• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smallCIMG3155.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
Made some oden yesterday since it was cold and its the perfect weather for it. The broth was a mixture of dashi and homemade brown chicken stock.
6358118019_0b383e5e53_z.jpg

Looks great! Oden always sounds good, but then whenever I think too much about it and how it's just a big ol' bowl of meat paste in different shapes,I get kind of grossed out.

BTW, that placemat thing you have your bowl on -- we use that to open jars with tight lids. WORKS GREAT.

HEjvM.jpg

Crumble: Same deal as last time, but the Garlic ones. Definitely a far, far more subtle taste versus the Cajun---but still a solid accompaniment.

Cheese: Beecher's Marco Polo Madagascar I'd heard this was one of the better cheese outfits to stumble onto via some older shows several months back on Cooking Channel, and after tonight I'd say that's likely accurate. Pricy, as in $20/lb, but I scored the lone piece in the $7 range which suits just fine. Melts very well, not overly oily, good bit of black pepper to it----really a stellar cheese.

I'm always a fan of your desserts dyon although I've got to disagree with Flo and say I'm not huge on the white chocolate bark. I'm sure it tastes grand, though, as I'm in love with the taste of white chocolate. Maybe if you used milk chocolate for the shards, though, it would just convey how decadent the thing probably tastes? The actual cake itself looks really moist, though.

dyonPT

I'm always a fan of your desserts dyon although I've got to disagree with Flo and say I'm not huge on the white chocolate bark. I'm sure it tastes grand, though, as I'm in love with the taste of white chocolate. Maybe if you used milk chocolate for the shards, though, it would just convey how decadent the thing probably tastes? The actual cake itself looks really moist, though.

I love white chocolate :) But yes, I could have used any kind of chocolate, but used the white to create a contrast between the black and the white chocolate ;)

@dyon - amazing as always

Thankksss :)

Looking great dyonPT, like the white chocolate with sprinkles! Did you make those yourself?

Yes, i did it my self.

It was simples, here is how I did it :)

DSC05738.JPG

Melt the chocolate and prepare a table with vegetal paper.

DSC05744.JPG

Spread the chocolate :)

DSC05750.JPG

Sprincle and let it cool until it hardens :)

DSC05809.JPG

And its done :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Wifey cockblocked me on duck breast and a lamb roast.

Making breaded stuffed chicken breasts tonight with asiago and spinach as well as home made german potato salad.

Dynedom

Made a Shepherd's Pie with sweet potato. Wanted to use ground lamb but couldn't find any. Will do it next time. Came out pretty well.

LW628.jpg

l1f64.jpg

WedgeX

Banned
Finally started to get kind of adventurous with cooking.

Apple-stuffed acorn squash.

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

Needed to dice the apples some more. Otherwise delicious. Might add some apple cider when I re-heat one tomorrow for dinner.

Any suggestions on what to serve with it? Also, what wine might go with squash and apples?

Dynedom

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

Needed to dice the apples some more. Otherwise delicious. Might add some apple cider when I re-heat one tomorrow for dinner.

Any suggestions on what to serve with it? Also, what wine might go with squash and apples?

Pork is one of the first things that come to mind (in terms of what to serve with it).

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

I usually stuff my acorn squash with pumpkin or sunflower seeds. They toast up nicely when you roast the squash. My best friend has a recipe for pork stuffed acorn squash as Dynedom mentioned above that works well too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone have a good marinara sauce recipe? I love it in restaurants, but I can never seem to replicate the flavor at home.

Nope. These were skinless boneless breasts that I butterflied. Then I brushed on egg and coated in seasoned bread crumbs.

Oh, awesome. I'll have to try that out sometime.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone have a good marinara sauce recipe? I love it in restaurants, but I can never seem to replicate the flavor at home.

Oh, awesome. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Fried in pan to get golden brown on both sides then finished it off in the oven at like....350 for about 12-15 minutes.

trilobyte

Pre-Thanksgiving Meal: Fun with Seitan!

I decided to whip up a vegetarian General Tso dish tonight for an asian influenced pre-thanksgiving meal :) I usually make this with tofu but I thought I'd give it a try with some homemade seitan.

For those who don't know, seitan is made from high protein wheat gluten. After kneading and boiling it for some time, it comes out very chewy and meaty like.

The result was awesome! I haven't had General Tso's chicken in two years, but I'd say this came pretty close to the real deal. I'll probably stick with tofu for most occasions (it's faster and not deep fried) but this is a definite winner :)

The Ingredients
ceuw3x5

Seitan is done cooking, ready for batter and deep fry!
cpug4mj

Almost there....
bmork2m

Done!
d5ptlv4

Collete

Happy Thanksgiving!

Since I was home by myself this Thanksgiving I decided to make Japanese style curry from scratch. Was pretty good!

Curry and Rice:

DpHFH.jpg

Curry in the Pot:

AwRE7.jpg

Oh and also decided to make some curry bread from the leftovers of curry. I thought making it with sandwich bread would be an easy way to make it, but it tasted like there was no bread at all. But it tasted good anyways. I guess making the bread from scratch is better =p

Curry Bread (Kare Pan):

wBItj.jpg

Curry Bread sliced open (bad picture quality but oh well):

JQmfi.jpg

Collete

How do you make the curry bread? Just put the curry between two slices of bread and deep fry it with some kind of breading?

In this case yes.

The breading is panko, Japanese bread crumbs.

When I did bread from scratch, there was more steps, like letting the bread rise, etc.

trilobyte

Looks great! I've made seitan with vital wheat gluten before and it's always weird how it comes together all spongey like that. I like using the seitan for curry katsu.

Thanks! I usually only make it for a sausage substitue, this is the first time I used it for chicken - but it worked out pretty good.

TheExodu5

Banned
As our stovetop at home is terrible, and my mom doesn't want to buy a new one until she renovates the kitchen, I was thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing myself an induction element. Yay or nay? Any recommendations? Also, is it going to get hot enough to properly sear steak (~500 degrees F)?

I can surely take it with me when I move out anyways.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
As our stovetop at home is terrible, and my mom doesn't want to buy a new one until she renovates the kitchen, I was thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing myself an induction element. Yay or nay? Any recommendations? Also, is it going to get hot enough to properly sear steak (~500 degrees F)?

I can surely take it with me when I move out anyways.

Induction is fast and hot as hell, I caused my first kitchen fire after several years with an induction stovetop because it heated a skillet so much faster than expected. Be advised that not every cookware is compatile with induction stovetops.
Also, make sure that you get a high-performance induction element from a renowned manufacturer.

Here's a demonstration of how powerful induction can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=H2dxbMtrgms

TheExodu5

Banned
Induction is fast and hot as hell, I caused my first kitchen fire after several years with an induction stovetop because it heated a skillet so much faster than expected. Be advised that not every cookware is compatile with induction stovetops.
Also, make sure that you get a high-performance induction element from a renowned manufacturer.

Here's a demonstration of how powerful induction can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=H2dxbMtrgms

Thanks. What's a renowned manufacturer? I'd need a portable element, and not a full stovestop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom