• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyonPT

Colour Butter Cake

DSC01073_2.jpg

DSC01370_2.jpg

DSC01253_2.jpg

DSC01280_2.jpg

DSC01463_2.jpg

DSC01475_2.jpg

DSC01568_2.jpg

:)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Amazing as usual dyonPT.

I especially like that the colors on the outside are different from the colors on the inside.

Dyon, that is beautiful! Is it simple to get all the colours to marble like that? And is this on your blog?

EDIT: Found it on the blog, I love how you set everything out. It's really easy to understand.

dyonPT

Amazing as usual dyonPT.

I especially like that the colors on the outside are different from the colors on the inside.

Thanks :) Yeah, I was kind of desapointed with the outside colours but was very happy with the colours inside :) Tourned out really well :)

omg that is trippy.

Yeahh...you dont need special things to see the colouurs :D

Dyon, that is beautiful! Is it simple to get all the colours to marble like that? And is this on your blog?

EDIT: Found it on the blog, I love how you set everything out. It's really easy to understand.

Thanks! Yeah, its in my blog, all explained in images :) If you have any doubt tell me :)

I remember having bread like that as a kid, although it was more rainbow..

Thanks for the nostalgia.. wish I knew how to make it. ;)

In a bread sould be amazing as well! :D Kid sould be crazy with it :)

Its really easy to do, you just have to buy food colouring gel and mix in it :)

los

Thanks :) Yeah, I was kind of desapointed with the outside colours but was very happy with the colours inside :) Tourned out really well :)

Yeahh...you dont need special things to see the colouurs :D

Thanks! Yeah, its in my blog, all explained in images :) If you have any doubt tell me :)

In a bread sould be amazing as well! :D Kid sould be crazy with it :)

Its really easy to do, you just have to buy food colouring gel and mix in it :)

Can you put up another link to your blog?

labx

Banned
Hey guys! Although I've been a member of GAF for a while, this is very first post!! This is a bread that I often do in the events where I work/cook.

GZjxJ.jpg

RUSTIC BREAD MADE ​​WITH BEER.

Haly

For a second I thought that was just one slice of the duck breast before I realized it's just a very large plate.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Made a really simple side tonight that might be my new go-to. Zucchini with cream cheese. You just sautee the zucchini with a bit of cayenne and pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and then after about 8 minutes add some cream cheese. Amazing.

Zyzyxxz

Just a regular pot, a freezer bag and a thermometer ;p

Hardcore man
KuGsj.gif
I'm not patient enough or have enough free time for that. If you ever want to up your game get yourself an induction cooktop it will be easier to keep the temperature stable while staying under $100 and without going the immersion circulator route which is nice but has it's own pains and problems.

I see. Later today I'll visit the Asian grocer's near me and see what I can get.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yeah, if they won't slice it for you thin enough at the meat counter (not sure why they wouldn't), then any Asian grocer will probably have meat for shabu-shabu/hot pot which is sliced pretty thin, so I'm guessing you can use that.

Do you like lamb? I love, love, love shui zhu lamb instead of beef. It's a little fattier, so the dish is richer and more delicious, but I guess not so good if you're trying to cut down on oil

Or you can think of it this way: when you cook at home, it's bound to be healthier than the super oil, super salted stuff you get when you eat out, so it's okay to be a little bad ;)

I made a simple pasta dish for dinner tonight. Fresh porcini tastes so good with a simple cream sauce and pasta! Since I needed to make this vegan, I went with an easy cashew cream for the sauce and it came out great.

7532751340_aa48891b63.jpg

Link for directions: http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2012/07/pasta-with-creamy-fresh-porcini-sauce/

Haly

Yeah, if they won't slice it for you thin enough at the meat counter (not sure why they wouldn't), then any Asian grocer will probably have meat for shabu-shabu/hot pot which is sliced pretty thin, so I'm guessing you can use that.
Visited the only asian grocer I could reach today. Found dou ban jiang, zha cai, shao xing wine, pork rib tips, but no sliced beef. I have enough meat to last me a week or two so I'm just going to buy a rib eye later and slice it by hand (they did not have a butcher though they did have a fishmonger, it was pretty small for an asian market).
Do you like lamb? I love, love, love shui zhu lamb instead of beef. It's a little fattier, so the dish is richer and more delicious, but I guess not so good if you're trying to cut down on oil
Shui zhu yang rou is actually my favorite version of the dish (and lamb is my favorite meat of all), except lamb seems to be pretty pricey in the summer and I don't want to waste good lamb while I still don't have a good hang on the recipe yet.
Or you can think of it this way: when you cook at home, it's bound to be healthier than the super oil, super salted stuff you get when you eat out, so it's okay to be a little bad ;)
Heh, that's true.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Tonights dinner - Fillet steak with creamy mushroom sauce, and fried orange kumara (like sweet potato) and ricotta cake on a bed of rocket

Never made mushroom sauce before, but throwing olive oil, sliced button mushrooms, onion, garlic, cream and powdered chicken stock together to simmer in a pot seemed to work nicely.

I hadn't made the kumara and ricotta cakes before either, and didn't have a recipe I was working from as I was just improvising from a deep fried sweet potato snack recipe I saw on the Food Channel last night. They were tasty, but I think my oil in pan wasn't hot enough and I didn't have enough flour in the mixture for them to firm up as much as I wanted. I had some powdered sugar in there though, so the outside was crispy and nicely caramelised at least.

Gibbo

Hey Iron-Chef GAF, I'm thinking of getting a friend of mine an apron as a gift for her birthday (she likes baking). Any nice/unique aprons that you would recommend?

_machine

RUSTIC BREAD MADE ​​WITH BEER.
Wow, that looks really great. How's the taste?

I've been thinking of making some bread and I imagine beer giving it a really nice flavor, just like tossing bit of it in sauna gets you really nice bakery kinda smell.

I'm a huge IronGAF lurker aswell and absolutely love the thread so I think I'm going to try to participate a bit more. Too bad most of pics are shot with my Galaxy S+ so the quality isn't anything stunning, but with a bit of downsampling it should be accetable here :)

I had some amazing Mapo dofu at mission chinese nyc it had some of the most tender pork i've ever tasted, then when i was leaving i was watching how they made it. Wok on high fire with the sauce all bubbling, i did learn something tho. They blanched the tofu before they put it in to the meat sauce and finishing with corn starch. I wonder if blanching the tofu seals it in so it doesn't get super soggy when you add it to the sauce.

Zyzyxxz

Tonights dinner - Fillet steak with creamy mushroom sauce, and fried orange kumara (like sweet potato) and ricotta cake on a bed of rocket

Never made mushroom sauce before, but throwing olive oil, sliced button mushrooms, onion, garlic, cream and powdered chicken stock together to simmer in a pot seemed to work nicely.

I hadn't made the kumara and ricotta cakes before either, and didn't have a recipe I was working from as I was just improvising from a deep fried sweet potato snack recipe I saw on the Food Channel last night. They were tasty, but I think my oil in pan wasn't hot enough and I didn't have enough flour in the mixture for them to firm up as much as I wanted. I had some powdered sugar in there though, so the outside was crispy and nicely caramelised at least.

Wow that looks pretty amazing!

I had some amazing Mapo dofu at mission chinese nyc it had some of the most tender pork i've ever tasted, then when i was leaving i was watching how they made it. Wok on high fire with the sauce all bubbling, i did learn something tho. They blanched the tofu before they put it in to the meat sauce and finishing with corn starch. I wonder if blanching the tofu seals it in so it doesn't get super soggy when you add it to the sauce.

Maybe to cook out excess liquid? I don't know.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Not made by me, but my sister made an oreo cake (inspired by Dyon's cake), and it was f*cking delicious!

Layers, from the bottom: Oreo cookie-botten, chokladganache, chokladmousse, vitchokladpannacotta.

Oreo cookie-bottom
Chocolate ganache
chocoloate mousse
White chocolate panna cotta

AI1RP.jpg
[/IMG]

Haly

What we need are IronGAF aprons in the store. I wonder if any internet company does that.

(Onkel, you should propose this when you're buttering Evilore up with your food)

_machine

What we need are IronGAF aprons in the store. I wonder if any internet company does that.

(Onkel, you should propose this when you're buttering Evilore up with your food)
:lol:

I'd buy one even though it's always the kitchen that looks like hell after I've cooked yet my clothes stay perfectly clean :)

labx

Banned
Here we go...

Scallops with nougat soup, portobello and vanilla foam (trying to recreate sweet flavores in savory dishes)

GuUWF.jpg

any of our asian IronGaf chefs have a recommendation for a chinese cookbook? Trying to make stuff my mom makes for me from memory is not as good as having written directions.

case in point savory egg custard i forgot what other ingredient to add to the eggs for steaming to make it delicious

Zyzyxxz

any of our asian IronGaf chefs have a recommendation for a chinese cookbook? Trying to make stuff my mom makes for me from memory is not as good as having written directions.

case in point savory egg custard i forgot what other ingredient to add to the eggs for steaming to make it delicious

Look for recipes for chawanmushi the Japanese version of it. The key is to also gently steam the eggs.

I usually do eggs, broth (chicken or veggie), and chopped green onions.

luoapp

Add a few drops of cooking oil after it's done, sesame seed oil, vege oil, or even pork fat. Or, you can add some dried meat product or seafood, like sliced Chinese sausage, sliced salted pork, dried shrimp etc.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
^-- Looks great! I can't believe it was your first time making the sauce and cakes.

The sauce was pretty easy. Put some olive oil in a pot on medium heat. Added a diced half of a small red onion, one chopped clove of garlic, and 6 thinly sliced button mushrooms. Let those sweat for a few minutes, then added some cream and a little powdered chicken stock. Left on a simmer to reduce down and thicken.

I probably could have improved it with a little pepper, but it was almost good enough to be on its own with rice or pasta (I ate the leftovers with a spoon after the meal after all). I could definitely see that working if you mixed in some chopped fried bacon.

CrankyJay

Banned
Saturday is usually my "cheat" day for my diet...

Here we have a grilled cheese sammich made with jalapeno cheese bread, xtra sharp cheddar cheese, and kielbasa, all fried up in bacon grease. lol

ib56Sl.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Just to counteract the unhealthy vibes...

Here's a dish I made on Friday.

Grilled 11.5 oz steelhead trout my friend caught me (red stuff is garlic chili paste), quinoa, broccoli.

TIHHWl.jpg

Not made by me, but my sister made an oreo cake (inspired by Dyon's cake), and it was f*cking delicious!

Layers, from the bottom: Oreo cookie-botten, chokladganache, chokladmousse, vitchokladpannacotta.

Oreo cookie-bottom
Chocolate ganache
chocoloate mousse
White chocolate panna cotta

AI1RP.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks wonderful, think your sister got a recipe for it? :p

Made some grilled spicy yoghurt marinated Quorn fillets with a serving of Quorn and spinach sallad.
LpMs3.png

^--- I've never tried Quorn before. How does it taste? Is it like seitan loaf, or moe like a tempeh loaf in texture? Or more like TVP?

It taste and look pretty much like processed chicken, without the chicken flavor. Tastewise it is a bit more like TVP, and while Quorn comes in different shaped varieties they pretty much all have that same processed chicken (think chicken nuggets) look inside.

The yoghurt marinade did work out pretty well at imparting some flavors to the Quorn, but I imagine soaking it in something more liquidy like soy would work better for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom