• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiar_m

Can't help with the bone-in, never had enough grear or place to do anything like it.

I made sweet and sour chicken today though, I only have this bad instagram picture of the deep-fried chicken coating in the bubbling sauce, but you'll get the idea:

bba3a7e8beff11e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

With carrots, bell pepper and pineapple. It's pretty awesome.

Place deer in clay pot after having given it a good once over with olive oil...cook it...awhile at say 400F center rack----good times are likely to follow depending on how thick it is after at least an hour.

totowhoa

Banned
Definitely my favorite dyonPT post in some time, those photos are amazing. I'm definitely going to try out your recipe

And speaking of baking ... I've been wanting to get into bread. I've tried a few times with a few mediocre results and a few amazing results, but I've never stuck with it. Is there an end-all, be-all resource out there online? Like a super-informative blog perhaps? I'm not looking into specialty breads at the moment, mostly more practical loaves. I own one good bread pan for baking, but it's a little small, and I also don't own a bread box, so I usually am forced to bake in small amounts or eat it quick -- something I'll fix soon enough.

My last attempt at baking bread was great -- we baked some rolls for sandwiches and they were fantastic. The best thing was that we did all the prep work up until a certain point and just froze them until we wanted to bake them, so it was very convenient (that's been my biggest barrier to bread baking thus far). This was a good six months ago though, and that's generally the sort of interval that I try my hand at bread baking... so I don't retain much knowledge, hence my wanting an end-all, be-all guide.

I'd give anything to have some good bakeries nearby... it's a shame that it's just not the case in so many US cities, unless you want cookies and cupcakes.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sklorenz, the Fresh Loaf is a very useful site (despite the clunky design), and I would also suggest going to the library to get copies of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice and Jeff Hertzberg's Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Spend a weekend or two with those books: you'll be glad you did.

GiJoccin

Sklorenz, the Fresh Loaf is a very useful site (despite the clunky design), and I would also suggest going to the library to get copies of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice and Jeff Hertzberg's Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. Spend a weekend or two with those books: you'll be glad you did.

second this

i started with peter reinhart's book, supplemented with the fresh loaf, and then got jeff hertzberg's book later - all i make now are the no knead loaves from hertzberg, but i'm glad i got several of reinhart's recipes under my belt first, now i'm just lazy :)

Zyzyxxz

Some new work photos of stuff I've been making:

Twice fried fries with panang beef curry on top
7457334356_a02263a856_z.jpg

Japanese style braised pork shoulder tacos with yuzu kosho and tomatillo salsa verde.
7457334150_c044a5d94a_z.jpg

totowhoa

Banned

Thanks! I'll definitely be trying some things sometime this week.

Saucy_XL

Banned
Does anyone have any good, authentic paella recipes? We want to cook paella for 4th of July, but have never made it before. Thanks.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I need to start learning how to cook since since I want to start working out again but I want to do it the right way with a proper diet and I want to cook myself. What tools should I be looking for to get started? Have plenty of cooking stuff but want to see if I'm missing anything major. I literally have no experience cooking so I need like step by step recipes, direct links etc since I'm really that lost when it comes to this kind of stuff. Not to mention I'm just afraid of fucking up something lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Things I find indispensable as a novice in the kitchen:
- Chef's knife/Santoku
- Cutting Board
- Skillet
- Saucepan
- Wok if you're doing Asian stuff, which can incidentally replace both skillet and saucepan
- Spatula
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
First time poster, long time IronGAF lurker...

Anyone have a really good bruschetta recipe?

Hi and welcome to the thread.
An easy way is to quarter a few tomatoes. remove the innards of them. cube the quarters. mix them in a bowl with a bit of sea salt, minced basil, minced garlic and a bit of black or white pepper.

cut a loaf of ciabatta in slices of about an inch (two fingers wide) and roast them in a skillet with olive oil.

when crispy, take them out of the skillet and top with the tomato mix. Garnish with a leaf of basil and serve while the ciabatta is still warm.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So I need to start learning how to cook since since I want to start working out again but I want to do it the right way with a proper diet and I want to cook myself. What tools should I be looking for to get started? Have plenty of cooking stuff but want to see if I'm missing anything major. I literally have no experience cooking so I need like step by step recipes, direct links etc since I'm really that lost when it comes to this kind of stuff. Not to mention I'm just afraid of fucking up something lol.

As a starter, you can look at the two links in the OP, lots of recipes with step by step pictorials there. the first half of this thread also features a lot of step by step recipes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
An easy way is to quarter a few tomatoes. remove the innards of them. cube the quarters. mix them in a bowl with a bit of sea salt, minced basil, minced garlic and a bit of black or white pepper.

cut a loaf of ciabatta in slices of about an inch (two fingers wide) and roast them in a skillet with olive oil.

when crispy, take them out of the skillet and top with the tomato mix. Garnish with a leaf of basil and serve while the ciabatta is still warm.
I add a splash of olive oil and a dash of balsamic to the mixture.

Zyzyxxz

I've kinda become obsessed with Quinoa lately :p so I was wondering if you guys have any good recipes with it?

At a previous job we did quinoa two ways as sides. Make sure you wash it first, sometimes they come prewashed but if you don't there is going to be a coating on it that may make it taste bad.

One was black/red quinoa which we started by sauteing shallots, garlic with butter and then tossing in the quinoa to toast like a risotto which we then covered with water.

Another method was a saffron quinoa which we just cooked it in hot water that was steeped with saffron threads until bright red then cooked with the quinoa ahead of time. When ready to serve we tossed it in butter, some chicken stock, and spinach. I'm a big meat eater but I loved it prepared this way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some new work photos of stuff I've been making:

Twice fried fries with panang beef curry on top
7457334356_a02263a856_z.jpg

Japanese style braised pork shoulder tacos with yuzu kosho and tomatillo salsa verde.
7457334150_c044a5d94a_z.jpg
I want these inside me.

btw your place is strictly no one under 21 right? Just have a friend who'd I'd like to bring.

Zyzyxxz

I want these inside me.

btw your place is strictly no one under 21 right? Just have a friend who'd I'd like to bring.

Hmmmmmmm.... technically the bar is an annex of the hotel and hotel bars are allowed to have people under 21 though I think under adult supervision but the boss prefers no one under 21 unless kids with parents.

Maybe you can call and ask to see if his mind has changed?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really loving my DeBuyer frying pan. It's starting to season nicely and works very well for lots of stuff I've cooked so far: steak, fish, chicken breast, eggs, crepes. It's basically like a cast iron pan in a more usable shape. Love it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
As a starter, you can look at the two links in the OP, lots of recipes with step by step pictorials there. the first half of this thread also features a lot of step by step recipes.

K thx will check that out, for some reason did not think to check those links when I looked at the OP haha.

At a previous job we did quinoa two ways as sides. Make sure you wash it first, sometimes they come prewashed but if you don't there is going to be a coating on it that may make it taste bad.

One was black/red quinoa which we started by sauteing shallots, garlic with butter and then tossing in the quinoa to toast like a risotto which we then covered with water.

Another method was a saffron quinoa which we just cooked it in hot water that was steeped with saffron threads until bright red then cooked with the quinoa ahead of time. When ready to serve we tossed it in butter, some chicken stock, and spinach. I'm a big meat eater but I loved it prepared this way.

Both of those sounds tasty and relatively simple, will give them a go.

First time poster, long time IronGAF lurker...

Anyone have a really good bruschetta recipe?

I really like Nancy Silverton's white bean crostini, which technically you can also serve with bruschetta. Her recipe in the Mozza cook book is a little different when cooking the beans, but this is probably an approximation:
http://wellfed.typepad.com/well_fed/2007/09/crostini-with-w.html

In a similar vein, anyone have a good camponata recipe?

I really like the eggplant camponata also from Mozza. I think it's Mario Batali's recipe, so you can just google that. He has you add something weird like cocoa to it, which I'm scratching my head about, but if that's the secret to making the one at the restaurant delicious, go for it.

fmpanda

I've always found the Sear-then-finish-in-oven Method to work pretty well, plus this allows you to roast up some fresh herbs and garlic. Mmmmm Garlic.

If you want to get really extreme and you happen to have a couple of bricks laying around you could always try wrapping them up in aluminum foil, preheating them in the oven and then putting them on top of the breast while in the pan (Keep the foil on though, I should add). If your guests/significant other can see you cooking, it makes for an interesting sight.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't have bricks, sadly.

I do have garlic and fresh rosemary, though. How do I roast them and/or use them with the chicken?

Last night I fried up the sprig of rosemary and 3 garlic cloves with my steak. The garlic was great like that, but I don't think much of the flavor of the garlic or rosemary really extended to the steak at all. If I'm making a pan sauce, maybe I'll have better results.

Sear chicken with some rosemary and gloves of garlic in the pan -> remove chicken if and/or finish in oven -> leave garlic and rosemary in the pan, and deglaze it with red wine and chicken stock -> reduce by 1/2 -> salt + pepper.

Sound like a plan? I've never made a pan sauce before.

I'm basically trying to experiment with different cooking techniques. I want to have a repertoire of cooking techniques so that I can cook/improvise my own dishes in the future.

Hi and welcome to the thread.

Thank you sir!

I think I'll give it a shot this weekend. :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What are the best veggies for roasting? I do a lot of green beans and asparagus, but would love to try others for my side dishes with chicken/meat.

Also, I need more turkey dog topping suggestions! Give me what you got. I need to mix it up.
3AQmK.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What is everyone eating for the 4th? I don't want the traditional burgers/hot dogs, potato salad, chips, baked beans, etc. that we have every year. I want something new but my mind is going blank. :(

Chris R

Grilled tequila lime chicken is easy to make and goes over pretty well at parties if you want to mix it up a bit.

And I made some "Asian" meatballs last night. Tasted pretty good, just mixed in siracha, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper and garlic into some ground meat and cooked them off. Next time I make them I'll have to get a better quality of ground meat though, since the cheap stuff I got wasn't the best.

fmpanda

Grilled Sates are also a nice way to go for the 4th as well, especially if you use ground lamb. That along with some grilled veggies and warmed up Pita Bread always make for good times.

Oh, I should probably formally introduce myself. Hello Cooking-GAF!

dyonPT

Beautiful! ;_;

Thanks!! :D

:bow. best part of entering Irongaf on the weekend is that you know dyonPT is about to bless us with some baking goodness

Oh Man, you are so nice! :D Many thanks :)

if it wasn't for the fact that i don't like sweets, i wouldve loved these.

also the the part of waken up, is Micky's in your cup.

hehe, love that cup :)

Definitely my favorite dyonPT post in some time, those photos are amazing. I'm definitely going to try out your recipe

Thank you very much :) And I would love to see the result, please do the cookies and then post here some pictures :D Hope it all goes well :)

equap

Banned
I wanna cook beef pot roast in my slow cooker but a lot of the recipes i've found look kinda meh and i really like experimenting with food.

so any of you guys have interesting beef pot roast recipes to share?

fmpanda

I wanna cook beef pot roast in my slow cooker but a lot of the recipes i've found look kinda meh and i really like experimenting with food.

so any of you guys have interesting beef pot roast recipes to share?

I'll be dead honest, I tend to go with a simple Beef Roast myself, but here goes:

I usually start with seasoning the roast with salt/pepper then searing in a pan with some fresh herbs and garlic. After searing, reserve the roast while removing the fat from the pan, then deglazing with Red Wine (I don't use very sweet wines like a Dessert Wine, but otherwise any Red that I drink with, I cook with), and Beef Stock, bring to a boil while using a spoon to scrap off and dissolve the good bits so they make it into your broth, and then combining the finished broth along with your roast in the slow cooker. As for veggies, you can't go wrong with potatoes, carrots, and celery, but if you want to change things up a bit you can always add in some cut up peeled/seeded tomatoes, beans, barley, etc. To me a roast is about taking the things you really like and layering the flavors in. Just make sure you get a good cut of Beef and a good broth to start out with.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So, have been lurking the thread for a long time, taking the odd tip here and there.

Time to share my efforts in trying to level up my cooking skills over the last couple of years, and more recently having focused on baking. A few pics of more recent creations (which hopefully show up being linked straight from Facebook)

Fillet steak with homemade sweet chilli barbeque sauce, mushrooms, and honey coated kumara
400549_10150354482514364_1688860788_n.jpg

Pepperoni pizza on Assyrian flatbread
424303_10150449159744364_360558396_n.jpg

Beef burgers with mayo, ketchup, baby spinach, streaky bacon, blue brie, and red onion sauteed in strawberry sweet chilli sauce
552706_10150520291559364_1471680829_n.jpg

Carrot cake with walnuts and pineapple, Baileys cream cheese frosting, dusted with dark chocolate, and drizzled with yoghurt
579525_10150718141429364_487055087_n.jpg

Marinated pork loin with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, crispy parsnip, apple sauce, and roast orange kumara balls rolled in almond slices
598731_10150749939699364_1375160961_n.jpg

Dark chocolate chunk and blueberry chocolate muffins with blueberry butter cream icing
252789_10150749415554364_292309328_n.jpg

Chocolate chip and honey glazed bacon cookies with bacon themed icing
577308_10150755878214364_1104650307_n.jpg

Pancakes and bananas with icing sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla cream, and streaky bacon
540966_10150751724119364_1650161365_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom