• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Zyzyxxz said:
Was the shoulder sitting in a bath of some sort of liquid? If it was just sitting in the open then it was likely going to dry out. Most of the time I see people fill up a roasting pan part way with stock or some sort liquid and then cover the should and pan with aluminum foil.

a crock pot or slow cooker makes for amazing pulled pork, if you have access to one...

Zyzyxxz said:
Was the shoulder sitting in a bath of some sort of liquid? If it was just sitting in the open then it was likely going to dry out. Most of the time I see people fill up a roasting pan part way with stock or some sort liquid and then cover the should and pan with aluminum foil.

yes, i had it in a bath. The pork came out really moist after the second time in the oven. I reused the stock from the first attempt and it worked out really well.

magnificent83 said:
Lasagna, first time cooking it and neglected to add a top layer of sauce and paid the price with a crispy top layer.

I did the same thing my first time making lasagna! But never again. Never again!

Good god I hate auto-complete and am an Idiot---here I thought the forum had been down the past couple weeks for maintenance. I was going crazy from lack of GAF and now have Sooo much catching up to do...

6NZMF.jpg

Ballyshannon for Cheese
Lundberg Family Farms Rice Chips Sesame Seaweed

I can't say if these chips are truly an indication, but Seaweed might well be damn delicious on pizza at least via these awesome chips! The Ballyshannon continues the tradition of quick melting, smooth, delicious Irish cheese---though this one tends to want to brown up a bit overly so when doing any longer cooking pizzas.

M2vJX.jpg

The same cheese, but now with the Abbruzze meat topping and Kettle Brand TIAS! Zesty Ranch for the crumble---a really good chip that somewhat reminds me of a better Cooler Ranch with a Garlic kick. The meat was about as described with a nice taste!

MrBig

I couldn't imagine eating seaweed in any form on a pizza :lol

Best place to buy largeish containers of Vanilla in the US that doesn't cost a fortune?

MrBig said:

Best place to buy largeish containers of Vanilla in the US that doesn't cost a fortune?

Heh, it added an odd "refreshing" component to it....almost like an herb.

For Vanilla in that situation...eep....best shot is the likes of a Marshall's or some other place that has random food/kitchenware fare alongside their clothes and whatnot. Granted, the bottles tend to not be all that discounted, but it is a couple bucks more than usual.

Otherwise, Costco/Sam's Club/BJ's/insert any giant warehouse place here.

Edit: I should say this is just based on Extract...I've not seen the Vanilla Paste that apparently exists at least via an Australian Cooking Show in Australia nor a jar of pods or some such.

MrBig said:

Do you live in LA? There's a restaurant supply store called Surfa's in Culver City that has giant bottles of vanilla extract (the Mexican kind) that's a decent deal. We bought a bottle from them years ago and am still using it...

MrBig

nakedsushi said:
Do you live in LA? There's a restaurant supply store called Surfa's in Culver City that has giant bottles of vanilla extract (the Mexican kind) that's a decent deal. We bought a bottle from them years ago and am still using it...
No, Florida. That's exactly what I'm looking for though. I had a big bottle from Mexico that I used for years. Stuff you can buy in grocery stores here is expensive, small, and doesn't taste nearly as good.

Atlantic

Made a pasta with

artichoke hearts
sun dried tomatoes
italian sausage
sage and thyme
fennel seed
arugula

I bought some sage just 'cuz I've been in an herb rut. Spent too much time in comfortable waters. Had the rest ready and it just felt right.

Nothing different in preparation - meat - garlic, chili - veg - herb.

it's all gone and I didn't take any photos, looks like you'd imagine though - stuff with pasta.

Still a bunch of uncooked sausage left over though and I'm kinda burnt out. It's already been frozen/defrosted so it's gotta get some use. Anything outside italian cuisine I can use my italian sausage for?

I got a question concerning some asian sauces, hopefully some of you will know what to do XD

I've invited some family over on saturday and will make them some food. For the appetizer I've chosen to make summe rolls. Now I've never made summer rolls before, and certainly not the dipping sauces you use.

I've bought a Hoisin sauce and a Nuoc Cham(soya bean curd sauce) sauce, both of them are bottled.

Now my question is: Can I just pour the sauces directly from the bottles, or will I have to heat them up?

Thanks for saving my face in front of my family.

Metroid Killer said:
I got a question concerning some asian sauces, hopefully some of you will know what to do XD

I've invited some family over on saturday and will make them some food. For the appetizer I've chosen to make summe rolls. Now I've never made summer rolls before, and certainly not the dipping sauces you use.

I've bought a Hoisin sauce and a Nuoc Cham(soya bean curd sauce) sauce, both of them are bottled.

Now my question is: Can I just pour the sauces directly from the bottles, or will I have to heat them up?

I eat Hoisin sauce almost daily (for practically my whole life), and I never heat up the sauce at all. It's fine to eat it directly from the bottle. It's like ketchup.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
That pork loin turned out great. Mage a guava sauce for it, had it with a salad and some chilean pinot noir.

Tonight, the girlfriend cooks lasagna!~

Emperor Bohe said:
I eat Hoisin sauce almost daily (for practically my whole life), and I never heat up the sauce at all. It's fine to eat it directly from the bottle. It's like ketchup.
Awesome! thanks for the fast reply. I love making food from other countries since you learn so much new stuff everytime.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Can I get your recipe for the soup? :p
Sure! :D

Ingredients:
about a cup of seasoning bacon (basically bacon ends, you can use normal bacon if you want)
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
about 1/2 cup of chopped celery
6 large cloves of garlic, minced
two russet potatoes, cubed
1 tsp. dried thyme
ground black pepper to taste
water (you can also use broth but keep in mind the bacon is already salty)
about 3/4 cup cashews (or whatever nuts you have on hand or prefer)
about 1-1/2 cup of shredded cheese (your preference, cheddar and smoked Gouda work well)
1 cup heavy cream

1. Crisp bacon in pot (I use a nonstick pot so it just makes cleanup easier later). Set aside to cool a bit.

2. Throw the onion and celery into the pot with the remaining bacon grease and sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft (about 5-10 minutes depending on your stove top). Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two. Then add the thyme and black pepper.

3. Throw in the potatoes and stir thoroughly. Turn the heat up to medium high and add water until it just covers all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer at low heat for about 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

4. Blend cashews for a just a few seconds - you can ladle a scoop or two of the broth from the pot to help with the blending. Now blend about 3/4 of the soup. I like my soup a little chunky but if you want it more creamy feel free to throw it all in.

5. Return soup to the pot and raise to medium high heat. Add about 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir well. Now add the heavy cream and reduce to a simmer. Be careful not to bring to a boil or cream will break and curdle.

6. Scoop soup into a bowl and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Crumble bacon over the soup and you are ready to eat! :D

MrBig

Emperor Bohe said:
Do you eat Pandan then? From what I've read it's a more neutral form of Vanilla that can be used with almost anything. Just asking because I can get gallon bottles for $8 at a store near me.

I've never heard of it before, seems to be an asian only thing, but the plant grows well where I am.

Metroid Killer said:

For summer rolls (we're talking about the ones with the soft, rice-paper wrapper, right?) the dipping sauce is usually this thickish peanut-buttery sauce. My mom's family (Chinese by way of Vietnam) uses smooth skippy peanut butter and nuoc cham for it. Then dilute it a little with water to keep it from getting too salty. I think it's basically peanut butter, nuoc cham, and sugar.

edit: the consistency of the sauce should be thicker than just nuoc cham, but thinner than something like alfredo sauce or nacho cheese, if that helps.

nakedsushi said:
For summer rolls (we're talking about the ones with the soft, rice-paper wrapper, right?) the dipping sauce is usually this thickish peanut-buttery sauce. My mom's family (Chinese by way of Vietnam) uses smooth skippy peanut butter and nuoc cham for it. Then dilute it a little with water to keep it from getting too salty. I think it's basically peanut butter, nuoc cham, and sugar.

edit: the consistency of the sauce should be thicker than just nuoc cham, but thinner than something like alfredo sauce or nacho cheese, if that helps.
Good to know :) Thanks!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
rykomatsu said:
My copy of moderist cuisine appears to have shipped!

50% discount at B&N and still squeaked out a first edition :-D
YOU LUCKY DEVIL!
please post a few pics and impressions once it has arrived.

dyonPT, nice presentation. please share the recipe as well.

MrBig

Looks like an excellent Chili, but I find the best way to enjoy it is to eat it like a manwich

Currently in the process of concocting my own seasoning with a breadcrumb base, and just about all of it is coming from home grown herbs. Even made a label :lol
IMG_8472.jpg

I just harvested all the ingredients this morning and they're drying now

O4i8W.jpg

OK, while the cheese/meat are from last week: The Crumble is some Kettle Brand Chip Loaded Baked Potato(pretty awesome, if strange chip---kind of cheddar/chive'ish with something else I can't quite place...sour cream maybe...)

More importantly, as there was little new to try: now is the time to get MESSY and AROMATIC! How you ask?

A load of the now Blackened Jerk Seasoning and then an overly liberal application(I tried to control it, really, but we kinda broke the opening in a weird way the first time we used it those month back) of cold Hemp Oil right when it was piping hot out of the oven! So gooood~

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Oh, just saw that IronGAF has passed the 600,000 views mark :)

Made Kebabs form beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin and turkey breast
:
110501Mix005800x600.jpg

Yo Dawg, I heard you like BBQ, so I put a Grill on your Grill so you can Grill while yadda yadda yadda ;)

110501Mix009800x600.jpg

110501Mix010800x600.jpg

was too lazy to ignite the big one and was too lazy to kneel in front of the small one.

rykomatsu

OnkelC said:
was too lazy to ignite the big one and was too lazy to kneel in front of the small one.

Might I interest you in a Japanese shichirin? We use them quite a bit as a table-top bbq :p

Not too terribly large, though...largest I've seen manages about 10~12 skewers at a time...

MrBig

OnkelC said:
that label made me laugh.
Just made this up in photoshop and printed it out on Post It Note photo paper. It's about as thick as cardstock and will probably last a long time.
specialsauce.jpg

Pizza dough is rising for tonight

rezuth

OnkelC said:
Oh, just saw that IronGAF has passed the 600,000 views mark :)

Made Kebabs form beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin and turkey breast
:
110501Mix005800x600.jpg

What did you do with the meat before grilling?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
rezuth said:
What did you do with the meat before grilling?
Turkey: marinated in yoghurt with sweet chili sauce, ketchup and garlic
Pork marinated in olive oil with sea salt, ground white pepper, rosemary, oregano and a hint of paprika
beef marinated in coarse ground black pepper, sea salt, olive oil and garlic

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wow, looking fantastic as always, MrBig! I hope you keep some extra sauce around for those eye-poppingly huge crusts.

MrBig

Cosmic Bus said:
Wow, looking fantastic as always, MrBig! I hope you keep some extra sauce around for those eye-poppingly huge crusts.
Cheese filled, with olive oil for dipping ;)
Thanks

tri_willy

its been a while since ive posted something here... but alas i make my small time return

DSC_0291.jpg

roast pork, salt and pepper eggplant/aubergine and mapo tofu with chicken

enjoy!

tri_willy said:
roast pork, salt and pepper eggplant/aubergine and mapo tofu with chicken
Nice presentation! And huzzah for eggplant. It's finally turned into spring here in Maine so we got the table and chairs out back and unpacked the grill, so it's time to start roasting eggplants every few days. Charred and scraped for baba ghanoush and baingan bharta, I'm pretty stoked.

This weekend was pretty sedate with so much yard work. Fresh pesto and tapenade on fresh mozzarella, and Sunday was bread making day so worked on my summer rye recipe a bit. Used maple syrup instead of honey because a friend is allergic, turned out fine and had no mapley taste. Other pro tip I learned was that caraway seeds are almost exactly 10x cheaper in bulk than in bottles. The spice aisle is like a hilarious example of information asymmetry in economics...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Made a couple of quick veggie salads today.

rk2ss.jpg

On the left: shredded red cabbage, carrot, scallion, bacon and parsley with a mustard and ginger vinaigrette.

On the right: edamame, mango and roasted peppers with a light dressing made of a little orange juice, olive oil, red pepper flake, basil and a pinch of cardamom.

Had them with some extra bacon and a couple of hard boiled eggs.

rykomatsu

Modernist Cuisine get!

First off...it's heavy...I'm guessing the packaging was about 6-10lbs, and the rest of it was the cookbooks and case at 35~40lbs. Double-boxed with the inner box "suspended" with corrugated-ish box corners. The inner box had slats/liners inside it which surrounded the case as well. Unbelievably well packed. There was some damage to the bottom of my box, but it only dinged the outside of the inner box. Still had about another 1~1.5" of protection.

Each volume is a little larger than one of Thomas Keller's book. The photos are drop dead gorgeous (my pictures don't do them justice) and the text is very approachable by most folks. The authors did an excellent job of content composition. I'm busy through Thurs/Fri so probably won't get much of a chance to start reading, but what I've read thus far was extremely informative. If you're a scientist at heart...you will enjoy it, though it doesn't go into heavy granularity when it comes to details (makes sense).

At $230, I'm extremely ecstatic at the quality (and the fact that it's a first run print)...even at $460, I would have been very happy, but the 50% off deal @ Barnes & Noble really made my day :) I'll share some tidbits as I crawl through these texts as I'm sure OnkelC will too in due time.

rk_modernist_01.jpg

rk_modernist_02.jpg

rk_modernist_03.jpg

rk_modernist_04.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
rykomatsu, thanks a bunch for the first impressions! Still no delivery date on Amazon.de, and other bookstores are charging up to 600EUR / 900USD for it :(
I am looking forward to your thorough review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom