• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Some meat sauce I made a few weeks ago. Home made is the way to go, Ragu does suck.

g5Y8fl.jpg

Anniversary dinner.

JhaUyl.jpg

75xjOl.jpg

That's a white burgundy with a surf and turf of sorts. It's new york strip with main lobster, tostones, asparagus and carrots.

rykomatsu said:
Modernist Cuisine @ Barnes & Noble, in-store shipped to home
$230+tax w/ coupon below...has to be in-store.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=37767

Might have to wait a month or 2 and pay upfront, unlike Amazon, but $230 is a couple of meals at a nice fancy restaurant and puts each book in the set (5 or 6 including the kitchen guide) at $38~$46 ea.
I literally came into this thread to ask the name of this book, as I had seen it posted a couple times but forgot. Awesome timing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Adventures in Baklava making Part One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu3zOfUfIw&feature=player_embedded

I doubt there will be a part two, I just need to bake it, let it cool and then make the honey/syrup and pour it on and let it sit over night. I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning of the final product though!

EDIT:
Oh shit you dudes are pumped for MODERNIST CUISINE too? God, I need to come to this thread more often.

MrBig

Ugh, my pizza dough isn't rising today. I think I may have absent mindedly added an extra cup of flour to it. Anything I can do?

GiJoccin

MrBig said:
Ugh, my pizza dough isn't rising today. I think I may have absent mindedly added an extra cup of flour to it. Anything I can do?

what kind of yeast are you using? what about temperature of the room? might not be a bad idea to put it in the oven if the pilot light is on, it'll be a few degrees warmer in there. if i need a good rise sometimes i'll put it near the drier or furnace - helps to be humid, but the heat seems to help more

MrBig

Looks like that burger could have used a bit less time on the grill ;)

GiJoccin said:
what kind of yeast are you using? what about temperature of the room? might not be a bad idea to put it in the oven if the pilot light is on, it'll be a few degrees warmer in there. if i need a good rise sometimes i'll put it near the drier or furnace - helps to be humid, but the heat seems to help more
I'm using the same yeast I've always used for the dough. Maybe because it's coldish and very humid. I have an electric oven so I'll just put it in there at it's lowest temp for a while.

zhRec.jpg

Same Irish Stout Dubliner, now with Crab Boil Seasoning, a different brand of Prosciutto(YUM!), and the very bizarre Terra Mediterranean (Mixed Veggie) Chips. Really satisfying combo though---warmed some Prosciutto up, at some straight out of the pack, and lastly draped some right over the top of it all right after it came piping hot out of the oven.

Maiar_m

Rocky road! Click for recipe. It was pretty easy to make, I'll have some more in the summer - it's a nice cold treat after all.

Zyzyxxz

Once again work has been hectic so I am cooking very little at home but at least I'm learning alot about modern Latin cuisne.

Many late nights I come home hungry so I whipped up a 5 minute pho (although the broth was made months ago and frozen) with thick rice noodles, sliced Chinese sausage, chopped egg omelette, and spring onions.
5588162954_4be190d319_b.jpg

As for today I made some braised short ribs since it had been at least 9 days since I was last free to cook a meal for my parents and brothers.

beef short ribs were oven braised in chicken stock, soy sauce, mirin, sake and the resulting glaze was reduced a little with some heavy cream. Only cooked it or 2 hours so it still had a little bite to it but still tender. The bones went to my dog.
5587572151_e17cdd3fbf_b.jpg

5588163146_0b22354bcb_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
Once again work has been hectic so I am cooking very little at home but at least I'm learning alot about modern Latin cuisne.

Many late nights I come home hungry so I whipped up a 5 minute pho (although the broth was made months ago and frozen) with thick rice noodles, sliced Chinese sausage, chopped egg omelette, and spring onions.
5588162954_4be190d319_b.jpg

As for today I made some braised short ribs since it had been at least 9 days since I was last free to cook a meal for my parents and brothers.

beef short ribs were oven braised in chicken stock, soy sauce, mirin, sake and the resulting glaze was reduced a little with some heavy cream. Only cooked it or 2 hours so it still had a little bite to it but still tender. The bones went to my dog.
5587572151_e17cdd3fbf_b.jpg

5588163146_0b22354bcb_b.jpg

Do you have a recipe for this?

Zyzyxxz

magnificent83 said:
Do you have a recipe for this?

For the pho its pretty much whatever you have in the house, the pho broth recipe I based off this: http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html but modified it a bit, siginificantly by roasting the bones after blanching them.

As for the braised short ribs I browned them with salt pepper, flour.

Braising liquid:
Deglaze dutch oven/pot with 1/2 cup sake
Then add rest:
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup water or enough to cover
1 thinly sliced onion
2 bay leaves

Cover in the oven for 2 hours at 375, checking occasionally to make sure it doesn't dry out, cook until meat is tender and remove meat and discard bay leaf. I mixed heavy cream into the remaining sauce but if I had I would have used creme fraiche instead.

trancekr

Zyzyxxz said:
For the pho its pretty much whatever you have in the house, the pho broth recipe I based off this: http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html but modified it a bit, siginificantly by roasting the bones after blanching them.

As for the braised short ribs I browned them with salt pepper, flour.

Braising liquid:
Deglaze dutch oven/pot with 1/2 cup sake
Then add rest:
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup water or enough to cover
1 thinly sliced onion
2 bay leaves

Cover in the oven for 2 hours at 375, checking occasionally to make sure it doesn't dry out, cook until meat is tender and remove meat and discard bay leaf. I mixed heavy cream into the remaining sauce but if I had I would have used creme fraiche instead.

Looks yummy. :)

BTW, that's quite similar to my braised rib recipe. Try to add apple, asian pear, or kiwi in the sauce.

Zyzyxxz

trancekr said:
Looks yummy. :)

BTW, that's quite similar to my braised rib recipe. Try to add apple, asian pear, or kiwi in the sauce.

That's a good idea, I was trying to balance out the salt a bit, should have thought of apple

A friend brought over wild fennel that was growing in his backyard. I made it into a pasta sauce.

Tossed with spaghetti and served with a side of curry roasted cauliflower.

Le-mo

Gaf, I need your advice. I'm having a party this Saturday and I'm looking to buy or make some cheap, good and plentiful snacks. What do you gaffers suggest?

rykomatsu

nakedsushi said:
A friend brought over wild fennel that was growing in his backyard. I made it into a pasta sauce.
Did you use the bulb too? Hard to tell in pic.

I've found fennel bulbs to be pretty delicious :)

thespot84

Le-mo said:
Gaf, I need your advice. I'm having a party this Saturday and I'm looking to buy or make some cheap, good and plentiful snacks. What do you gaffers suggest?

For the superbowl I did everything pig themed:

Bacon Wrapped stuffed Jalapenos (filling was cream cheese mixed with the seeds/flesh from the inside of the jalapenos). Roasted in the oven. Huge hit, but pretty spicy.

Brussel Sprouts with bacon

pulled pork sliders. Another huge hit, and REALLY easy, assuming you have some kind of slow cooker. A 4lb shoulder fed about 10 and then some.

If you want finger food I'd focus on the sliders and jalapenos. Hopefully you're not kosher (some of my guests were and I forgot :-/)

Sumidor

Kind of an odd question.. But does anyone have any really good low carb recipes? I know there's a ton online, but I wanna know some recipes that you guys personally enjoy.

thespot84

Sumidor said:
Kind of an odd question.. But does anyone have any really good low carb recipes? I know there's a ton online, but I wanna know some recipes that you guys personally enjoy.

you didn't like my pig recipes? :p

rykomatsu said:
Did you use the bulb too? Hard to tell in pic.

I've found fennel bulbs to be pretty delicious :)

No, he only brought over the fronds. I guess wild fennel doesn't really have that big of a bulb?

Le-mo said:

Guacamole is always a hit. Not sure how expensive avocados are where you are, but make sure to get ripe ones. Avocado + green onion + some jalapeno + salt + pepper to taste. Mash with with fork.

Do you have a food processor? If you do, you can make all sorts of dips to eat with veggies/chips/bread. Examples:

White bean dip:
- 1 can white bean (cannellini) + 1 clove garlic + 1 stalk rosemary (leaves only) + a few splashes of lemon juice + salt to taste. Blend till smooth.

Black bean dip:
- 1 can black bean, 1 garlic, salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Blend till smooth. Mix with finely chopped white or red onion. Top with chopped green onion and shredded cheese.

ShinAmano

thespot84 said:
Bacon Wrapped stuffed Jalapenos (filling was cream cheese mixed with the seeds/flesh from the inside of the jalapenos). Roasted in the oven. Huge hit, but pretty spicy.
If you leave the flesh/seed out and mix in sausage instead the spice goes down and the taste goes up ;)

You can also make your own Salsa it is really cheap to do and easy.

Side note did anyone ever post the recipe for the Cappuccino Pie?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I need to get a better knife for slicing, but this Seared Ahi Tuna I made the other night was delicious.

A5aDNl.jpg

Sumidor

thespot84 said:
you didn't like my pig recipes? :p
Haha, I would love to eat all those things you listed, but I'm pretty sure I would need some kind of alcohol to really enjoy it. Also I've been eating a lot of brussel sprouts with bacon already :)

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping on the sous-vide train this afternoon. I'll try and post a pic when it is done.

Edit: Terrible cell phone pic, but the steak came out godly. Cooked it at 145 degrees. Might drop it down to about 135-140 next time. (baby steps, I used to eat my steak well done)

J2Fby.jpg

edit: slightly better picture

wbO20.jpg

This...this was pretty weird. I left it in for more time than the instructions stated (20-25 at 375 they said, I went for 30 min), but I can't really say it it was 100% done given the quirks of my oven and that damned cookie sheet.

What we have here is a cheese pizza using some old Farmer's Cheese. The freaky bit...is the dough---a packet of "Chebe" mix---made mainly from Tapioca!

You mix the powder, oil, milk, grated parmesan, and 2 eggs in a mixing bowl, then knead(no proofing phase or whatnot) until doughy...then it goes as usual from there. It was fairly tasty/soft, as it was herb infused and whatnot, though I have zero prior experience with Tapioca-things to know whether or not it was "right" per se...

Zyzyxxz

otake said:
Pressure cooker, for or against?

For, I bought one recently and although I'm not a fan of the texture it can give certain foods, sometimes if you really need to make something quick its so handy.

I once did braised beef stew in only an hour and it came out decently.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
why the chocolate cookies? traditional mousse au chocolat is made from chocolate, butter, sugar, orange juice and eggs. also a hint of cointreau if you fancy.

dyonPT

OnkelC said:
why the chocolate cookies? traditional mousse au chocolat is made from chocolate, butter, sugar, orange juice and eggs. also a hint of cointreau if you fancy.

Just an escuse to add more chocolate ;) To make it crunchy :)

Here is what I used in my mousse:

5602948356_89c9ac8af0_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom