• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Induction is fast and hot as hell, I caused my first kitchen fire after several years with an induction stovetop because it heated a skillet so much faster than expected. Be advised that not every cookware is compatile with induction stovetops.
Also, make sure that you get a high-performance induction element from a renowned manufacturer.

Here's a demonstration of how powerful induction can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=H2dxbMtrgms

The guy in the video sort of looks like you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pumpkin Pie with Praline and Coconut - Pecan Crust

Nb5PSl.jpg

It was really good, but next time I'll double the crust recipe as the bottom was way too thin.

Cranberry Peach Crumble

mLYKCl.jpg

Ruby Applesauce with Cranberries

Fdg04l.jpg

Dynedom

Made a meatloaf with a tomato glaze, served with potato puree (originally mashed potatoes but I ended up adding a bit too much milk and butter. Saved it from disaster though. Almost had a polenta consistency, haha)

ujxYF.jpg

xtUxS.jpg

wOxoz.jpg

No gravy because it was pretty moist already and the glaze had flavor. I might do a gravy next time though. Definitely needed something crunchy on the plate though. A texture contrast.

edit: Oomikami, that curry pan looks delicious. Mouth watering so hard right now. Same for your pumpkin pie, Ratsy.

wfHi3.jpg

Great way to round out a cloudy Saturday!

Cheese: New Bridge Garlic & Herb Cheddar Good melt, little oil, smells freaking fantastic and has a nice refreshing quality to it taste wise---likely due to them not being shy about the portion of Dill in in along the garlic and whatnot.

Crumble: Garlic Bible Bread Pretty much a flatbread of generally good but incredibly mild intensity I found in the Jewish section of Ingles. Eh, it works out solidly enough even if just kinda there----the garlic/onion powder to it tends to come through a bit after swallowing somehow.

This finally has me done with that Pepperoni to where I can move on to a new meat. Even better, Publix recently gained a few more cheeses and a new meat in their own right alongside some interesting stuff I've never seen before so that'll help liven things up going forward a bit longer.

Speaking of nifty bits: Hidden in the mess of the bacon section there, I found a package of Beef Bacon. Any..uh...experiences with that folks can share? If nothing else I guess it bodes well for eventually finding some Buffalo bacon and maybe even that Lamb Bacon I'd heard about in the fringes...

thespot84

I've never heard of any of the brands I can find that sell portable induction cook tops. :(

My mom bought one to help with thanksgiving, I think it was a fagor 12", worked quite nicely.

The whole 'boil water in 30 seconds' thing seems a bit inflated though. the max output is 1600 watts, which is nice but will still take a few minutes to boil a few quarts/liters.

Silkworm

Just curious, but does anyone here have any idea what I might do with some leftover braising liquid? I braised a turkey for Thanksgiving (recipe from recent issue of Cook's Illustrated) using the following ingredients: 2 tbsp unsalted butter, 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup dry white wine, 2 bay leaves, 3 chopped onions, 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, 0.5 oz of dried porcini mushrooms, 6 sprigs of parsley, and 6 sprigs of thyme. I used a fat separator to remove fat from the braising liquid. Approximately half of it was used to make gravy but I have something like 3 cups left that I don't know what to do with. It's pretty tasty so I'd rather not through it out unless there's no other option. Any suggestions what I could use it for? I suppose I could make more gravy, but I already have 2 cups worth from the other half so I'm not sure that I really need more gravy. But if that's the best way to use it, then I guess I could do that and freeze the extra gravy for later use. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

P.S. Hope all who cooked for themselves and/or others this past Thanksgiving had outstanding success!

NomarTyme

Made a meatloaf with a tomato glaze, served with potato puree (originally mashed potatoes but I ended up adding a bit too much milk and butter. Saved it from disaster though. Almost had a polenta consistency, haha)

ujxYF.jpg

xtUxS.jpg

wOxoz.jpg

No gravy because it was pretty moist already and the glaze had flavor. I might do a gravy next time though. Definitely needed something crunchy on the plate though. A texture contrast.

edit: Oomikami, that curry pan looks delicious. Mouth watering so hard right now. Same for your pumpkin pie, Ratsy.

I like this recipe please.

Yay for carob use!

Also, more timely than the Beef Bacon as that isn't just yet sitting in my house: How can one cook Farro? How long does it keep? I'm guessing it lies somewhere between Cous Cous and Rice in the general shake of things?

TheExodu5

Banned
show your options please.

Actually, I found one that I know the name of:
http://www.frigidairecanadastore.com/cooking/frigidaire-gallery-portable-induction-burner

Frigidaire. Should be good?

edit: reviews don't seem so great
http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FG...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

There's this one too:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040SYUEK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm wary of reports of squealing noise, however. That could get really annoying.

Dynedom

I like this recipe please.

For the meatloaf? Sure. You can find it here. If it doesn't auto-scroll there, scroll to the meatloaf recipe.

I used only lean ground beef, not a beef/pork combo (my grandma doesn't eat pork).

Also in my oven, I only cooked it for an hour (not an hour an 15 which is the maximum suggested cooking time). Came out moist and was still moist the day after, reheated in a microwave!

My advice is to be liberal with the salt and pepper: there is a lot of ground beef and mine was still under-seasoned slightly. Best way is to season and when you're done mixing, form a tiny thin patty and fry it in a pan until it's cooked and taste it. If it doesn't need salt, you're good to go.

Flo

I wanted to take before pictures but I forgot...

DEcU3.jpg

JbTQd.jpg

My oven often totally screws this banana bread up. It doesn't leaven (is this the right word?) well, my oven temperature seems off. It's still moist, most of the time it's fine, but this time it's a bit too much. When I took the picture it was high, now it has collapsed. Or maybe it hasn't been in long enough.. I have no idea how to fix this recipe (or my oven).

CrankyJay

Banned
Yesterday was my first attempt at a smoked beef brisket. It was a 7 pounder Choice cut. Honestly, next time I'll go to my local wholesaler and just get a select cut or less, but I was in a hurry.

24ZA7.jpg

3PhIG.jpg

Got a decent smoke ring on this, I used 1 chunk of hickory and 3 chunks of apple wood...but for some reason the smokiness wasn't as pronounced as I like so next time I will use more hickory.
UhPui.jpg

Finished plate...I made a homemade bbq sauce with ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon of the bbq rub I made, as well as some drippings from the meat.
Hid4L.jpg

Next time I will let the meat sit overnight with the rub on it. I only rubbed it an hour before putting it on the smoker.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yesterday was my first attempt at a smoked beef brisket. It was a 7 pounder Choice cut. Honestly, next time I'll go to my local wholesaler and just get a select cut or less, but I was in a hurry.

Hid4L.jpg

Next time I will let the meat sit overnight with the rub on it. I only rubbed it an hour before putting it on the smoker.

Looks damn good.

Silkworm

IMy oven often totally screws this banana bread up. It doesn't leaven (is this the right word?) well, my oven temperature seems off. It's still moist, most of the time it's fine, but this time it's a bit too much. When I took the picture it was high, now it has collapsed. Or maybe it hasn't been in long enough.. I have no idea how to fix this recipe (or my oven).

Have you considered getting an oven thermometer? Maybe that might help? That way if you set it at 350 F and it says its 325 F you could simply set your oven at 375 F to compensate (and of course check the thermometer to see if that's indeed the case) Otherwise, maybe an electrictian/applician repairman might be of use? However kitchen appliciances aren't necessarily always fixable, so if its your own oven, you might need to replace it. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, so hopefully someone here has better suggestions :)

Flo

Have you considered getting an oven thermometer? Maybe that might help? That way if you set it at 350 F and it says its 325 F you could simply set your oven at 375 F to compensate (and of course check the thermometer to see if that's indeed the case) Otherwise, maybe an electrictian/applician repairman might be of use? However kitchen appliciances aren't necessarily always fixable, so if its your own oven, you might need to replace it. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, so hopefully someone here has better suggestions :)

Thanks for the cents :) I've thought about doing that, but I think a good thermometer for ovens would cost .. not nothing. I don't know, have the feeling it will be expensive and I have no other use for it then seeing if my oven works. Do you (or anyone) know how it works with bread, the temperature/time relation?

Silkworm

Thanks for the cents :) I've thought about doing that, but I think a good thermometer for ovens would cost .. not nothing. I don't know, have the feeling it will be expensive and I have no other use for it then seeing if my oven works. Do you (or anyone) know how it works with bread, the temperature/time relation?

For an oven thermometer, you only need to spen $5-6 :) For instance, you could try the CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer at Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAIK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for other issues, how's your baking soda/baking powder? Are they still working at full capacity or have they been sitting around for a long time. They help with the rise of the loaf, so if they're off that might explain your issues. Unfortunately that's all I can think of at the moment, and I'm no bread expert, so perhaps someone else might have some other useful ideas :)

ChanHuk

Banned
is that non-stick or iron cast? I have been thinking of getting one for chicken, burgers and steaks. Worth it?

Never came across any restaurant that uses non-stick. It's always cast iron or stainless steel. If they have a chef's table, they might have copper cookware for looks.

:Beef brisket:

Still looks damn nice to me...been years since I've even had any sort of beef brisket.

Big B

I just discovered Amazon has tons of free ethnic cookbooks for kindle and kindle pc. egyptian, romanian, uzbek, burma, etc. yes!

Our Thanksgiving day feast:
6416866593_5cc234738f.jpg

Frop the top green dish clockwise: stir fried watercress with garlic, roast duck (bought), brined chicken (bought), spaghetti squash gratin, veggie kidney with basil, roast, potatoes, yamaimo and avocado salad, braised baked tofu, watercress again, veggie duck, wild rice and butternut squash pilaf, steamed catfish with scallions and ginger, braised short ribs, jellyfish salad. The pink things are pickled onions. Not shown: kale salad.

I also made a persimmon upside-down cake today:
6416866789_bf98d8278f.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Is this a good deal for a stand mixer? $209 after sale + $50 rebate:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z2L3L8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I went ahead and bought it. Had 4.5/5 star ratings...but I'm reading the reviews and the 1 star reviews are scaring me. It appears as if people are trying to overload this thing and the gears are stripping.

I plan on using this for light use, but wouldn't mind baking a loaf of bread here and there once in awhile or making pizza dough.

Flo

For an oven thermometer, you only need to spen $5-6 :) For instance, you could try the CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer at Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAIK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for other issues, how's your baking soda/baking powder? Are they still working at full capacity or have they been sitting around for a long time. They help with the rise of the loaf, so if they're off that might explain your issues. Unfortunately that's all I can think of at the moment, and I'm no bread expert, so perhaps someone else might have some other useful ideas :)

It does it with other doughs (store bought) as well. But since there are cheap thermometers as well, I think that's my best bet. Thank you!

_bluemoon

Been cooking alot of spanish food lately. Especially tapas style stuff and paella. Got myself a giant paella pan that takes up the whole stove top. Need to use all 4 burners for it lol.

Zyzyxxz

I went ahead and bought it. Had 4.5/5 star ratings...but I'm reading the reviews and the 1 star reviews are scaring me. It appears as if people are trying to overload this thing and the gears are stripping.

I plan on using this for light use, but wouldn't mind baking a loaf of bread here and there once in awhile or making pizza dough.

Just don't go crazy but to be honest if you are worried about reliability you could have bought an old one that was once made by constructed by Hobart and fully made in America. Just make sure yours has the steel gears as some of the cheaper more home friendly ones have shit power and gears.

Was eyeing that deal too but some of the reveiws put me off. Almost bought the 5.5qt at Costco for 250 after instant rebate. Was in a long as line and then decided I didn't really need it and put it back. There is an ongoing thread at SD on the Amazon deal, and questions about whether the rebate will come through.

CrankyJay

Banned
Was eyeing that deal too but some of the reveiws put me off. Almost bought the 5.5qt at Costco for 250 after instant rebate. Was in a long as line and then decided I didn't really need it and put it back. There is an ongoing thread at SD on the Amazon deal, and questions about whether the rebate will come through.

Why wouldn't it come through? Never had a problem with rebates ever. I think people who don't get them don't read the instructions for these things. Plus they take like 8 weeks or more to come in.

Zyzyxxz

Why wouldn't it come through? Never had a problem with rebates ever. I think people who don't get them don't read the instructions for these things. Plus they take like 8 weeks or more to come in.

Actually some companies have been known to be very shady with rebates. It depends on the companies that handle them and how strict they are with punctuation.

Never know, they might reject yours one day because you did not have the right period in place.

CrankyJay

Banned

I think of it like this...it has an average of 4.5/5 stars. And most people who do reviews are people who are pissed off because they got a defective one.

I'll report back if it breaks after 1 use. =)

Been cooking alot of spanish food lately. Especially tapas style stuff and paella. Got myself a giant paella pan that takes up the whole stove top. Need to use all 4 burners for it lol.

I really want a huge paella pan. Damn electric stove-tops, worse invention ever. Guess I could throw it on the grill though..

Flynn

I really want a huge paella pan. Damn electric stove-tops, worse invention ever. Guess I could throw it on the grill though..

My mom sent me one of those custom paella grills for my anniversary -- the mailorder dealy came with a huge pan and a bunch of ingredients like saffron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom