• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuvoc

PAGE 31 BEGINS!

Tonights dinner was a lazy one.

Manwich (turkey) sloppy joes, store-bought spanakopitas and mini stuffed grape leaves. Washing it down right now w/ a Full Moon winter ale.

And if you have a Giant Eagle near you, i suggest you check the frozen section for the market district spanakopitas. They take 7 minutes in the over and the puff pastry is really light and crispy. the only down side is that they're a bit expensive.

dinner12-9-07.jpg

Tuvoc

Zyzyxxz said:
so...do you eat the grape leaves?

I ask because we have a Asian variant but we use a lotus leaf and we unwrap it to eat.

yeah, you eat them just like that. The leaves themselves are very soft and almost melt apart when you bite into them

I love stuffed grape leaves. There's a lot of Lebanese restaurants where I live, and I grew up eating that kind of food (among other things). There's usually two common versions: vegetarian grape leaves, and meat grape leaves. The meat grape leaves are normally stuffed with ground lamb and rice.

Tuvoc

heavy liquid said:
I love stuffed grape leaves. There's a lot of Lebanese restaurants where I live, and I grew up eating that kind of food (among other things). There's usually two common versions: vegetarian grape leaves, and meat grape leaves. The meat grape leaves are normally stuffed with ground lamb and rice.

I never knew they made them with meat. I've been eating them forever and I've only had the ones with rice and chick peas. I bet the meat stuffed ones are good.

tnw

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

I ask because we have a Asian variant but we use a lotus leaf and we unwrap it to eat.

the leaves are very good actually, or at least inoffensive.

there's gotta be a turkish/lebenese/greek resturant in Hong Kong somewhere that serves these. They're often called dolmas, fyi.

One of my friends from my high school had her senior party and got a gigantic tin of these from a some resturant for the party. There were tons of left overs and I remember just gorging on them at her house during the summer a couple times. I grew up eating these too. Very tasty.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Zyzyxxz said:

I remember eating something like that but it was banana leaves, whatever that is.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CTLance, NOW WE'RE TALKING! Schmutzli, Krampus, whatever, ours is Knecht Ruprecht:
nikolaus2000.jpg

Grecco, looking forward to your efforts, sounds promising.

Tuvoc, adventurous combo!:lol

Thanks to all of you for sharing.

I know grape leaves from the greek cuisine, usually pickled and filled with spiced rice as a starter:
smallCIMG4991.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dinner will be Calzone, made with prefab dough. Or, as some folks call it, Pizzastrudel. stay tuned.

elseanio

There was as a continental market in town today, and I bought some crocodile fillets steaks. I'm wondering what, and how, to cook them with. Any ideas GAF?

Zyzyxxz

PirateSean said:
There was as a continental market in town today, and I bought some crocodile fillets steaks. I'm wondering what, and how, to cook them with. Any ideas GAF?

fried? When I went to Thailand I went to this zoo with all sorts of weird acts such as baby tigers treating a pig as its mother (the tigers were sucking off the teets of the pig)

Enough about that though, anyway one of main attractions were the gators/crocodiles?

I forget but they sold fried gator on a stick and it had a texture like chicken, I wanted to say it tastes like chicken but not really.

Damn I came into GAF hungry as hell, and I come along and click on this thread. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

[/stillHungry]

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nice donut, nakedsushi (what a fitting name for the cooking thread btw)!

Only one pic from me today, turned out disastrous. Never trust readymade pizza dough, kids!

smallP1030022.jpg

for reference: homemade dough

smallP1020801.jpg

nakedsushi said:
Those pizzas look like delicious tumors.

:lol

The second one looks like it could be a sea creature. Even though it was disastrous, it still looks it may have been tasty. Eating around the burned edges, of course.

I actually like seeing the mistakes as much as the successes, so thanks for sharing!

elseanio

Zyzyxxz said:
fried? When I went to Thailand I went to this zoo with all sorts of weird acts such as baby tigers treating a pig as its mother (the tigers were sucking off the teets of the pig)

Enough about that though, anyway one of main attractions were the gators/crocodiles?

I forget but they sold fried gator on a stick and it had a texture like chicken, I wanted to say it tastes like chicken but not really.

I ended up frying it and having it on the side with a paella my dad made. I found it had the texture more of fish, but yeah, tasted like white meat. My brother did not enjoy it, said it tasted too much like fish (which he doesn't like).

It was expensive for the little amount of meat I got, but I'm glad I've tried it.

2097483823_6f9eb1c66a.jpg

Dessert from a few days ago. I can't remember what it's called, but it combines chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, toffee sprinkles and whipped cream.

Zyzyxxz

PirateSean said:
I ended up frying it and having it on the side with a paella my dad made. I found it had the texture more of fish, but yeah, tasted like white meat. My brother did not enjoy it, said it tasted too much like fish (which he doesn't like).

It was expensive for the little amount of meat I got, but I'm glad I've tried it.

might have been the type of gator meat I had since that was when I was in thailand so the meat might vary?

Overall I do not think it'd be worth buying but something you just try once to say you have though it was very cheap in thailand but I dont live there and wouldnt want to anyway.

CTLance

I was very unmotivated to cook today because my graphics card and digicam both simultaneously decided to commit suicide, and other not-so-nice private stuff... time to mope around and watch TV/play consoles. :|

Hence... Maultaschen. They're made from ground meat, bread, spinach and spices wrapped in noodle dough, have a subdued and very tender taste. Outwardly, they are square and flat, the filling is greenish. There are all sorts of Maultaschen derivates, but that's how the originals look. Thankfully they can be had pre-made at various discounters in germany and are great for the quick-n-dirty cooking style of singles like me.

They go great with a good broth.... or you can cut them into stripes and roast them with some onions. I didn't have normal onions, only premade roasted ones. I even added egg, some leftover baked potatoe pieces and cheese just to be different. The cheese was not that good an idea, but the result was tasty enough and certainly very filling.

One day I'm gonna be able to afford a new camera and show neogaf how a real "Bauernomelette" (farmer omelette) looks like, because the above is already half there. It's just something to recycle anything you find in the kitchen. The nice thing is everybody has their own recipe. No two servings ever taste the same, either.
Short version: Take edible stuff (potatoes, noodles, bread, meat, sausages, ham, tofu, tomatoes, whatever), put into oiled pan, heat, mix eggs with spices and cream/milk/etc, add on top, let simmer until done. It's a thick pancake with stuff in it. Sounds simple, eh? It is. It's a cheap and quick meal for the poor, huddled masses. I know it as being a bavarian dish, but I'm pretty sure a braindead recipe like that has been reinvented all around the globe at one time or another. Nonetheless, it's a very solid and tasty dish that'll keep you going even if your kitchen is virtually void of food. It's great for recycling small amounts of leftovers into a full-blown meal.

Zyzyxxz

hah recycling leftovers is what I do best!

My father has the skills of a restaurant chef but for some odd reason he became a contractor when he came to America.

Anyway I typically use my leftover meats and veges to make fried rice.

Similar to how you described your omelette's as never tasting the same it is the same case with my so called "Lazy Fried Rice" though it is somewhat intensive like any fried rice.

Carton

I was a little concerned whilst preparing this, because the dough was quite tough; I really relied on a pin, where normally i'd work it mostly by hand. Nonetheless, it made for a tasty dinner.

Toppings: pizza sauce (store bought), anchovies, coppa, spinach, mushrooms and mozzarella.

09122007388.jpg

09122007389.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That's one tasty looking pizza, Carton! There is no shame in using a pin to spread the dough. I appreciate the use of spinach as a topping. Thank you for sharing!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be a mixed vegetables platter.. Other suggestions than broccoli/romanesco, peas, carrots and corn?

Kyoufu

Guys, I request help :(

Tomorrow a few friends and I are going to be attempting making home-made pizzas. The only problem we face is the dough. We don't know how to make good dough that won't end up ruining everything.

HALP!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Kyoufu said:
Guys, I request help :(

Tomorrow a few friends and I are going to be attempting making home-made pizzas. The only problem we face is the dough. We don't know how to make good dough that won't end up ruining everything.

HALP!
Hi.

you could try this basic dough, works out fine and without too much hassle:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4580303&postcount=61
(scroll down a bit for the dough part)
be sure to use LOTS of flour while spreading it out.

Zyzyxxz

+1 to the premade dough suggestion.

Unless you have good experience and plenty of time to practice by yourself don't bother.

Buy the dough, get your own sauce, choose your cheese and toppings and pop open some sodas/beer and chill.

Pizza should not be a high-involvment food

Tuvoc said:
Go to a local Italian food store/bakery and get some premade dough. It's really cheap too.

Yep, that's what I usually do. And by premade, make sure it's made by the people in the market and not some mass-produced brand in a can or something. The Italian markets that sell pizza dough in my area usually have them in little plastic bags in the fridge. When you take them out, immediately coat it with some flour and then stretch it out by hand.

Sprinkle corn meal on your pans instead of using oil to keep the dough from sticking. It'll make your pizzas less messy and they'll taste better.

P1010107.jpg

Also, when you're putting on your sauce, I find it easiest to use a large spoon. Try to get the sauce even and without any streaks. This way, it will cook evenly. If you have streaks in your sauce, your pizzas could burn in those areas.

P1010108.jpg

P1010109.jpg

After your sauce is on the pizza, you can easily stretch the dough out a bit towards the edge of the pizza. The weight of the sauce on the dough helps with this.

P1010110.jpg

P1010111.jpg

Same thing applies to the cheese and toppings. Try to keep it as evenly spread as possible. This way you'll have all of your toppings in every slice and it'll cook better. Good luck!

Pizza1010003.jpg

Kyoufu

Finding pre-made italian dough in my area may prove to be difficult. There is only one Italian food shop here and I'm not really sure if they have it. I will check but if they don't, I'm forced to make the dough itself. Gah! Onkel's post is really helpful atleast.

I'm tempted to walk in an italian pizza place nearby and ask for some dough lol.

I'll post pics of the mess tomorrow!

Grecco

Kyoufu said:
Finding pre-made italian dough in my area may prove to be difficult. There is only one Italian food shop here and I'm not really sure if they have it. I will check but if they don't, I'm forced to make the dough itself. Gah! Onkel's post is really helpful atleast.

I'm tempted to walk in an italian pizza place nearby and ask for some dough lol.I'll post pics of the mess tomorrow!

Ive bought dough from pizza places before. Many will gladly sell to you.

Try using a Barbecue grill to cook it btw.

Grecco's right. My dad used to buy dough from pizza places all the time when I was growing up. You should definitely try this route, if there are no Italian markets in your area.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Call me stupid or ignorant, but I honestly never had the idea of asking a pizzeria to sell me dough yet. Gonna try it out.

Zyzyxxz

is that hollandaise sauce?

Looks good, recently I've been going vege on half of my meals at school since the meat offerings turn me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom