed green
5310838823_0ce8ffbba3_z.jpg

Simple napa cabage soup with bacon
5552603040_26880bb931_z.jpg

Pork Katsu with carrot pickle
5432632654_a287dc1a66_z.jpg

Also I went to LA a couple of weeks ago and had some Korean foods

5504445049_848df5f443_z.jpg

5504451905_00b7bc26ce_z.jpg

5504451083_e80da4c605_z.jpg

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Palmer_v1 said:
Alright GAF, I'm hoping you guys can help me out! Long story short, I've never really liked any fish or other seafood, but I'm trying to eat healthier, and I would like to try something different for variety.

What is a good fish to start with, that can also be fairly easily found in a market in the midwest? Recipes would be appreciated as well as general cooking tips, since I don't really know what a properly cooked fish should look like.

I would say the best intro to fish is a white fish like cod or halibut, because at least for me it has the least "fishy" taste to it. With Lent going on right now, you can easily find a place serving fish fry on Friday if you want to try it out, and then you can start making healthier versions of cod/halibut dishes afterwards.

CrankyJay

Banned
Tonight I realized how much I enjoy eating with chop sticks at home after I made some stirfry. Rather than using wooden disposable sticks from Asian restaurants, can anyone recommend a set of decent sticks from Amazon or something?

What do you recommend? Steel? Plastic? Something else?

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

CrankyJay said:
Tonight I realized how much I enjoy eating with chop sticks at home after I made some stirfry. Rather than using wooden disposable sticks from Asian restaurants, can anyone recommend a set of decent sticks from Amazon or something?

What do you recommend? Steel? Plastic? Something else?

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

Wood, wood wood. I hate plastic/melamine chopsticks. They're too slippery and have a weird texture. Steel is dangerous because if you put it in hot food, you could accidentally burn our tongue because it's so heat conductive. Wood is your best bet. The only downside to it is that you can't leave it in water or it'll warp, so don't just toss it into a dirty sink full of water.

Zeal

Banned
i know this is really cliche, but i would love to learn how to properly prepare my own sushi. my local sushi bar imports their fish fresh (as in alive) from japan on a daily bases, so nothing else even compares. i have probably spent over $200 on sashimi in the past few months, cause my wife and i are addicted to the sheer freshness of the taste. there's really nothing like it, and it always makes me feel so much better after we share a sashimi deluxe order.

any tips from pros would be welcomed. ;]

CrankyJay

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Wood, wood wood. I hate plastic/melamine chopsticks. They're too slippery and have a weird texture. Steel is dangerous because if you put it in hot food, you could accidentally burn our tongue because it's so heat conductive. Wood is your best bet. The only downside to it is that you can't leave it in water or it'll warp, so don't just toss it into a dirty sink full of water.

What about bamboo? It seems a little more water resistant.

CrankyJay

Banned
Zeal said:
i know this is really cliche, but i would love to learn how to properly prepare my own sushi. my local sushi bar imports their fish fresh (as in alive) from japan on a daily bases, so nothing else even compares. i have probably spent over $200 on sashimi in the past few months, cause my wife and i are addicted to the sheer freshness of the taste. there's really nothing like it, and it always makes me feel so much better after we share a sashimi deluxe order.

any tips from pros would be welcomed. ;]

Are you sure it's alive? I'm pretty sure most sushi grade tuna and other fish is flash frozen on the fishing boats in Japan. It's a requirement to kill parasites in fish.

edit: Do you live in the US? Japan? Elsewhere?

Talon

nakedsushi said:
I've eaten with metal (steel or iron) chopsticks since I was 4-years-old, and this has never happened.

If you go to an asian market, you can find some nice, attractive sets of spoons and chopsticks for good prices. Back at home, we supplement those with bamboo chopsticks.

Talon- said:
I've eaten with metal (steel or iron) chopsticks since I was 4-years-old, and this has never happened.

If you go to an asian market, you can find some nice, attractive sets of spoons and chopsticks for good prices. Back at home, we supplement those with bamboo chopsticks.

I use metal chopsticks at work and it *always* happens to me with my microwaved lunch. I'll microwave my lunch, stick my chopstick in it to fish something out, chomp down, and then SURFACE OF THE SUN in a stick. Happens a lot with stews.

Talon

nakedsushi said:
I use metal chopsticks at work and it *always* happens to me with my microwaved lunch. I'll microwave my lunch, stick my chopstick in it to fish something out, chomp down, and then SURFACE OF THE SUN in a stick. Happens a lot with stews.
I don't know what to say. I ate with chopsticks every single day from 4 to 18, when I left for college, and I never burnt my tongue with chopsticks.

Maybe we eat differently. I guess I never really lick my chopsticks.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
cooked up some squid for the first time. Cooked it a minute too long, so it started getting a tiny bit chewy, but was still pretty good.

Stalfos said:
Do you mean tortillas, or are you talking about fry bread? For tortillas I'm usually not too picky, just heat them up a bit before using. There are some that come uncooked and you heat in a skillet, these can actually be really good. If you meant fry bread then I don't know if I've ever seen it in stores. If you are talking about something else entirely then ignore the above.

thanks ill try getting those ones you cook, trying something new is nice. yea i meant tortilla, dont know why the fuck i put taco bread, sounds retarded

Palmer_v1 said:
Alright GAF, I'm hoping you guys can help me out! Long story short, I've never really liked any fish or other seafood, but I'm trying to eat healthier, and I would like to try something different for variety.

What is a good fish to start with, that can also be fairly easily found in a market in the midwest? Recipes would be appreciated as well as general cooking tips, since I don't really know what a properly cooked fish should look like.

If you can find it, Walleye is amazing. It's everywhere in Minnesota but I am not sure what part of the midwest you're from.

CrankyJay

Banned
Got a pound of jumbo lump crab to play around with tonight.

Half will go towards a crab macaroni and cheese dish and the other half will go towards some crab cakes. Mmmmm.

DJ_XMX

I present to you Chicken Slam Slam . Feat prawns all the way from europe :) cooked for my university friends before going out on a night out... :D

5560467979_dae0c7805f.jpg

5560467731_193e56d222.jpg

5561042796_93a4324af8.jpg

5561042568_9030efe2f5.jpg

5561041622_6f26c62e54.jpg

5560465929_94eebbd778.jpg

p5BBl.jpg

Last of the BJ's Cheeses: Irish Stout Dubliner
Also the last of my Chorizo Casero.

Beyond that, made ample use of the Sunchiip Parmesan & Herb crumble and quite enjoyed this portion of the large block----pretty much Dubliner as I know it with a bit of a twist via the inclusion of Stout.

Not sure where to go from here meat wise...guess there's always that Boar's Head Sopressata I've seen around as well as that different brand of Prosciutto. Really need to get back to that butcher shop and see if he has contacts with the world of cured meats...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I made some tasty brochettes. Marinated chicken for two hours (next time I'll do it for longer but I was getting hungry). Marinade made of maple syrup, soy sauce, cider vinegar, powdered mustard, thyme, and oregano.

2my2oae.jpg

Maiar_m

Dat chicken slam! And I'm not usually "attracted" to surf and turf cuisine.

This week, I cooked this:

small-8347.jpg

Teriyaki salmon with breaded courgettes (or Zucchini, I don't know if that's really how you guys call it)

small-8348.jpg

Chocolate cakes with homemade vanilla and cinnamon iced cream.

Yes, it was a good Saturday lunch.

MrBig

Made some more peanut butter, honey maple this time :)
Saved myself a lot of trouble while roasting by lining the pan with a double layer of aluminum foil, wish I had a food processor though
IMG_8119.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Monday is Miracoli-day:
smallP1020722.jpg

tuned with creme fraiche for the wife:
smallP1020766.jpg

and for yours truly with industrial Gouda mixed into the noodles:
smallP1020768.jpg

Tastes like student times. Goddamnawful.

Zyzyxxz

It's the shitty homemade meals that make it home sometimes!

These days my eating habits are so messed up. I usually get off work around 11-12pm and I eat lunch at home, a small staff meal at 4:30.

I'm usually munching on strange and random scraps to make due like cheese, melons, and jamon iberico.

hgP3d.jpg

Irish Stout Dubliner alongside turkey bacon, Tandoori Paste, and some Zatar.

Huge mess of oil in the stove, though I will always blame the crooked cookie sheet as there is no way it could get as messy with a level surface at work.

Really need to get a proper pizza pan at some point...

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Irish Stout Dubliner alongside turkey bacon, Tandoori Paste, and some Zatar.

Huge mess of oil in the stove, though I will always blame the crooked cookie sheet as there is no way it could get as messy with a level surface at work.

Really need to get a proper pizza pan at some point...
Are you just putting oil right on top of the dough? I make the dough with olive oil and then I paint the dough with melted butter (with some various herbs in it) when I'm building the pizza. Never had a problem when I was using pans or stones.

funk0ar

dyonPT said:
Cappuccino Pie :)

5544624445_06f2c79b51_z.jpg

Lot's of great shit on this page but holy fuck this looks amazing! I'm not really even a dessert guy but i'd like to give making this a go.

Could you post the recipe?

Tinabina

i need to take more pics, i cook dinner for the family almost every night

here's one of my favs- pasta, tortellini, broccoli, garlic and oil. yum :)
f1083d18.jpg

trancekr said:
Over the weekend I made 'Korean Braised Short Rib'
Cute garnish with the diamond yolks/whites. Speaking of Korean and eggs... been going to this great Korean place here in Portland, ME lately and have decided to start cooking the dishes myself. Simple weekend comfort food, kimchi fried rice. Dead simple: saute couple gloves of garlic & green onions, add a few cups of rice, fry for a bit to pick up some flavor from fond, add a cup of kim chi, mix and heat through, boom. Serve with a soft fried egg on top, spoon some kochujang or sriracha on top. So good I made two batches back to back so I didn't have to fight my wife for half.

Also tinabina: if you want to switch that up a little, try doing the same thing with some rapini that you parboil and then saute in some crushed red pepper, garlic and olive oil.

Tinabina

i don't really have any exact measurements, i've been making it for so long it just comes together now. it's really easy though

about 4 or 5 chopped cloves of garlic
then fry the garlic in about 1/4-1/3? cup of oil on medium heat, add steamed or fresh broccoli
reduce to low heat and cover for about 5 mins then add to any pasta

i also add some salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parmigiano cheese

another way is to put it all in a baking dish, top with mozzarella and bake till cheese is melted
yum :)

BriareosGAF: my grandma makes it like that but I'm not really a big fan of it, same thing as broccoli rabe, correct? i did actually add some cauliflower to that last batch

trancekr

BriareosGAF said:
Cute garnish with the diamond yolks/whites. Speaking of Korean and eggs... been going to this great Korean place here in Portland, ME lately and have decided to start cooking the dishes myself. Simple weekend comfort food, kimchi fried rice. Dead simple: saute couple gloves of garlic & green onions, add a few cups of rice, fry for a bit to pick up some flavor from fond, add a cup of kim chi, mix and heat through, boom. Serve with a soft fried egg on top, spoon some kochujang or sriracha on top. So good I made two batches back to back so I didn't have to fight my wife for half.

Actually, the diamond yolks are a traditional way to garnish the rip.
Speaking of kimchi fried rice, try potato or sausage/ham for next time.

D-Pad

Nice! I've been meaning to grab some Kitchenaids for a while now, but they're so big and I'm too lazy to clean them.

Made some burgers yesterday. Sorry for the crappy picture, I didn't have access to my dad's camera.
SZ5Xp.jpg

See all those toppings? Lettuce, tomato, cheddar (makes it better), bacon, bbq sauce on top and steak sauce on the bottom. You could still taste the meat! I used ground beef and mixed in some cumin, curry powder, paprika, minced garlic, onions, chili powder, and pepper (no salt). It was delicious and smokey tasting. Not to mention thick and juicy.

Here are some things I made up a few weeks ago:

Teriyaki Chicken Wraps with Vidalia Onion dressing

Link

Pineapple Apricot Chicken Breasts
Served with wild rice and asparagus.
[Picture is too big :\]
Link

MrBig said:
Are you just putting oil right on top of the dough? I make the dough with olive oil and then I paint the dough with melted butter (with some various herbs in it) when I'm building the pizza. Never had a problem when I was using pans or stones.

Actually not using any oil at all on this one---culprit seems to be the cheese itself as some just melt to be really oily. There is some olive oil already infused into the dough ball itself.

Nifty idea on the melted butter though, makes sense given I've gotten on well with including a small pad of herb butter on my Weekend ones.

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Actually not using any oil at all on this one---culprit seems to be the cheese itself as some just melt to be really oily. There is some olive oil already infused into the dough ball itself.

Nifty idea on the melted butter though, makes sense given I've gotten on well with including a small pad of herb butter on my Weekend ones.
Ah then you don't have a sufficient crust. That's not a problem on mine since I stuff and roll the crust. With yours then you can either just spread it out more and then roll the edges over or when you are spreading the dough, leave a larger ring around the edges and spread from the middle, New York style (this would work better since the dough you use seems to love to expand.)

MrBig said:
Ah then you don't have a sufficient crust. That's not a problem on mine since I stuff and roll the crust. With yours then you can either just spread it out more and then roll the edges over or when you are spreading the dough, leave a larger ring around the edges and spread from the middle, New York style (this would work better since the dough you use seems to love to expand.)

Yeah, we do some crust forming/buffering the edge of sauce/cheese most of the time as it is...and often that works, but the last several weeks we've gotten...odd...doughballs that either don't rise as well, or bubble in strange places, and any number of weird bits while still cooking up tasty. Probably something to do with the weather shifting around abruptly in these parts as well.

GiJoccin

made some pizza with a friend! made enough dough for 6 pies (2 plains, 1 sausage and veggies, 2 veggies, and 1 egg and chorizo)

what a difference using a lot less in my sauce made (just blended potatoes, a pinch of salt, and half a teaspoon of sugar to get rid of the bitterness)

Natetan

I made a 'white' themed dinner tonight. I made risotto which i added half a head of pureed cauliflower to. I roasted the rest along with some early onions (they are a little sweet and are super delicious). Then I pan fried some tilapia and glazed it with some recaito.

was pretty tasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom