• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
dyonPT said:
Just an escuse to add more chocolate ;) To make it crunchy :)

Here is what I used in my mousse:

5602948356_89c9ac8af0_z.jpg

You're texture won't be right. I've done chocolate mousse, you don't want those cookies in there. Also, make sure you don't burn the coffee and get ready to whip egg whites like crazy.

dyonPT

otake said:
You're texture won't be right. I've done chocolate mousse, you don't want those cookies in there. Also, make sure you don't burn the coffee and get ready to whip egg whites like crazy.

It's a diferent mousse recepie not the best, not the worst :)

K6MTo.jpg

So yeah....braided Mozzarella is a hell of a thing, especially when the damned package doesn't want to open correctly.

Cheese: Zesty Marinated Cappiello Braided Mozzarella
Crumble: Lundberg Family Farms Rice Chips Santa Fe Barbecue

All in all they were good, and the chip have a delightful crunch to them even when heavily broken. The oils/spices/etc infused into the mozz definitely gave it something extra versus the usual, though it was just a low moisture mozz as opposed to some buffalo.

D-Pad

Food has rules on how it is to be cooked now? If everything was made to be prepared traditionally we wouldn't have a fraction of the many dishes we have today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ElectricThunder said:
K6MTo.jpg

So yeah....braided Mozzarella is a hell of a thing, especially when the damned package doesn't want to open correctly.

Cheese: Zesty Marinated Cappiello Braided Mozzarella
Crumble: Lundberg Family Farms Rice Chips Santa Fe Barbecue

All in all they were good, and the chip have a delightful crunch to them even when heavily broken. The oils/spices/etc infused into the mozz definitely gave it something extra versus the usual, though it was just a low moisture mozz as opposed to some buffalo.

All of that stuff you have been making looks delicious but, experimentation shouldn't come at the price of clogged arteries! Watch out!:)

Experimented on a seafood and italian sausage lasagna with a cream based sauce a while back after a night of nerd activities(building computers and whatnot). Came out pretty good, but I don't believe I posted it. I wish I would have taken some pics of it with bread, garnish, and all...but ah well.

hNM4c.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I used the pressure cooker. I made my favorite cuban dish, old clothes. I cooked double the amount in half the time. The meat came out so tender...

The only downside to it is that it's a bitch to clean. I don't use a dishwasher and it's a 6 quart, it's pretty heavy too. Anyway, I want to later make beef short ribs with it and possibly beef bourguignon.

I went to The Bone Fish Grill last night and ordered the salmon with chimichurri on it, my s.o. ordered another fish but with the mango sauce. The mango sauce was horrible, my fish was cooked right, tasted ok but the chimichurri was off. To this people something green, spicy an with a hint of vinegar is chimichurri. The place seemed more like a tv show set for a restaurant than an actual restaurant. The prices were kind of high and the candle on the table was fake. I'm never going back.

Today I'm flying to Las Vegas, I hope I can go to the Jose Andres restaurant, Jaleo. Anyone been?

Ether_Snake said:
All of that stuff you have been making looks delicious but, experimentation shouldn't come at the price of clogged arteries! Watch out!:)

Heh, It isn't quite as crazy as it looks so much as it spread a fair bit melted and I didn't wind up more carefully arranging/chopping up the mozzarella braid into something more manageable.

Still, a fair point...though I do eat things beside pizza the outstanding majority of a given week's meals as my mom has been on the organic/natural train from the very start. Do need to get back to an exercise regiment---damned GA heat wrecks me though...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
D-Pad said:
Food has rules on how it is to be cooked now? If everything was made to be prepared traditionally we wouldn't have a fraction of the many dishes we have today.
experimentation is a good thing, repeating errors / redoing failed concepts other people have encountered before is not "experimenting", but a sign of ignorance.

Zyzyxxz

otake said:
I used the pressure cooker. I made my favorite cuban dish, old clothes. I cooked double the amount in half the time. The meat came out so tender...

The only downside to it is that it's a bitch to clean. I don't use a dishwasher and it's a 6 quart, it's pretty heavy too. Anyway, I want to later make beef short ribs with it and possibly beef bourguignon.

I went to The Bone Fish Grill last night and ordered the salmon with chimichurri on it, my s.o. ordered another fish but with the mango sauce. The mango sauce was horrible, my fish was cooked right, tasted ok but the chimichurri was off. To this people something green, spicy an with a hint of vinegar is chimichurri. The place seemed more like a tv show set for a restaurant than an actual restaurant. The prices were kind of high and the candle on the table was fake. I'm never going back.

Today I'm flying to Las Vegas, I hope I can go to the Jose Andres restaurant, Jaleo. Anyone been?

Nope but its on my list, heres a detailed review of the DC branch http://www.kevineats.com/2010/03/jaleo-washington-dc.htm

Been forever since I posted. Today I'm gonna do a middle eastern themed dinner. I'm making Moroccan style chicken kebabs and stuffed grape leaves. I'll also have some left over avocado black bean salad. It doesn't mesh 100% with the theme, but I hate to let good food go to waste :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Update on the "Modernist Cuisine":
Amazon.de ist unable to deliver at the moment, so I don't know when I'll get my hands on int :(
Anybody received it already?

rykomatsu

OnkelC said:
Update on the "Modernist Cuisine":
Amazon.de ist unable to deliver at the moment, so I don't know when I'll get my hands on int :(
Anybody received it already?

Mine would have shipped last week, but alas, I cancelled my amazon order to be able to buy it at $250 :|

Myrvhold said it's being localized to a few languages by year's end, but also said that the initial print run of 6000 has already sold out. Second print run of 25k I think will start shipping in June or July I believe....

dc89

5d03zr.jpg

I just made that.

Tuna steak cooked on a griddle for around 4 mins each side.

Leafy salad too. Then I made a quick dressing using the following:

Balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, chilli's, fresh, chopped basil leaves, freshly squeezed lemon and add salt and pepper to taste.

I take it this is the thread for showing off your food and recipes!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
shiitake & oyster mushrooms, caramelized onions, soft goat cheese and basil. the long and short of it is that it came out very great.

0MZAv.jpg

vdGG6.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
beelzebozo said:
shiitake & oyster mushrooms, caramelized onions, soft goat cheese and basil. the long and short of it is that it came out very great.

My pants are damp, and I'm unclear as to whether it's from walking home in the rain or looking at your pizza photos.

After seriously fucking up last year, I'm making attempt #2 at going to school for baking and pastry by applying to a different college. The course is a bit longer than what I was enrolled in at the Art Institute, feels like it'll be significantly more work (plus I'll have to take a college-level math class, as well -- the thought of which turns me white as a sheet) but I have to have to have to push myself to fully go through with things this time around and not get so terrified at being challenged. There needs to be a way to inject confidence into yourself, kind of like a B12 shot or something.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MrBig said:
That dough looks, fantastic; how'd you get it so airy while having so many toppings?

it's all in the rise, if you ask me. i let it pop up once for several hours while i was at work in a large container to let it develop flavor and let the yeast breathe; when i came home it had actually toppled my container over with its newfound girth. when i turned it out onto the counter, i formed it into a ball and let it rise again but was careful not to manhandle it, wanting to keep a lot of the rise that i'd worked so hard for all day (worked so hard for by letting it sit in a container that then spilled, that is). after it looked doubled again, i gently shaped it the way i wanted it--in this case, the piece of stone i was using was approximately 19x12 or something, so i formed it into a rough rectangle, and again let it rise for approximately half an hour to forty-five minutes. i then added the cooked toppings--the mushroom mixture which i sauteed in butter with salt and pepper and fresh thyme, some red pepper flake, and some parmesan and garlic stirred in just at the end, plus the caramelized onions i mentioned--and slid the parchment on to the hot stone in the oven (set to 500, which is as high as my new oven will go :( ). it took it about 10 or 11 minutes to look that way. i pulled it out and added the goat cheese and basil after baking. the goat cheese, the soft goat cheese at least, i've found gets sort of chalky and loses its specialness if you bake it too long at too high a heat. fresh is better.

but the bubbles, the height of the dough, that stuff? that's in the rise.

here is a great food processor pizza dough recipe i recommend.

The Pizza Lab: New York Style Pizza at Home (Or How I Became a Food Processor Convert)

Good stuff Beelz and DC, both of those look great.

Here is some red bean and rice I made a few days ago with sausage and smoked ham hocks. Nothing fancy, but I guess it shouldn't be. Sometimes it's best not to tamper too much lol

GY67r.jpg

MrBig

beelzebozo said:
it's all in the rise, if you ask me. i let it pop up once for several hours while i was at work in a large container to let it develop flavor and let the yeast breathe; when i came home it had actually toppled my container over with its newfound girth. when i turned it out onto the counter, i formed it into a ball and let it rise again but was careful not to manhandle it, wanting to keep a lot of the rise that i'd worked so hard for all day (worked so hard for by letting it sit in a container that then spilled, that is). after it looked doubled again, i gently shaped it the way i wanted it--in this case, the piece of stone i was using was approximately 19x12 or something, so i formed it into a rough rectangle, and again let it rise for approximately half an hour to forty-five minutes. i then added the cooked toppings--the mushroom mixture which i sauteed in butter with salt and pepper and fresh thyme, some red pepper flake, and some parmesan and garlic stirred in just at the end, plus the caramelized onions i mentioned--and slid the parchment on to the hot stone in the oven (set to 500, which is as high as my new oven will go :( ). it took it about 10 or 11 minutes to look that way. i pulled it out and added the goat cheese and basil after baking. the goat cheese, the soft goat cheese at least, i've found gets sort of chalky and loses its specialness if you bake it too long at too high a heat. fresh is better.

but the bubbles, the height of the dough, that stuff? that's in the rise.

here is a great food processor pizza dough recipe i recommend.

The Pizza Lab: New York Style Pizza at Home (Or How I Became a Food Processor Convert)
Thanks, I've been using that recipe for a while, but I haven't had the technique down right. Only letting it rise for about 5 hours when I make it. Don't have a food processor though, only a bread maker.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MrBig said:
Thanks, I've been using that recipe for a while, but I haven't had the technique down right. Only letting it rise for about 5 hours when I make it. Don't have a food processor though, only a bread maker.
not "punching it down" are you? fold it and form the ball again just enough to redistribute gases. don't manhandle it after the first rise. form it into your desired shape gently, let it rise again for half an hour, bake at highest possible heat. it should have nice structure. the multiple rises is what makes it a special crust.

My hunt for more pizza things to try continues:

Anybody have any experience with Abbruzze? The Boar's Head rendition of it is what I've found, though oddly I couldn't bring any up on their website...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ElectricThunder said:
My hunt for more pizza things to try continues:

Anybody have any experience with Abbruzze? The Boar's Head rendition of it is what I've found, though oddly I couldn't bring any up on their website...

if i recall correctly it struck me as having a texture not unlike a fattier pepperoni, and spicier. it's got a hard fat level that i would compare to a salami (you can see it when you look at it, the difference between it and pepperoni, from the white specks) but again with that dried density of pepperoni. i like it better than pepperoni actually, for the additional spiciness, but your mileage may vary. because of the higher fat content with these sort of cured meats i like to put them on a paper towel and microwave them for ten or fifteen seconds and pat out some of the fat before i put them on the pizza. i like my meats a little crispy, and the additional fat pooling on top of the pizza may taste okay but it puts some people off.

i just ordered a copy of AMERICAN PIE by peter reinhart--same dude who did THE BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE, a wonderful bread-baking book--and will gladly share any groundbreaking new ideas or crustatory revelations i get from it. i have heard it's essential for a pizza lover.

MrBig

Please do share.

I'm just going to have to completely overhaul my technique in accordance with that article. I've been making the dough and letting it sit unsealed outside of my fridge for about 5 hours before I make it and then going directly into spreading the dough.

I have it blending right now and will throw it into the fridge overnight.
So I should be doing: overnight rise > fold it into a ball in the morning > form it into a pie and rise for an hour or so > build pizza?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MrBig said:
Please do share.

I'm just going to have to completely overhaul my technique in accordance with that article. I've been making the dough and letting it sit unsealed outside of my fridge for about 5 hours before I make it and then going directly into spreading the dough.

I have it blending right now and will throw it into the fridge overnight.
So I should be doing: overnight rise > fold it into a ball in the morning > form it into a pie and rise for an hour or so > build pizza?

essentially. the overnight rise i would say is optional. dough that slow, cold ferments overnight will have more flavor than one that ferments for just a few hours upon that initial rise, but the one that has a good three or four hour rise in a warm place can still have very nice structure and flavor. off the top of my head, my normal procedure would be this:

- make dough.
- form dough into ball, coat in oil (spray is fine really), and put into large bowl or plastic container.
- let rise until doubled or tripled--three hours, six hours, whatever! you'll be distributing those bubbles again, so "over raising" the dough at this point would be kind of impossible unless you just let it sit forever and get completely sour and gross.
- redistribute the gas bubbles gently after the first rise (whether it's just a few hours at room temp or overnight from the fridge) and let the dough rise again, until doubled from the size it was when you folded it.
- put the dough on the piel. depending on the moisture content you may want to use some flour so it doesn't stick. use your best judgment. form the dough into the shape you like. there are a multitude of ways to do this. i don't mess TOO much with aerial tactics. most of it i do on the piel or the counter or parchment. it's easier for me to keep things uniform and gentle.
- let the dough rise again in its final shape for at least 30 more minutes so it will have more body. dough that you bake immediately after shaping will be flatter. that's fine if you want something thinner and crisper, but for the irregular chew akin to a ciabatta, let it proof one more time for that 30 minutes.

i should note that i normally bake my pizza on parchment. i build the pie on parchment which i slide from the top of the piel into the oven with the pizza. it prevents the dough from becoming misshapen and also negates the possibility of the moist dough becoming stuck to the piel, which has happened to me before. all that work and the damn thing won't go in the oven!

MrBig

beelzebozo said:
i should note that i normally bake my pizza on parchment. i build the pie on parchment which i slide from the top of the piel into the oven with the pizza. it prevents the dough from becoming misshapen and also negates the possibility of the moist dough becoming stuck to the piel, which has happened to me before. all that work and the damn thing won't go in the oven!
I haven't bothered with doing that. What I do is put bread crumbs on the peel and then shake the pie around a bit to loosen any parts that would stick after I finish building it so that it's able to just slide off in perfect shape no problem.

I'll put up some pics of how it turns out tomorrow night.

coldvein

Banned
OnkelC said:
experimentation is a good thing, repeating errors / redoing failed concepts other people have encountered before is not "experimenting", but a sign of ignorance.

i see onkel in a chef touqe screaming this out from the front of a cooking class while slamming a large wooden spoon on a counter

beelzebozo said:
if i recall correctly it struck me as having a texture not unlike a fattier pepperoni, and spicier. it's got a hard fat level that i would compare to a salami (you can see it when you look at it, the difference between it and pepperoni, from the white specks) but again with that dried density of pepperoni. i like it better than pepperoni actually, for the additional spiciness, but your mileage may vary. because of the higher fat content with these sort of cured meats i like to put them on a paper towel and microwave them for ten or fifteen seconds and pat out some of the fat before i put them on the pizza. i like my meats a little crispy, and the additional fat pooling on top of the pizza may taste okay but it puts some people off.

i just ordered a copy of AMERICAN PIE by peter reinhart--same dude who did THE BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE, a wonderful bread-baking book--and will gladly share any groundbreaking new ideas or crustatory revelations i get from it. i have heard it's essential for a pizza lover.

Sounds right up my alley then, especially as I am very much a fan of the spicier things in life and a bit of fat/oil doesn't trouble me---that's where the crumble comes in among other tricks like swapping the usual construction layers! We differ in the crispy factor though---generally like mine either tender/chewy or a clean bite---save for the likes of crispy bacon though, mmmm...

I'll certainly be interested in the various nifty things in that book and it is a standup gesture on your part to offer up the info---thanks!

I'll grab it next week then---the pile has run all too low on me now. Beyond this, unless there was yet another brand of prosciutto I've missed someplace, the only other "new" topping I have access to in this realm is the Boar's Head Sopressata. : /

I see so many interesting sounding/looking cured and/or smoked meats on Wikipedia, but they all seem to be out of my reach.

To say nothing of weird fantasies I have, like what would happen if somebody imported a Buffalo to the Alpine region and used that to make Bresaola(sp?) instead of beef...

In other news, I may have almost convinced a local bakery/deli to start messing about with Carob(Will pick them up a 12oz bag next week when I get another bag for myself, as my mugs of "Hot Carob" have whittled me down low...)---perhaps making them the only place in the entire state(or larger...) to do so. I need to learn how to bake almost as bad as how to cook...

MrBig

I think my yeast is dead. This pizza dough and the last loaf of bread I made have not risen correctly.
Can that happen when you're using yeast from a jar? I seal it tight enough that I have to use a towel to open it every time and I keep it in the fridge.

I have it rising in the warm sun (in a container) now to see if that helps

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
MrBig said:
I think my yeast is dead. This pizza dough and the last loaf of bread I made have not risen correctly.
Can that happen when you're using yeast from a jar? I seal it tight enough that I have to use a towel to open it every time and I keep it in the fridge.

I have it rising in the warm sun (in a container) now to see if that helps
keys when workin with yeast are to use lukewarm water or milk, keep the dough away from draft/ventilation and cover the bowl with a towel. the bowl should be stored in a warm place. tip: put the bowl in the (off) oven, about perfect conditions for the dough to rest.

MrBig

OnkelC said:
keys when workin with yeast are to use lukewarm water or milk, keep the dough away from draft/ventilation and cover the bowl with a towel. the bowl should be stored in a warm place. tip: put the bowl in the (off) oven, about perfect conditions for the dough to rest.

Maybe I've been overheating it then. I've been putting the yeast in 1/4 cup of water heated in the microwave for one minute before adding it to the mix

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MrBig said:
Maybe I've been overheating it then. I've been putting the yeast in 1/4 cup of water heated in the microwave for one minute before adding it to the mix

that sounds not only possible but entirely likely. if you're going to bloom the yeast, make sure the water is just warm to the touch--not hot. a half teaspoon of sugar in the warm water will help the yeast start belching (yum, science).

though i would note that in the recipe from slice, there is no blooming required, and i did none to make my pizza. it's a good safety precaution though if you wish to be sure your yeast is in good health.

MrBig

Leaving the dough out on the peel for another rise gave the dough a very pastry like flavor that I didn't like very much, and I then had problems with it sticking to the peel since the dough absorbed the breadcrumbs after sitting there for so long.
It was still an alright pie though.

Bacon, onion, fresh picked parsley, fresh moz

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
MrBig said:
Leaving the dough out on the peel for another rise gave the dough a very pastry like flavor that I didn't like very much, and I then had problems with it sticking to the peel since the dough absorbed the breadcrumbs after sitting there for so long.
It was still an alright pie though.

Bacon, onion, fresh picked parsley, fresh moz
It looks very good, and you've inspired me to make pizza for dinner.

I made pizza tonight, too.
olaMQ.jpg

(Sorry about the terrible picture.) Corned beef brisket and sweet onion on aged mozz and tomato sauce. Dough was 65%-ish hydration APF with some oil added, hand-kneaded for around 10 minutes and then fridge-retarded for a couple days. Wasn't bad.

Maiar_m

Yesterday's lunch:

Marinated pork rib and pepper bell trio.
small-8509.jpg

Carambar cake and carambar sauce. If you don't know what a carambar is, I pity you. It's a caramel sweet, the kind that sticks to your teeth to much it's nearly dangerous.
small-8510.jpg

Recipes on demand, but if I were you, I wouldn't bother with the pork. Or get some really, really thick ribs.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i would have seared and then braised a rib that thin. that is just asking to dry out. was that the problem?

the pictures are incredible. wonderful color with the peppers.

Maiar_m

It dried out ^^ I seared it and I didn't know about braising, but I did diverge from the original recipe (which wanted me to let it cook in the frying pan). After searing, I put it in the oven, in a baking tray filled with the marinade. But that wasn't enough - I should have covered it. Next time I'll buy my ribs from the butcher's.

Oh and thanks about the pictures!

CRS

I'll be serving a weird combination of food for friends tomorrow, BBQ Tri-Tip and Tacos de Lengua (Beef Tongue)! I'll try to take pictures throughout the whole process.

MrBig said:
If you're looking for a good introduction to baking I recommend the Tassajara Bread book by Ed Brown. I've been using his recipes and technique for over a decade now. And in fact right now I'm eating an incredible light rye that I made two weekends ago.

beelzebozo said:
late to mention this, but my pizza made the MY PIE MONDAY slideshow on slice.seriouseats.com.

the closest i'll ever get to winning an oscar.
Nice, congrats! Truly, there is no better love than that between mushrooms and butter. Except maybe when there's a menage a trois with garlic. We make a decent udon noodle here at the house and I'm always psyched when my daughters fight over the mushrooms in it.

Took my first stab at making kimchi the other week:

http://infinite-monkeys.org/michael/misc/first-kimchi.png

That was quite an interesting experience, mostly because I think I had twice as much paste as I needed. It's been awesome making kimchi fried rice with, and I've been using the leftover paste by adding it to canned kimchi to make it Not Suck(tm).

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made pulled pork sandwiches with homemade pickled red onions and habanero tomato sauce yesterday.
nWAKml.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom