• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Looks wonderful, think your sister got a recipe for it? :p

Made some grilled spicy yoghurt marinated Quorn fillets with a serving of Quorn and spinach sallad.
LpMs3.png

She took it from here

Unfortunately it's in swedish, so unless you are from here it might be difficult. 

Question for you glorious cooks of Iron-GAF: I've been cooking a lot of soups and stews in bulks lately but my big pot is awful and I need something new. Any recommendations for a good, big pot for making soups/stews? Something that'll accomodate about 2 gallons?

TheExodu5

Banned
Question to those with cooking know-how...I'm making "meat slop" from a recommendation in the Fitness thread for my post workout meal. It's going to contain gronud beef, cabbage, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, garlic. What would be good spices for such a concoction? I picked up packets of chilli and taco seasoning for now, but would rather make something myself...I'm just not very experienced with spices so I don't yet know exactly what goes with what. Any suggestions?

thespot84

A great choice. If you don't want to spend the money there are many middle of the road dutch ovens that will accomplish the same thing.

Question to those with cooking know-how...I'm making "meat slop" from a recommendation in the Fitness thread for my post workout meal. It's going to contain gronud beef, cabbage, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, garlic. What would be good spices for such a concoction? I picked up packets of chilli and taco seasoning for now, but would rather make something myself...I'm just not very experienced with spices so I don't yet know exactly what goes with what. Any suggestions?

add tomato sauce and you have the filling for stuffed peppers...

Question for you glorious cooks of Iron-GAF: I've been cooking a lot of soups and stews in bulks lately but my big pot is awful and I need something new. Any recommendations for a good, big pot for making soups/stews? Something that'll accomodate about 2 gallons?

If you don't want to go to Le Crueset, you can get a Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven that works just as well. I don't have a Le Crueset so I can't *really* compare but no complaints about my Lodge dutch oven. Cooks stews and braises wonderfully. The enameled inside is super easy to clean and most everything just wipes right off with minimal scrubbing. Even when I burn things on it. The best part is, unlike the Le Crueset, you won't die a little inside when you accidentally chip the outside when banging it on something.

Not sure what "meat slop" is. Is it sloppy joe? Like the poster above said, you can do chopped tomato, even though that's not really a spice. I'd also add ground cumin. Use a little though because a little goes a long way. And cayenne pepper, which you can add as much as you'd like depending on your spicy tolerance. Don't forget fresh ground pepper too.

If you don't want to go to Le Crueset, you can get a Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven that works just as well. I don't have a Le Crueset so I can't *really* compare but no complaints about my Lodge dutch oven. Cooks stews and braises wonderfully. The enameled inside is super easy to clean and most everything just wipes right off with minimal scrubbing. Even when I burn things on it. The best part is, unlike the Le Crueset, you won't die a little inside when you accidentally chip the outside when banging it on something.

Thanks for the recommendations. The Lodge looks more my style. Time to do a little comparison shopping on Amazon. :b

Worcestershire, minced garlic, paprika, cumin, and chili powder.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks a lot guys!

Cumin is a spice I've never really played with. I'll definitely give that a shot.

I'll be avoiding adding tomato and tomato sauce to keep it low enough in carbs. It's not supposed to be the most appetizing thing in the world...it's just a post workout meal I can heat up quickly when I don't feel like cooking a proper supper. I figure with proper seasoning, it should be pretty tasty at least.

Also, with something like this, does it matter how I prepare it? Should I brown the meat and saute the vegetables before throwing everything together? I figure I'll end up simmering it for a few hours afterwards.

If you're simmering it in a liquid of some sort (eg diced tomatoes in sauce but you already said no to that) you could brown the meat and drain the excess grease and then add the liquid and then the vegetables. Otherwise I'll defer to the experts on how else to handle it.

Thanks a lot guys!

Cumin is a spice I've never really played with. I'll definitely give that a shot.

I'll be avoiding adding tomato and tomato sauce to keep it low enough in carbs. It's not supposed to be the most appetizing thing in the world...it's just a post workout meal I can heat up quickly when I don't feel like cooking a proper supper. I figure with proper seasoning, it should be pretty tasty at least.

Also, with something like this, does it matter how I prepare it? Should I brown the meat and saute the vegetables before throwing everything together? I figure I'll end up simmering it for a few hours afterwards.

I'd sautee the chopped onions in a few tsp of oil till translucent, the throw in the ground meat, break it up, and let it brown before throwing everything else together.

For a post workout meal, if you want really quick, you can do hard boiled eggs (dip in salt and pepper, or maggi sauce -- my favorite!) and wash it down with milk (or soy milk if your'e lactose intolerant.) Super easy and high in protein.

thespot84

I'd sautee the chopped onions in a few tsp of oil till translucent, the throw in the ground meat, break it up, and let it brown before throwing everything else together.

For a post workout meal, if you want really quick, you can do hard boiled eggs (dip in salt and pepper, or maggi sauce -- my favorite!) and wash it down with milk (or soy milk if your'e lactose intolerant.) Super easy and high in protein.

Hard/medium boiled eggs are the perfect little packet of energy. I always have some in the fridge. Hard to beat.

ShinAmano

Alright...so I have some pics that I want to post (Sausages/Boston Butt). I posted some ages ago from my BGE cooks using the links from facebook. What is the best way to post pictures not from facebook?

Also the steak thread has me thinking that the Egg will be hot this weekend and I will fire up a hot tubbed ribeye or NYS. I might also do some Bacon wrapped poppers...

TheExodu5

Banned

Thanks.

What about the garlic?

Thanks.

What about the garlic?

Chopped up garlic thrown in right after the onions are done, but before the meat. You basically want the garlic to cook a little but not burn. With most things that involve onion and garlic, I do it in this order: hot oil, onion, (carrots, celery, whatever mirepoix), garlic, then the main thing you're eating.

pax217

What we need are IronGAF aprons in the store. I wonder if any internet company does that.

(Onkel, you should propose this when you're buttering Evilore up with your food)

Is there an official "IronGAF" logo?

IronGAF - Believe

it's good.

Corto

It has been a long time since I posted here. Being on a strict weight reduction diet but I lurked and took great ideas here and there to adapt to my regimen. I almost put DyonPT on my ignore list just so I wasn't tempted with his awesome posts. Well, long history short, I'm now with an healthier 96 Kg (weighed 153 kg in 2010) and I'm starting to once in a while to indulge in some more "rich" meals but always in small quantities.

My contribution today, my take on Sheperd's Pie. I got a cast iron skillet this week from Lodge. And thought that Sheperd's Pie would be a great way to christen it.

Sorry for the low quality photos. I was too lazy to get my camera, and took the photos with my iPhone instead.

Here they go:

fotografia-1.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-1-2.jpg

image-2-2.jpg

I added some personal touches: seasoned the mashed potatoes with fine chopped fresh basil and nutmeg, incorporated a bit of cheddar in the mashed potatoes and over it too to add a nice colored crust, added some thin slices of a really nice chorizo to the meat filling, seasoned it with worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt, freshly ground black pepper and bay leaf, and meat stock. I used tomatoes, carrots and leek as the vegetables. The family loved it, my 3 y. old son asked for a bit more... 3 times! ;)

Hello GAF! Ok so i'm working on this big food related project, that i'm going to keep secret for now. I'm going to make a big thread for it once its finished. Anyways, i'm looking for yummy pictures of food and I thought i'd ask IronGAF and see if anyone would mind letting me use some of their awesome food pics, if so just shoot me a PM or mention it here, I would really appreciate it. Trust me its going to a worthy cause. : D

thespot84

Hello GAF! Ok so i'm working on this big food related project, that i'm going to keep secret for now. I'm going to make a big thread for it once its finished. Anyways, i'm looking for yummy pictures of food and I thought i'd ask IronGAF and see if anyone would mind letting me use some of their awesome food pics, if so just shoot me a PM or mention it here, I would really appreciate it. Trust me its going to a worthy cause. : D

Best pics in the thread are probably DyonPT's, if dessert fits the bill

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Last night I made chicken souvlaki gyro style, per -Pyromaniac-'s suggestion. It was so good! I'll try to take a picture of it at lunch.

KpJrG.jpg

Cheese: Cave Brothers Petit Freres As it turns out, this is incredibly similar to their earlier Les Freres, only oddly firmer despite being in more a traditional little round container that I'd only been accustomed to seeing the likes of Brie in. Good, but felt too much like a repeat only a few short weeks removed.

Crumble: Cape Cod Feta & Rosemary Straightforward and tasty, good old reliable Cape Cod.

Meat: Columbus Pepper Salame Finally a new meat, the peppery kick being most welcome!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Last night I made chicken souvlaki gyro style, per -Pyromaniac-'s suggestion. It was so good! I'll try to take a picture of it at lunch.

0nAK4l.jpg

Broiled chicken (first time I've broiled chicken. It came out super juicy! ;0), tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, pepperoncini, and some tzatziki on a wrap.

Zyzyxxz

Some new work photos:

our house burger, I keeps it simple California style with guacamole, cheddar, bacon, and mizuna for that Asian influence sandwiched inside a King Hawaiians bun.
7573630540_45fabe561d_z.jpg

Twice fried wings in a chili honey sauce
7573630876_e813949f8a_z.jpg

Kurobuta wiener corn dogs.
7573631236_07f0551a8f_z.jpg

Milchjon

Goddamn, Zyzyxxz, what's the name of your workplace again? I'll probably never make it there as a Yuropean, but I would like to stalk your food.

Zyzyxxz

Goddamn, Zyzyxxz, what's the name of your workplace again? I'll probably never make it there as a Yuropean, but I would like to stalk your food.

It's called Spirit House Bar located in Monterey Park.

Well at least you can bask in the glory of your Yuropean healthcare. The cleaning chemicals I'm breathing in will probably kill me if the Republicans kill Obama's healthcare plans.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Some Sunday midnight baking to take into work tomorrow - Mint and dark chocolate chunk chocolate muffins with gooey peppermint chocolate surprise center and mint butter cream frosting, topped with a peppermint chocolate

It's called Spirit House Bar located in Monterey Park.

Well at least you can bask in the glory of your Yuropean healthcare. The cleaning chemicals I'm breathing in will probably kill me if the Republicans kill Obama's healthcare plans.

I have got to get there...from Yelp review

They did well with the Old Fashion.

Fucking Sold

Oh, and also your fooz Zyzyxxz ;)

Some new work photos:

our house burger, I keeps it simple California style with guacamole, cheddar, bacon, and mizuna for that Asian influence sandwiched inside a King Hawaiians bun.
7573630540_45fabe561d_z.jpg

Twice fried wings in a chili honey sauce
7573630876_e813949f8a_z.jpg

Kurobuta wiener corn dogs.
7573631236_07f0551a8f_z.jpg
Goddamn, those wings and that burger look amazing.

It's a shame I'm all the way over in Texas, because I'd love to try your food. :(

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Recipe? Recipe.

Makes 12

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (dark if you have it)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
100 grams rough cut chunks from dark chocolate block
Chocolate mint candy for muffin centers and garnish
1 cup unsweetened yoghurt
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract/essence (NOT mint extract, they are not the same thing)

Frosting ingredients

100 grams softened butter
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract/essence
2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons hot water
Green food colouring

Directions

Special equipment: Muffin tin with paper muffin cases

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and chocolate chunks into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. Push a chocolate mint candy or half a peppermint chocolate After Dinner mint into the center top of each muffin. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.

After baking, remove and cool on a rack until completely cooled before frosting.

To make frosting, whip butter until light and fluffy. Add peppermint extract. Add sifted powdered sugar gradually, 1/2 a cup at a time. Add hot water to create spreadable/piping consistency as required. Add a splash of green food colouring if desired and mix briefly.

Add frosting to top of muffins with knife or using piping bag. Garnish with additional mint chocolate candy or half a chocolate peppermint After Dinner mint biscuit if desired.

Think that is everything.

Esch

Banned
Anyone know any innovative ways to grill an egg without ruining my parents cookie sheets?

I saw this:

2011_0526_danpashman_interview_portraits_321.jpg

but not sure if want (i just wanna add one on a burger

Xeke

Banned
Terrible nigh irongaf. Was making a delicious looking asparagus and pasta dinner and I burned myself on the skillet causing the pasta to get over cooked in the pot. All around disaster. But dinner last night was good!

9kTutl.jpg

Hey gaf... Just moved into a new house with an awesome kitchen and wanna do it right with good cookware. Do any of you amazing home cooks have recommendations for what's a good pan set? Or is it better to buy every pot and pan separately? Willing to spend up to around $500. Also same question for knives... up to $250 for a set of good knives. We can move the budget up a bit if you think there is value in it.

Latest round of baking:

8aWoIl.jpg

New house, new kitchen:

lxm61l.jpg

Fresh Pain Au Chocolat:

AVW2Sl.jpg

Close up:

YqIFyl.jpg

Xeke

Banned
Hey gaf... Just moved into a new house with an awesome kitchen and wanna do it right with good cookware. Do any of you amazing home cooks have recommendations for what's a good pan set? Or is it better to buy every pot and pan separately? Willing to spend up to around $500. Also same question for knives... up to $250 for a set of good knives. We can move the budget up a bit if you think there is value in it.

Latest round of baking:

8aWoIl.jpg

New house, new kitchen:

lxm61l.jpg

Fresh Pain Au Chocolat:

AVW2Sl.jpg

Close up:

YqIFyl.jpg

Get a few cast iron pans. Better than any other cookware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom