• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indigo

heavy liquid, that bbq looks incredible! :drool: I really, really miss good bbq. :(

But that reminds me of a signboard I spotted on a recent trip to the Netherlands

signboard.jpg

didn't eat here (got some yum schnitzel around the corner), but trying to decipher the sign gave me a chuckle. Dorito chips with bbq sauce? Whut?

Okay, let's get started!

Smoke BBQ (3800 N. Pulaski) opened last December and has already created quite a stir.

They were just featured on an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network. Here's a youtube video of the segment. It's fun and very infomative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-oobRhesU

Some pictures:

smoque1.jpg

Menu:
smoquemenu.jpg

Brisket:
smoque2.jpg

Pork:
smoque.jpg

Brisket:
Smoque14.jpg

Saint Louis Style Ribs:
Smoque12.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Next up is Lem's BBQ House
311 E 75th St
Chicago, IL 60619

The Lem's barbecue legend began in 1953 when the Lemon brothers, who moved here from Mississippi, opened their first restaurant on Chicago's South Side. Now arguably one of the best barbecue carry-outs in the city, folks patiently wait in line for spareribs, rib tips and links, all lovingly slathered with your choice of Lem's hot or mild sauce, and layered with fries and white bread.

Lems20.jpg

Lem's 'Small End' Spare Ribs:
Lems23.jpg

Lem's Tips:
Lems1.jpg

Lem's Hot Links:
Lems6.jpg

Lems8.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Next: Honey 1
2241 N Western
Chicago, IL

After two years in the Austin neighborhood, Honey 1 pulled out and moved to this considerably larger Bucktown location in 2005. This family-run outfit (Robert Adams Sr. mans the smoker, his wife Patricia makes the secret, slightly-kicky sauce and son Robert Jr. handles operations) features spareribs smoked over hickory, red and white oak and occasionally a hit of cherry wood, in a massive custom-made 8-foot smoker. Owners tell us they give the ribs a touch of seasoning before loading 'em in; it takes around three hours to get the ribs cooked to smoky perfection

honey_1.jpg

Large Tip/Link Combo:
Honey1Western5.jpg

Spare Ribs:
Honey1Western6.jpg

Honey1Western8.jpg

BBQ Pit (real wood!):
Honey1Western12.jpg

Robert Adams workin' the pit:
Honey1Western18.jpg

Honey1Wagyu9.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

Next is Uncle Johns Barbecue
337 E. 69th St.
Chicago, IL 60637

UncleJohnsBBQ1.jpg

UncleJohnsBBQ3.jpg

Uncle John's has an Aquarium style smoker:
UncleJohnsBBQ8.jpg

Hot Links:
UncleJohnsBBQ19.jpg

Rib Tips:
UncleJohnsBBQ11.jpg

UncleJohnsBBQ16.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Last up is Barbara Ann's BBQ
7617 S Cottage Grove Av

Situated on a busy intersection, this small, carryout rib joint is a no-frills experience. But specialties -- including a limited menu of pork ribs and rib tips, beef rib tips, hot links, and fried or barbecued chicken -- make up for the lack of ambiance.

GNRBarbaraAnnNF1.jpg

Barbara Ann's also has a Chicago-style Aquarium Smoker:
GNRBarbaraAnn6.jpg

Real wood:
GNRBarbaraAnn3.jpg

Loading the hot links into the smoker:
GNRBarbaraAnn9.jpg

After a couple hours:
GNRBarbaraAnn20.jpg

Tips and Links:
GNRBarbaraAnn14.jpg

You may notice that the guy pictured here is the same guy pictured above at Uncle John's. His name is Mack, and he currently works at Uncle John's and is no longer at Barbara Ann's. I'll have to go back to see if it's any good, but if you had to choose, I would go to Uncle John's for some of Mack's excellent BBQ.

------------------------------------------------

Phew! I think that's it! Now I'm hungry for some BBQ...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What great post, heavy! Have you tried all the stuff by yourself and how long did it take you?

Thank you for sharing, thread would be a lot less fun without your contributions! :)

Here's my humble pics from tonight:

Melanzane al forno (gratinee'd tomato/egplant casserole)
smallP1020880.jpg

Salad "Italia" (mixed salads with egg and tuna)
smallP1020881.jpg

Grilled scampi
smallP1020883.jpg

Paglia e Fieno alla Leccabaffi (Linguini and spinach Linguini with a grogonzola/mushroom cream sauce)
smallP1020884.jpg

Enjoy!

Zyzyxxz

OMG getting so hungry looking at those BBQ ribs!

Unfortunately I know of no BBQ smoke houses in California, in fact most people when they bbq in my area they only grill meat, never seen anyone slow cook/smoke stuff.

Gotta go on a road trip that includes going to these bbq places

OnkelC said:
What great post, heavy! Have you tried all the stuff by yourself and how long did it take you?

Thank you for sharing, thread would be a lot less fun without your contributions! :)

Thank you very much, Onkle, that means a lot! :) And your Italian dinner looks great! I love Italian food with seafood. Sometimes people forget that Italian food isn't only beef and veal.

No, the BBQ wasn't eaten by me alone, and it was eaten over a period of many trips to the different places. But note that many of the BBQ restaurants have the same kinds of BBQ, like the hot links and pulled pork. That's what's cool about Smoque; they're bringing in lots of different regional BBQ from all over the US under one roof.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks for the heads-up. Another big THANK YOU for all the time you put in the collection. I'll try to do my best with tonights pics.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What the hell? How do you *dare* to accompain such scrumptious BBQ meats with white bread? Get a loaf of the real stuff, man.

Pan%20de%20hogaza%20O-TENTIC_tcm111-29292.jpg

Anyway, I wish I could contribute with something, but I have very little time and I no longer venture into the kitchen =( I hope to make some chicken tacos soon, though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rotten Zombie Puke, it stuck with me :lol

Would be nice to see more of you in the future, either as a contributor (again) or as a commentator.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sadly, most of my current diet is composed by this:

rec11.jpg

and this:
OP-WHEY10.jpg

I want to go back in shape, and this thread kills me =( Maybe next week I can cook something by myself but I tell you, anything not taco related looks like out of a Clive Baker book.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Well, the people survived the tartare, so one can assume the readers are hardcore enough for anything presented to them:lol

Keep it coming!

Zyzyxxz

Funky Papa said:

and this:

I want to go back in shape, and this thread kills me =( Maybe next week I can cook something by myself but I tell you, anything not taco related looks like out of a Clive Baker book.

Hmm I see so you eating healthy right now, so I bet you wouldn't want a nice succulent rib, soooo tender! sooo pink! With meat that falls off the bone when you breathe on it! Ahh doesn't that make you feel better that you are eating health?

Zyzyxxz

Anyway this my be LttP but over a month ago I went to this hotpot place in China and it was really good and cheap as well, I forgot I had the pictures though. I think the total was less than $30 USD for 5 people. Pretty swank price. Photos courtesy of a friend who likes taking pics with his DSLR

For those that do not know what I am talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot

Anyway the pics:

Me getting food, yeah I was hungry, you can tell by the speed of my hand
1463582950_fd4bd318c8_b-1.jpg
[/IMG]

How my setup looked at first: You can see a bowl of rice with steamed minced beef and mushroom mixture (f***ing good I tell you), also if you look at the cabbage patch you will notice a dark brown block, that is a mixture of rice and pork blood which has coagulated, sounds nasty but it is quite good. At the end one normally drinks the water after all the food has been boiled in it and it will have a very good flavor borrowing from the seafood, meat, and vegetables.
1463586784_7a225f045d_b.jpg

How it looked after:
1463590420_be81ae7392_b.jpg

And a friend played around with his food:
1462737703_67a77bc6b2_b.jpg

I also went to another hotpot recently but the pics of this one are suppose to be a Taiwanese style hotpot and we each had our own pot to eat from. The one I went to recently was one pot in the middle and everyone would share it. I'll post pics of that later.

Funky Papa said:
What the hell? How do you *dare* to accompain such scrumptious BBQ meats with white bread? Get a loaf of the real stuff, man.

Pan%20de%20hogaza%20O-TENTIC_tcm111-29292.jpg

I don't know why, but traditional BBQ is always served with white bread. I challenge you to find a BBQ joint South of the Mason Dixon line doesn't serve white bread exclusively. Who knows why, but that's the way it is. Most places use it to line the bottom of the carry out pan.

Tasteless, odorless, colorless and free from all that texture stuff, white bread, it's what's for dinner at your basic Southern style BBQ.

Solaros

A question and challenge for you chefs.

I have recently eaten at Chipotle and have fallen in love. If someone could closely replicate the Chicken Marinade and the Tomatillo Hot Salsa I would be forever in debt to you. Here is what I usually get with mine.

Rice (I can cook this :D )
Black Beans (I cook these but they have a thicker sauce to theirs, corn starch maybe?)
Chicken (I can't get the marinade right)
Hot Salsa (No idea where to start with this one)
Cheese
Sour Cream
Lettuce
Guacamole (I think I have this one down, I will post pictures later for it)

Ingredients for the Guacamole:

1 Avocado
Couple cloves of garlic
1/4 of a red onion
Half of a fresh squeezed lime
Some salt

Indigo

heavy liquid said:
I don't know why, but traditional BBQ is always served with white bread. I challenge you to find a BBQ joint South of the Mason Dixon line doesn't serve white bread exclusively. Who knows why, but that's the way it is. Most places use it to line the bottom of the carry out pan.

Tasteless, odorless, colorless and free from all that texture stuff, white bread, it's what's for dinner at your basic Southern style BBQ.

Truth. You don't go to a good bbq place for the bread!

Solaros

The only one I am missing now is the Hot Salsa recipe. That one on the site is a tomato based and on the Chipotle web site it says it is a tomatillo base.

DonCuco

Solaros said:
The only one I am missing now is the Hot Salsa recipe. That one on the site is a tomato based and on the Chipotle web site it says it is a tomatillo base.

Is their tomatillo based salsa very green , or more on the reddish side?

Well anyways I make a tomatillo based salsa everyday basically....

you will need tomatillos

chile de arbol, chile cola de rata, or chile japones.. those are names for the same chile... it's that thin pointy dried red chile.

galic cloves

powdered cumin

salt

all you have to do is peel the tomatillos ... it's easier if you just dump them in a sink filled with water and then start peeling them.

take those peeled tomatillos and boil them until they get soft.

take the chile de arbol .. i would say about a handful and toast them on low heat.. Be careful because these chiles when toasting are very strong and you can start coughing like crazy.. toast them for about 2 minutes.....

next just blend the tomatillos and chiles , and cloves of garlic, and cumin together, and salt together and that's it.

I gotta tell you though that my recipe is for a bucket sized salsa.. so you have to adapt the your size.. hope that helps...

Solaros

Well how long does that stuff keep assuming it is sealed and kept in the frig? It is red so I am assuming that just depends on the color of the chile? Give me some rough measurements. I never measure anything anyway so something like a pound of tomatillos, 4 good sized chiles, etc. will do just fine. Thanks in advance

DonCuco

Solaros said:
Well how long does that stuff keep assuming it is sealed and kept in the frig? It is red so I am assuming that just depends on the color of the chile? Give me some rough measurements. I never measure anything anyway so something like a pound of tomatillos, 4 good sized chiles, etc. will do just fine. Thanks in advance

Well if you refrigerate, it should last about 4-5 days.

Ok let's try this..

tomatillos 3 pounds

chiles about 12

cumin 1/2 table spoon

4 cloves of galic

salt to your liking.

start of with that , and then just modify to your preferences.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Solaros said:
I will post pictures when I make so as not to derail the thread, thanks for the answers.
Hi and welcome to the thread! share your results, please.

Just returned from dinner, it was uncommon to say the least. pics to follow tomorrow.

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
This is my "Whatever the Hell is left in the Fridge" platter. (The OP said "Everything Goes" :lol )

6yozhqx.jpg

- 3 Hot Dogs
- 1 Gratuitous amount of Valvetta Cheese
- 3 slices of baloney
- ketchup and mustard

I didn't have any hot dog buns, so I used baloney instead. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Skuld, really creative approach!:lol Thanks for sharing. Same goes for the great Hotpot pics Zyzyxxz, would like to see more.

Here are the pics from tonights night out, it was an unusual eating experience (as expected). Chef Potthoff had the menu "christmas-themed" and came up with these courses (sorry for the bad pics due to adversary lighting conditions):

smallP1020895.jpg

From top to bottom: various breads, amuse-gueule, seafood/fish starter, variations of veal (braised and boiled), pre-dessert, fig in cassis and homemade vanilla ice/rice pudding.

the bread service started with grilled milk bread and a confit from oranges and Campari:
smallP1020897.jpg

followed by a tomato baguette with pork/rosemary aspic and the obligatory quail egg (he finds them funny and decadent):
smallP1020899.jpg

smallP1020900.jpg

The amuse gueule was fried salmon with lentils and potato:
smallP1020903.jpg

seafood starter was (from left to right) sauteed Scampi on Basil leaves, a mousse from salmon, sole and basil, served on roasted walnuts (winning combination) and a scallop on steamed spinach:
smallP1020904.jpg

after some advent-themed performances, main course was odd at first sight, but seemed completely logical after first bite: Sauteed veal leg and poached shoulder, served with a dark cinnamon/port sauce. Side dishes were red cabbage (spiced with plum jam, apples and lingonberry, topped off with a pear cooked in white wine with clove) and - a slice of cake. Yes, cake, a hazelnut cake with gingerbread spices. Sounds odd, but was a winning combination again.
smallP1020908.jpg

The pre-dessert (egg nogg cream with caramelized orange) was served to us while we were out for a smoke, so no pics, but delish. The dessert itself was tasty, too:
smallP1020912.jpg

The fig was cooked in cassis juice with several spices.

All in all an interesting evening. The glorious finish was the fact that we nearly had to do a dine and das because the CC terminal was borked and we hadn't enough cash with us.:lol

Tonights dish will be something not that interesting. I went out to get some satay seasoning for tonight, but none of the stores in reach had it. As the christmas markets had their first regular day yesterday, I couldn't be bothered to fight the armies of mulled wine boozers in the city to get to my fave asia shop, so it'll be brussels sprouts with Nuremberg sausages (CTLance, see what you did?:lol ) and mashed potatoes tonight.

Stay tuned and share your stuff, folks!

adelante

Funky Papa said:

rec11.jpg

and this:
OP-WHEY10.jpg

LOL i was gonna post the same thing! In fact i'm takin ON Whey Gold as well (buy 'em in 10lbs packs each month)....damn this thread for reminding me of my "passion" for cookin (or at least my interetest in WANTING to cook something up)....if it weren't for my strict diet and the fact that i hit the gym on alternate days, i would've experimented with some dishes by now.. =(

woeds

Felt lazy, so I had some asian take-out. Fresh-wokked chicken, baked rice, baby-corn, bamboo slices, paprika, onions and chopped green beans with teriyaki sauce

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
Onkel, that looks delicious.
It's the kind of food that I would like to eat, but I would probably look like an idiot trying to figure out the correct way to.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Skuld said:
Onkel, that looks delicious.
It's the kind of food that I would like to eat, but I would probably look like an idiot trying to figure out the correct way to.
:lol
If a guest has to figure out how to eat a dish, it's the chefs' fault and not the guests. Each dish should be prepared to be eaten with fork, spoon and knife. Even seafood like lobster is/should be assisted by the waiter.

Here's the bangers'n'mash with brussels sprouts:
smallP1020929.jpg

Enjoy!

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
quail eggs serve no real purpose in cooking, except the fact that they are small and expensive.

Actually quail eggs (uzura tamago) are quite commonly used in Japanese cuisine

Top_Image.jpg

They're most often served hard boiled in a bowl of ramen.

people often buy them in little pouches of hard boiled quail eggs at the convenince store as a snack.

They're also served on fried skewers quite often (kushi age)

1-02.jpg

They're even served with curry rice

img_817806_12281785_0

I would buy some sometimes and make mini fried eggs out of them! :D

painey

nakedsushi said:
OnkelC, those brussel sprouts look delicious. I don't know what bangers and mash are, but I do like sausages, so I approve.

bangers and mash is british slang for sausages and mash :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dinner consists of the following:
1. Yoghurt creme with fresh mint from Algeria,

2. Lamb stew with various veggies in a tomato-feta sauce,

3. Salatit Banadura wu Jawz - tomato salad with walnuts, cucmbers and spring onions from Libya,

4. Salata Baladi - Peasant salad with bell pepper, tomatoes, onions, olive and feta from Egypt,

5. Braised onions with tamarind from the Lebanon

6. Spinach with prunes and coriander from Israel

7. Couscous-Salad with roast veggies from Marocco

8. roll filled with chickpeas, potatoes, chili and herbs from turkey,

9. Timman ib-Hakkakah - baked rice balls from Iraq.

Maybe I can take some pics, stay tuned!

dsc_0007.jpg

Long beans and soft tofu stir fried with a Thai curry sauce. This came out spicier than I thought, but not bad for a first try. Thankfully the broken jasmine rice and pressed barley soaked up some of the spiciness.

Flynn

Zyzyxxz said:

Looks awesome! Shabu shabu is easily one of my all-time favorite foods. I try to eat it every time I'm in LA or Northern California. I've been meaning to try other varieties of hot pot but haven't had many opportunities. It's not to common in Minneapolis where I'm living now.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Anybody got an idea for tonights dinner?
Requirements:

-for one person
-must be prepared fast
-weather in (D) is shitty, I don't want to drive through town to fetch exotic ingredients.
-No deep freeze pizza

Think Supermarket and point me to the aisles.

Zyzyxxz

Flynn said:
Looks awesome! Shabu shabu is easily one of my all-time favorite foods. I try to eat it every time I'm in LA or Northern California. I've been meaning to try other varieties of hot pot but haven't had many opportunities. It's not to common in Minneapolis where I'm living now.

hah well its a common thing to do in the winter, and right now it is almost winter, cold as hell already in Hong Kong here.

The thing I like about it over here compared to the U.S. is the price. For $58 HKD ($7 USD) I can get all you can eat hotpot. With multitudes of meat, seafood, and vegetables. Gonna go back in two weeks or so but I'll get pics of my last voyage up soon

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Requirements:

-for one person
-must be prepared fast
-weather in (D) is shitty, I don't want to drive through town to fetch exotic ingredients.
-No deep freeze pizza

umm...

scrambled eggs with minced meat?
just gets some eggs, ground pork/or whatever meat, scallions/green onions and you know the rest

or just do a quick stir fry with chicken slices, onions, peppers if you desire, and string beans

Anyway went out to town today and ate out.

For an afternoon treat went to this mango place which most of you have probably never heard of but its dam good, equivalent of a Jamba Juice in the states. In the picture if red bean with coconut juice and a mango ice cream with mango chunks and mango juice with rice balls. If you are ever in Hong Kong ask somebody where a Hui Lau Shan is or just say "mango"
huilaushan.jpg

Later on we just went for some cheap food, beef brisket and fatty beef slices (I forget what to call em)
randomfood.jpg

Grecco

OnkelC said:
Requirements:

-for one person
-must be prepared fast
-No deep freeze pizza

Pasta with creamy gorgonzola

1.Pasta
2.Butter
3.Cream
4.Gorgonzola cheese

a litle bit of butter on a saunce ban, let that melt, then place the cream, let that heat up a bit and melt in the gorgonzola. Mix in your favorite pasta, top with a litle bit of black pepper and parmesan. Done. One of my favorite, late night easy dinners

Mind you if you dislike gorgonzola, or a similar blue cheese ignore this

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
OnkelC said:
quail eggs serve no real purpose in cooking, except the fact that they are small and expensive.
Quail eggs are awesome, specially for ham toasts. I think I'll make some of those tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom