• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dyonPT said:
No, I am just a guy who loves to bake and make deserts, I am no professioal, I am quite an amator ;)

You can do as me and far better, remember...practise makes perfection ;)

That's impressive. Your pastries definitely look pro-level. Same as your food photography.

Gvaz

Banned
IronGaf, I want to cook more veggie and protein heavy foods and less carby foods for working out.

What are some good recipies I should look at that are easy to make?

^-- How'd the ginger ale go? What kind of yeast did you use?

Made ribollita on Monday since I had leftover beans and stale bread handy. Came out delicious but monochromatic even though I added some zucchini for color.

6284204800_f3d356413b.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Throw pumpkin on beans and tomato sauce and sofrito, simmer for like 10 minutes, you'll love it. Add a piece of ham for a smoky flavor on top.

BertramCooper said:
I always enjoy pumpkin ravioli with a brown butter sauce.
Seconded. Or if you want to switch it up, make pumpkin ashak, an Afghani version of it.

Also Onkel, is that a bowl of mini Ritter Sport I see? Nice ;).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thank you all for the suggestions. unfortunately (!) the pumpkin seemed to be raised for decorative purposes only, the inside smelled like a pile of manure. Anyway, behold the puuuure eeeviiil:

bbac823c.jpg

<3

hrHQk.jpg

Boo!

Not much radically new this time around, just a solid time of it.

Cheese: Antonella Formaggio Roasted Garlic, Tomato & Basil Perhaps a tad better than their previous incarnation of Pepperoni/Marinara, but overall still a rather tasty and easy melting one.

Crumble: Waterthins Parmesan & Garlic Twists Decent little cheese twist thing which surprised me as generally I've not found such things to actually have all that much flavour---definitely not a problem with this one. Not a thing that could really be crumbled aside from a mortar & pestle, but a good side accompaniment.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ElectricThunder said:
Boo!

Not much radically new this time around, just a solid time of it.

Cheese: Antonella Formaggio Roasted Garlic, Tomato & Basil Perhaps a tad better than their previous incarnation of Pepperoni/Marinara, but overall still a rather tasty and easy melting one.

Crumble: Waterthins Parmesan & Garlic Twists Decent little cheese twist thing which surprised me as generally I've not found such things to actually have all that much flavour---definitely not a problem with this one. Not a thing that could really be crumbled aside from a mortar & pestle, but a good side accompaniment.

Looks good, but why do you always only put three slices of pepperoni on each time? I would load those things with as much pepperoni they could hold! :p

RatskyWatsky said:
Looks good, but why do you always only put three slices of pepperoni on each time? I would load those things with as much pepperoni they could hold! :p

A few reasons:

1. This in particular is large cut chorizo, so not a whole lot would really fit on it. In theory, if I took 3 gigantic bites, I'd then have a nice piece of meat per bite---go rough symmetry~
2. Rationing to stretch things a bit longer as I suffer for variety/am in not-good financial straits.
3. Given this past great while I've been using the Naan as a base, well, these things generally are not what you'd call a level surface despite my efforts to mold them a tad. Given I already have fairly regular woes with oil coming off the thing on all smooth, curved sides down into the oven---even more meat would probably result in some serious mess! lol

I'm now out of chorizo though, so the plan is to grab some of this Applegate Farm stuff that has only recently cropped up. Guess this means I'll be throwing some actual Pepperoni on things for the first time in a long while if that's the first one I find....believe that was at Target with the Salame at Ingles...

OnkelC said:
thank you all for the suggestions. unfortunately (!) the pumpkin seemed to be raised for decorative purposes only, the inside smelled like a pile of manure. Anyway, behold the puuuure eeeviiil:

bbac823c.jpg

<3
etiolate's mom made some curry pumpkin soup that was very good a couple days ago. Do you just not like the way pumpkin tastes or was it this particular pumpkin that was not very appealing?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrystalGemini said:
etiolate's mom made some curry pumpkin soup that was very good a couple days ago. Do you just not like the way pumpkin tastes or was it this particular pumpkin that was not very appealing?
yes and yes :(

Edit: we had a "Hackbraten / Falscher Hase / Meat Loaf" discussion a few pages back, the wife and I made one for dinner tonight. pics upcoming.

CrankyJay

Banned
00MI0WBRN04%20TT_01.jpg

My new baby. Will be making some hickory/apple smoked pork loin back ribs today. This will be my 4th smoke on this beauty...I can't believe how amazing this thing is.

CrankyJay said:
smoker pic.

Awesome. I've always wanted to get one/build my own ala flower pot method from Alton Brown, but haven't lived in a place yet with a backyard. Nice pickup!

On a side note, I made a post a few months back asking questions about culinary schools and heading into a career change. I just wanted to thank everyone who was supportive and offered me the encouraging advice. I decided to skip culinary school entirely and instead moved to NYC without any prior restaurant experience, asking for an apprenticeship. Long story short I've been working the past two months at an amazing restaurant in Manhattan, getting my ass kicked everyday but learning a lot about cooking. I love it. Thanks guys!

CrankyJay

Banned
cmonmanreally said:
Awesome. I've always wanted to get one/build my own ala flower pot method from Alton Brown, but haven't lived in a place yet with a backyard. Nice pickup!

On a side note, I made a post a few months back asking questions about culinary schools and heading into a career change. I just wanted to thank everyone who was supportive and offered me the encouraging advice. I decided to skip culinary school entirely and instead moved to NYC without any prior restaurant experience, asking for an apprenticeship. Long story short I've been working the past two months at an amazing restaurant in Manhattan, getting my ass kicked everyday but learning a lot about cooking. I love it. Thanks guys!

Awesome man. Living the dream.

Anyone got a favorite pizza sauce recipe? I've doing canned crushed tomatoes with some oregano and diced garlic and just letting it cook on the pie and been pretty happy with that lately.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slidewinder said:
Anyone got a favorite pizza sauce recipe? I've doing canned crushed tomatoes with some oregano and diced garlic and just letting it cook on the pie and been pretty happy with that lately.
that's about how I do it as well, maybe a pinch of salt as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Beautiful berries, dyon! (and tartelettes)

ElectricThunder said:
A few reasons:

1. This in particular is large cut chorizo, so not a whole lot would really fit on it. In theory, if I took 3 gigantic bites, I'd then have a nice piece of meat per bite---go rough symmetry~
2. Rationing to stretch things a bit longer as I suffer for variety/am in not-good financial straits.
3. Given this past great while I've been using the Naan as a base, well, these things generally are not what you'd call a level surface despite my efforts to mold them a tad. Given I already have fairly regular woes with oil coming off the thing on all smooth, curved sides down into the oven---even more meat would probably result in some serious mess! lol

I'm now out of chorizo though, so the plan is to grab some of this Applegate Farm stuff that has only recently cropped up. Guess this means I'll be throwing some actual Pepperoni on things for the first time in a long while if that's the first one I find....believe that was at Target with the Salame at Ingles...

Ah, that makes sense. :)

Alucrid said:
Do you have a blog or something? You should totally have a blog or something.

Yep, link.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Technosteve said:
Photo%20Oct%2030%2C%201%2047%2029%20PM.jpg

Just bought an Orange Cauliflower what to do with it?
remove the stem, cut off the roses, boil them in slightly salted water. In the meanwhile, roast breadcrumbs and some salt in a good amount of butter, drain the cauliflower, put in an oven pan, top off with the breadcrumbs and some shaved Parmesan, bake in oven for 15 Minutes and enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
here's the Hackbraten, served with carrots and potatoes:
6794eb70.jpg

no glitzy photo because it is not a glitzy dish, but it was tasty as hell. had about five slices of it. the gravy is basically the juices from braising, some red wine, broth, braised onions and a bit of tomato puree.

Just discovered this thread and was wondering if someone could re-upload the

Volume 1 of "Food For Thoughts", the long-awaited pdf magazine of the home-style cooking threads!

the two links on the first page are dead!

dyonPT

RatskyWatsky said:
Beautiful berries, dyon! (and tartelettes)

Yep, link.

Thank you very much :)

Alucrid said:
Thanks. What I can't thank are those four years of Spanish I took in school. google translate away!

hehehe, I am very happy for your interest in my blog. Hope you like it :) Oh...and that is not spanish...it's Portuguese :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Here are the ribs I mentioned this morning. Had a nice smoke ring on about half of the ribs. This was attempt #2 and they turned out juicier than last time, so I was happy about that. The rub I used this time had 2 tbsp of chili powder in it which provided it a nice kick of heat. \

Total cook time was about 3.5 hours.

tWZaVl.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Looks heavenly. ^^^^

A lot of chicken stir fry recipes tell you to dip the chicken in an egg white and cornstarch mixture, and then stir fry it after draining a bit of it off. But every time I place the chicken in the wok, the egg/cornstarch mixture always sticks to the bottom and sides, and sort of clumps together into little balls of goo. So I stopped doing that, and instead just stir fry the chicken without dipping it in anything. Is there any way to prevent the sticking? I've tried more oil, less oil, more heat, etc. and every time the egg/starch mixture always comes off and clumps together.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Coincidentally, I just made orange beef stir fry about an hour ago. I tossed the beef in some cornstarch first, but no egg white (which is something I associate more with actual frying or deep frying rather than stir fry). No clumps or sticking whatsoever, and it helps the sauce adhere more to the meat.

CrankyJay

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Looks heavenly. ^^^^

A lot of chicken stir fry recipes tell you to dip the chicken in an egg white and cornstarch mixture, and then stir fry it after draining a bit of it off. But every time I place the chicken in the wok, the egg/cornstarch mixture always sticks to the bottom and sides, and sort of clumps together into little balls of goo. So I stopped doing that, and instead just stir fry the chicken without dipping it in anything. Is there any way to prevent the sticking? I've tried more oil, less oil, more heat, etc. and every time the egg/starch mixture always comes off and clumps together.

Not sure. Could be a few things. Oil isn't hot enough possibly. That doesn't mean turn up the heat (I never cook higher than a 7 on my stove top, I use gas), that means let the pan get hotter for longer, and then add the oil. Wait until you see a faint wisp of smoke before adding your protein. You should hear a sizzle right away.

In terms of dipping the chicken, you could try flour on the chicken first, then egg, then corn starch. Then let it sit for like 20 minutes so it sets on the chicken. A wire rack is useful for this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am making French onion soup for the first time and the recipe I have notes to let the onions cook down in butter and olive oil with sugar and salt sprinkled in, and it notes after 40 minutes on medium low the onions will be brown and caramelized, but mine haven't changed colors at all. Why would this be? I'm just using a regular soup pan not a Dutch oven.

Should I just continue on?

CrankyJay

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
I am making French onion soup for the first time and the recipe I have notes to let the onions cook down in butter and olive oil with sugar and salt sprinkled in, and it notes after 40 minutes on medium low the onions will be brown and caramelized, but mine haven't changed colors at all. Why would this be? I'm just using a regular soup pan not a Dutch oven.

Should I just continue on?

Keep going. Sounds like your heat is too low. Mind sharing the recipe? I'm looking to make some myself next weekend.

dyonPT

CrankyJay said:
Here are the ribs I mentioned this morning. Had a nice smoke ring on about half of the ribs. This was attempt #2 and they turned out juicier than last time, so I was happy about that. The rub I used this time had 2 tbsp of chili powder in it which provided it a nice kick of heat. \

Total cook time was about 3.5 hours.

tWZaVl.jpg

Oh my...Good ribs!!

3.5 hours?? :D

CrankyJay

Banned
dyonPT said:
Oh my...Good ribs!!

3.5 hours?? :D

Yeah, was cooking around 275. During hour 3 I foil wrapped them with some water to steam them up a bit. You can see the meat receding off of the bone. I also gave it the tooth pick test and they slide right through so I figured they were done.

RatskyWatsky said:
Looks heavenly. ^^^^

That sounds like velveting to me, in which case you're supposed to first deep fry the egg-white-and-cornstarch-coated chicken in some pretty cool oil. Then the oil gets dumped out and the chicken later gets stir-fried for real (well, the link explains it better).

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that calls for stir-frying chicken so coated at the usual extreme heat with non-deep-frying amounts of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom