• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_2280.jpg

last nights dessert.

butterscotch molten cakes topped with french vanilla ice cream. didnt have the recommended butter pecan

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I planned to do some nice food for tonight. I really intended to. Grecco was hot on trail with the gorgonzola pasta, honest. BUT after standing in line at the lottery booth for a FUCKING 45 MINUTES (43 million Euro in the jackpot tomorrow), I just wanted to kill someone and went home for some stock pasta:
smallP1020984.jpg

To round off this post with something beautiful, here's a shot of my most recent acquisition:
smallP1020973.jpg

Enjoy.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks. Your recent pics were awesome btw, please show more of the HK cuisine varieties!

Any ideas for tonights dinner? Got an important schedule tomorrow, so "light" and "easy" spring to mind again. First bet would be some subs from the deli, But I'm open for suggestions.

tnw

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
hah well its a common thing to do in the winter, and right now it is almost winter, cold as hell already in Hong Kong here.

The thing I like about it over here compared to the U.S. is the price. For $58 HKD ($7 USD) I can get all you can eat hotpot. With multitudes of meat, seafood, and vegetables. Gonna go back in two weeks or so but I'll get pics of my last voyage up soon

yeah! hotpot (nabe in japanese) rules! Probably my favorite japanese dish.

actually my favorite is kimchee chigae, which I had last night actually at one of my favorite izakayas. For 380 yen (! like USD 3.50) you get a little pot of mushrooms (enoki, shiitake, maitake drooooooool), tofu, a raw egg, aaaand a bunch of other yummy stuff. Sticks to your bones and is sooooo tasty. :D

3939.jpg

The best is floating some mochi (cubes of pounded rice) and letting them get all gooey. They even have thinly sliced mochi that you can eat like shabu shabu. That stuff is awesome.

Zyzyxxz

wow that looks good!

Too bad they don't have that variation where I am, I should try it when I go back to the U.S. and also my friend cannot take too much spicy stuff.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonight dinner subs from the local deli, made from Manchego, cooked ham, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes and a horseradish/dill spread:
smallP1020986.jpg

smallP1020988.jpg

smallP1020990.jpg

Enjoy.

tnw

Banned
That sandwich looks amazing Onkel. It would be a cold day in hell when you could find a manchego sandwich like that here.

Although there is a french boulangerie near my old office that had comte cheese sandwiches with roasted vegetables.

Zyzyxxz said:
wow that looks good!

Too bad they don't have that variation where I am, I should try it when I go back to the U.S. and also my friend cannot take too much spicy stuff.

Chigae is Korean actually, so you would probably want to look for a Korean resturant.

Funny I go to a Japanese izakaya and order all Korean food :lol (I also ordered buchimgae, which is similar to okonomiyaki but better in every possible way :D )

chijimi-main.jpg

Zyzyxxz

tnw said:
Chigae is Korean actually, so you would probably want to look for a Korean resturant.

Funny I go to a Japanese izakaya and order all Korean food :lol (I also ordered buchimgae, which is similar to okonomiyaki but better in every possible way :D )

I know its Korean but the Korean restaurants in Hong Kong are mostly the tabletop BBQ type and I do not complain it is quite good but it is troublesome at a regular Korean restaurant since most do not offer an english menu and only my friends can read Chinese which makes it too much a pain in the ass for them to translate everything especially when they are not familiar with Korean food in english

tnw said:
actually my favorite is kimchee chigae

I loooove kimchee chigae! I get it probably 50% of the time when we go out for Korean. So good!

Onkle - That sandwich looks delicious! *droool*

Last night's dinner was a simple pasta:

DSCF1678.jpg

DSCF1677.jpg

Lately I've been eating a bazoi for breakfast. Like Wikipedia says, it's a Chinese steamed bun filled with meat and/or vegetarian fillings. They can be eaten anytime, but they're commonly eaten for breakfast. They can range in size, but the one's I've been eating are quite large and filling. These ones have mushrooms, cabbage, pork, a sausage and a quail egg.

DSCF1804.jpg

DSCF1806.jpg

Zyzyxxz

^OMG now I feell like I should wake up early tomorrow to buy some and have some nice warm soy milk.

Steamed bread is the best morning food, simple and clean but still I as Chinese as I am I love bacon, eggs, and toast in the morning as well and I am missing it quite much these days.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
OnkelC said:
Tonight dinner subs from the local deli, made from Manchego, cooked ham, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes and a horseradish/dill spread:
smallP1020986.jpg

smallP1020988.jpg

smallP1020990.jpg

Enjoy.

It's pretty interesting how different food cultures are in North America and Europe. In NA, a minimalist sandwich like that would just never fly, the bread would be big and thick hoagie bread, and it would be STUFFED with meat. I think I would like try a sandwich like the one above rather than the behemoths that you always get here.

woeds

@heavy liquid:
Those things are great! they're called bapao over here. Very cheap, and great for a quick snack/meal

JRPereira

capslock said:
It's pretty interesting how different food cultures are in North America and Europe. In NA, a minimalist sandwich like that would just never fly, the bread would be big and thick hoagie bread, and it would be STUFFED with meat. I think I would like try a sandwich like the one above rather than the behemoths that you always get here.

That sandwich isn't minimalist, it's -balanced-.

God it looks so delicious. I wish we had that sort of thing in america.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nice foods everyone, the breakfast dumpling looks extremely tasty! What's it with quail eggs this time of the year?:lol

The baguette is a treat, and it was only 4EUR btw. It's made by the local deli store which also sells cheese and cold cuts. You choose the toppings and spread out of the regular assortment and off you go:
Laden.jpg

(pic courtesy of the deli)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
heavy liquid said:
It's pretty much exactly like the description. I don't have the amounts, but you should be able to eyeball it easily enough.

Shrimp Linguine with garlic and fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and diced tomatoes.

Boil your linguine or spaghetti and set aside. While you're doing this, heat some olive oil in a skillet and stir in minced garlic. Then stir in your fresh basil, mushrooms, peas, bell peppers and either fresh or a can of diced tomatoes. Also add maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Let it simmer for a minute, and then add in your shrimp (don't overcook them!). Add in your linguine and toss it all together, add salt and pepper to taste, and you're done!

You can also really add to the flavor if you add a cup of medium-dry white wine , such as Sauvignon Blanc and/or a bit of cognac or brandy. I didn't have any on hand, unfortunately. Also, crushed red pepper flakes will heat it up a bit if you like things spicy.
thank you! :)

Wolffen

capslock said:

Actually, Jack-In-The-Box had some sandwiches along those lines a year or so ago, that were about a foot long round crusty bread of similar size to that, had lettuce, a little mayo, and the meat was kinda wrapped around dill pickle spears (two spears per sandwich, if I remember correctly). They were delicious. But I'd take OnkelC's sandwich over it any day.

edit: They were called the Pannido. It looks like it's stuffed with meat, but it's not; it's just that the meat is wrapped around the pickle spear:
pannido.jpg

That steamed bun looks heavenly. I wish I could get something like that here in South Carolina.

My wife is doing her annual Christmas open house next weekend, so we'll be spending the next 9 days making cookies and prepping dishes. I'll try and take some pictures for this thread late next week as everything comes together.

capslock said:

True to a certain extent. True in that you could never get a sandwich like that at a chain restaurant or the like. But I've had many sandwiches like that at mom-and-pop and independent delis. That's why I seek those places out. There's a fantastic family-owned Italian deli near me that makes sandwiches similar to that, that I've been meaning to take some photos of. One of these days...

woeds said:
@heavy liquid:
Those things are great! they're called bapao over here. Very cheap, and great for a quick snack/meal

Wolffen said:
That steamed bun looks heavenly. I wish I could get something like that here in South Carolina.

OnkelC said:
nice foods everyone, the breakfast dumpling looks extremely tasty! What's it with quail eggs this time of the year? :lol

Yeah, there seems to be many different names for them. Like "siopao" in Tagalog. They're really good; I love 'em.

It's also funny about the quail eggs, Onkle. The previous talk about them is what inspired me to post about the steamed buns. :lol

Jacobi

Banned
I wonder if the chinese steamed buns taste remotely like Germknödel or Dampfnudeln... They look the same and the preperation of the dough seems similar too...
203888.jpg

Zyzyxxz

*photos courtesy of my friend*

A friend's father came to Hong Kong and treated us to a nice (and *gasp* expensive) lunch.

A very luxurious buffet if I say so myself, this was some time ago, over a month but I just remembered I had the pics. The place had swordfish sushi, enough said.

1385630348_912f39ca4d_o.jpg

1384737619_f2b2ab9357_o.jpg

Also a shot of some Korean BBQ we have at a restaurant we have been to several times before. Good stuff, we choke down meat like real carnivores.
KBBQ4.jpg

Zyzyxxz

it was all you can eat of mostly a bunch of different meats. I do not remember what meats are in the picture.

From the top of my head I can remember we had choices of:

beef brisket cut, beef short ribs, beef steak meat, usual pork meat, pork neck meat (good but fat), bacon, pork shoulder, pork liver, lamb chops, chicken meat, chicken hearts, chicken wings, hotdogs (I do not know why), and some more types of meat.

Other than that there was also some seafood and veges but we all know Korean BBQ is all about the meat.

scottnak

Zyzyxxz said:
it was all you can eat of mostly a bunch of different meats. I do not remember what meats are in the picture.

From the top of my head I can remember we had choices of:

beef brisket cut, beef short ribs, beef steak meat, usual pork meat, pork neck meat (good but fat), bacon, pork shoulder, pork liver, lamb chops, chicken meat, chicken hearts, chicken wings, hotdogs (I do not know why), and some more types of meat.

Other than that there was also some seafood and veges but we all know Korean BBQ is all about the meat.

Oh man. I love Korean food (Well, I guess being half korean would explain some of that)
Always make sure to get some without fail when I go back home from college (I may like it, but not enough to shill my own money :p)

I made some "throw in whatever I can" fried rice yesterday. No pictures, cause I can't find my cable for my cellphone...

Threw in 2 eggs, dump in some leftover rice... add some tuna flakes, diced spam, ketchup, worschorshire (sp??), hot sauce (tapatio for a kick!), sesame oil...

And for kicks... I peeled off some umeboshi stuck it in... then eventually decided to put the whole pit in there. It actually gave it a nice kick. In the end, wish I had added another one... Mm.

Woo.

And what a buffet table o_o

tnw

Banned

Those are called manju over here. They sell them in the convenience store, but completely PALE in comparison to the one you've got there. Chinese manju are waaaay bigger and have a lot more fillings. I love going to Chinatown in Yokohama and getting a nice big shrimp chili-man that I have to eat with two hands! :D

One of the sweet manjus they were selling around halloween was based on the sanrio character rirakkuma ( it was called 'rirakkuman :lol :/) It had pumpkin filling (for halloween!) and had his likeness embossed on the top of it.

middle_1135349533.jpg
img20071009_t.jpg
20071011185002s.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Weekend schedule: Tonight will be a Maccaroni/ham/tomato/cheese casserole and strawberry quark as a dessert, Tomorrow will be pasta with tomato sauce (courtesy of the wife) and a mystery dessert!

Stay tuned and share your thought/comments/recipes, folks.

We went out for ramen for lunch today.

Homemade gyoza:

gyoza.jpg

They had two specials which I've never seen there before. Duck Ramen and Japanese Leek Ramen. We both had the Duck Ramen. Hopefully they'll have the Japanese Leek Ramen next time we go, as that also sounds pretty good.

Duck Ramen:

duckramen1.jpg

duckramen2.jpg

We went grocery shopping today, and I snapped some pictures of some odd foods that I haven't tried yet. I'll have to look up some recipes for some of this stuff. Any suggestions? :)

DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1865.jpg

DSCF1866.jpg

DSCF1867.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

DSCF1870.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

Actually, I have had buffalo burgers before. It's good.

Sumidor

Had some sushi last night..

sushi.jpg

I can't really remember what it was.. Pretty drunk by the time it came out, but it was good stuff.

Then I had some really tasty desserts..

S5030059.jpg

S5030060.jpg

Hopefully I can remember to take more pictures... and of course remember what I ate.

tnw

Banned
heavy liquid said:
Duck Ramen[/IMG]

Duck is suprisingly common in Japan I've found. I mean it's not everywhere, but it is more prevelant than in the US I've found.

I quite like duck nabe (I eat poultry every once and awhile). I bought a duck udon set in the grocery store a while back.

tnw said:
Duck is suprisingly common in Japan I've found. I mean it's not everywhere, but it is more prevelant than in the US I've found.

I quite like duck nabe (I eat poultry every once and awhile). I bought a duck udon set in the grocery store a while back.

Mmm, duck nabe sounds good. I do remember seeing duck on the menu at a few restaurants when I was in Japan, now that I think about it.

The duck ramen was good, but I didn't like it as much as most of their other ramen. It seemed to be missing something. Every now and then they have bok choy ramen available, which I absolutely love.

tnw

Banned
there's an udon resturant chain in the tokyo that has a nice duck nabe (kamo nabe). It's awesome because the give you a whole root of wasabi and a grater to grate your own fresh wasabi, none of that powdered horseradish mixture crap. They even give you a little baggy to take the wasabi home in! :D

Oh and heavy liquid I love Tony Chachere stuff. We always had there spice in our kitchen growing up. It wasn't until I went to New Orleans that I saw they have a whole frickin line of products!

tnw said:
there's an udon resturant chain in the tokyo that has a nice duck nabe (kamo nabe). It's awesome because the give you a whole root of wasabi and a grater to grate your own fresh wasabi, none of that powdered horseradish mixture crap. They even give you a little baggy to take the wasabi home in! :D

Oh and heavy liquid I love Tony Chachere stuff. We always had there spice in our kitchen growing up. It wasn't until I went to New Orleans that I saw they have a whole frickin line of products!

That sounds awesome! I've never had real wasabi, but it's definitely something I've always wanted to try! I understand it's pretty expensive. There used to be a guy in the US who grew and distributed it over on the West Coast, but I'm not sure if he does anymore. It's a pretty niche market and I think he was having trouble getting people to understand that the paste stuff in almost all sushi places isn't the real thing and it actually tastes quite different. One of these days...

I'm not familiar with Tony Cachere's stuff. Interesting. I'll have to keep my eye out and see if they have anything else from him! I actually considered buying that Turducken (another thing I've always wanted to try), but I didn't feel like dropping $70 bucks on it, and I wouldn't have had room in the fridge for it anyway. Maybe I can talk my mom into serving it for Christmas dinner. :)

tnw

Banned
The most popular Tony Chachere product is probably the Creole Spice. It's a bit like a spicy lawry salt. As it says, it really is great on everything :D

51446HMY27L._AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Their website is full of really neat stuff.

These injectable marinades look like a cool thing to add to an adventurous family's christmas turkey/etc.

http://www.tonychacheres.com/marinades/

Grecco

have to look up some recipes for some of this stuff. Any suggestions? :)

Rabbit is pretty common and tastes pretty good.

Ive also had the pleasure of having Gator, when i visited the southern keyes in florida. Not so good. Very tough and salty. Reminded me of sausage or chorize.

SickBoy

Grecco said:
Rabbit is pretty common and tastes pretty good.

Ive also had the pleasure of having Gator, when i visited the southern keyes in florida. Not so good. Very tough and salty. Reminded me of sausage or chorize.

I'm sure a lot of it's in how it's prepared... I've had alligator done in a cajun style (so maybe you're right -- sausage substitute? But I didn't find it very tough... enjoyed it as a novelty, but I don't think it's something I'd go out of my way to try).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid, my, what an interesting array of meats! :lol The reptile section (rattlesnake and gator) should taste like chicken, whereas buffalo is a really tasty treat. No clue about caribou and elk, though. Extra LOL for the turducken!

The Duck Ramen looks ace, too, it's like Tampopoooo!!!!!!! and Duck Soup combined.

AND CAREFUL WITH THAT RABBIT, people who buy rabbit seem to be a strange bunch of folks:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012182G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
;)

Thank you for sharing and good luck with experimenting!

Sumidor, Sushi looks amazing. What's the second dessert?

Same goes for the Lasagna, Anasui Kishibe.

We had a night out at the parents, with a Macaroni casserole and stawberry quark as dessert:
smallP1020992.jpg

smallP1020993.jpg

smallP1030004.jpg

The wife made christmas cookies yesterday, the crescent-shaped ones are "Vanillekipferl", the lumpy ones are coconut macaroons and the chocolate-covered ones are almond gingerbreads.
smallP1020999.jpg

(Paging Lelielle and cloudwalking to show their masterpieces!)

Keep sharing, folks.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Modest sunday dinner, spaghetti with a Napoli sauce (courtesy of the wife):
smallP1030008.jpg

and a pic of our advent deco (also courtesy of the wife):
smallP1030015.jpg

smallP1030009.jpg

Enjoy!

Good stuff, Onkel! Oh, and I'm guessing that Sumidor's second dessert is green tea ice cream, with some powdered green tea sprinkled on top.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
OnkelC said:
(Paging Lelielle and cloudwalking to show their masterpieces!)

ohoho, and just in time ;)

i made some cookies with a classmate of mine for samichlaustag... which was also the second last day of our german classes... so we decided to make some of them german-language themed! we decided to make them the flags of the three german-speaking countries we'd visited:

(for those who don't know, it's austria, germany, and switzerland. oh and sorry, the pic is rotated.)

d07395ca.jpg

because she was helping me decorate, and because we had to make enough for 10 people and their families, we weren't as "thorough" as i would have been if i'd decorated alone :p but i think they still turned out okay! this is only a small part of the ones we made:

4445975e.jpg

(oh and the dark-cloaked guy with the red eyes is schmutzli, santa's henchman :p)

Xater

Damn it right when I hink of challenging Irongaf to make some christmas cookies it's already happening. Keep this thread going guys I love it even though I am just a lurker*

*Translation: Even though I can't cook. :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
cloudwalking, awesome! The two red Santas in the top right corners could also pass as a map of switzerland:lol !
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more culinary stuff from Schweiz.

Xater said:
Damn it right when I hink of challenging Irongaf to make some christmas cookies it's already happening. Keep this thread going guys I love it even though I am just a lurker*

*Translation: Even though I can't cook. :lol

Thank you for the kind words. Always nice to hear from a formerly silent reader, it's what keeps most of us going in here. Comments are always appreciated.

CTLance

Aw man, coming to this thread is always so depressing. :lol

cloudwalking said:
ohoho, and just in time ;)
[SNIP]
(oh and the dark-cloaked guy with the red eyes is schmutzli, santa's henchman :p)
Oh god. I just spent an exhausting (yet extremely fun) two days with my dad baking cookies and the end result is nowhere near that. Awesome.

Schmutzli, huh? Our family lore has a Krampus. He's assigned to the whole punish-naughty-children dealio, as opposed to St. Nikolaus (Santa), who only brings presents to good kids. He also passes judgement (i.e. he stops Krampus if the kid was nice the whole year through - he carries a book with the kids' "criminal" record with him for that express purpose).
Krampus is a horrible, huge, muscular and dirty/stinky guy in what barely passes as clothing. He wields a rough club and sports various painful-looking tools and an axe strapped to his belt, as well as an ominous huge sack of rough cloth. He also wields various metal parts that clang together with every motion he makes. You hear him from three blocks away, and you'll shit your pants as a kid with a guilty conscience, I can assure you.
I cannot describe the horrorstories I heard as a small kid - about being stuffed in the sack and taken away (if I was lucky) or being beaten and eaten (if I wasn't). I was one obedient boy as long as I believed in St. Nikolaus... or rather, in Krampus.

You thought Pyramid head was scary? Think again. Krampus can stuff him in his sack and beat him like a pinata with both hands tied behind his back.
+9 Resistance to horror stories and childhood trauma GET!

Parents (/relatives) can be so cruel. :D

Back to cookies: I wanted to make photos of the baking and haul, but my camera is a piece of shit and crapped out on me... it even corrupted the CF card. The pics I could salvage are extremely off-color (way too much yellow, flash didn't work out) and blurry (shutter speed am slow). I tried to work around that, but it only got worse. :( Nevertheless, here they are:

Six types of cookies, only two kinds of dough. I love it when things are simple.

The basic dough is just that... basic. 3 parts flour, 1 part sugar, a bit less than 1 part butter; One egg, one teaspoon vanilla sugar and baking powder, and one very generous shot (Stamperl) Strohrum (rum) for every 300 grams of flour. Be swift with the kneading and let the dough rest for one night (>6 hours) at ~7°C.

Sterntaler ("Star coins"):
85llb2o.jpg

They're made by fashioning round cookies out of basic cookie dough, then top that with a chocolate layer and a marchpane (aka marzipan) star. Very yummy. Extremely easy to make (please ignore that we still managed to screw up).

Hausfreunderl ("friend of the family"+diminutive+plural) are similar in a way, they're from top to bottom a helping of chocolate, some marchpane, a jam+rum mix, and baked cookie dough.
They're on the top left in the picture below.

Nougatplätzchen (nougat cookies) are just that... two thin cookies with nougat in between, topped with some sort of chocolate and decorative stuff. In the middle of the pic.

Julkücherl (please don't ask me to translate that... Yule cookies maybe?) are easy to make too... just make a cookie (preferably in a angled shape), mix some egg yolk with a few drops of egg liqueur, coat the cookies with it three times (let them dry in between) and sprinkle with a cinnamon/sugar mix when the last coat of "paint" is still wet. You can see them on the lower and right borders in the pic.
7yp7uxv.jpg

Teescheiben ("tea slices") require you to mix the basic dough with ground nuts. Make round cookies, add a layer of jam with a generous helping of rum, and top off with a round cookie with a whole in it. Then bury below powdered sugar. Needs to rest a bit before consumption.
7wa72p2.jpg

The last type of cookie (not pictured) is an extremely basic and very unforgiving dough. There's no written documentation about it, it's only handed down in our family by showing the correct texture and taste to the apprentice - the dough needs to be kneaded by hand, it doesn't work if it's made with machines or if it can't rest undisturbed for 6-8 hours.

It tastes... well... it's sweet. No redeeming qualities in that department. It's obviously a cookie, but that's where the cookie likeness ends. If I had to liken it to anything I'd say it's our families' equivalent to Lembas wafers. It's one tough cookie (sorry), and it'll stay edible and arguably tasty for crazy amounts of time. I think if you do it right you can also use it to make a cozy fire or build a sturdy flood-and-earthquake-proof shelter. It's yellowish when baked correctly, but some of my relatives prefer it extra-done, which will give it a brown color and kind of slightly-burnt taste, which is kind of pleasant, to be honest. Only way I can eat it, actually.
Only old family members like that particular cookie. It's one of those war-time things, I guess.

Things I have learned this weekend:
Do not buy cheap flour when making cookies.
Also, if your dad spouts nonsense, ignore him, especially if he's wrong and insists that the discounters' cheap flour is good enough.
Our basic cookie dough developed into a rubber ball-like consistency. It bounced quite nicely and would try to regain its original shape when deformed; understandably it was a major pain in the ass as far as actually making cookies out of it was concerned. It also lost roughly 50% of its size along a random axis when baked. Strange stuff. I'm pretty sure that it would have gained sentience if left alone for a bit longer. Ah well. Dad got his yearly cookie-baking bonding experience, that's all that matters. :lol We've been doing this for fifteen years now, and this is the first time something went wrong.

Grecco

My dad will be visiting next week so ill be doing dinner. Shrimp Mango Ceviche, Escargot again, and Pasta with Lemon Arugola Cream sauce will post pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom