• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Cosmic Bus said:
Random question: has anyone made their own marshmallows before, and do you think there's any reason why it wouldn't work with milk (specifically coconut milk) instead of water?

I know this question is old but I just happened to see it and I don't think you got an answer. I've made my own marshmallows before yes. Huge pain in the ass. I made them to give as a gift though, otherwise I wouldn't bother, it's not really worth it. It's really impressive as a gift though because I don't think a lot of people realize you can make your own marshmallows.

I don't know what the scientific term for the function of the water is exactly, I think it's to kind of keep things chillin before they can all combine at a high enough heat. The water eventually boils away though, so you probably wouldn't want to to use any kind of milk. The final temperature is 240.

thespot84

Borgnine said:
I know this question is old but I just happened to see it and I don't think you got an answer. I've made my own marshmallows before yes. Huge pain in the ass. I made them to give as a gift though, otherwise I wouldn't bother, it's not really worth it. It's really impressive as a gift though because I don't think a lot of people realize you can make your own marshmallows.

I don't know what the scientific term for the function of the water is exactly, I think it's to kind of keep things chillin before they can all combine at a high enough heat. The water eventually boils away though, so you probably wouldn't want to to use any kind of milk. The final temperature is 240.

I think you're way above scorched milk temp there, even if you were to heat it really slowly, I would just stick with water.

Alucrid

Banned
Akim said:
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pre-bake:

http://i.imgur.com/R6oNE.jpg[IMG]

Done:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nrILA.jpg[IMG]

Inside

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/j15px.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I saw the last image and I thought they were smore bars. I need to make smore bars...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Borgnine said:

Yeah, I'm aware of the fuss involved, but they would be made as a gift so it's something I'd at least consider trying.

Regarding the milk, the recipe I'm potentially working from involves sugar syrup (made at 250° which is definitely too much for milk) but also a portion of gelatin dissolved in warm water, and that's where I was thinking of substituting the coconut milk since the syrup doesn't get blended in until it's cooled. All the recipes for coconut marshmallows I've found are just plain or vanilla flavored with shredded coconut rolled onto the outside, and I just want to have the flavor infused in the marshmallow itself without the textural difference. Maybe I'll have to try doing a small batch sometime soon to satisfy my curiosity.

daw840

I thought I would turn to the connoisseurs here at IronGAF as I have been having problems lately with my grilling skills. I'll just come out and say it, even though it pains me as a man.

I suck at grilling chicken and pork chops.

They always come out tough! For pork chops I usually get butterfly boneless cuts and for chicken it's just the regular Costco boneless skinless breasts. I don't have much of a technique for pork chops. Last night I cooked them on medium-high heat. I cook for 4 minutes then flip, 4 minutes then flip, 4 minutes then flip, 4 minutes flip, and then pull them off. Once off I put them on a plate, cover in foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Am I doing something wrong here?

For Chicken, I usually let them thaw the night before so they are completely thawed by the time I get off work. After I get off work I pound them out a little with the spikey side of a hammer and then marinade them with any of the store bought marinades for 2-3 hours and throw them on the grill at room temp. Again, similar to the pork chops. They get flipped 3 times at 4-5 minute intervals and taken off and allowed to rest under some foil. I do these on a little lower heat than the chops though.

IronGAF, tell me what I am doing wrong. I am sure that my technique is terrible and don't feel bad for insulting it (this is GAF after all.) I just would really like to know how to perfect this.

Stalfos

daw840, what exactly is wrong with your chops and chicken? Are they coming out too dry or something? I don't necessarily see anything wrong with your method, though I'm not sure why you are flipping multiple times instead of just once. You are resting the meat afterwards as you should and that should help retain moisture. Maybe try resting a little longer? 5 minutes doesn't seem like much.

thespot84

Cosmic Bus said:
Yeah, I'm aware of the fuss involved, but they would be made as a gift so it's something I'd at least consider trying.

Regarding the milk, the recipe I'm potentially working from involves sugar syrup (made at 250° which is definitely too much for milk) but also a portion of gelatin dissolved in warm water, and that's where I was thinking of substituting the coconut milk since the syrup doesn't get blended in until it's cooled. All the recipes for coconut marshmallows I've found are just plain or vanilla flavored with shredded coconut rolled onto the outside, and I just want to have the flavor infused in the marshmallow itself without the textural difference. Maybe I'll have to try doing a small batch sometime soon to satisfy my curiosity.

Interesting problem. I'm guessing, but coconut milk probably has a different sugar/protein makeup from milk (i had assumed cows milk, where lactose might be the offender). And there may also be techniques for removing those proteins that burn at low temps like scalding.

It sounds like the temp for the gelatin won't be as high as 250, so i'd say why not, try a small batch. (and report back, of course :)

daw840

Stalfos said:
daw840, what exactly is wrong with your chops and chicken? Are they coming out too dry or something? I don't necessarily see anything wrong with your method, though I'm not sure why you are flipping multiple times instead of just once. You are resting the meat afterwards as you should and that should help retain moisture. Maybe try resting a little longer? 5 minutes doesn't seem like much.

Well, they just always turn out tough.

daw840

thespot84 said:
how much time do you have for prep? you could consider brining...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/200446/good-eats-ring-of-fire-grilled-chicken

and yes i realize i'm poking a bees nest with alton brown but he has some good basic ideas in there

Well, I do want to try this brining thing, my buddy suggested it to me today as I have been asking around for tips outside of GAF (shocking, I know!) but I just don't have time tonight. I will definitely try this next time I make chicken. Tonight I used a lemon pepper 30 minute marinade from the store. I am giving it more than 30 mins though.

Tom Penny

These are some of the best cook books. Really good recipes and techniques. I highly recommend any of them.

IZGk.jpg

Stalfos

daw840 said:
It could be a couple of things. First thing that I can think of is that you are cooking them too long. You mentioned that you buy the butterflied chops and you pound your chicken. So are they fairly thin to start with? If you meat is a thin cut or pounded thin then its not going to need much time to cook. The other thing I can think of is that your marinade may be contributing to the toughness. If there is acidity to the marinade then it can toughen the meat, especially at longer marinade times. You could try marinating for less than 2 hours.

rykomatsu

daw840 said:
Well, I do want to try this brining thing, my buddy suggested it to me today as I have been asking around for tips outside of GAF (shocking, I know!) but I just don't have time tonight. I will definitely try this next time I make chicken. Tonight I used a lemon pepper 30 minute marinade from the store. I am giving it more than 30 mins though.

Poor Man's sous vide.

Take an ice chest
Fill with hot water (~142 to 146oC...you'll need to play around with adding hot water and adjusting temp...the more water you have, the less the temp will drop when you place the chicken in.)
Take chicken, put in ziploc bag w/ seasoning
Place bag (open) into hot water above
As the bag goes down, squeeze air out of bag...when you can't get anymore air out w/o getting water in the bag, zip it nicely shut.
Put underwater for about 1hr with a weight
After 1hr, take out of bag and sear it

I guarantee it will be the most succulent and juicy chicken you will have ever had...it's more work than usual (sous vide is usually much easier with a temperature controlled water bath) but imho worth the time and effort.

daw840

rykomatsu said:
Poor Man's sous vide.

Take an ice chest
Fill with hot water (~142 to 146oC...you'll need to play around with adding hot water and adjusting temp...the more water you have, the less the temp will drop when you place the chicken in.)
Take chicken, put in ziploc bag w/ seasoning
Place bag (open) into hot water above
As the bag goes down, squeeze air out of bag...when you can't get anymore air out w/o getting water in the bag, zip it nicely shut.
Put underwater for about 1hr with a weight
After 1hr, take out of bag and sear it

I guarantee it will be the most succulent and juicy chicken you will have ever had...it's more work than usual (sous vide is usually much easier with a temperature controlled water bath) but imho worth the time and effort.

Sear in a pan or on the grill?

Either way it sounds good. What kind of seasoning, or does it even matter?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
daw840 said:
I thought I would turn to the connoisseurs here at IronGAF as I have been having problems lately with my grilling skills. I'll just come out and say it, even though it pains me as a man.

They always come out tough! For pork chops I usually get butterfly boneless cuts and for chicken it's just the regular Costco boneless skinless breasts. I don't have much of a technique for pork chops. Last night I cooked them on medium-high heat. I cook for 4 minutes then flip, 4 minutes then flip, 4 minutes then flip, 4 minutes flip, and then pull them off. Once off I put them on a plate, cover in foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Am I doing something wrong here?

For Chicken, I usually let them thaw the night before so they are completely thawed by the time I get off work. After I get off work I pound them out a little with the spikey side of a hammer and then marinade them with any of the store bought marinades for 2-3 hours and throw them on the grill at room temp. Again, similar to the pork chops. They get flipped 3 times at 4-5 minute intervals and taken off and allowed to rest under some foil. I do these on a little lower heat than the chops though.

IronGAF, tell me what I am doing wrong. I am sure that my technique is terrible and don't feel bad for insulting it (this is GAF after all.) I just would really like to know how to perfect this.

I's say cooking pork chops for 16 minutes will turn them tough and chewy. Won't they be pretty thin if you butterfly them?
Either try just browning on both sides and then into the oven at ~150 degrees celsius for 5-10 minutes and then let rest under foil, or cook them for a shorter time.

Zyzyxxz

daw840 said:

brine and cook for less time, especially if you are pounding the shit out of your meat you are also beating out the juice/sauce (end cue homo references).

First of all try brining your pork and chicken in different containers with salt and sugar and whatever spices you like its best to boil water and add the sugar, salt and spices to let the flavors really get infused into the water.

After you brine the chops and chicken it should retain moisture much better but don't butterfly your chops, are you afraid of undercooking them? You gotta be a little riskier with your cooking if you want the rewards, sear and bake like a steak is an easy way to prevent severely overcooked exterior of the meat.

Although I cook for a living and work with the best equipment we can buy I've made awesome steaks out of nothing but a cheap cast iron pan and a toaster oven at home.

Also feel your meat as you cook thats the best way to learn, if it feels tough it will be tough but if its slightly firm and resistant then its probably cooked medium.

klee123

Hey all, finally wanted to post in this thread becuase I wanted answer for daw840. Mainly been a long time reader of this thread, but have never contributed to this thread. I do have a passion for cooking, but yeah, will definitely need to get a new digital camera to post some pics.

daw840 said:
ing

Well, what I usually do may not be what you're looking for, but I figured I should try to share this anyways.

What I usually do with pork chops is that I use a meat tenderizer to loosen the pork chops and then marinate them before I pan fry them.

If you don't have access to a meat tenderizer, butterflying the porkchops is recommended too.

The marinade I typically use the porkchops is:

Soy sauce (Japanese soy is the best for this)
1-2 teaspoons of sugar (depending on how much pork chops you're preparing)
A splash of cooking/White Wine
Minced Garlic
Minced Ginger
1-2 teaspoons of corn flour

Marinate it for a few hours and then pan fry/grill them. The pork chops usually come out very tender for me.

This is typically the Asian way of preparing pork chops and the best thing about it is that it's flavoursome enough to have on its own. I also use this marinade for preparing chicken wings for Barbecues.

7aged

Hey guys,

I received a big ass pile of swiss chard this week (I'm signed up to one of those weekly vegetable boxes). I have no clue what to do with it (never used it before). Any tips/recommendations?

Zyzyxxz

7aged said:
Hey guys,

I received a big ass pile of swiss chard this week (I'm signed up to one of those weekly vegetable boxes). I have no clue what to do with it (never used it before). Any tips/recommendations?

Braise it with beans or lentils or saute it

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
you could make a delicious chard carbonara from it. boil spaghetti or pasta of choice. cube a handful of bacon, wash the chard, separate the white part from the green leaves, cube the white parts and sautee them together with the bacon. then add the leaves, let them collapse. Mix up a few eggs with grated parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper, add a clove of garlic if you dig it, mix the spaghetti into the skillet with the chars/bacon, pour the eggs over it and savour.

daw840

Well, I think that I have figured out what I fucked up on with the chicken. I cooked it on a MUCH lower heat setting for about the same amount of time and they were delicious last night. Super tender in comparison. I think I could still do better. Next time I am going to try some of the suggestions here.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
daw840 said:
Well, I think that I have figured out what I fucked up on with the chicken. I cooked it on a MUCH lower heat setting for about the same amount of time and they were delicious last night. Super tender in comparison. I think I could still do better. Next time I am going to try some of the suggestions here.

2 heat zone cooking.

Keep a hot section of the grill, and a cooler section.

Get your color hot and fast on both sides, then move them to the cooler side and let them relax and come up to temperature.

daw840

SnakeXs said:
2 heat zone cooking.

Keep a hot section of the grill, and a cooler section.

Get your color hot and fast on both sides, then move them to the cooler side and let them relax and come up to temperature.

Hmmm, I could definitely do that. I have a 3 zone grill. I guess I would keep the back really hot and then the front and middle at a lower temp. Will try that next time.

Speculate me this IronGAF: I quite enjoyed my time with my Tiger Tiger Tandoori Paste upon pizza and various other things I incorporated it into. From a quick look the other day, the same company appears to have some Vindaloo and Tikka Something(Can't remember the second word...Marsala maybe...)

Now, like the Tandoori before it, I have zero experience nor expectations for these concoctions---what can I reasonably expect to be getting into should I grab one or both bottles? They are each somewhat pricy same as everything the company puts out, but that's par for the course for over the top Organic/natural/etc that doesn't insult my intelligence like the other damn "high end" brands putting damned food colorings in their other offerings.... For some reason, I'm mildly drawn towards trying the Vindaloo first, but I don't know why.

Also: Finally got a pizza pan! Granted, it isn't one of the ones I'd been expecting---but at least the thing is a flat 12in diameter which has got the help somewhat. Gonna give it a whirl early next week...

OnkelC said:
you could make a delicious chard carbonara from it. boil spaghetti or pasta of choice. cube a handful of bacon, wash the chard, separate the white part from the green leaves, cube the white parts and sautee them together with the bacon. then add the leaves, let them collapse. Mix up a few eggs with grated parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper, add a clove of garlic if you dig it, mix the spaghetti into the skillet with the chars/bacon, pour the eggs over it and savour.

Great idea! I have some chard growing in the backyard that should be big enough to eat next week and carbonara sounds like a great way to eat them.

7aged

OnkelC said:

Cheers for the suggestion. I'll have a go this weekend.

What should I make for dinner IronGaf? Preferably nothing too difficult as I'm not a great cook. (as opposed to so many people here who make me jealous by posting pictures of restaurant caliber food)

I want flautas but deep frying stuff scares me. Perhaps enchiladas.

Axion22

Attempted street tacos for cinco de mayo.

tumblr_lkr9o8XZYL1qdia8mo1_500.jpg

This was completely improvised while I was in the grocery store. 2 lbs. of carne picada + this stuff. I don't have a grill, so I foiled up a baking sheet and spread the meat out all over it. I checked it to dump collected juices (to simulate the effect of having a broiler pan) after about 5 minutes under the broiler and finished it off for 5 more minutes.

My snobby SoCal tastbuds could barely tell the difference.

I was in a hurry so I just wrapped the tortillas in foil and put them on the bottom oven rack for long enough to get warm. I should have anticipated they'd come out looking/feeling steamed. Next time I'll take the time to heat them on some iron.

The cheese was pre-shredded Mexican blend, the rice is pre-mixed, as was the seasoning for the guacamole. Just add two ripe avocados. The hot sauce is Tapatio. :)

Zyzyxxz

Sorry for the massive wall of photos but I've been too lazy to edit and upload pics.

A few experimentations, first I was interested in a dish of roast chicken stuffed with glutinous rice after having a very disappointing "Buddha's chicken" at this place called Duck House in my area. It involves basically stuffing a rice dish called "lo mai fan" which basically means mixed rice inside a chicken and roasting it. I decided to take it one step further by deboning the chicken.

5694822204_57c1dd6148_b.jpg

5694248967_43f239aacb_b.jpg

saved the bones for to flavor a vegetable dish
5694822514_de1d8e6c67_b.jpg

Yeah look at that fat bitch all tied and oiled up and doublestuffed, sorry working in a kitchen has only made me more perverse.
5694249135_f3504e3f87_b.jpg

Final product, meat was moist and I made plenty of rice to be served outside it, to be honest the rice doesn't add all that much but the dish is meant to be a impressive from a technical standpoint I suppose.
5694822662_9a3ff77caf_b.jpg

Some lamb strip steak I bought, its cut from the rack so it has no bones. It was so very good. Sorry for no finished product.
5694822774_c1a0243437_b.jpg

Razor clams, I've never cooked them and seeing them live at the market made me get all hard and bothered.
5694822914_d2d24c80d3_b.jpg

Cooked them in the traditional black bean sauce and a wok but since it was my first time cooking them I didn't know how long to cook them and thus they were sadly overcooked.
5694249929_ce935664e9_b.jpg

Some frozen softshell crabs were on sale too so I decided to give them a go.
5694823076_8c0c189210_b.jpg

Nothing like a deep fried crablet, it had a nice briny flavor too! It would go so well over some type of salad or light slaw.
5694250097_7eb995efb6_b.jpg

Questions, comments, concerns are welcomed!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zyzyxxz said:
Yeah look at that fat bitch all tied and oiled up and doublestuffed.

...seeing them live at the market made me get all hard and bothered.

Well then. ;)

I've wanted to try soft-shelled crab, but haven't seen any for sale here. They might be available down at the marketplace near the water, so a special visit could be in order; I'm usually walking around for a while if I go there, and carrying around fresh fish during a sunny afternoon isn't the most tantalizing prospect.

7aged

Zyzyxxz said:
Yeah look at that fat bitch all tied and oiled up and doublestuffed, sorry working in a kitchen has only made me more perverse.

Final product, meat was moist and I made plenty of rice to be served outside it, to be honest the rice doesn't add all that much but the dish is meant to be a impressive from a technical standpoint I suppose.
Did you de-glaze the fuck out of that roasting pan, then serve it with some creme fraiche?

In all seriousness that looks good.

Zyzyxxz said:
Some frozen softshell crabs were on sale too so I decided to give them a go.

Nothing like a deep fried crablet, it had a nice briny flavor too! It would go so well over some type of salad or light slaw.

How did you season it? I'm thinking a bit of chilli would go nicely.

HiResDes

Cosmic Bus said:
Well then. ;)

I've wanted to try soft-shelled crab, but haven't seen any for sale here. They might be available down at the marketplace near the water, so a special visit could be in order; I'm usually walking around for a while if I go there, and carrying around fresh fish during a sunny afternoon isn't the most tantalizing prospect.
The deep fried soft-shelled crab at Pappadeaux is scrumptious.

tri_willy said:
its been a while since ive posted something here... but alas i make my small time return

DSC_0291.jpg

roast pork, salt and pepper eggplant/aubergine and mapo tofu with chicken

enjoy!

May I ask please for the recipes for your salt and pepper eggplant and roast pork? What cut of pork did you use?

If you can only choose one recipe, the salt and pepper eggplant please.

thanks. :)

Zyzyxxz

7aged said:
Did you de-glaze the fuck out of that roasting pan, then serve it with some creme fraiche?

In all seriousness that looks good.

How did you season it? I'm thinking a bit of chilli would go nicely.

Nope didn't deglaze it as all there was left was grease and not much in terms of juices.

As for the softshell crabs I only coated them in potato starch, salt, pepper and served it with Japanese curry.

Awesome muffins dyonPT! What kind of chocolate did you use? In my limited experience thus far, Ghirardelli seems to work uncannily well for such things...

dyonPT

ElectricThunder said:
Awesome muffins dyonPT! What kind of chocolate did you use? In my limited experience thus far, Ghirardelli seems to work uncannily well for such things...

I used this for the muffins:
5695573043_76f577956d.jpg

and this to put inside the muffin:
101_chocolateleiteinteiros.bmp

rykomatsu

I spent a few hours on yesterday and today reading through bits and pieces of Modernist Cuisine. If I were to summarize it in one word..."amazing" is all I can say...

Cookbooks generally tell you "this is what you do", but don't go into the details of "this is why you do it". If you want to understand the underlying science of cooking, then this will grip your interest and not let you go. How to increase the rate of Maillard reactions and why it increases, how to choose a crustacean based on coloration and why that's important, why freshly caught fish tastes significantly different in some cases from fish that's only a day or two old, etc.

Admittedly, a lot of the explanations within make complete sense and are in my encyclopedia of knowledge in my head due to my science background...I just never thought to associate it with cooking. Take for example the fish mentioned above...when something dies, biology still keeps happening. Fish caught and prepared immediately hasn't had rigor mortis set in much; the enzymes just started their enzymatic process only moments ago. By cooking, you stop a lot of these processes. In some cases, the enzymatic process is very rapid and is the reason why some fish taste so different (blue trout was the given example) only a day apart. This, I assume, is the reason why Japan (and I'm sure other cultures) have preparations of fish which are considered "fisherman's privilages" as you can't get fresher than a fisherman catching, then immediately preparing a fish.

The recipes are written in parametric form and are listed in a weight to weight format with a specific ingredient acting as 100%. So...say eggs (both yolk and whites) are listed at 100% and chives at 5%, the recipe lists a set of weights...100g of eggs and 5 g of chives...so even if you start off with some odd mass...say 121g, you can easily calculate the mass of chives to use as 6.05g (or 6g). Much more precise than using volumes.

Some of the semi-downside. The equipment you need...reading through the recipes, I think the bare minimum you need are:
Sous Vide apparatus
Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Homogenizer
Pressure cooker

There are definitely recipes in there that can be done without those, but Myrhvold originally started collating information on Sous Vide before Modernist Cuisine was conceptualized and it really shows. Also, a lot of vacuum sealing with liquids so a chamber vacuum is a must. I'll probably consider a low end model for Christmas later this year or after tax returns next year if the fiance allows it :) (she enjoys my cooking, so I think I can squeeze it past her)

The section on additives for foams, gels, and emulsions is also very thorough...looking forward to start cooking from the book once classes finish for the summer in a bit over a month :)

Zyzyxxz

rykomatsu said:
I spent a few hours on yesterday and today reading through bits and pieces of Modernist Cuisine. If I were to summarize it in one word..."amazing" is all I can say...

Cookbooks generally tell you "this is what you do", but don't go into the details of "this is why you do it". If you want to understand the underlying science of cooking, then this will grip your interest and not let you go. How to increase the rate of Maillard reactions and why it increases, how to choose a crustacean based on coloration and why that's important, why freshly caught fish tastes significantly different in some cases from fish that's only a day or two old, etc.

Admittedly, a lot of the explanations within make complete sense and are in my encyclopedia of knowledge in my head due to my science background...I just never thought to associate it with cooking. Take for example the fish mentioned above...when something dies, biology still keeps happening. Fish caught and prepared immediately hasn't had rigor mortis set in much; the enzymes just started their enzymatic process only moments ago. By cooking, you stop a lot of these processes. In some cases, the enzymatic process is very rapid and is the reason why some fish taste so different (blue trout was the given example) only a day apart. This, I assume, is the reason why Japan (and I'm sure other cultures) have preparations of fish which are considered "fisherman's privilages" as you can't get fresher than a fisherman catching, then immediately preparing a fish.

The recipes are written in parametric form and are listed in a weight to weight format with a specific ingredient acting as 100%. So...say eggs (both yolk and whites) are listed at 100% and chives at 5%, the recipe lists a set of weights...100g of eggs and 5 g of chives...so even if you start off with some odd mass...say 121g, you can easily calculate the mass of chives to use as 6.05g (or 6g). Much more precise than using volumes.

Some of the semi-downside. The equipment you need...reading through the recipes, I think the bare minimum you need are:
Sous Vide apparatus
Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Homogenizer
Pressure cooker

There are definitely recipes in there that can be done without those, but Myrhvold originally started collating information on Sous Vide before Modernist Cuisine was conceptualized and it really shows. Also, a lot of vacuum sealing with liquids so a chamber vacuum is a must. I'll probably consider a low end model for Christmas later this year or after tax returns next year if the fiance allows it :) (she enjoys my cooking, so I think I can squeeze it past her)

The section on additives for foams, gels, and emulsions is also very thorough...looking forward to start cooking from the book once classes finish for the summer in a bit over a month :)

even low end chamber sealers are expensive as hell, I remember a user in this thread purchased a chinese one for around $400. I worry about it being cheap though and maintenance can be expensive. I use one everyday at work and when we need to change the sealing strip that special tape costs $60 for enough to replace it twice.

Flynn

rykomatsu said:

Sous Vide apparatus
Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Homogenizer
Pressure cooker

I use the Presto 4 quart pressure cooker -- about $40 from Amazon. Replacement parts are cheap.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
OneEightZero said:
...you do realize you folks are approaching post 10,000, right? ^_^
I'd appreciate to post the 10,000th one;)
Edit:
Made Scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam for breakfast

110508Mix008_DxOMedium.jpg

110508Mix009_DxOMedium.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom