• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Made this last night for the gf. Turned out pretty well, but I could really use a sifter for them icing sugar in the future.

sjtEr.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Axion22 said:
Afternoon, all. been awhile.
I found this recipe on tastespotting awhile back.

General Tso’s Chicken

This is the original

Here's my result

with sesame parmesan zucchini (as posted way back when)

Thumbs up on the recipe, really nice and crispy marinade/batter.

Whoa, that looks incredible. I'm gonna try to make that sometime. I also had never heard of tastespotting before. Great resource.

MrBig

Axion22 said:

General Tso’s Chicken

This is the original
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5190/5864168326_768ff3028c.jpg[IMG]

Here's my result
[IMG]http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnn20iu5XG1qdia8mo1_500.png[IMG]

Thumbs up on the recipe, really nice and crispy marinade/batter.[/QUOTE]
Tso is my favorite way to eat chicken. Thanks, I'll be preparing this soon.
I usually just get frozen chicken breast nuggets at the grocery store and bottle of the sauce or even just order take out just for tsao.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i built a little black egg pizza oven and tested it recently. here are some shots i took. i was pretty busy making pizza for a lot of people, so forgive me if my pictures are scant.

6Mq3Q.jpg

B0FfP.jpg

VL5Yw.jpg

fT856.jpg

heat management was the biggest obstacle, but i procured a laser thermometer to better be able to gauge it. next time i won't have so much fluctuation in the quality of the pies; i need the stone to hit about 750 degrees F i think for the top and bottom to be done concurrently in about three and a half to four minutes. i can get the stone up to 900+, but the top finishes later than the bottom and it's just a burnt mess!

but this was fun and tasty.

jarosh

i'm a decent cook but i never bake or prepare anything with batter or dough, so i'm asking here: i made some pancackes this morning for a special occasion. but i didn't use all the batter. will it keep in the fridge until tomorrow?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh said:
i'm a decent cook but i never bake or prepare anything with batter or dough, so i'm asking here: i made some pancackes this morning for a special occasion. but i didn't use all the batter. will it keep in the fridge until tomorrow?
awesome pizza and pastry, folks, I am impressed.

jarosh, if the batter contains eggs, i would advise against it. also, the flour would quell too much until tomorrow, so discard it out of culinary reasons as well.

jarosh

OnkelC said:
jarosh, if the batter contains eggs, i would advise against it. also, the flour would quell too much until tomorrow, so discard it out of culinary reasons as well.
hm. it does contain eggs. what about the freezer?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think the batter would be fine if it's in the fridge. the only issue is that if you're using baking powder for leavening it may lose some of its pop by tomorrow and leave you with more dense cakes.

solution: whip an egg white or two to soft peaks tomorrow and fold into your batter. that'll lighten them up and make them very spongy and fluffy, ready to soak up syrup or jam or compote or whatever you heave at it.

jarosh

well well, two cooking pros giving conflicting advice :p

i'll see what it looks and smells like tomorrow. good tip with the egg white though!
stolen from jamie oliver? ;)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jarosh said:
well well, two cooking pros giving conflicting advice :p

i'll see what it looks and smells like tomorrow. good tip with the egg white though!
stolen from jamie oliver? ;)
all my moves are stolen, my man.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to stuff in poblano peppers before I put them on the grill.

I'm thinking a mixture of cream cheese, shredded cheddar and possibly crumbled sausage. I'm open to any suggestions though.

Zyzyxxz

RbBrdMan said:
Anyone have any suggestions on what to stuff in poblano peppers before I put them on the grill.

I'm thinking a mixture of cream cheese, shredded cheddar and possibly crumbled sausage. I'm open to any suggestions though.

At work we stuff piquillo peppers with shredded gruyere and fontina cheeses along with golden raisins and diced chorizo. Those peppers are sweet though so it may not match the flavor profile but I know the stuffing is bomb!

DietRob

Zyzyxxz said:
At work we stuff piquillo peppers with shredded gruyere and fontina cheeses along with golden raisins and diced chorizo. Those peppers are sweet though so it may not match the flavor profile but I know the stuffing is bomb!
Thanks for the reply sounds good if I can find those type of peppers. I ended up going with cream cheese, feta, shredded sharp cheddar, and crumbled bacon. I've got some pics but I'm on my phone posting
(I'll edit in later)

I asked Chef Michael Symon on twitter and he said I should stuff them with crab. I will definitely keep that in mind for next time.

EDIT: Here is a shot of the peppers, turned out a little blurry, sorry. Click for bigger pic.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
googoomuck22 said:
that pizza looks damn fine man

thanks man. like i said, i plan on using my new laser thermometer to better gauge stone temperature next time i use it (maybe next week--plans for this weekend look spotty). will be sure to take more pictures and post them. that WAS a damn good pizza. some of them got a bit too crisp, or were a bit underdone, etc. trial and error!

Zyzyxxz

RbBrdMan said:
Thanks for the reply sounds good if I can find those type of peppers. I ended up going with cream cheese, feta, shredded sharp cheddar, and crumbled bacon. I've got some pics but I'm on my phone posting
(I'll edit in later).

I asked Chef Michael Symon on twitter and he said I should stuff them with crab. I will definitely keep that in mind for next time.

ooh that sounds good too, in fact another dish we do at work is guero chiles stuffed with corn and crab salsa, battered, deep fried with a ginger soy dressing.

Stalfos

jarosh said:
I always use up all my pancake batter and just freeze any leftover pancakes. To reheat I just microwave them a little bit to soften them up and then I like to heat them through in a pan with some butter.

KYRPk.jpg

Yay pizza!

Crumble: Lay's Natural Garden Tomato & Basil = yummy stuff
Cheese: Italian Pesto Cappiello Braided Mozzarella = Good, but somewhat disappointing. It behaves like your normal low moisture mozz tends to, but given that this was literally my first encounter with Pesto I was hoping for a more pronounced flavor given the thing was decently coated/oiled up. Probably need to find a proper jar of Pesto someplace to really see how it shakes out though...

Still, it made for an overall nice meal as I continue to work through that Capocollo pack with each meal---down to about 2 left before it'll be time to switch it up for something else.

Vire

A summer time meal I prepared for some friends and I:

Grilled Sesame Chicken with Flavored Green Beans and Farfalle

hLHxV.jpg

It was really delicious.

LQX

Axion22 said:

General Tso’s Chicken

This is the original
5864168326_768ff3028c.jpg

Here's my result
tumblr_lnn20iu5XG1qdia8mo1_500.png

Thumbs up on the recipe, really nice and crispy marinade/batter.
Gen Tso is probably my favorite Asian food. That looks great. I followed this video to make mine the other day and it came out tasting just like the restaurant. Going to try that link you gave.

Edit - here is the link . Sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd4W_nv7mGY&

DietRob

LQX said:
Gen Tso is probably my favorite Asian food. That looks great. I followed this video to make mine the other day and it came out tasting just like the restaurant. Going to try that link you gave.

The video isn't working. I do have some chicken thighs in the freezer though. I'm going to start thawing them out and probably make this on Tuesday. I'll try to remember to post pics.

Stalfos said:
I always use up all my pancake batter and just freeze any leftover pancakes. To reheat I just microwave them a little bit to soften them up and then I like to heat them through in a pan with some butter.
We do something similar with our leftover waffles. Leave them in the freezer outside of a bag to dry out a bit, then a few hours later bag them up. Pull em out whenever you're hungry, toast em, bang, you're done.

MrBig

Two pizzas

Right is my usual. Fresh moz, large cut salami (ignore how I failed in getting it off the peel)
Left was bathed in boiling water like a pretzel and topped with rosemary, moz, and muenster

IMG_8704.jpg

They were both delicious

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
OK, here's my first picture--please excuse the awful quality and angle--quinoa taco salad:

hbavrl.jpg

MrBig said:
Two pizzas

Right is my usual. Fresh moz, large cut salami (ignore how I failed in getting it off the peel)
Left was bathed in boiling water like a pretzel and topped with rosemary, moz, and muenster
They were both delicious

Yum, what do you put in your dough?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
That cake above looks heavenly!

BBQ last night: Porterhouse, grilled onions, potatoes and home made bearnaise! Washed down with Chateau Smith Cab sauvignon 07 and Lillian 05.

IH24Dl.jpg

Maiar_m

The pizzas and the shortbread cake made me drool. I hate you guys.

Here's my latest recipe, creamy lemon curd.

Click for recipe. In grams.

Hello IronGaf!

The 25th anniversary of the Metroid franchise is closing in (August 6th), and for the special occasion I'm organizing a big celebration thread for the gaming side. I'm trying to get various gaffers across the forums to participate, and after asking OnkelC about a possible contribution we agreed that the rest of IronGaf should join in on the fun.

Goal: Make any kind of food with some kind of reference to the Metroid franchise. Metroid cupcakes? Samus helmet pizza? Mother Brain tartare? (gross!), the imagination is the limit.

When: Feel free to post your contributions here in this thread from now till August 5 when the thread will launch at gaming side. Any contributions will be posted in the anniversary thread with due credit obviously.

Looking forward to see what some of you will come up with :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
dyonPT said:
Caramel Short(big)cake :)

Geez, dyon, whoever you're making all these desserts for are very lucky people. I'd love to be able to practice my baking more often, but it's just me here and I definitely can't have sweets piling up. :(

Zyzyxxz said:
I've been trying to make macarons for a while too unsuccessfully. I'll definitely save that lemon curd recipe though!

What issues did you have with the macarons? I've done them a few times and was actually surprised how easy they were compared to the anguished horror stories I tend to see on so many food blogs.

Maiar_m

Cosmic Bus said:
What issues did you have with the macarons? I've done them a few times and was actually surprised how easy they were compared to the anguished horror stories I tend to see on so many food blogs.
Mine were a bit too soft, the shells changed coulours a bit too fast and I had to get them out of the oven before they were baked thoroughly. Taste-wise they were ok, but macarons are mostly a question of design.

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:

I can't seem to get them to have good feet, I got it once but every batch I make seemed to have problems with cracking shells.

I've tried a wide range of temperatures from low and slower method to fast high heat baking.

grkazan12

MrBig said:
Two pizzas

IMG_8704.jpg

They were both delicious

Is it cool if I can get a recipe for the pizza, it looks amazing.

MrBig

I don't know if I have ever seen anything as delicious looking as that cake

grkazan12 said:
Is it cool if I can get a recipe for the pizza, it looks amazing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27706474&postcount=9975

All the toppings are really up to you and what you have available, but the most essential thing for getting it crunchy and fully cooked is a pizza stone.

For the boiled pizza I just put the flattened dough in a metal colander and dunked it in boiling water. I just used a metal pan though so the dough wasn't cooked at all at the center :C

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Maiar_m said:
Mine were a bit too soft, the shells changed coulours a bit too fast and I had to get them out of the oven before they were baked thoroughly. Taste-wise they were ok, but macarons are mostly a question of design.
Zyzyxxz said:
I can't seem to get them to have good feet, I got it once but every batch I make seemed to have problems with cracking shells.

I've tried a wide range of temperatures from low and slower method to fast high heat baking.

Even going by what I've experienced in my classes and seen professionally, macarons are definitely one of the most unpredictable things to make since they can be so heavily affected by almost every aspect of the process, from ingredients to environment to equipment. My biggest challenge has always been getting a smooth, convex top without those little peaks from pulling away the pastry bag, heh. On the plus side, it's a relatively simple process to mix up a small batch, so I find them to be fun to practice making... Now I just need to make some friends who I can unload this stuff onto when it's done!

dyonPT

Nice to see that you guys like my deserts :)

Thank you all

Cosmic Bus said:
Geez, dyon, whoever you're making all these desserts for are very lucky people. I'd love to be able to practice my baking more often, but it's just me here and I definitely can't have sweets piling up. :(

I also live by my self, what I do is offer them to my family or friends, or else, it would be really dangerous!! hehehe

Maiar_m

Cosmic Bus said:
Even going by what I've experienced in my classes and seen professionally, macarons are definitely one of the most unpredictable things to make since they can be so heavily affected by almost every aspect of the process, from ingredients to environment to equipment. My biggest challenge has always been getting a smooth, convex top without those little peaks from pulling away the pastry bag, heh. On the plus side, it's a relatively simple process to mix up a small batch, so I find them to be fun to practice making... Now I just need to make some friends who I can unload this stuff onto when it's done!
For the peak, the technique I used is a few good slams of my baking pan on the table. It chases the air out of the shells and get rid of any peak. Then I let it sit for about 45 minutes. The thing is, I forgot to let the egg white mature before preparation :(

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Keen said:

I've only had Three Rivers columbia Valley and Champoux single vineyards. They are good, but they can't touch a rutherford cab for example.

Metroid Killer said:
Hello IronGaf!

The 25th anniversary of the Metroid

*snip*

Looking forward to see what some of you will come up with :)
So I figured it probably was a good idea to kick start this myself:

Voila! 3 layered Metroid fruit cake! Top layer is whippeed cream mixed with kiwis, banana fangs and strawberrys with raspberry jam as the nuclei.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Metroid Killer said:
So I figured it probably was a good idea to kick start this myself:

Voila! 3 layered Metroid fruit cake! Top layer is whippeed cream mixed with kiwis, banana fangs and strawberrys with raspberry jam as the nuclei.
bravo.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Here's some slow cooked pork lion roast with sauerkraut and potatoes. Again, sorry for the bad quality picture.

Xu82ol.jpg

It turned out pretty good, but a little dry. Every time I use the slow cooker, the meat always comes out dry. Does anyone know why? Could it be that I cook it for too long?

Also, does anyone know a good recipe for tamales? I want to make some, and I have fresh corn husks (you can use these, right?) but can't find any good recipes online. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Nice Metroid cake, MetroidKiller!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys, I have chicken breasts, paprika, ginger, soy sauce, maple syrup, xeres vinegar, turmeric, garlic, pepper, salt, dried oregano, thyme, fresh dill.

How could I cook the chicken breasts without a barbecue with anything from the above? Every time I cook chicken, unless I make it marinate for 24h, it tastes like nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom