• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Great looking pizzas. Do you shape the dough in the cast iron pan, kind of like Chicago deep dish? I always have a problem with pizza dough not fitting into my pan when I try to do cast iron pan pizza.

just to be clear, only the first two pictures are of cast iron pan pizza; the rest i made on my little black egg pizza grill. for the cast iron pizza, i have a cast iron pan that looks like a frying pan but is weirdly a good 2 inches deep. it's old as heck and i am not sure what it would be used for, but seems like some kind of big simmer/saute pan. i used j. kenji alt's sicilian pizza dough recipe, which is VERY wet, and which you can find here. it entails making aforementioned wet dough, putting roughly 1/3 cup olive oil in the bottom of the pan, then just plopping that wet dough on top and letting it rest and rise. trust me, it will move to the edges and you should have no problem.

i also prebaked my dough for 5 minutes at 500 degrees, then took it out and topped it with a lot of sauce (extra sauce to balance with thick focaccia style crust) and sparse cheese, and of course, toppings. the prebaking i like because it keeps the center from collapsing and becoming gummy.

for the other pizzas i was using a grilled pizza dough recipe which you can find here, and making these in my jerry-rigged pizza oven made from an old black kettle grill.

CoLfQ.jpg

feb1Z.jpg

Harvest season beginning in earnest.

garlic-2012-small.jpg

Awww yeah. The pesto we've been making from the scapes has been heavenly, great base for pizzas.

Otherwise lots of lettuce and snap peas, which we've just been eating straight up, usually off the vine. Last year we pickled a bunch, not sure we'll have many to do that with this year. Raspberries and blackberries coming in now, too. We also got some blueberries but we just planted the shrubs earlier this year so not enough to make anything substantial with. Getting exciting though!

just to be clear, only the first two pictures are of cast iron pan pizza; the rest i made on my little black egg pizza grill. for the cast iron pizza, i have a cast iron pan that looks like a frying pan but is weirdly a good 2 inches deep. it's old as heck and i am not sure what it would be used for, but seems like some kind of big simmer/saute pan. i used j. kenji alt's sicilian pizza dough recipe, which is VERY wet, and which you can find here. it entails making aforementioned wet dough, putting roughly 1/3 cup olive oil in the bottom of the pan, then just plopping that wet dough on top and letting it rest and rise. trust me, it will move to the edges and you should have no problem.

i also prebaked my dough for 5 minutes at 500 degrees, then took it out and topped it with a lot of sauce (extra sauce to balance with thick focaccia style crust) and sparse cheese, and of course, toppings. the prebaking i like because it keeps the center from collapsing and becoming gummy.

Ah thanks for the explanation. I haven't tried letting the dough rise directly in the pan, but it's a good idea. I was scared the dough would get stuck to the bottom of the pan, but I guess putting oil on first helps a lot. I have a cast iron that's about 2" deep too, so maybe that's the normal shape? We mostly use it for things like breakfast pancakes, pan frying tempeh bacon, corn bread, etc.

Harvest season beginning in earnest.

garlic-2012-small.jpg

Awww yeah. The pesto we've been making from the scapes has been heavenly, great base for pizzas.

Nice scapes! We sometimes use them in a Chinese stir fry, but I don't think I've made pesto with them before. Sounds like a good idea. How long do you let them "dry" for after you harvest them?

Do you have a picture of your garden? I'd love to see it. I want to plant some more things in mine for fall, but want to wait till the hot weather fully hits us before putting any seedlings down.

I tried making a Sachertorte, but screwed up the folding of the egg whites a tiny bit as my cake looks pretty flat.
Or maybe I just used too big of a cake pan.

Will see how it tastes tomorrow.

Corto

Beelzebozo, I will surely try that cast iron pizza. Yours looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Our dinner today: Chicken breasts filleted and marinated in soy sauce, thyme, honey, black pepper and salt, cooked in the cast iron skillet in the oven in a mirepoix with beer, roasted asparagus and pine nuts, accompanied with a simple pasta seasoned with parsley.

image-6.jpg

image-1-4.jpg

fotografia-3.jpg

How long do you let them "dry" for after you harvest them?

Three to four weeks to cure according to my wife, who does all the actual gardening, I'm mostly just infrastructure and maintenance.

Do you have a picture of your garden? I'd love to see it. I want to plant some more things in mine for fall, but want to wait till the hot weather fully hits us before putting any seedlings down.

Sure, here's a pic from the SW looking NE, this is the N end of our property which gets continuous sun through the day. On the left is our raspberry patch, which is somewhat wild despite numerous attempts to cull it. Behind that you can see our grape trellis, and then the receding foreground are our beds. The leftmost is corn, beans and squash, the middle is a mix of beans, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, tomatillo, corn, and the far beds are potatoes, tomatoes, snap peas, strawberries, herbs, zucchini, carrots, onions, garlic, and some other things I can't remember. Most things are grown in raise beds I made out of untreated 2x10 and we filled with compost and soil, the trellis is just 2x4 I ripped down and framed up quickly.

IMG_1944.small.JPG

If you browse that directory you'll see some closeups I took, including some of our blueberry bushes which are in another part of the yard near our flowers (gladiolas just came in and are gorgeous, right as the hollyhock is dying out).

Zyzyxxz

Sure, here's a pic from the SW looking NE, this is the N end of our property which gets continuous sun through the day. On the left is our raspberry patch, which is somewhat wild despite numerous attempts to cull it. Behind that you can see our grape trellis, and then the receding foreground are our beds. The leftmost is corn, beans and squash, the middle is a mix of beans, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, tomatillo, corn, and the far beds are potatoes, tomatoes, snap peas, strawberries, herbs, zucchini, carrots, onions, garlic, and some other things I can't remember. Most things are grown in raise beds I made out of untreated 2x10 and we filled with compost and soil, the trellis is just 2x4 I ripped down and framed up quickly.

IMG_1944.small.JPG

If you browse that directory you'll see some closeups I took, including some of our blueberry bushes which are in another part of the yard near our flowers (gladiolas just came in and are gorgeous, right as the hollyhock is dying out).

Jealous! I gotta stick to pots in my SoCal concrete jungle.

Jealous! I gotta stick to pots in my SoCal concrete jungle.

I spent a decade living in Los Angeles so I know how you feel. Come and visit Maine, it's an insanely great food culture up here. Lots of James Beard chefs, and great local small farms. I buy fresh raw jersey milk and kefir from a guy every Saturday, along with small batch chevre from some New Zealand ex-pats who live nearby and raise goats: http://kennebeccheesery.com/. Gonna head up to their farm tomorrow and hang out a bit on Open Farm day.

Focusing a lot on the sweet tooth lately. Both of these are second attempts, and like everything else the outcome is much better with prior knowledge.

Brooklyn Blackout: 3 layered chocolate cake served with a kompot of berries from the garden

brooklynblackout1.jpg

brooklynblackout2.jpg

brooklynblackout3.jpg

brooklynblackout4.jpg

Slutty Brownies Cookie dough + Oreo layer + Brownie batter served with strawberries and vanilla mousse.

brownie1.jpg

brownie2.jpg

brownie3.jpg

Soooo good, but my body always scream afterwards and it's like you can feel the sugar in your veins.

dyonPT

Focusing a lot on the sweet tooth lately. Both of these are second attempts, and like everything else the outcome is much better with prior knowledge.

Brooklyn Blackout: 3 layered chocolate cake served with a kompot of berries from the garden

brooklynblackout1.jpg

brooklynblackout4.jpg

Slutty Brownies Cookie dough + Oreo layer + Brownie batter served with strawberries and vanilla mousse.

brownie3.jpg

Soooo good, but my body always scream afterwards and it's like you can feel the sugar in your veins.

DAMMMM!!! Thats lots of chocolate love! Love it ! :D

Beelzebozo, I will surely try that cast iron pizza. Yours looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

image-1-4.jpg

fotografia-3.jpg

Amazing!

made a cast iron pizza tonight with roasted pineapple, banana pepper, mozz, romano, fresh red sauce, thyme and basil.

apologies to anyone who finds it unpleasant to zoom that close in on my big ol' dumb face

That looks amazing! Love pizza like this...you are the boss!

nny7P.jpg

Cheese: 12 Month Mimolette Nigh onto as orange as a pumpkin, but in the end it just comes across as a nice cheddar-like---nothing crazy on the melt or oil front while being rather firm especially towards the extremities.

Crumble: Wai Lana Barbeque Mysterious BBQ cassava chips---I'm good with this as per usual~

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I usually don't eat full meals, but I thought I should splurge a bit for my birthday.

Got a store bought mousse in the fridge and a bottle of Chianti.

Yes Boss!

Last thing I made before flying back to germany tomorrow.

Two weeks ago I went to a cool ice cream store called Humphry Slocombe in the the Mission, SF. They had a ton of wacky flavors but I was most impressed with the olive oil ice cream.

This was my version. About a half a cup of nice cold-pressed italian oil and a spoonful of sea salt in the mix. Fake olives are green grapes slices filled with rasberry.

DSC00620.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
It's either gravy and cheese curd, or meet and tomato spaghetti sauce with cheese curd.

Just gravy and cheese curd. Spaghetti sauce and cheese curd would be Italian poutine...not really the same thing at all, and tbh, not nearly as good.

If you want to fancy it up, you can add meat to it...ground beef or bacon are a bit more common.

Start off with just beef gravy and cheese curd though.

Yes Boss!

Yes Boss, good to see you back! :)

Cool!

Yeah, hopefully I'll be cooking soon more. I only got to make a few things while here on vacation in california. I did order a cute little 2.5 qrt brasier pressure cooker and sent it to Germany to start cooking some indian food. I've got four more months living in Bavaria and then I move back to the Maryland/Washington DC and plan on cooking quite a bit more! At least some simpler dishes.

Check out the cute pressure cooker! It has a nice low profile which will double as a kadhai:

pressure.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Cool!

Yeah, hopefully I'll be cooking soon more. I only got to make a few things while here on vacation in california. I did order a cute little 2.5 qrt brasier pressure cooker and sent it to Germany to start cooking some indian food. I've got four more months living in Bavaria and then I move back to the Maryland/Washington DC and plan on cooking quite a bit more! At least some simpler dishes.

Check out the cute pressure cooker! It has a nice low profile which will double as a kadhai:
]

I did not know they made pressure cookers like that... I need one.

Yes Boss!

I did not know they made pressure cookers like that... I need one.

Yeah, really small. I stumbled upon it when looking to buy another Kuhn Rikon...but something that could double as a wide and low profile cooking vessel, unlided. Should work well. Same price as the larger models (just under $200), but no pesky handle sticking out. Here is a pic of the size with an avocado I sent to my brother for perspective. It also has a slightly waffled bottom, nothing too aggresive, though:

pressure2.jpg

OG Kush

Yeah, really small. I stumbled upon it when looking to buy another Kuhn Rikon...but something that could double as a wide and low profile cooking vessel, unlided. Should work well. Same price as the larger models (just under $200), but no pesky handle sticking out. Here is a pic of the size with an avocado I sent to my brother for perspective. It also has a slightly waffled bottom, nothing too aggresive, though:

pressure2.jpg

Do people actually use that green tobasco sauce? When i tried it I couldn't even taste it, maybe because I'm Pakistani though so we need chilli with everything.

TheExodu5

Banned
I accidentally discovered a delicious recipe for, I dunno, some style of Mexican rice?

I made my meat slop last week (post-workout meal) with beef, cabage, onions, garlic, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne. Anyways, I only had a small bowl of it left in the fridge so I figured I wanted to eat it with something. I mixed it in with some white rice, added a bit of Sriracha, and finished it with the juice of half a lime. Holy shit. Friggin' delicious. I'm going to have to make it again.

Haly

I think "adding leftovers to rice" is a universal recipe in all cultures with some form of rice.

Haly

Color me surprised, I love stretching out some leftover curry sauce with rice.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Guys, what's a quick, easy, cheap, healthy side dish to have during the week with chicken or something? My go-tos now are cottage cheese (really no cooking) and sauteed zucchini with cream cheese.

Just trying to change it up a bit. :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Guys, what's a quick, easy, cheap, healthy side dish to have during the week with chicken or something? My go-tos now are cottage cheese (really no cooking) and sauteed zucchini with cream cheese.

roasting veg of all types is so easy and healthy. i throw some chopped broccoli, bell pepper, onion, and garlic in a bowl and toss it with a little extra virgin olio, salt, and pepper, then roast it at 450 for about 25 or 30 minutes on a sheet pan. easy breezy.

you can pretty much do this with any veg you like. carrots are great this way, but may take a little longer (i sometimes cheat and microwave them in a little water for about three minutes to give them a headstart).

My latest go-to is daikon carrot salad with miso tahini dressing. As long as you have a mandoline it's pretty damn fast, just use the mandoline to julienne the daikon and carrot, then toss it with a simple miso tahini dressing, something like this: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-miso-tahini-dressing-172942.

Super good, <5 minutes. Next time I make it I'll take some pics.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Recipe.
Now.

sauteed half a red onion and three diced sweet peppers in a half tablespoon of olive oil, then added about a cup of chopped button mushrooms, and sauteed that until they were soft. cranked the heat and kept everything moving with a wooden spoon to develop some fond on the bottom of the pan and give it some depth. scrape scrape scrape. tossed in about a tablespoon of soy for more umami, because i'm an umami-bomb fanatic. stirred in two teaspoons dried oregano, a teaspoon of chili powder, teaspoon dried mustard, and two teaspoons chopped garlic. everything was a little dry by then, and so i added about a half cup of crushed tomato to get everything moist again. all looked pretty good, so i went ahead and added 1/2 cup of cooked textured vegetable protein (TVP) that you can get in the refrigerated health food section of most stores (there's a wal-mart near me, which is a sure bet, if you have one nearby). also added about five chopped basil leaves and a ton of fresh thyme, which again, total sucker for fresh thyme and want it in everything. stirred that into my mixture, then added four to five tablespoons of good ol' simply heinz ketchup.

toasted the inside of the buns and piled it on. added the mustard for my girlfriend who insisted mustard was requisite.

note that i seasoned as i went along at a few different spots and didn't note it in my description (the onion & bell got salt and pepper, as did the mushrooms, and the tomatoes, then the final batch to taste).

maybe this narrative sort of recipe isn't what you were looking for, so i'll kinda lay out the ingredients at least for your use:

extra virgin olio
1/2 chopped red onion (mine was fairly large, but i love onion)
roughly 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (i used small sweet peppers, three of them)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked TVP (textured vegetable protein)
5 chiffonade basil leaves
butt-load fresh thyme
4-5 tablespoons good ol' simply heinz ketchup
girlfriend
bullseye of yellow ballpark mustard

i think you'll dig this. the TVP is a revelation to me.

Pav Bhaji?

I consider that to be the vegetarian Sloppy Joes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pav_Bhaji

sounds very tasty. i'll hunt it down as soon as possible. i take an oath.

Yes Boss!

Do people actually use that green tobasco sauce? When i tried it I couldn't even taste it, maybe because I'm Pakistani though so we need chilli with everything.

I like things hot just as much as everybody else. But I'm straight up american and love tabasco more than every other hot sauce out there. Green is great, and a relative newcomer, but it is awesome for the vinegar taste and flavor, not so much the heat. As a kid I'd cover my shawarmas with the red. Life-long tobasco lover.

DJ_Lae

Made some turkey burgers tonight to go with my homemade baked beans. I sort of locked myself into grilling something with those beans and they were great despite having a 24 hour prep/cook time. Maybe some liquid smoke would have helped give them a nice edge.

The turkey burgers were just ground drumsticks I picked up cheap, and I tried a trick of grinding bacon into the mix too. They tasted great and were nice and juicy, although the bacon did have the side effect of overpowering the turkey flavour (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Didn't get any photos, though, I was hungry and the burger was too good to leave alone for more than a few seconds.

Esch

Banned
tobasco is wack, but i can certainly enjoy this genius creation of food science:

09753-alt1.jpg

not hot at all, but a liberal amount mixed with some mayo on a chicken sandwich is a gamechanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom