• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rough holiday weekend ahead, so you know what time is must be for me to help cope:

NGVav.jpg

Cheese: Celtic Vintage 2 Year Aged Cheddar If there are Irish cheeses that aren't damned awesome then I'll be rather surprised at this point. Melts well, tastes great, not oily, etc

Crumble: Late July Mild Green Mojo Turns out Late July makes some multigrain chips, these being a Green Chiles, Cheese & Lime variety. Definitely tastes like a solid salsa to me, which is a good thing indeed.

MrBig

Grilling some steaks now. Marinade is a combination of traditional steak marinade and my teriyaki beef jerky marinade. Accidentally added a bit too much chili powder but it still smelt good.

Been marinating all day with a sprig of rosemary and a bit of cracked garlic.

Zyzyxxz

Just rubbed my beef brisket and pork spareribs and starting my guajillo bbq sauce.

Hopefully I'll remember to get some salsa verde and roasted corn salsa done too.

Flo_Evans

Nice burger! Well I got drunk, and passed out. Luckily ribs are pretty low maintinece after initial setup! And nice to wake up to at 1am :)

Zyzyxxz

What to do when you are at the Japanese market and beautiful pieces of kurobuta pork are staring right at you?

5770517719_e3fea2ff7c_b.jpg

Best thing to do is keep it simple and I tend to combine ingredients in random ways since many of my relatives grow their own vegetables. My aunt gave me some kohlrabi which I'm not too fond of, I much prefer daikon over it but I'm not one to waste the fruits of agriculture. I figure I would braise some of it and roast the rest.

5770518209_ae0bc8c31e_b.jpg

Since I was strapped for time I decided to use the pressure cooker but first I needed my braising liquid. I got some dashi started and then reduced it with my homemade beef stock
5770517873_da070b4d55_b.jpg

omg, DAT Gelatin!
5771058718_44b816007f_b.jpg

Final dish: braised pork butt with kohlrabi two ways in a dashi-demi glace reduction.
5770518383_4c16571fee_b.jpg

Murkas

Chicken being soaked!

g4uh0.jpg

After spending a day in the fridge it gets grilled!

MDhB0.jpg

Final result!

ZC23v.jpg

Yes as you can tell I'm new to cooking :(

DJ_Lae

I bought myself some skewers last year after getting sick of using the cheap wooden ones - food spins around on them making flipping a pain in the ass, longer cook times result in burnt ends, plus the issue of them being far shorter than the width of my (admittedly tiny) barbeque.

(charcoal's not allowed in my apartment building, although I confess I've fallen in love with my Q to the extent I no longer care)

5OQ6x.jpg

Nothing fancy - zucchini, mushrooms (giant mushrooms, I wanted smaller but they must have gotten a jumbo shipment in), olive oil, salt and pepper:

qJmww.jpg

Mango/chipotle marinade - in hindsight I should have used more or also boiled the marinade and then topped the cooked kebabs with them, as the flavour wasn't as intense as I expected.

OAEom.jpg

I also didn't get a good picture of them done - this one looked more in focus on my camera than it ended up being, and I was so hungry at that point I just scarfed everything down without taking a picture of my plate - paired the kebabs with mashed sweet potatoes and a salad.

IhYKx.jpg

When I do it again I'll definitely season the chicken a bit more, the marinade was on the weak side. You know there's a problem when your vegetable sides have more flavour than your meat.

You can always brush some marinade on the chicken as it's grilling, I have also found poking some holes with a fork helps.

I wish I could use a grill in my apartment, if I had one I would hardly ever be cooking inside. lol

Flo_Evans

Chicken is a very dense meat. Need a thin marinade to penetrate. Try using more water (or soy or something) and letting soak overnight in a ziploc with all the air squeezed out (keeps the sauce in contact) overnight.

Or just keep brushing it on ;)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone have experience with a "Big Green Egg"
big_green_egg_patio_360x472.jpg

I want to invest in one. I heard they are really great grills/smokers. Pretty pricey though so I would love to know if any of my Iron-Gaf buddies have good experiences with them.

JRPereira

Been looking for more pork, fish (anyone got some low carb salmon recipes?), and chicken recipes to offset a lot of beef since trying to cut my carbs (aiming for 50g or less a day).

Here's some pork chops I've made a few times recently (in this case paired with just some steamed frozen veggies topped with salt and pepper).

porkchops_05302011.jpg

* I'd love to know why my phone's camera makes everything more yellow than usual. Updated - Thanks, Aquavelvaman!

I've been cooking 'em on high enough heat to make coconut oil start to smoke (I've never gotten a good idea of where my gas stove is at. There's pretty much 3 settings - what I want to move up to starting from low and keeping watch, max/boiling, and "oh shit the oil's gonna burn, better get to it!"). ** Note that unless your stove's hood is a monster, you'll want an open window or few for this.

Start 'em at a bit cooler than room temperature (freshly thawed works). Sear, flip, and sear - looking for the outer done-ness to creep a bit less than halfway on each side (to taste, of course, although I'm a bit paranoid about pork so I'm probably cooking it a tad much -- you may want to start your chops a little cooler so you can still get a sear and yet keep the interior a little less cooked).

Both after flipping and while resting (to attack from both sides), I've topped 'em with some thin pats of a butter infused with herbs de provence and a good bit of extra rosemary, marjoram, and chives. Salt and pepper added while resting (and re:resting, I pretty much use the butter [slightly softened from the fridge] as my indicator for that - once the butter's pretty well melted it's time to eat).

Consistently comes out nice and juicy with good flavor. I can say this would probably end up being my staple recipe for chops.

Flo_Evans

RbBrdMan said:
big_green_egg_patio_360x472.jpg

I want to invest in one. I heard they are really great grills/smokers. Pretty pricey though so I would love to know if any of my Iron-Gaf buddies have good experiences with them.
Ive heard they are awesome, I want to get one if my grill ever dies.

Silkworm

RbBrdMan said:
image of "Big Green Egg"

There was a poster in this thread who had gotten a Green Egg almost a year ago. The poster was ShinAmano. I'm not sure if he's been still posting in this thread (I can't keep up with all the various posters in this thread), but he would have 1st hand experience with one :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Flo_Evans said:
Chicken is a very dense meat. Need a thin marinade to penetrate. Try using more water (or soy or something) and letting soak overnight in a ziploc with all the air squeezed out (keeps the sauce in contact) overnight.

Or just keep brushing it on ;)

Then how do you explain indian-style yogurt based marinades? :p

SnakeXs

Flo_Evans said:
They dont penetrate all that well, they glob it on at the end.

Simply untrue. Heck, I think Heston Blumenthal even did an experiment on the subject.

Schlep

IMAG0173.jpg

Happy Memorial Day done right. :p Well, mostly right. I don't have a smoker here, so I had to do this with a grill for about 3 hours.

Flo_Evans

SnakeXs said:
Simply untrue. Heck, I think Heston Blumenthal even did an experiment on the subject.
He did marinade absorption rate studies? It's not that serious you soak meat in sauce. I would be very surprised if acidic sauces didn't absorb and break down the meat quicker than fat based.

SnakeXs

Flo_Evans said:
He did marinade absorption rate studies? It's not that serious you soak meat in sauce. I would be very surprised if acidic sauces didn't absorb and break down the meat quicker than fat based.

In one of his shows, yes. The yogurt marinade "penetrated" further in the same amount of time.

Flo_Evans

SnakeXs said:
In one of his shows, yes. The yogurt marinade "penetrated" further in the same amount of time.
How did he measure this? What was in the sauce besides yogurt? What was the other sauce? What was the pH of each?

SnakeXs

Flo_Evans said:
How did he measure this? What was in the sauce besides yogurt? What was the other sauce? What was the pH of each?

It's in one of his shows on making his own tandoor oven and making chicken tikka masala. Look it up.

DJ_Lae

I'll try both methods next time - longer marinating time and brushing on the sauce.

I grilled again tonight, though I decided to have a vegetarian meal for a bit of a break and had portobello mushrooms (marinated in balsamic, oil, and onion) on toasted buns along with some potato and pasta salad.

I overcooked my potatoes slightly, which was disappointing.

Made pork spareribs with a hoisin, oyster, and soy sauce marinade (also a touch of sweet chili sauce), homemade potato salad, baked beans, and mixed green salad. Awesome dinner.

Forgot to take pictures though. :(

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
They dont penetrate all that well, they glob it on at the end.

I thought yogurt had a meat tenderizing effect? I'm no expert in Mediterranean cuisine so I may be guessing out of my ass.

Flo_Evans

Zyzyxxz said:
I thought yogurt had a meat tenderizing effect? I'm no expert in Mediterranean cuisine so I may be guessing out of my ass.
Me neither! I know some hunters that use milk to remove some gaminess from venison.

I seem to recall a Chinese cook telling me he soaked his chicken in milk too before frying to adhere the batter better.

I was just suggesting a quick way to get flavor into chicken is soy/vinegar not that it's the end all marinade...

Now though I want to do some experiments.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great pics, everybody!
What was the bagel thing filled with?

The Modernist Cuisine arrived today, it was packaged bulletproof. First impression: oMG, heavy, bulky, the smell of the printing ink fills the room right now. will post impressions on thursday.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
Great pics, everybody!
What was the bagel thing filled with?

The Modernist Cuisine arrived today, it was packaged bulletproof. First impression: oMG, heavy, bulky, the smell of the printing ink fills the room right now. will post impressions on thursday.

Hangover bagel is: salsiccia (italian sausage) taken out of the casing and pressed flat, egg and american (ultra processed) cheese.

I definitely want that modernist cuisine book but is there no place to buy it that's cheaper than three-hundred some odd dollars? I'm in the UK, mind you, but still. Can't wait for impressions, man.

Also, Limonata is deadly good.

Yes Boss!

JRPereira said:
Oh neat. It never occurred to me that you could correct it after taking the photo.

Buttermilk seems to have that effect on chicken (so, so good), so I wouldn't be surprised if yogurt does as well.
Also, shredded green papaya tenderizes meat. I do that for lamb.

Quick question: I've recently discovered the awesome taste and texture that is Roasted (Unsalted) Chickpeas---the only Chickpeas I've ever eaten/come across thus far. Are there any other roughly comparable things out there that may be escaping me beyond, ya know, nuts and peanuts?

Zyzyxxz

wucha know bout meat son?

well actually I felt pretty noobish attempting to smoke meat for the first time on a propane grill. It only confirmed that I need to get a real smoker.

Day before I rubbed the meat with a dry rub and started my guajillo-chile de arbol bbq sauce with a tomato and sherry vinegar base. I can't divulge recipe as it is a work recipe I modified.
5786708519_2a68099fb9_b.jpg

Got that smokering and then finished them in the oven, not seen in this pic are 2 more sparerib racks that are already in the oven
5787265058_9162e38a15_b.jpg

Hell yeah thats a 3 foot cutting board, great for carving presentation too. Salsa verde was made by me too.
5786709067_40d9396b8d_b.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Yes Boss! said:
Man,

Miss this thread. Have not been keeping up. :-( good stuff all! Gonna participate next year when I get back from the middle east. Going on a big drive through europe in a few weeks (garmisch-innsbruck-brussels-amsterdam-hamburg-berlin-bavaria) and hope to try some good food. Anybody familiar with those cities open to some suggestion, local favorite places to try?

Any good euro-indian places to try?
Hey, totally oversaw your post, sorry.

Good to hear that you are alive and well. Looking forward to seeing you join in again.

Food-wise, you can't go wrong with any of the destinations. Just steer clear of the places that have english spoken menus outside ;)

MrBig

Been missing out on GAF for the last few days. I'll have to catch up on all the delicious food here in IronGAF

Made a bunch of individual cheesecakes for a party
IMG_8602.jpg

Vanilla wafer crust, New York filling, some topped with Walnuts or Pecans and brown sugar, some swirled with chocolate before baking, some left plain.

5793154598_4af83c2e8a.jpg

Here is my effort for a Baked Lemon Cheesecake (using Philadelphia as a base). Had a lot of lemon juice in it so it is very lemon but I have found it works quite well, and am enjoying snacking on it.
Am just beginning to cook a bit now, mainly focusing on simple desserts and seeing how I go with them before trying out mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom