• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Happy Halloween!

We made some cupcakes yesterday for a charity bakesale:

OINI4.jpg

And a bunch of candy apples:

Q8WHh.jpg

And I carved this:

gQsGk.jpg

wtZbp.jpg

ObRSN.jpg

RcFiZ.jpg

:D

Ferrio

Banned
Wow the Nyan cat pumpkin is amazing. You should get a cheap MP3 player, put the song on it and put it on loop inside of the thing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ferrio said:
Wow the Nyan cat pumpkin is amazing. You should get a cheap MP3 player, put the song on it and put it on loop inside of the thing.

Haha, well we're thinking of putting it on the concierge desk in the lobby downstairs since kids aren't allowed to go door to door in our condo. I think a looping nyancat thing would drive the concierge insane.

Panzon

Hey everyone recently I've been seriously considering becoming a chef and learning how to cook everything I possibly can. I dont mind if i dont become really good at pastry or baking but do want to be the best I can be cooking all kinds of food. I have no experience and have wanted to do this for many years now but was always reluctant to pursuing it for dumb reasons. I would like you to recommend me a great beginners book just so I can get all the basics down packed. I can't afford to go to culinary school at this time in my life. Please GAF help me out with a book that explains small, basic and important details about everything in the kitchen

Zaptruder

Banned
Divvy said:
Happy Halloween!

We made some cupcakes yesterday for a charity bakesale:

And a bunch of candy apples:

And I carved this:

wtZbp.jpg

:D

Fucking Amazing dude. I hope to see this frequently reposted as an internet meme.

Made this a week ago, meant to post it sooner. Steak was marinated in a mix of a blue cheese vinaigrette dressing with a splash of that chianti and cooked to a medium rare. Came out really tasty. Pasta wasn't anything special, just cheese tortellini with a tomato/basil store bought sauce.

65qqf.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Panzon said:
Hey everyone recently I've been seriously considering becoming a chef and learning how to cook everything I possibly can. I dont mind if i dont become really good at pastry or baking but do want to be the best I can be cooking all kinds of food. I have no experience and have wanted to do this for many years now but was always reluctant to pursuing it for dumb reasons. I would like you to recommend me a great beginners book just so I can get all the basics down packed. I can't afford to go to culinary school at this time in my life. Please GAF help me out with a book that explains small, basic and important details about everything in the kitchen
Throw every romantic idea of cooking out of your head and get realistic. If you don't mind shit pay, no social life, and getting burned and yelled at then go for it. But don't pay for school unless you are rich. Not worth it, just ask if you can stage at a restaurant that you think has good food and start from the bottom. That's where you might only start one notch up if you do go to school but its not that far up.

Whatever you do make sure you have a backup plan in case you quit because a lot of people do.

Panzon

Zyzyxxz said:
Throw every romantic idea of cooking out of your head and get realistic. If you don't mind shit pay, no social life, and getting burned and yelled at then go for it. But don't pay for school unless you are rich. Not worth it, just ask if you can stage at a restaurant that you think has good food and start from the bottom. That's where you might only start one notch up if you do go to school but its not that far up.

Whatever you do make sure you have a backup plan in case you quit because a lot of people do.
A chef in the hotel I worked at told me the same thing and the truth is I dont mind the low pay and I work really hard at everything I do so I expect good things from myself and I am definitely not a quitter so Im just gonna go for it. I appreciate the advice and the help

Dinner!

XfsLLl.jpg

NLnjWl.jpg

Gala apples stuffed with Gorgonzola and capped with a tweel of bacon, vine tomatoes brined in balsamic vinegar w/ olives & wedges of olive oil soaked sourdough, side of sauteed mushrooms/roasted garlic couscous + a glass of red.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody! keep it coming!
I am quite jealous fof the BBQ action because I can't grill anymore. All stores have taken the charcoal off retail for winter reasons, but temperatures around this part of the world are still spring/summer-like :(

Zyzyxxz said:

Harsh but true words. professional cooking is not about running honneurs in a fancy restaurant, it's about permanent physical and psychological stress. Being a chef / line cook is a demanding job in an extreme environment.

slidewinder said:
That sounds like velveting to me, in which case you're supposed to first deep fry the egg-white-and-cornstarch-coated chicken in some pretty cool oil. Then the oil gets dumped out and the chicken later gets stir-fried for real (well, the link explains it better).

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that calls for stir-frying chicken so coated at the usual extreme heat with non-deep-frying amounts of oil.

It's velveting. A lot of chinese stir-fry recipes don't discuss the velveting process. It's one of the reasons why it's hard to recreate take-out at home. Personally I find the step to be overly time consuming, especially if you're cooking for more than one person. In general, stir-fry is hard to do at home because of the steps and the lack of heat from most home cook tops. You can make delicious and comparable dishes, but it's never quite the same.

Panzon said:

You said you're not going to culinary school, but you should still read this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/culinary-school-grads-ripped-off_n_950107.html

I just had meatballs for the first time, edible ones at least, today. They were mind-blowingly awesome---doubly so in that my talks with the people prior led me to think they were made of turkey, yet what I apparently wound up with instead after asking them on the phone as I called them up with feedback on the meal was high quality, Ultra-fine ground beef loaded up with breadcrumbs, seasonings, baked off, then stewed in a giant thing of freshly done from scratch marinara ALL DAY! Served in a giant wheat loaf with some good mozzarella both lining the bread and on top of the heap of meatball'ish sauce and I haven't been this satisfied in a meal for a good while.

Random aside: So, I heard some as yet unknown facts on lard the other night---specifically that there are 3 kinds with one essentially being the God-King of the lot though much harder to find done proper as opposed to some kinda mix with the lesser versions or some other junk.

What stories can IronGAF share on this "Leaf Lard"? It seems to be a badass option for pie-baking....and pizza pan lining too by my reckonings...

For everything lard, you want to go to a carniceria or a good Mexican supermarket. (And get some fresh chicharrónes while you're there.)

You can also buy big buckets of shelf-stable leaf lard ("Snow White" is a pretty commonly available brand), though that includes a portion of hydrogenated lard to keep it all from going rancid, which might detract a little from the awesomeness.

It really is great stuff, though. Amazing for deep-frying (the french fries, OMG), as well.

Panzon said:

Get a copy of Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential

Panzon

RobotChant said:
It's velveting. A lot of chinese stir-fry recipes don't discuss the velveting process. It's one of the reasons why it's hard to recreate take-out at home. Personally I find the step to be overly time consuming, especially if you're cooking for more than one person. In general, stir-fry is hard to do at home because of the steps and the lack of heat from most home cook tops. You can make delicious and comparable dishes, but it's never quite the same.

You said you're not going to culinary school, but you should still read this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/culinary-school-grads-ripped-off_n_950107.html
Damn :( sad to read this and a review i read about the art institute of NY (where I live). This is part of the reason I wouldn't dare go to culinary school. I dont wanna spend the next 5 to 10 years trying to pay off these massive loans

Panzon

Technosteve said:
Get a copy of Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential
Will do thank you. BTW I just made my first tacos and am pretty pleased with it. My wife loves but i believe I can make it much better
YqXnVl.jpg

GiJoccin

So, the lady friend wants an "epic" dinner. she definitely wants lemon+thyme focaccia, and lemon bars. she also wants some sort of BBQ.

I was wondering if anyone had any favorite BBQ suggestions i could take a look at making - something i can make in an oven or stove top

thespot84

GiJoccin said:
So, the lady friend wants an "epic" dinner. she definitely wants lemon+thyme focaccia, and lemon bars. she also wants some sort of BBQ.

I was wondering if anyone had any favorite BBQ suggestions i could take a look at making - something i can make in an oven or stove top

you have a crock pot?

Anybody ever cooked with fresh chiles de arbol or cayenne chiles? Bought some of each at a farmer's market, and am wondering if I should just dry them. Neither are very fleshy.

GiJoccin said:
nope

she clarified in that she does not, in fact, want BBQ - i'm thinking of making http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/01/chard-and-white-bean-stew/ and need an idea for protein to go with it

I made something similar to that, but because it had white beans, chickpeas, and farro, I didn't need to pair it with a protein since that was plenty filling already.

http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2011/10/risotto-style-farro/

But if you're feeling like you NEED a meat to go on the side of that, I'd suggest something light like a roast chicken (search for Thomas Keller's roast chicken -- simple and easy) or a pan-fried fillet of fish with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon for seasoning.

slidewinder said:
Anybody ever cooked with fresh chiles de arbol or cayenne chiles? Bought some of each at a farmer's market, and am wondering if I should just dry them. Neither are very fleshy.

Yep. We use fresh fresnos in this sweet and sticky tempeh: http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2010/03/sweet-spicy-sticky-tempeh-its-whats-for-dinner/

I have a cayenne bush out back, so I have plenty of fresh cayenne when the weather gets hot. One great way to have them is just to take one or two (depending on your heat tolerance), slice it, fry with some olive oil and garlic till both are soft, then toss with cooked pasta (pasta olio with a kick).

nakedsushi said:
I have a cayenne bush out back, so I have plenty of fresh cayenne when the weather gets hot. One great way to have them is just to take one or two (depending on your heat tolerance), slice it, fry with some olive oil and garlic till both are soft, then toss with cooked pasta (pasta olio with a kick).
Oh, that's a good idea. Thanks.

Tom Penny

Anyone who likes to cook. I can honestly say this is one of the best cook books hands down. Easy to understand. Shows many techniques and all the dishes are on point.

51xHRcoqEgL._SS500_.jpg

The other I was coming home from work. I was hungry so I picked-up the phone to order some hamburgers. But then I changed my mind and went straight to the kitchen. I poached myself some eggs, and got some pickles and cheese with it.

It felt so good. I mean I'm not a great cook, it wasn't a great meal but it gave me a feel of accomplishment and saved me 10 bucks.

Macca

caffeinated said:
The other I was coming home from work. I was hungry so I picked-up the phone to order some hamburgers. But then I changed my mind and went straight to the kitchen. I poached myself some eggs, and got some pickles and cheese with it.

It felt so good. I mean I'm not a great cook, it wasn't a great meal but it gave me a feel of accomplishment and saved me 10 bucks.
That sounds pretty good man! I'd eat and enjoy that. Food you make always tastes better and it seems like you killed it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Right now I'm trying out a french onion soup recipe.

Basically you bake the onions in a dutch oven with butter and salt for about 2 - 2.5 hours, then triple deglaze them on the stove top with water and dry sherry before adding the broth.

Could be epic, or could be a lot of work for nothing.

Also in the works right now are 15 pounds of pork shoulder with a dry rub on them resting in the fridge. I plan to smoke them overnight for about 12-16 hours for pulled pork sandwiches.

I'll be making a mustard/vinegar/beer based bbq sauce as well as another traditional bbq sauce.

Pictures to follow later.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
CrankyJay said:
Right now I'm trying out a french onion soup recipe.

Basically you bake the onions in a dutch oven with butter and salt for about 2 - 2.5 hours, then triple deglaze them on the stove top with water and dry sherry before adding the broth.

Could be epic, or could be a lot of work for nothing.

Also in the works right now are 15 pounds of pork shoulder with a dry rub on them resting in the fridge. I plan to smoke them overnight for about 12-16 hours for pulled pork sandwiches.

I'll be making a mustard/vinegar/beer based bbq sauce as well as another traditional bbq sauce.

Pictures to follow later.

I'm coming to your house tomorrow!

D2YHA.jpg

Good eats tonight!

Meat: Applegate Farms Uncured Pepperoni Very awesome and I think the biggest pepperoni I've ever seen---slim to no shrinkage when cooked up compared to pretty much all I can reckon prior.

Crumble: Simply 7 Creamy Dill Lentil Chip Not as good as the Bruschetta by my tastes, but definitely up there on overall comparable quality in absolute terms as I'm just not a raging Dill fan.

Cheese: St Nectaire Laitier Fermier (Raw Milk) Very soft to the point it is difficult to really cut into so much as mash n' tear, but still not as soft as, say, Brie or some such. It melted/tasted great and had that nice "bite n' pull back strands" effect going---a rather nice random find!

CrankyJay

Banned
Sorry for the crappy picture, but I just pulled my pork shoulders off the smoker to rest for a few hours. They're wrapped in foil and then placed in a thermos container to keep warm and collect their juices.

YT4ye.jpg

Zyzyxxz

CrankyJay said:
Sorry for the crappy picture, but I just pulled my pork shoulders off the smoker to rest for a few hours. They're wrapped in foil and then placed in a thermos container to keep warm and collect their juices.

http://i.imgur.com/YT4ye.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

So whens the party? Did I mention that I love you.

Anyway for a continuation of my last post since I'm back from China. In case you missed it: [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32063147&postcount=11256[/url]

So now for part 2: Also somebody mentioned I should eat hairy crabs and I ended up doing so, dam so difficult to eat but so damn good! The roe was pretty good in the one I tried!

random street stall
[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6048/6318590468_79f330fb9e_b.jpg

squid ink pasta
6318070941_b24571ba68_b.jpg

seafood rice burger at Mos Burger: good in a weird way
6318071541_6004f0e77b_z.jpg

I definitely got fat from eating at 3 difference tonkatsu places, this is one of them:
6318592372_d77688c064_b.jpg

For the finale A5 wagyu yakiniku from Iroha in Hong Kong. Just these two small plates of meat themselves cost me $70 USD but it was worth it for a once in a lifetime thing.
6318072459_ede740a322_z.jpg

6318072861_8797e18545_z.jpg

6318073585_8155057484_z.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

In a few hours. I'd gladly trade some of my bbq for the amazing stuff you make.

Interestingly...now that they're in the cooler keeping warm, they're losing about 1 degree every 10 minutes, so the heat is holding pretty well. The site where I picked up this tip from claims you can get up to a max of like 4 hours doing this but by my math 1 degree every 10 minutes will get me a lot further than 4 hours unless there is some mathematical heat drop off that I'm not aware of.

MrBig

2H7Kt.jpg

Toppings: Onion, Red Pepper, jarred 4 cheese tomato sauce, moz, and a cajun spice chip crumble
Crust is stuffed with ranch and more moz
Tasted fantastic :)

Great-looking pizza, MrBig.

icarus-daedelus said:
So, I happened upon a whole NY strip for a very reasonable price; it's 8 1/2 lbs of meat in total, and while I can definitely cut off a few steaks for immediate usage, I will have to either freeze (no biggie) or roast the rest.

Thing is, I have never actually roasted strip loin - just rib, drool - and I was wondering if cooking GAF had any suggestions before I prowl the rest of the internet for ideas/times/temperatures.
Yeah, that'll make a nice roast. If you've got the time, I'd slow-roast it at 225F or so. Let it warm up to room temperature, and sear it all over for color first.

CrankyJay

Banned
2 pork butts yielded 2 trays worth of pulled pork. They turned out better than I expected. The bark was godly.

Another view of my 2 pork butts just off the smoker..12.5 hours total + 4 hours of rest in a thermal container.

7GnU6.jpg

OYNiE.jpg

Chris R

Not exactly cooking, but I thought I'd share.

Northern hemisphere gaf... Winter is here, and that means one thing... EGG NOG!!!

http://imgur.com/MZuts.jpg all the ingredients prepared and ready.

I double the recipe but here it is

2 eggs
1/2 tsp nutmeg (freshly grated)
3 oz sugar
2 oz brandy
2 oz spiced rum
4 oz heavy cream
6 oz milk

Blend eggs for 90-120 seconds, add sugar in batches, then blend the remaining ingredients.

Goes great in a hot cup of coffee after a hard day at work. Never going back to store bought again!

Zyzyxxz said:
For the finale A5 wagyu yakiniku from Iroha in Hong Kong. Just these two small plates of meat themselves cost me $70 USD but it was worth it for a once in a lifetime thing.
6318072459_ede740a322_z.jpg

6318072861_8797e18545_z.jpg

WOW. My eyes are drooling.

Where are you going for the street food? My parents are planning a trip back to HK next year (mom hasn't been back for 40 years, dad hasn't been back for 25) and they have this notion in their minds that street food doesn't exist there anymore. :/ Would really appreciate some tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom