• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hit me up with some Crock Pot recipes or the best website for them.
I really need to make some food I can have lying around so I don't eat crap all the time.

HiResDes

Cosmic Bus said:
This is probably the best thread on GAF. There's always conversation, creativity, great photos and recipes, and I don't think there's ever been a single argument about anything.
APPLE FIGHT NOW, COME AT ME BRO!

I like Fuji's and Honey Crisps the best, no contest.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Now I regret not taking pictures of that skirt steak. It was Godly.

Happy 10K.

Stalfos

Yeah this thread is awesome. I love seeing what everyone is making and giving cooking advice to those that need it. I should try to post more of my shots. I do have some shots of things that I never ended up posting but perhaps I will. Happy 10k to all you regulars.

ShinAmano

Just missed the top 25 in the first 10K posts ;)

Not this weekend, but next weekend I will have some great BBQ pics...I am doing a Butt, a Brisket and BBQ Chicken for my mother in laws 60th B-Day.

Best way to make a healthy dish unhealthy? Add bacon of course.
Spinach salad with muchrooms, onions and swiss cheese.

Add hard boilded egg (used to use raw, but apparently there is risk involved there/s)

Cook bacon (notice the spaetzle in the background, mmmm)

Deglaze pan with cider vinegar and add some sugar to taste

Add hot to salad immediately before saving. Sooo good, like hot getman potato salad in spinach form

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OHMYGOD I'm totally going to make that this weekend.

Made this today:
1ybtq.jpg

Can't believe how impossible it was to get a good shot, but anyways.

Wanted to make stuffed peppers without rice and without having an oven in my dorm. :p

Lean ground beef with cumin, rosemary, and cayenne, chick peas, baby spinach, and real white cheddar with a sprinkle of paprika to top. Cooked the ground beef, ditched the grease, cooked the chick peas, mixed them together. Added the spinach and four or five tablespoons of tomato sauce (paste would have been better) which I didn't cook but let it wilt with the residual heat of the beef and chickpeas. Peppers were halved and placed in the microwave to soften but so that they'll still keep their form. Stuffed the suckers up and topped them with the cheese then used my oven's broiler and put them in there for 5 minutes just to melt the top.

Edit: As an aside, I thought imgur used to have the capacitiy to resize images you uploaded, no?

Really tasty.

What would I have changed? Bigger peppers to start with. The two were filling but it made it difficult to stuff. Also would have considered dicing some onions to sautée with the beef just for a better base flavour, but I just did this in a hurry.

Best part? Left over stuffing for breakfast tomorrow with eggs over easy. :D

MrBig

I haven't even broken 100 yet?
Maybe if I had the money and time to experiment with things other than pizza I could share more :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
CrystalGemini said:
OMG PLEASE post the recipe to this. :drool

Took some time to actually put together a solid recipe since a) I mostly work with smaller, single-serve amounts and b) nothing's ever written down!

1/4 cup of plain applesauce
1/3 of a mashed banana (med/large-ish)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup almond meal
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Banana will change the flavor somewhat, so you can substitute a 1/4 cup of softened butter instead; you can also swap out the almond meal for AP flour. Given the choice, I'd make it with butter so the taste is more "pure" but I was personally trying for something healthier.

Preheat the oven to 330 (or if it's easier, do 350 and then turn it down to 325 just before baking).

Blend the applesauce, banana (or butter) and sugar together well. Use a mixer if there's banana so it gets fully incorporated, or just a fork or whisk if you're using butter. Mix in the vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, then the cocoa powder and almond meal (or flour). Stir in the milk at the end, using more or less depending on how thick the batter is; it should be similar to brownie batter -- not as pourable as cake batter, but definitely not as dense and maleable as regular cookie dough. It should be very dark in color and have a strong cocoa scent, not overly sweet.

You'll want to mound up the batter on the cookie sheet (use parchment paper or a silpat!) because it's going to spread out substantially when baking. For example, a blob the size of a mandarin orange will end up nearly six inches across when it's done. They'll bake for 10-15 minutes depending on size (larger ones should go longer). They'll have a puffed-up, somewhat dry top when they're finished and will fall to create that nice "volcanic" texture during cooling. These aren't cookies to carry around in your hand, they should be pretty soft and maybe even a little gooey in the center.

Pennywise

ChldRebelSoldr said:
tJeB7.png

I had a few extra minutes.
I wish Onkel would use them as a stop sign for hotels/restaurants that are bad in any possible way (hygiene,taste,stuff etc.).
Would love to see them around here in Onkelland.

Anyway great job folks for giving so much inspiration and creating so much hunger for visitors :D

MrBig said:
Maybe if I had the money and time to experiment with things other than pizza I could share more :(
PLEASE make more pizza, you have no idea. I usually keep to myself but the pizzas make me want to go at it again.

MrBig said:

You do nifty work MrBig and I bet you can excel in a variety of ventures! I mean, I too am somewhat type-cast, but I don't even have so much as a phone camera for especially great shots.

In your case.....what about branching out into Calzones/Stromboli since you are better equipped dough-wise than I? There certainly must be possibilities in that sphere not terribly attainable in a normal pizza setting. IIRC, no special equipment needed either.

MrBig

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
PLEASE make more pizza, you have no idea. I usually keep to myself but the pizzas make me want to go at it again.
Oh, thanks, but I'm locked into to making pizzas every other saturday and that's not going to change for a while.

ElectricThunder said:
You do nifty work MrBig and I bet you can excel in a variety of ventures! I mean, I too am somewhat type-cast, but I don't even have so much as a phone camera for especially great shots.

In your case.....what about branching out into Calzones/Stromboli since you are better equipped dough-wise than I? There certainly must be possibilities in that sphere not terribly attainable in a normal pizza setting. IIRC, no special equipment needed either.
I sure could do that, I pretty much already make a calzone of my cheesy bread to serve with the pizza, I can just add in some steak and other things to it and make it the main meal.

Cosmic Bus said:
Took some time to actually put together a solid recipe since a) I mostly work with smaller, single-serve amounts and b) nothing's ever written down!

1/4 cup of plain applesauce
1/3 of a mashed banana (med/large-ish)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup almond meal
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Banana will change the flavor somewhat, so you can substitute a 1/4 cup of softened butter instead; you can also swap out the almond meal for AP flour. Given the choice, I'd make it with butter so the taste is more "pure" but I was personally trying for something healthier.

Preheat the oven to 330 (or if it's easier, do 350 and then turn it down to 325 just before baking).

Blend the applesauce, banana (or butter) and sugar together well. Use a mixer if there's banana so it gets fully incorporated, or just a fork or whisk if you're using butter. Mix in the vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, then the cocoa powder and almond meal (or flour). Stir in the milk at the end, using more or less depending on how thick the batter is; it should be similar to brownie batter -- not as pourable as cake batter, but definitely not as dense and maleable as regular cookie dough. It should be very dark in color and have a strong cocoa scent, not overly sweet.

You'll want to mound up the batter on the cookie sheet (use parchment paper or a silpat!) because it's going to spread out substantially when baking. For example, a blob the size of a mandarin orange will end up nearly six inches across when it's done. They'll bake for 10-15 minutes depending on size (larger ones should go longer). They'll have a puffed-up, somewhat dry top when they're finished and will fall to create that nice "volcanic" texture during cooling. These aren't cookies to carry around in your hand, they should be pretty soft and maybe even a little gooey in the center.

Thanks a ton! I'm in a neverending search for the perfect chocolate cookie - yours looks amazing.

rykomatsu said:
I spent a few hours on yesterday and today reading through bits and pieces of Modernist Cuisine. If I were to summarize it in one word..."amazing" is all I can say...

Cookbooks generally tell you "this is what you do", but don't go into the details of "this is why you do it". If you want to understand the underlying science of cooking, then this will grip your interest and not let you go. How to increase the rate of Maillard reactions and why it increases, how to choose a crustacean based on coloration and why that's important, why freshly caught fish tastes significantly different in some cases from fish that's only a day or two old, etc.

Admittedly, a lot of the explanations within make complete sense and are in my encyclopedia of knowledge in my head due to my science background...I just never thought to associate it with cooking. Take for example the fish mentioned above...when something dies, biology still keeps happening. Fish caught and prepared immediately hasn't had rigor mortis set in much; the enzymes just started their enzymatic process only moments ago. By cooking, you stop a lot of these processes. In some cases, the enzymatic process is very rapid and is the reason why some fish taste so different (blue trout was the given example) only a day apart. This, I assume, is the reason why Japan (and I'm sure other cultures) have preparations of fish which are considered "fisherman's privilages" as you can't get fresher than a fisherman catching, then immediately preparing a fish.

The recipes are written in parametric form and are listed in a weight to weight format with a specific ingredient acting as 100%. So...say eggs (both yolk and whites) are listed at 100% and chives at 5%, the recipe lists a set of weights...100g of eggs and 5 g of chives...so even if you start off with some odd mass...say 121g, you can easily calculate the mass of chives to use as 6.05g (or 6g). Much more precise than using volumes.

Some of the semi-downside. The equipment you need...reading through the recipes, I think the bare minimum you need are:
Sous Vide apparatus
Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Homogenizer
Pressure cooker

There are definitely recipes in there that can be done without those, but Myrhvold originally started collating information on Sous Vide before Modernist Cuisine was conceptualized and it really shows. Also, a lot of vacuum sealing with liquids so a chamber vacuum is a must. I'll probably consider a low end model for Christmas later this year or after tax returns next year if the fiance allows it :) (she enjoys my cooking, so I think I can squeeze it past her)

The section on additives for foams, gels, and emulsions is also very thorough...looking forward to start cooking from the book once classes finish for the summer in a bit over a month :)
Is the books really $500? Man that's expensive!

MrBig said:
Oh, thanks, but I'm locked into to making pizzas every other saturday and that's not going to change for a while.
Awesome I'll look for pics every weekend lol. Sounds like you're getting tired of it though unless I'm mistaken.

Does anyone have a really good lobster bisque soup recipe?

Also I'd like to learn how to cook better. Can anyone recommend some books to read? My mom taught me how to cook, but I want to make able to make the incredible dishes I've seen in this thread. I'm also really thinking of taking some cooking classes too.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
CrystalGemini said:
Thanks a ton! I'm in a neverending search for the perfect chocolate cookie - yours looks amazing.

Addendum: just modified the recipe and got a phenomenal molasses cookie that's thick and crusty on the outside with a deep, almost toffee-like layer inside. This is even better than the chocolate one.

1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup almond meal or AP flour
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon dark molasses
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

This will be a firm, sandy dough that should be formed into discs about 3/4 inch thick and baked at 350 for 15 minutes.

5715262092_fbe0e15764_b.jpg

ChanHuk

Banned
How come the simplest things are some of the most delicious things?

Made a simple roasted chicken;

Tempered that chicken to room temp
S+P liberally outside and inside the cavity
Threw a some sprigs of thyme and halves garlic inside the cavity
Truss that sucker so its nice and tidy
Into a pan it goes and roast @ 450 for about an hour

Came out amazing, forgot to take pictures. Also made a simple pan jus with white wine and chicken stock to go along with the chicken. Served it up with some lightly sauteed carrots and mushrooms.

ChanHuk said:
How come the simplest things are some of the most delicious things?

Made a simple roasted chicken;

Tempered that chicken to room temp
S+P liberally outside and inside the cavity
Threw a some sprigs of thyme and halves garlic inside the cavity
Truss that sucker so its nice and tidy
Into a pan it goes and roast @ 450 for about an hour

Came out amazing, forgot to take pictures. Also made a simple pan jus with white wine and chicken stock to go along with the chicken. Served it up with some lightly sauteed carrots and mushrooms.
Hell yeah. I've got one sitting on the counter warming up with a big old frame fan blowing on it to dry out the skin right now. Going to cook it just about like you did too.

Zyzyxxz

In celebration of this edition of the thread reaching #10,000 post I decided to treat myself to lunch today on my day off from work. Being that I'm pretty comfortable breaking down lobsters (I usually have to cook off and break down at least 5 a week) I've decided to show you guys how its done for those who are scared of cooking a lobster.

And what a better way to eat a lobster than prepared simply by steaming it and tossing it in an garlic thyme butter sauce over bread!

So lets start with a 2 lb lobster (preferably 1-1.5 lbs since 2lb and up tends to be older and the meat yield isn't much better anyway) unfortunately that was the smallest one they had.
5717266422_bc59f4c51e_b.jpg

So decided to steam my lobster (for 13-14 minutes on medium heat), I get my garnishes and rest of the prep done. I'll be toasting the bread in butter, tossing the lobster meat in celery brunoise and minced scallions (too lazy to buy chives). Also, you East-Coast GAFers don't give me shit for not having a top loaded bun, as if lobster wasn't expensive enough.
5717266664_ddddf8641b_b.jpg

So once this bad boy... or more like girl is done lets break her down.
5717266888_96177d68bc_b.jpg

First thing to do is set up your cutting board and cover it with a washable towel because before you know it that towel will be soaked in lobster juice and you don't want that all over your clothes or kitchen. Break claws and knuckles away from the body by simply twisting them off with a towel to avoid getting poked (I used my bare hands because I don't give a fuck) and set aside.

Twist the tail off from the body and head and set aside. Rip off the little legs from the abdomen/head and set aside, don't you dare throw those away boy there's still some meat in that bone!

Now that you have the head and abdomen rip the guts out from the head and wash it out. Use those nimble little fingers of yours and get that meat out of the head, yes there is meat in there but you got to work for it, pick out as much as you can and put it into your mixing bowl for later. This is how much meat I got off my head, that's almost an entire bite and since lobster is expensive gotta get as many bites out of this as possible.
5716701989_4dbfa086cb_b.jpg

Now for the tail, sometimes you can just rip the shell off but some lobsters have tougher shells than others. You can cut the membrane underneath to get the meat out all in one piece but because I'm going to cut it into chunks anyway I'm going the easy way. Place your sharp knife down the middle and push down with both hands carefully, take your time as it took me a few tries before I got the hang of it. Once open you can clean out any shit in the tail or eat the roe/eggs since I had a female lobster.
5716701591_f21939b3a6_b.jpg

5717267388_2bc4c9014d_b.jpg

I don't have a picture for the knuckles but they are easy, just break them into segments by using your chop to break them up at the joints and using a chopstick or the handle of a skinny spoon to push the meat out.

As for the claw it takes a bit of finesse, now while most of your would probably just use a shellfish cracker, I am required by work to get the most beautiful whole piece out as much as possible for presentation purpose. It's not always easy and even on my best days I can only achieve 9 out of 10 perfect claws but usually I'm more like 6-8 out of 10.

Don't use your good knife, I use my no brand nakiri/mini cleaver for this, even a strong blunt knife works. First remove the little pincer claw by twisting it off, try to be careful so you get the meat in there too but sometimes it just won't come out and its not worth it. Then you want to smack the underside of the claw between the spikes to get a tiny hole.
5716702103_82dc96999f_b.jpg

Turn the knife around and use the spine to crack the claw vertically. You want to give it a good smack but not so hard it will destroy the claw, like I said it takes a bit of finesse.
5716702209_1aa1d00451_b.jpg

If done right it should end up like this and you should be able to break off the back end of the claw shell. The reason for making that first tiny crack on the underside of the claw is so when you smack the claw on the broad side the pressure will force a nice crack toward that tiny crack if that makes any sense.
5717267878_9149a612da_b.jpg

Now pull the meat out or use chopstick to push it out from the pincer claw hole.
5717268012_30fe7d43c4_b.jpg

We aren't done yet, if you are lazy you can skip this step and just cut your claw in half but if you want to have a bit nice chunk here is what you need to do. Get some tweezers or a fish pin bone tweezer like I have and feel for something hard inside the claw.
5716702615_b2459d0e3e_b.jpg

Hold the meat somewhat firmly and pull with the tweezers and that cartilage will come out. It's a bitch and often it will destroy the entire claw when you try to take it out. Note that sometimes when you pull out the pincer claw it will pull out the cartilage with it so if you don't feel anything inside the claw then you got lucky.
5717268336_6f7fcfb438_b.jpg

Last thing, remember those tiny legs attached to the abdomen? Theres meat in that shell and all you need is a beer bottle/rolling pin. Sometimes its easier to do one leg at a time depending on how strong the shell is. Roll that meat out and you should get what looks like lobster spaghetti.
5717268656_25bd2a590a_b.jpg

Now we are ready to assemble.
5717268550_2115eace7f_b.jpg

Now I took the steaming liquid of the lobster that was left in the steaming pan and reduced it, then mixed it with some butter, garlic, and thyme. Not too much on the herbs because we want the lobster flavor to be prominent. Once melted down and the garlic is soft toss it with the lobster chunks.
5716701737_670f3d0b99_b.jpg

I decided to toast some sliced bread in butter too, yes I know its not top loaded so sue me.
5716703345_23ef7aa017_b.jpg

Don't fuck with me, I'm eating.
5717269054_c17ec2be55_b.jpg

Bravo, sir. I'm on a student budget at the moment but I've saved your post for the summer when I'll have some money to splurge. Thank you for the great post.

Meeru

Banned
Amazing lobster dish. I have a question. I just bought a stainless steel set (calphalon contemporary) and was wonderinghow it compares with like a nonstick pan.

7aged

Had a good dinner this evening. Wanted to take pictures but I forgot as things got hectic in the kitchen. Did a surf and turf: ceviche to start and steaks for main.

For the Ceviche I got some sashimi grade yellow tail. Chopped up the fish and put it in a mixing bowl pre-rubbed with chilli. Added generous salt, then added lime juice. Finally added garlic, sliced red onion and coriander. Once the fish began to cure, served it on a platter with boiled sweet potato, lettuce, and avocado (didn't have any corn).

For the main I had 3 types of steak: Fillet, ribeye and rump. Originally meant to barbeque but we had trouble with the gas in the grill so it went on the pan. Didn't add any fat, I just heated the pan really hot, seasoned the steaks with salt and placed them in the pan. The fat rendered almost immediately from the meat as the steaks browned. After browning the other side I lower the heat and in about 5 minutes they were ready to go on a warm plate to rest. When ready, I sliced the steaks into thick (2 inch) strips and served with roasted sweet potato (reduce number of ingredients!).

It was beautiful.

kudos.

Oh wow do those breadsticks look good. I hate looking at this thread on an empty stomach. It always turns out to be a bad idea.

I cooked sugar cookies with crisco since I was all out of butter. What a waste. They all tasted like crisco and couldn't be used. Didn't think they would turn out so bad.

MrBig said:
Made spaghetti and meatballs with cheese filled breadsticks (I love anything with cheese, if no one has noticed)

Very awesome! What kind of cheese in the breadsticks? Did you, er, wrap a stick in it or did you fine shred and incorporate into the dough? Or a bit of both?

They seem an ideal shape/size!

MrBig

ElectricThunder said:
Very awesome! What kind of cheese in the breadsticks? Did you, er, wrap a stick in it or did you fine shred and incorporate into the dough? Or a bit of both?

They seem an ideal shape/size!
Just Mozz/Cheddar twist sticks. Wanted to go for the filling style rather to incorporate so that it would be more concentrated rather than using more cheese throughout the dough and getting less flavor. Used my pizza dough recipe, flattened it out to about 1cm thick and squared it (which left me with enough dough for a calzone tonight),painted it with olive oil, cut it in half, and cut it into ~4" strips, rolled the cheese in and sealed the dough, painted the top with more olive oil, sprinkled with dried parsley.

tri_willy

a bit late to the party, but congrats on post 10,000 onkelc. you have carried the thread for a long time, well done mate.

hotpot.png

had some hotpot last week. chicken flavoured tom yum broth with an assortment of fish ball, beef balls, sliced beef and salmon to go with various greens (chinese cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower) and rice vermicilli. awesome stuff!

karaagechicken.png

also tried my hand in making some karaage chicken using the breast fillet. i was surprised that it actually turned out quiet nice... wont be touching kfc anytime soon after this!

enjoy!

Esch

Banned
just stopping in to say that this thread is fantastic, one of the few to convert me to OT from the other....side. You're a hero onkel!

319F0.jpg

Not quite what I was planning tonight, but a very small pack of a new cheese turned out to be juuust enough, so here we are!

Cheese: Pecorino Sardo This cheese isn't oily, and isn't exactly keen on melting though is surely far from the worst offenders. The taste is pretty nice and the texture is smooth with an odd graininess to it visually. I will take a wild guess that it is a cousin of sorts to the ever-present Pecorino Romano.

The crumble....that was a freak find indeed. Tucked away in a Marshall's, super-reduced clearance to $1 and change, the only bag they had, and oddly enough probably the spiciest chip I've ever had in my life. Wai Lana Thai Curry with Lime Yogi Chips

It was another Cassava root chip, though the style strongly resembled the Popchip! pressure-cooked one, right down to the shape and texture. I'm starting to suspect that Cassava has a knack of sorts for pizza doings----any Potato Pizza fans here at IronGAF might do well to take an experimental plunge with an ingredient swap the next time around if they have any on hand?

I've got my oven heating up for a pizza, and I'm thinking of topping it (tomato sauce and mozzarella base) with CORN. Am I going to hate myself for it? It's just that crappy, long-life "super sweet," stuff that is so common in supermarkets nowadays, but I was thinking of partially steaming an ear and using that either alone or in company with some ham.

Thanks for the suggestion of using swiss chard in pasta carbonara! I did that last week with some chard I've been growing and it came out GREAT. Even without the pancetta.

5721374074_970f91ac07.jpg

Except next time, I'll remember to turn OFF the heat before adding the eggs. Oops.

5720816067_2651b11656.jpg

pasta carbonara with chard and porcini

slidewinder said:
I've got my oven heating up for a pizza, and I'm thinking of topping it (tomato sauce and mozzarella base) with CORN. Am I going to hate myself for it? It's just that crappy, long-life "super sweet," stuff that is so common in supermarkets nowadays, but I was thinking of partially steaming an ear and using that either alone or in company with some ham.

No way! That sounds really good! Did a quick google search:

32daed7d15825736_m.jpg

Definitely looks like good eats right there.

Flo_Evans

Been too long....

9IRFQ.jpg

Long story short, had kid, off work, cooking allot more for the wife and loving it!

She can finally eat stuff not burnt to a crisp so I can enjoy cooking it instead of burning it... ;)

MrBig said:
Just Mozz/Cheddar twist sticks. Wanted to go for the filling style rather to incorporate so that it would be more concentrated rather than using more cheese throughout the dough and getting less flavor. Used my pizza dough recipe, flattened it out to about 1cm thick and squared it (which left me with enough dough for a calzone tonight),painted it with olive oil, cut it in half, and cut it into ~4" strips, rolled the cheese in and sealed the dough, painted the top with more olive oil, sprinkled with dried parsley.
Thanks for this I'll try it the next time I tackle pizza or a pasta dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom