• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danielsan said:
Dear GAF.
I'm in a bit of a pickle.
On Saturday I will have to host a dinner for me and 9 of my friends. I have very little cooking experience, a small kitchen, a small gas stove with four flames and virtually no idea what to prepare.

I would love to get some recommendations for a reasonably easy to prepare 3 course dinner for 10 people. Thanks in advance guys!

It sounds like your main limitation is appliances for cooking, and knowledge of cooking, so this meal suggestion is designed to transfer that responsibility away from you.

First course - No cooking required - Go to your grocers and find some nice dried cured meats, some nice water crackers or whatever crackers you prefer. You could also pick up some fine olives (my favourite is garlic stuffed), pickles, pepperoncini, etc. to complement the board. If you want to add a little flair, buy a melon and some prociutto and take individual slices of prosciutto and wrap around the melon. Crack some pepper on this if desired. You could also pick up some jarred antipasto to serve with the crackers. A little pricey, but one of my favourite things.

People can pick away and enjoy the appetizers.

Course 2 - A whole lotta pasta. I won't give you a specific pasta recipe (you can find a ton of spaghetti sauce recipes online), but making a traditional marinara meat sauce or bolognese or something in a large crockpot should be relatively easy and hassle free. You can start it in advance, and just set it on low so it sits on the stove patiently until it is time to eat. Delicious and filling. Don't forget to buy some fresh parmesan. Serve with a caesar salad and garlic bread.

Course 3 - Dessert - Tough one. Most desserts take a bit of effort, and I'm still not sure what kinds of bakeware you might have, so...

I specifically didn't mention cheese at the appetizer, so that for dessert you could have a fruit and cheese board. Get some strawberries, grapes, orange and apple slices, whatever fruit you want and serve with the cheese. If you and your friends imbibe, now would be a good time to pour some port or brandy, or if you prefer, gran marnier or cointreau. You can complement this fruit and cheese board with some gelatto or premium iced cream or sorbet. Keep it simple though. My favourites for this course that are satisfying but also feel somewhat refreshing would be a mint chocolate chip iced cream or an orange/citrus sorbet. Add a few cookies/digestive biscuits or chocolates to round out the course. I find that this kind of dessert, in addition to being hassle free, encourages a lot of interaction around the table, and people always find something they enjoy, and pick away at stuff so they have exactly the amount they want, instead of feeling obliged to eat a large piece of cake they aren't very excited about.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Danielsan said:
Dear GAF.
On Saturday I will have to host a dinner for me and 9 of my friends. I have very little cooking experience, a small kitchen, a small gas stove with four flames and virtually no idea what to prepare.

I would love to get some recommendations for a reasonably easy to prepare 3 course dinner for 10 people. Thanks in advance guys!

Hmm, as far as relatively passive/simple meals go and something that fits the cooler fall weather, maybe Bon Appetit's easy French onion soup, maple-orange roast pork (a 4lb pork loin should be enough for everyone and won't run much more than $10-12) with some Brussels sprouts, asparagus or green beans. You could try a fall fruit cobbler for dessert. Apple, plum, pear, etc...

Ferrio said:
Steamed Hams.
vhCLG.jpg

Danielsan said:
Dear GAF.

Does everyone eat meat? No dietary restrictions? Then continue on:

One of the first "feed a lot of people" things I made was corned beef stew. Super easy if you have a slow cooker, but also do-able on the stove-top.

Buy corned beef -- not the canned kind, the kind in the meat section that's usually in a sealed plastic bag like bacon or something. It should come with some spice or seasoning packet. Rinse and then slice that up into 1/2 - 1 inch slices. Slice up 1 medium onion and layer that on the bottom of your pot. Put the corned beef in and empty the seasoning packet into there too. Throw in a couple cloves of garlic (peel it!). Add in some bite-sized pieces of carrot and potato. Top it off with chopped cabbage. Put in enough water to just reach the top layer of cabbage.

If you use a slow cooker, just set it to high until it boils, then turn down to low. I usually cook this for 5-6 hours on low or however long it takes the meat to start falling apart and the carrots to be soft.

If using stove top, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to barely a simmer, and cover. Not sure how long it takes on the stove top, but my guess is 1-2 hours?

Usually there's enough salt in the corned beef where you don't need to add more salt to the soup, but feel free to adjust the seasoning to your liking. I would recommend fresh cracked black pepper to finish.

Serve with some crusty bread and a side salad.

kudos.

This isn't necessary aimed toward food advice, but more along the lines of career advice. I thought this would be the most appropriate place for it anyway. So...

I'm in culinary school and I'm still in my first "semester", and I'm having trouble deciding a career. I know I have plenty of time but I still thought I'd ask. I worked as a waiter and on a line for a while, enough to get the feel of the line and I know the long/odd hours make it a more burnout job than others. I love food but I feel like a bitch if I don't pursue a career in a fast pace environment, or I feel like I'm not doing what I'm meant to do. I feel like a line job will be short lived because I will grow to hate it, but maybe I don't truly understand working in an upscale organization. I have in the back of my mind possibly going into nutrition after finishing culinary school but I also feel nutrition won't bring out the "foodie" in me and seems like a cop out. An office job sounds dreary and even though I'm fascinated in both food and science, nutrition seems like an option that won't fit me. I want to be creative with food and not feel like I'm going to die in my early 30s due to stress. Any advice?

TL;DR
What are some options after culinary school for careers other than working line jobs?

thespot84

kudos. said:
TL;DR
What are some options after culinary school for careers other than working line jobs?

I have no basis for this but i always thought being a private chef for a super rich family that traveled a lot would be awesome

thespot84 said:
I have no basis for this but i always thought being a private chef for a super rich family that traveled a lot would be awesome

Along with that, you can try starting your own catering business. My friend has been doing that for a couple of years (she's CIA-trained and used to work pastry at a couple of well-regarded high-end restaurants in town) and she seemed to like the level of creativity and ownership in the product. But it is a lot more work because you have to handle the logistics of transporting food/supplies/equipment and have to be able to sell yourself.

edit:

Forgot to post dinner tonight, which was Korean tofu stew (soon dobu) with fresh pickles from my garden

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Had my first real taste of salmon tonight, although I didn't make it. Soooo good. My only experience with salmon was with the canned kind, several years ago. I didn't like it then, so I avoided it since. Fish + fresh squeezed lemon = heaven.

luoapp

RatskyWatsky said:
Had my first real taste of salmon tonight, although I didn't make it. Soooo good. My only experience with salmon was with the canned kind, several years ago. I didn't like it then, so I avoided it since. Fish + fresh squeezed lemon = heaven.

Baked? Try raw next time :D

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
RatskyWatsky said:

Salmon is amazing. I used to hate it when I was a kid but now its probably among my favourite foods.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
luoapp said:
Baked? Try raw next time :D

Grilled. I still have some in the fridge. I couldn't eat it all at the restaurant, so I had to get a takeaway.

My experiences with fish is really limited. Tuna is also really good, although I've only had the canned kind. :/ I'm sure grilled is also incredible. Too bad I live nowhere near the ocean or fresh water, or I'd be eating fish all the time.

I'm not sure if I'm ready for raw. Maybe some day. :)

Zyzyxxz

Reporting from China here and haven't taken pics of the food yet but its more expensive to eat here than I use to remember.

Usually entrees run $2-3 and now they are going for $4-5 but then again still no tax or tip required so its so much cheaper to eat here.

Gonna be in HK in a day or two and that's when I'll be posting pics of delicious foods.

Vaporak

Zyzyxxz said:
Reporting from China here and haven't taken pics of the food yet but its more expensive to eat here than I use to remember.

Usually entrees run $2-3 and now they are going for $4-5 but then again still no tax or tip required so its so much cheaper to eat here.

Gonna be in HK in a day or two and that's when I'll be posting pics of delicious foods.

Please do!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
RatskyWatsky said:
Whoo! I made stuff that weren't disasters! Cooking confidence regained! :p

Creamy pumpkin and sweet potato soup finished with some lime zest:

Beef and mushroom stuffed acorn squash:

Both were really good! Fist pump!

Could you share the recipes for both? I've been looking for soups, and always see squash at the store but never think of ways to use it.

EDIT: Also, anyone have good Indian or Thai dishes that are fairly healthy and cheap to make? I always walk by the Asian/Indian food section and want to make something, but am not sure what. :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:

Do It!

Thanks to everybody for sharing wonderful pics and text that looking at keeps me afloat in a sea of work-flavored shit at the moment.

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
Tofu stew looks awesome.
What in the world is a fresh pickle? :p

Hah I just realized my oxymoron. I guess I meant a quick pickle. I just picked it from my yard, chopped it up, and put it in a container with vinegar, sugar, garlic, and chile and stuffed it into a container for a few hours. Designed to be consumed in 1 week, not shelf life =)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
nakedsushi said:
Hah I just realized my oxymoron. I guess I meant a quick pickle. I just picked it from my yard, chopped it up, and put it in a container with vinegar, sugar, garlic, and chile and stuffed it into a container for a few hours. Designed to be consumed in 1 week, not shelf life =)

Was the dish hard to make? It looks very interesting and I am trying to find delicious, easy, "other culture" foods to make to break up the monotony. Have a recipe?

Zyzyxxz

Vaporak said:
Please do!

Unfortunately I am now stuck in CHina for at least a week longer so HK will have to wait but I'll try getting some of my China eats uploaded.

So far I'm also working on an article on where Chinese fine dining is going, so for those interested that will be done in another week or so.

luoapp

Zyzyxxz said:
Unfortunately I am now stuck in CHina for at least a week longer so HK will have to wait but I'll try getting some of my China eats uploaded.

So far I'm also working on an article on where Chinese fine dining is going, so for those interested that will be done in another week or so.

Get some Chinese crabs before it's too late, srsly!

Deadly Cyclone said:
Was the dish hard to make? It looks very interesting and I am trying to find delicious, easy, "other culture" foods to make to break up the monotony. Have a recipe?

Do you mean the tofu stew? It's very easy to make, but the hard part is getting the ingredients if you're not near any Korean or Asian market. The most important thing about the stew is gochujang (Korean chili paste):

20100601_gochujung2.jpg

If you can find it, you're good to go.

Ingredients:
- gochujang
- green onion
- napa cabbage or zucchini (you can put both in, but i like one or the other)
- garlic
- silken tofu (if you can't find that, get the softest you can find)
- one egg
- 2-3 dried anchovies(optional)

Instructions:
- Cut up the whites of the green onion into coins and fry them in 2-3 tsp of oil in a pot. Heat should be on medium
- After a couple of minutes, throw in a crushed clove of garlic.
- While keeping an eye on the garlic so it doesn't brown, slice up a cup of the nappa cabbage or zucchini. Cabbage should be in bite-sized slices and zucchini should probably be halved lengthwise and then sliced 1/4 inch thick.
- Throw the vegetables into the pot and stir to coat with oil. Stir fry until they start to wilt.
- Meanwhile, mix about 1 tablespoon (or more if you like it spicy. I end up using 2-3) of gochujang with 2-3 tablespoons hot water to dissolve it.
- Pour the gochujang/water mixture into the pot and stir to coat.
- Slice the tofu into flatish pieces, 1x1 inch square and no more than 1/2 inch thick. Be careful not to let it crumble too much. Put it carefully into the pot, spreading so that they're in an even layer.
- Pour in enough water to barely cover the tofu and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer on the stove for 10-15 minutes for the flavor to penetrate. You might need to add some salt to it too at this stage, so taste the soup and salt if neccessary.
- Right before serving, crack an egg on top, cover, cook for 7 minutes on low to let the egg poach.
- Slice up the greens of the green onion and scatter on top.
- Serve with a side of rice.

Zyzyxxz

luoapp said:
Get some Chinese crabs before it's too late, srsly!

I'd like to be I don't want to think about food too much at this point, relatives have been stuffing with food 3 times a day and I'm trying to lose weight in America as well.

Had some famous Dong Guan roast goose, damn its the new beef for me.

mTVhX.jpg

Yay for new cheese, and now having another few locally along with some technically new meat varieties to bolster my doings! Of course, this still comes down to getting ahold of them sometime next week providing no sellouts and such, but hey.

Cheese: Hubaner Original It eventually melts well, yet somehow maintained elasticity far moreso than the average cheese---might have made a difference if I shredded it proper versus slicing and then randomly tearing into assorted bits. Bit of oil, good flavor, all around another quite solid cheese.

Crumble: An odd thing called Popcorners: Kettle Variety Essentially, it is an air popped, natural-slanted chip dealie that tastes oddly enough quite like popcorn----not the greatest popcorn mind....but that slight buttery/corny sensation does pretty well manage. Seemed to work decently to me, particularly with the Tikka I spiked the pizza sauce with in concert.

dyonPT

Maklershed said:
No dyon today?

:D Better late than never ;)

OnkelC said:
give the man a break, he does more patisserie in a week than I do in a year ;)

hehe, but a man can never eat too much sweets ;)

Maklershed said:
I look forward to his Saturday posts. The stuff he makes always looks delicious and great presentation.

Many thanks :)

vanilla cake topped with caramel and "tâmaras"

bolo_tamara.jpg

DSC03852.JPG

DSC04022.JPG

DSC03914.JPG

DSC03924.JPG

Hope you guys like it:)

Zyzyxxz

@Dyon, you pastry looks delicious as always! I wish I could make more to eat but I tend to only take a bite of my own creations contrary to what you say a man can have too many sweets *rubs my fat belly*.

Mega post time! So far here is what I have for China and China: Mostly street food and a little bit of nice dining too

Grilled pancake, its freaking good and at only about $1 USD for this serving its a steal.
6271865939_4e8a99e526_b.jpg

Nothing like having super fresh fruit, especially dragon fruit
6271869051_b2a23e6aff_b.jpg

That goes for nuts as well, walnuts can be expensive in the U.S. but they are at most half the price in China so since my uncle offered I went at it.
6272397436_dda79dda7d_b.jpg

Delicious egg starts from a stall inside the Venetian (although I know there are better ones on the streets)
6271871627_d55b135d90_b.jpg

Street food scene is alive in Macau as well: This stall has a lady who will boil/poach skewers of balls, meat, fish, anything in a soup that has probably been gaining flavor from boiling stuff all day. They also grill the meat skewers if you are into that too.
6272398364_76c4021937_b.jpg

There are tons of these shops selling famous Macau style jerky made from either beef or pork and in many variations of cuts and spices. It's not really that dried so its still juicy and its pretty soft, in a way its like slow sun cooked and cured meat.
6272404258_abb56b80ab_b.jpg

6272403282_03b8caa101_b.jpg

I really liked the beef offal from this one nondescript stall that had tendons, honeycomb tripe, intenstine, and stomach. Looks nasty but its so delicious especially with a splash of curry sauce on top.
6271872673_072fc116e0_b.jpg

6271874209_65ebcbaae0_b.jpg

This one expensive ass restuarant (by Chinese standards) I went to in Dong Guan had this amazing dish of Chinese style roast pork, the skin was perfectly crispy and the meat was extremely succulent. At $10 it was expensive for such a small portion but it was worth it to taste it.
6271868359_ceef197683_b.jpg

And sorry for the crappy cell phone pic but Dong Guan is known for their roast goose so we had to have it and $5 USD for half a goose is no small deal!
6272491944_da54882312_b.jpg

dyonPT

Zyzyxxz said:
@Dyon, you pastry looks delicious as always! I wish I could make more to eat but I tend to only take a bite of my own creations contrary to what you say a man can have too many sweets *rubs my fat belly*.

Delicious egg starts from a stall inside the Venetian (although I know there are better ones on the streets)
6271871627_d55b135d90_b.jpg

[/IMG]

hehe, thanks :)

This sweet in portugal are called "Pasteis de Nata" :) And they are soo gooood :)

Zyzyxxz

dyonPT said:
hehe, thanks :)

This sweet in portugal are called "Pasteis de Nata" :) And they are soo gooood :)

Yeah definitely wanna try a 100% made Portuguese version since I grew up eating these tarts thinking they were Chinese most of my childhood.

dyonPT

Zyzyxxz said:
Yeah definitely wanna try a 100% made Portuguese version since I grew up eating these tarts thinking they were Chinese most of my childhood.

Here in Portugal it's almost our Nacional cake ;)

Everybody loves it :)

We have several versions. There is one shop in lisbon that makes a unique version since 1837 ;)

Here is the're site: http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/

I have done one tart like this, here is the recipe:

http://www.aculpaedasbolachas.com/2010/10/tarte-pastelao-de-nata.html

Offcouse the originals are better, but still very good :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dyonPT said:
:D Better late than never ;)

hehe, but a man can never eat too much sweets ;)

Many thanks :)

vanilla cake topped with caramel and "tâmaras"

Hope you guys like it:)

Recipe???

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dyon, are you a professional, or do you just do this at home? Either way, all your stuff is incredible. I hope to make sweets as good as you do some day. :)

dyonPT

RatskyWatsky said:
Dyon, are you a professional, or do you just do this at home? Either way, all your stuff is incredible. I hope to make sweets as good as you do some day. :)

No, I am just a guy who loves to bake and make deserts, I am no professioal, I am quite an amator ;)

You can do as me and far better, remember...practise makes perfection ;)

Vaporak

I made these today for lunch. My roomates affectionately named them "Om Nom Noodles" after liking them so much the first time I made them for everyone.

They're Udon noodles with sauteed carrots and ground pork, with a ton of peanut sauce and a good amount of a spicy chili sauce.
IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom