• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sU9El.jpg

Best use of the last 2 weeks small number of left over cheese shards last night---ample Zatar and grated Romano included of course.

Here is this years dinner and pies (most focus on pies). 28 people from Norway, USA, Iran, Argentina, India, Germany and Estonia. Always a great time.

Dinner was turkey x2, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, grits, okra, black eyed peas w/bacon and jalapeño corn bread stuffing. all made from scratch (by my mother)

cimg0016x5kev.jpg

Then the pies :) Apple
cimg0010uuj43.jpg

Black current,
cimg0011qnj9l.jpg

Pumpkin,
cimg0014pkjvr.jpg

and Pecan.
cimg00128lk8r.jpg

Why wouldn't it come through? Never had a problem with rebates ever. I think people who don't get them don't read the instructions for these things. Plus they take like 8 weeks or more to come in.

There is some discrepancy between the model numbers Amazon was selling and the model numbers that qualify on the rebate form. Some SD members contacted Kitchenaid and they said the model Amazon was selling wouldn't qualify for the rebate. Amazon kept insisting it would qualify even though the numbers didn't match up. People were ordering and hoping that Amazon had the model numbers wrong on their end and that the model numbers on the box would eventually match up to the rebate form. However the issue has since been cleared up by Amazon and Kitchenaid. Since you've purchased one, here is a posting by Amazon on the comment page detailing what model number to write down to get your rebate:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ARVI2BBHC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Silkworm

Is this a good deal for a stand mixer? $209 after sale + $50 rebate:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z2L3L8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I went ahead and bought it. Had 4.5/5 star ratings...but I'm reading the reviews and the 1 star reviews are scaring me. It appears as if people are trying to overload this thing and the gears are stripping.

I plan on using this for light use, but wouldn't mind baking a loaf of bread here and there once in awhile or making pizza dough.

That looks like it was a good deal to me. I believe I have this same KitchenAid mixer which has all steel gears. I've had mine since I think 2008 and it still runs fine. I lucked out when Amazon had those different Black Friday offers back in 2008 where you had to be selected 1st to have a chance to put the item in your cart. Then it was a crap shoot if you could put the item in your cart before they sold out of the item (I think there was something like a 5-10x as many people who could try to purchase the actual number of items available; the item would be available for puchase at a set time and then you had to click as fast as possible to put it in your cart). While it was definitely something of a crap shoot, the discouts were really very steep back then. I ended up paying $70 for the mixer with free shipping and handling (no tax) and then I think there was a $50 rebate I could get from KitchenAid, so that mixer ended up costing me something like $20 in the end. Still if it broke on me for whatever reason, I'd definitely try to get the same brand and model again as it does a nice job in kneeding dough without any significant walking of the mixer. Perhaps the Series 5 KitchenAid mixers could do a similar job but I'm not so sure how well they'd be up to the task and they only accomidate 5 quarts, unlike the 6 qrt model that was on sale.

Anyway, have fun with your new mixer! :)

CrankyJay

Banned
There is some discrepancy between the model numbers Amazon was selling and the model numbers that qualify on the rebate form. Some SD members contacted Kitchenaid and they said the model Amazon was selling wouldn't qualify for the rebate. Amazon kept insisting it would qualify even though the numbers didn't match up. People were ordering and hoping that Amazon had the model numbers wrong on their end and that the model numbers on the box would eventually match up to the rebate form. However the issue has since been cleared up by Amazon and Kitchenaid. Since you've purchased one, here is a posting by Amazon on the comment page detailing what model number to write down to get your rebate:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ARVI2BBHC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

CrankyJay

Banned
That looks like it was a good deal to me. I believe I have this same KitchenAid mixer which has all steel gears. I've had mine since I think 2008 and it still runs fine. I lucked out when Amazon had those different Black Friday offers back in 2008 where you had to be selected 1st to have a chance to put the item in your cart. Then it was a crap shoot if you could put the item in your cart before they sold out of the item (I think there was something like a 5-10x as many people who could try to purchase the actual number of items available; the item would be available for puchase at a set time and then you had to click as fast as possible to put it in your cart). While it was definitely something of a crap shoot, the discouts were really very steep back then. I ended up paying $70 for the mixer with free shipping and handling (no tax) and then I think there was a $50 rebate I could get from KitchenAid, so that mixer ended up costing me something like $20 in the end. Still if it broke on me for whatever reason, I'd definitely try to get the same brand and model again as it does a nice job in kneeding dough without any significant walking of the mixer. Perhaps the Series 5 KitchenAid mixers could do a similar job but I'm not so sure how well they'd be up to the task and they only accomidate 5 quarts, unlike the 6 qrt model that was on sale.

Anyway, have fun with your new mixer! :)

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the same one...it's been out for a long while now. I think a major issue is the instruction manual is misleading in some of their instructions and people tried to make more than the mixer motor could handle.

To be honest my wife is the baker, not me, and she is usually making cake batters or cookie doughs. I thought it might nice for pizza dough once in awhile and maybe a single loaf of bread here and there. But people were trying to make double and quadruple batches of bread and stripping the gears.

If they say 14 cups of flour in the manual, they really mean 14 cups total ingredients, and 8 for whole wheat doughs.

Silkworm

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the same one...it's been out for a long while now. I think a major issue is the instruction manual is misleading in some of their instructions and people tried to make more than the mixer motor could handle.

To be honest my wife is the baker, not me, and she is usually making cake batters or cookie doughs. I thought it might nice for pizza dough once in awhile and maybe a single loaf of bread here and there. But people were trying to make double and quadruple batches of bread and stripping the gears.

If they say 14 cups of flour in the manual, they really mean 14 cups total ingredients, and 8 for whole wheat doughs.

Yeah, it's a powerful machine from what I can tell from my use of it. I've used it to make enough dough for two loaves of bread (8.5 in loaf pans) in the machine before without any isssues. Besides, kneeding the dough in the mixer is a heck of lot easier and less messy than doing it by hand and the end result seems just as good as if I had done it by hand ;-)

CrankyJay

Banned
Wow, was just reading the $50 rebate form. It comes with a 2 year subscription to Food + Wine magazine, but the fine print states I can send in a second rebate for and get $24 back instead of the subscription.

Silkworm

Can I have the recipe for these? They look amazing.

I'm not dyonPT, but he has a blog which is where he posts both the beautiful images he takes of his various confectionary delights as well as the accompaning recipes and even some step-by-step pictures (it's quite a nice site IMHO). You can see his website translated from Portuguese into English at http://www.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&u=http://www.aculpaedasbolachas.com/ where he has the recipe for the carob cookies :)

I'm not dyonPT, but he has a blog which is where he posts both the beautiful images he takes of his various confectionary delights as well as the accompaning recipes and even some step-by-step pictures (it's quite a nice site IMHO). You can see his website translated from Portuguese into English at http://www.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&u=http://www.aculpaedasbolachas.com/ where he has the recipe for the carob cookies :)

Thanks! I've been wondering how did he make those wonderful stuff. Glad that Google Translate is working fine.

DJ_Lae

Anyone here have a copy (or has read) The Professional Chef? A local bookstore has them on for $40 at the moment, and it seems like it might be an interesting read.

I mean, I'd rather have a copy of Moderist Cuisine, but it's never been a decent price here in Canada so god knows when I'll get it.

dyonPT

Can I have the recipe for these? They look amazing.

Thanks! I've been wondering how did he make those wonderful stuff. Glad that Google Translate is working fine.

Thanks Silkworm :)

yeah, you can see there all my deserts. :) Thanks for the interest :)

Chris R

Made beef bulgogi tonight and it was pretty good, but not that juicy. Wondering how much of that was due to me using top round (supermarket didn't have flank steak) and how much was due to my marinade. Anyone have a tested recipe that I could try?

Zyzyxxz

Made beef bulgogi tonight and it was pretty good, but not that juicy. Wondering how much of that was due to me using top round (supermarket didn't have flank steak) and how much was due to my marinade. Anyone have a tested recipe that I could try?

How long did you marinade?

How was it cooked?

Have you considered velveting?

VanWinkle

sU9El.jpg

Best use of the last 2 weeks small number of left over cheese shards last night---ample Zatar and grated Romano included of course.

Man, this threw me for a loop, ElectricThunder. It looks like a pizza!

Here is this years dinner and pies (most focus on pies). 28 people from Norway, USA, Iran, Argentina, India, Germany and Estonia. Always a great time.

Dinner was turkey x2, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, grits, okra, black eyed peas w/bacon and jalapeño corn bread stuffing. all made from scratch (by my mother)
]

Wow, all of that looks fantastic.

Chris R

How long did you marinade?

How was it cooked?

Have you considered velveting?
I marinaded the meat for almost 24 hours, now that I think about it that might have been too long. I cooked it in a hot pan on the stove, because I don't own a grill to cook it that way. And I had to look up velveting, but no I didn't do that.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm having a dinner party of sorts this weekend and I'm braking my home-made policy. I have a butcher shop close to my home where they will smoke meats for me. I'm thinking of having them smoke some baby back ribs. It's going to be 4 or 5 people including me so how many pounds or ribs should I order?

I'm also thinking about the sides, I may make garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. Served with some St. Emillion wine. Are these appropriate for this type of meal.

thespot84

I'm having a dinner party of sorts this weekend and I'm braking my home-made policy. I have a butcher shop close to my home where they will smoke meats for me. I'm thinking of having them smoke some baby back ribs. It's going to be 4 or 5 people including me so how many pounds or ribs should I order?

I'm also thinking about the sides, I may make garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. Served with some St. Emillion wine. Are these appropriate for this type of meal.

mashed potatoes asparagus and ribs sound delightful to me. The 'fanciness' of the wine and fanciness of the meal come off initially as a bit incongruous, but honestly who the hell cares, great wine and ribs sound awesome.

CrankyJay

Banned

I wouldn't think so much in pounds but in half racks and racks. I usually do 1/2 rack per person, unless you have super hungry guests.

So I'd say 3-4 racks. If you think any of your guests can polish off an entire rack, up it for that person. No such bad thing as leftovers.

Oh damn. I didn't realize David Chang was opening a Momofuku in Toronto. So psyched. I can make that drive in 2 hrs.

Did lunch menu at Ko, couple months back. Excellent experience. If you get a chance, go check it out! Looking forward to checking out the Toronto location!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
mashed potatoes asparagus and ribs sound delightful to me. The 'fanciness' of the wine and fanciness of the meal come off initially as a bit incongruous, but honestly who the hell cares, great wine and ribs sound awesome.

Mighty strong words, runt! I haven't seen that in a random forum post in a long time!

I understand what you're saying. The fiance likes wine and it's generally healthier than bier, not that bier won't be available as well. This morning she suggested cooking a rib roast instead. I guess a girl can change her mind... I think the sides will still match though.

Wine with everything guys, it enhances the meal and you don't need to spend much. Another plus, the s/o is always naughtier after a bottle of wine. ;)

Baking question: how best to shape hoagie rolls, like for "sub" sandwiches? I have seen some claims that I should just shape dough balls like little batards, but I think I want them narrower than that. Other claims that I should just press the doughballs out into rectangles and jelly-roll them up just like that?

Dough's on its first rise, so hurry :p Gonna try a few each way I guess if I don't get any advice.

Edit: Actually, I think I'm going to do this ("preshape on a baguette"). Looks like it should work.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The (very detailed!) shaping portion of this recipe works quite well and I've used it or similar methods in the past with nice results.

http://www.woodfiredkitchen.com/?p=1657 said:
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently shape into a snake again, tucking the long outer edge over itself and squeezing in to the bottom seam by using your fingers. Your emphasis from here on out is to create a gluten cloak, a continuous skin on the top and sides of the rolls.

When the snake of dough is about 2 feet long, cut it in half. Form each half into an 18” snake and cut it into three equal pieces. You will now have 6 portions of dough, each weighing between 6 and 6½ ounces. Tuck into cigar shapes and let them rest for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle cornmeal onto the cookie sheets or jellyroll pans and have them handy. Warm your 80° humid environment. (See Creating an 80° Environment at the bottom of Aunt Marie’s Dinner Rolls for details on how to do this.) Your environment should include a pan of hot water.

After your rolls have rested, flatten them somewhat to expel the largest gas bubbles, and then fold them gently into torpedoes of dough that are 9” long. Pull the gluten cloak over each roll evenly and tuck into one long seam. Put three rolls on each pan, seam-side down onto the cornmeal.Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently shape into a snake again, tucking the long outer edge over itself and squeezing in to the bottom seam by using your fingers. Your emphasis from here on out is to create a gluten cloak, a continuous skin on the top and sides of the rolls.

When the snake of dough is about 2 feet long, cut it in half. Form each half into an 18” snake and cut it into three equal pieces. You will now have 6 portions of dough, each weighing between 6 and 6½ ounces. Tuck into cigar shapes and let them rest for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle cornmeal onto the cookie sheets or jellyroll pans and have them handy. Warm your 80° humid environment. (See Creating an 80° Environment at the bottom of Aunt Marie’s Dinner Rolls for details on how to do this.) Your environment should include a pan of hot water.

After your rolls have rested, flatten them somewhat to expel the largest gas bubbles, and then fold them gently into torpedoes of dough that are 9” long. Pull the gluten cloak over each roll evenly and tuck into one long seam. Put three rolls on each pan, seam-side down onto the cornmeal.

DUXjg.jpg

Cheese: BellaVitano Gold One of the most oily/messy cheeses I've ever dealt with---the smell, taste, melting capabilities are good and all....and I bet it would make a mean grilled cheese sandwich...but good lord!

Meat: Applegate Farms Genoa Salami Finally trying some Genoa Salami, though you'd have thought it would've been one of the earlier samplings, but oh well. Nice, mild taste.

A good, but messy meal---nicely comforting.

Collete

Thanks! I want to try them next weekend and post my poor results of them later!

Wow these look so professional.

Kudos to you!

CrankyJay

Banned
Made that ginger salad dressing found in Japanese restaurant. Simply amazing. I'll be eating that all week.

Also bought all the accouterments to make pork and shrimp shumai in my bamboo steamer.

Anybody with some experience making ice cream that can give me some tips or recipes? I just got an ice cream maker for my birthday and made a batch but it didn't come out that great. Way too creamy and rich. It almost feels greasy. Sucks because there is a lot of Reese's Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups in there!

I think the fat content might have been too high. The recipe I used called for 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of whole milk. I'm now seeing other recipes with this reversed - 1 cup cream to 2 cups milk. I also had a cup of creamy peanut butter in there, if that makes a difference.

It tastes OK, mostly just the texture that is kind of off-putting. I like harder ice creams, and this was way too creamy. I did follow the recipe to the T for my first batch, but would like to start experimenting.

Can I also use skim or lowfat milk? Or just use less cream and more milk?

Edit: as usual, Alton has some tips - he uses half and half and whipping cream, and advises AGAINST heavy cream (which I used) because it has too much fat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMGuAJpguY&feature=related

GiJoccin

Anybody with some experience making ice cream that can give me some tips or recipes? I just got an ice cream maker for my birthday and made a batch but it didn't come out that great. Way too creamy and rich. It almost feels greasy. Sucks because there is a lot of Reese's Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups in there!

sounds like your fat content was way too high... probably making iced cream with just 2 parts hvy cream to 1 part whole milk would be pretty heavy in and of itself, but putting in peanut butter and reese's probably put it over the top... those things are super fatty as well.

i like making iced cream with less mixins - nothing beats fresh strawberry/peach iced cream for me.

for resources, http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580088082/?tag=neogaf0e-20 has worked well for me... not every recipe is spot on, but it helps give you a good idea. dave lebowitz' blog is also a good resource, and there are others you can use. goooood luck! i haven't made ice cream in a while, i should get on that

MrBig

Made a couple loaves of some really great, over-night fermented rosemary bread (don't mind my terrible shaping :lol )
IMG_9614.jpg

Following this recipe, made two rather large loaves and I used some excess to make two more hotdog buns.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made some Texas no-bean chili last friday with wild boar. Forgot to take picks, but I'll take some next time I heat a batch up. Made a lot :D

Posted this in the NYC restaurant rec thread, but figured I might as well post it here as well.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar

Fried Duck dumplings

u2jJDl.jpg

Pork Buns

fDNB5l.jpg

Fette Sau BBQ

Selection

lFB5hl.jpg

Brisket, Pulled Pork, Pork Belly, Duck, Pork Sausage, Pork Ribs, Sauerkraut, Broccoli, Burnt End Baked Beans

TRihJl.jpg

Meatball Shop

afRghl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom