• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Maklershed said:
Are the beans that I assume mostly British people eat for breakfast similar to American baked beans? Are they in a sauce?

Baked Beans. They're in tomato sauce. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the exact same thing you guys get.

Esch

Banned
Cindres said:
Baked Beans. They're in tomato sauce. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the exact same thing you guys get.

Ours are an american barbecue flavor usually. I remembered loving british style beans though, go amazing on toast just like ours do :)

Zyzyxxz

Feeling a bit indulgent today, taking a page out of David Chang's book for shrimp and grits I decided to go with pork belly.

Crispy sauteed pork belly with poached egg in loose, creamy polenta.
5834884671_6ee2ea3a57_b.jpg

DJ_Lae

Cindres said:

Don't know about the US but baked beans in tomato sauce are extremely common in Canada. There are variations (pork and molasses, barbeque, chili, etc) but tomato sauce is by far the most available one. I've never tried them with breakfast, to be honest, but I like them as a simple side with steak or pork chops or other grilled goods.

DJ_Lae

I've finally got back into making yeast breads after determining that my poor results were due to old yeast...at least, that's my only guess (as I use a themometer for water temperature). Since it's a little more forgiving of screw-ups, I whipped together a pizza dough with flour, yeast, olive oil, and a bit of sugar.

Didn't turn out too badly, although I still suck at actually forming the dough.

PFJtU.jpg

4OacG.jpg

Some of the crust was smaller than the rest, some thicker, and I ripped a couple of holes in the middle that I poorly patched up (I know I should have just reformed the ball of dough and started over). I did a second batch - not pictured - that I did a mozza stuffed crust, although the cheese seeped out and I was left with a hilarious empty tunnel all the way around the entire pizza.

And for the sake of laziness, I bought myself a proper rice cooker, less for rice and more for steel cut oats, which I've developed a taste for. Waking up to oatmeal is much nicer than having to babysit a pot on the stove for half an hour.

xtrGd.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Onkel you look amazing.
Ether_Snake said:
I just cooked the best steak I've eaten in my whole life, yet I'm not sure what I did differently this time.

Some olive oil, chopped some garlic and onions and tossed them in the pan.
Took my peppered steak and tossed it in, and started pressing it hard with a wooden spoon, not letting it on one side for two long, turn it, press again.
Poured some vodka on top.
Tossed some fresh rosemary in.
Kept on pressing hard on it and turning it.
And poured some left-over maple-syrup marinade (maple syrup, soy sauce, mustard powder, cider vinegar, oregano, thyme and cinnamon).
Pressed hard again and broke my wooden spoon.
Crushed some salt over the steak.
Served.

Most delicious medium-rare steak ever! Sweet, bitter, salty, peppery, and perfectly cooked. It melted in my mouth!

I hope I can pull it off again. Maybe I have to break another wooden spoon.
Please replicate this with measurements. Pleaaaaaase

DJ_Lae said:
And for the sake of laziness, I bought myself a proper rice cooker, less for rice and more for steel cut oats, which I've developed a taste for. Waking up to oatmeal is much nicer than having to babysit a pot on the stove for half an hour.

xtrGd.jpg

So, with that rice cooker and based on your text, am I to infer that you can set it the night before and say "be done by this time" or something similar? If so, Zojirushi can have my money.

I'm blanking here but is bake beans in tomato sauce something available in the US? I feel like I've never seen it before. It only seems to be bbq sauce.

DJ_Lae

fadetoblack said:
So, with that rice cooker and based on your text, am I to infer that you can set it the night before and say "be done by this time" or something similar? If so, Zojirushi can have my money.

There are probably cheaper brands available, but yeah.

The night before, dump in a cup of oats, water, close the lid, and set the timer to have cooked oatmeal by 8 in the morning. It's fantastic.

Esch

Banned
Got a great idea for anyone loooking to take their scrambled eggs to the next level... Try adding in a combination of some chopped onions and garlic, an italian cheese, and a tablespoon of pesto. Delicious.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
EschatonDX said:
Got a great idea for anyone loooking to take their scrambled eggs to the next level... Try adding in a combination of some chopped onions and garlic, an italian cheese, and a tablespoon of pesto. Delicious.

I might try that. I usually just add a dollop of sour cream, a splash of heavy cream, and a bit of garlic salt. I just make sure to be constantly folding and stirring them so that they come out really fluffy and rich. That is the key keep stirring and folding.

Sumidor said:
Anyone have some good slow cooker recipes? I've been working on chili, but I'd like to try some other good things.

Slow cooked pork burrito's Just made this the other day and it was fantastic. Really came out well just using a slab of roast pork. Stick it in the slow cooker and forget about it.

24ch63b.jpg

ir2g79.jpg

Also made meatloaf the other day, pictures in this post

Proper Ragu ala bolognese works pretty well, as does beef bourguignon after a bit of prep & pre-cooking.

DJ_Lae said:

Yes! Being Asian, I can't live without a rice cooker. We use it for timer steel cut oats too. Don't forget to add in a pinch of salt and stir it into the water to make sure it dissolves before closing the lid at night. I find the pinch of salt really gives it a great nutty flavor. Doesn't matter if you want sweet porridge (oatmeal) or savory (I like steel cut oats with some salt, pepper, olive oil, and green onion. Or some congee porridge stuff like chinese pickles).

In addition to white/brown rice, you can also cook quinoa in the rice cooker. Just follow the same stovetop instructions for quinoa in terms of water ratio, set it to white rice cooking mode, and TADA perfectly cooked quinoa. I can never cook quinoa on the stove (SOOOO LONG) but it's so easy in the rice-cooker.

If you're lazy and poor like I was in college, putting in uncooked rice, water, some frozen veggies (broccoli florets, etc.) and some sliced sausage (the chinese kind) then setting it to cook is an easy way to get a one pot meal.

edit: You can also do a pretty decent hard-boiled egg if you drop in the egg after the rice is cooked and set it to "keep warm" for 15 mins.

Dinner tonight brought to you by fresh morels and asparagus from the farmer's market.
5838184011_25816be4f0.jpg

Aaaah, spring is in the air! I made a simple pasta with morels, asparagus, shallots, and a vegan cream sauce using cashew cream.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Dinner tonight brought to you by fresh morels and asparagus from the farmer's market.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5838184011_25816be4f0.jpg[img]
Aaaah, spring is in the air! I made a simple pasta with morels, asparagus, shallots, and a vegan cream sauce using cashew cream.[/QUOTE]

Ooh I love morels, haven't had a chance to hit the local farmers markets and now my job keeps me away from the Santa Monica one which I loved.

Where did you get yours from?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Taco-night from a couple of weeks ago, although I only helped make the salsa. Which turned out amazing btw, super spicy, but damn tasty!

Texas no-bean chili, carnitas (bothed slow cooked overnight) and refried beans

MI0dHl.jpg

Chips (unfortunately not home made), and salsa.

2sHWpl.jpg

Burrito pre-wrap!

4TsIsl.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
Ooh I love morels, haven't had a chance to hit the local farmers markets and now my job keeps me away from the Santa Monica one which I loved.

Where did you get yours from?

I usually get them from the mushroom man. He's at the Sunday Hollywood, Sat. Santa Monica and Wed. Santa Monica markets. You probably know who I'm talking about. Green sign with yellow letters. He said he'll have them till July 4th.

One of the good things about working in SM is that I can walk over to the farmer's market on Wednesday. One of the bad things is commuting to SM for work =(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
5838184011_25816be4f0.jpg

Aaaah, spring is in the air! I made a simple pasta with morels, asparagus, shallots, and a vegan cream sauce using cashew cream.
that looks particularily awesome.

side question, how popular is white asparagus outside of germany?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ShinAmano said:
So I am going to smoke some Salmon for the first time ever this weekend. What should I serve with it?
Latkes or hashed browns with a hint of cream horseradish works wonders as well.

OnkelC said:

We see it pretty often here in the states. Definitely not as popular as green asparagus, but I've seen them at regular grocery stores and at restaurants. Their texture is different from green asparagus, right? More crunchy or crispy?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
We see it pretty often here in the states. Definitely not as popular as green asparagus, but I've seen them at regular grocery stores and at restaurants. Their texture is different from green asparagus, right? More crunchy or crispy?

thanks for the reply. It's way less tasty and of a more softish texture than the green variant, but my fellow citizens are kind of obsessed with it. I was just wondering if other cuisines around the globe have a similar fetish for it. Here's a few articles about the obsession.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,407412,00.html

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15043449,00.html

DJ_Lae

OnkelC said:

Not very, at least in my part of Canada. It's insanely expensive compared to the regular stuff, and it doesn't taste as good. I haven't seen any restaurants serve it or anyone go out of their way to buy it in a grocery store either. Usually they have to push it pretty hard by putting up massive signs and recipes or people will just ignore it altogether.

OnkelC said:
thanks for the reply. It's way less tasty and of a more softish texture than the green variant, but my fellow citizens are kind of obsessed with it. I was just wondering if other cuisines around the globe have a similar fetish for it. Here's a few articles about the obsession.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,407412,00.html

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15043449,00.html
What is it that people like so much about it compared to the "regular" green stuff? The milder taste I guess?

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:

recently I saw the chef make a white asparagus soup for a catered party but other than that its pretty much ignored.

OnkelC said:

In the Netherlands the white asparagus are more popular than the green. To be honest i think the green are too crunchy. I think i've eaten green ones on one or two occasions. I'm just used to white ones. They grow them in the southern provinces (Limburg)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Been in the old hometown today and made a visit to our favorite greek restaurant.

smallP1020691.jpg

it was heartwarming that the owner recognized us after almost two years.

Schrade

OnkelC said:
Mayo on Burgers is an overlooked highlight, I strongly reccomend anybody to try it out. Thanks for sharing.
I'm not a fan of Mayonnaise or any other glop on hamburgers.

I love it when buns are buttered and slightly toasted on the side that touches the meat.

The juices from the hamburger should be just fine, anything else just masks the flavor of the meat too much.

I once had a hamburger made by a friend and it was totally slathered in mayonnaise and ketchup. I about puked because it was so loaded with stuff.

sT3g4.jpg

Nicely new doings in this one, in part:

Crumble: Kettle Brand TIAS! Salsa Picante
Cheese: Mt Akos Sheep/Goat Fetiri Mint & Oregano

The crumble was nice, as seemingly all things Kettle Brand turn out to be TIAS! or otherwise. The cheese, that one was definitely a random find, of a pair, at Ingles. It is a very much soft/fall apart cheese, but unlike others roughly similar, it melts rather well but still maintains the same surface area as prior to melting. I think this is the first time I've had Mint per se in any pizza doings before---and I like it!

Finally done with the Abbruzze as of this go round---next week I begin a proper new meat to round out that odd pair of my discoveries! It....shall be tasty from what Wiki told me!

Tr4nce

It's so strange to see how popular mayonaise here is, in the Netherlands while in other countries it's not that big of a deal. On our most famous snacks in the category fast food is the 'broodje hamburger speciaal'. It's a hamburger on a bun with mayonaise, curryketchup and onions! Yummy!

image046.jpg

Also our McDonalds sauce is better than yours!!! :p

a20052032211465.jpg

Jacobi

Banned
Tr4nce said:
It's so strange to see how popular mayonaise here is, in the Netherlands while in other countries it's not that big of a deal. On our most famous snacks in the category fast food is the 'broodje hamburger speciaal'. It's a hamburger on a bun with mayonaise, curryketchup and onions! Yummy!

image046.jpg

Also our McDonalds sauce is better than yours!!! :p
I'm going to Amsterdam soon, where can xou buy this (which store)?

Tr4nce

Ehm, shouldn't be too hard. Just look for something which is called 'Snackbar' or 'Cafetaria'. Every snackbar has it! If you can also buy 'frikandels' and 'patat' (=fries) there, then you know you're in the right place! :)

Example:

cafetaria01.JPG

cafetaria04.JPG

cafetaria.jpg

Also, you have to try our 'frikandel speciaal'!! Please do so! It is very delicious. It's some kind of long meat thing, with also mayonaise, curryketchup and onions!!!

frikandel-lg.jpg

gr_ol78pt91ans92lm_frikadel_spec_copy.gif

Shit, I can't stop. Please try the 'raspatat'. I like them better then our normal fries here. Raspatat is made from some kind of potato powder, or potato starch. They are very nice!

33ufxuf.jpg

110320-origineel_100930-Patat.jpg

Haha, damn. Makes want to got a cafetaria right now!!!

Esch

Banned
Standard mayo is pretty gross in my opinion, if it's a thickening agent in a sauce or mixed with something it's okay though.

MrBig

Where can I find Halloumi in the US? Health food stores?
Looked for it at my usual grocery store last night and couldn't find it with any of the other imported cheese.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
MrBig said:
Where can I find Halloumi in the US? Health food stores?
Looked for it at my usual grocery store last night and couldn't find it with any of the other imported cheese.

Whole Foods and some Trader Joe's stock it, and I understand Costo sometimes carries it as well.

UrokeJoe

Tr4nce said:

image046.jpg

That actually looks like a pretty tasty burger. Nice bun.

Maiar_m

I made Quatre Quarts this week. Easy and cheap, the way I li... Actually no, I'm not going to finish that one.

Click for recipe.

Cosmic Bus said:
Whole Foods and some Trader Joe's stock it, and I understand Costo sometimes carries it as well.

Handy info!!!! I've got to remember to pass that along to my mom's friend who manages to get by those places here and there, as I too have come up empty handed locally and at the Farmer's Market on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom