• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! I caught a rare appearance of a place, or I guess rather The Place that does them in Chicago on an early morning dvr recording and they looked ever so nifty/fun with the ceramic bowl removal at serving time. Looked so good...and alas I still have yet to get more experience with even the normal deep dish pizzas out there beyond Uno's in a deli.

Definitely wishing this endeavor well and looking forward to the pics!

Yes Boss!

I actually googled cause I never heard of it before. Not what I was expecting, the overturn thingie.

I had settled on making a lamb, zuchini, mushroom, carrot, onion, white bechamel, white wine, cheese interior then cooking them in ramekins. Wanna use a pizza dough so I'm gonna tip them out so they look like little mushrooms.

Corto

Made ribollita for dinner tonight:

url]

I confess I had to google hehehe I'll try this for sure on the coming cold winter nights. A hot soup is godsend in those.

^-- It's super easy. I had some leftover beans in tomato sauce I made a few days ago, so I just used those, added zucchini, kale, swiss chard, more water, then boiled for ten minutes and tossed in some cubed stale bread, salt, and pepper. My beans and tomatoes were already cooked with onion, but if they weren't, I would have put in chopped onion in the beginning too.

DJ_Lae

That looks delicious.

I'm going to have to step up soup/stew production for the winter, particularly with me not being prepared for the cold temperatures here. I've got a turnip right now that's just begging to be put into a stew, plus a bunch of cubed pork meat in the freezer. That and carrots and potatoes and onions and it pretty much makes itself.

That and other comfort foods (most of which play well with a slow cooker) - beef stroganov, chicken a la king, borscht, chili, etc. Coming home on a cold day to a warm house smelling of stew is a fantastic thing.

Collete

Metroid, Auron...
Oh how I wish to be skilled like that some day...
Some day!
Wonderful work!

Made ribollita for dinner tonight:

Looks healthy and delicious, nice work!

Made some rice and beans this week but haven't had an opportunity to take a picture of it.
So here it is!:

gE4O6.jpg

Tweaked the recipe a bit from the original from vegweb.com by adding chili powder, chili flakes, parsley, bay leaf, and more onion.
Still a nice base recipe though, and filling!

DJ_Lae

Speaking of pork and stew, anyone have any tips? I usually just do a simple beef stew with cubed meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and then whatever other vegetables I have lying around, but I don't think translating that straight to pork would work.

Some recipes I've seen online also include adding stuff like condensed mushroom soup (which I'm okay with, it's a guilty pleasure of mine) to add richness. I've made butternut squash based stews before, usually with sausage, so that would probably translate well too.

Regardless of what stew I make, though, it has to be paired with fresh biscuits.

Zyzyxxz

Speaking of pork and stew, anyone have any tips? I usually just do a simple beef stew with cubed meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, and then whatever other vegetables I have lying around, but I don't think translating that straight to pork would work.

Some recipes I've seen online also include adding stuff like condensed mushroom soup (which I'm okay with, it's a guilty pleasure of mine) to add richness. I've made butternut squash based stews before, usually with sausage, so that would probably translate well too.

Regardless of what stew I make, though, it has to be paired with fresh biscuits.

You can use pork in place of beef but recommended cuts to use are shoulder, shoulder butt, pork shank, pork belly, pork neck. Last two highly recommended.

Yes Boss!

Made some of the guts for my Pizza Pot Pie. Duxelle, cooked meat (sausage, not lamb like I planned), bechamel, mirepoix with zuchini instead of celery.

Actually it is more like Pizza/Lasagna Pot Pie. Plan is to layer it all with some nice soft cheeses, put it in a little dough package and bake it off.

Gonna make some dough now. There is some yeast in the fridge that is three years old. I'm sure it will be good...always heard that you just use more yeast. No kitchenaid here so I'm gonna have to knead by hand.

DSC00642.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Next cake!

2 layered Red Velvet Cake with Buttercream

So after trying new stuff for the last 4 cakes or so, it feels good to bake something you've baked before. Well last time I ran out of red food color and lost my patience whipping the cream, so it's still a cake victory. My technique for coating the cake has defintely also improved during the last few weeks :)

Whenever someone posts a beautiful cake, it should be mandatory for them to also post the recipe. :)

Yes Boss!

Finished my pizza pot pie. Made it to look like a mushroom!

I let it sit out for a few hours to serve at room temp. Learned a few things...should have blind baked the dough in the ramekin a bit then filled and finished in the oven. I had to unmold it then finish it off outside the ramekin.

It is filled with these layers: thick layer of bechamel, sausage, reggiano, fresh mozzarella, duxelle, vegetable trio, more reggiano and a couple of parsley leaves.

DSC00645.jpg

Finished my pizza pot pie. Made it to look like a mushroom!

I let it sit out for a few hours to serve at room temp. Learned a few things...should have blind baked the dough in the ramekin a bit then filled and finished in the oven. I had to unmold it then finish it off outside the ramekin.

It is filled with these layers: thick layer of bechamel, sausage, reggiano, fresh mozzarella, duxelle, vegetable trio, more reggiano and a couple of parsley leaves.

DSC00645.jpg

Aw that pizza pot pie looks so cute! Nice crust on top too. Also, isn't arugula and parmesan a great combination?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
My mom brought over metric tons of frozen chopped tomatoes from her garden earlier this year. I decided to give tomato bisque a shot.

Followed this recipe from food network. Not bad..

Of course I had to have a grilled cheddar/colby sandwich to make it a classic rainy day meal.

iBtVpnQs8IM6D.jpg

I'm disappointed in the GS3 photo quality. :(

XnMt0.jpg

Meh

Meat: Boar's Head Capocollo Sweet Solid enough as reckoned since Boar's Head does good work on everything as far as I know and it is good to finally have something fresh and new. However...

Crumble: Good Health Natural Foods Kettle-Style Garden Tomato Basil Known from munching on the bag this past week that it was nicely oiled and zesty on the proper seasonings. However.....

Cheese: Camembert Yeah, this was actually new to me. As is, obviously melted nicely even if I should've been more diligent with ring removal, has sort of a chewy/silky thing going on and generally tastes OK.

The problem comes from everything else, in that for whatever reason the Meat/Crumble very much lost all their flavor to the rather mild Camembert----which was no fun at all. First time I can recall this problem cropping up, and even stranger that is isn't like this was some bombastic cheese to drown things out with. : /

Yes Boss!

Aw that pizza pot pie looks so cute! Nice crust on top too. Also, isn't arugula and parmesan a great combination?

Straight-up arugala is really nice. I actually, yesterday, took all the extra ingredients for the pot pie and made a pizza...no cheese, just globs of bechamel. Then I put a pig pile of arugala on top and baked it. Really good. I got the idea from a pizza place I went to in san francisco where they put stinging nettled on the pizza prior to baking.

The crust on the mushroom was done with egg wash and parmesan to make it mottled like a woodsy mushroom.

I'm supposed to fly into Washington DC monday, moving there, and plan on setting up a little kitchen. Hurricane is supposed to hit Delaware/Washington/New York tomorrow so I might be here a few more days in CA.

Btw, first thing I thought when I saw Metroid Killer's cake was a METROID.

pistachiocake1.jpg

Zyzyxxz

How are ox tails? Thinking of braising some. Any decent braised ox tails recipes?

OMG oxtail is one of the best cuts of beef! So freaking good if done right and it's not hard to do it right all you need is time/pressure cooker. They have so much gelatin that it helps to thicken the sauce you braise it in. If you use a pressure cooker you can cook it until it literally just falls off the bone and then pick them out and you have a wonderful sauce of shredded beef but it's going to be the richest shredded beef you ever had.

Last week made some matsutake mushrooms with monkfish over quinoa, roasted scallions, and shaved brussel sprouts.
8130513612_3fba86a89e_z.jpg

Also was portioning out some beef and cut into a short rib for braising that had such nice marbling I had to take a picture of it.
8130513338_5674c6aa7e_z.jpg

Also did a 5 course dinner for 12 people and didn't get much of a chance to take pictures but someone got one of me plating our first course which was a scallop carpaccio with a white soy vinagrette, katsuo shavings, chives, and umeboshi paste.
8130513444_f11f842256.jpg

Disappointed I didn't get more pics because I made a desert which is not typical of me.

Corto

I also made a dessert today. My in-laws were visiting us so I tried to treat them right with some sweetness after lunch.

The small cake it's a traditional portuguese cake called Caspiada. I then made a simple Porto wine sauce/reduction with cinnamon dust and a dash of butter with some roasted pine nuts on top.

My father in law wanted me to make a cup of the sauce so he could drink it alone. But the cake was nice too. hehehe

CRS

So a group at my Uni here are having a pot luck cook-off between the guys and girls for Thanksgiving and thought I'd ask anyone here for any awesome recipes. (Really want to be the winners.) It can be anything from the turkey, to the stuffing, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Zyzyxxz, that short rib looks like a person from the waist down.

CRS

So a group at my Uni here are having a pot luck cook-off between the guys and girls for Thanksgiving and thought I'd ask anyone here for any awesome recipes. (Really want to be the winners.) It can be anything from the turkey, to the stuffing, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Zyzyxxz, that short rib looks like a person from the waist down.

Repost, since I got stuck at the bottom of the page.

I guess I'll post some decent BBQ. It got really windy and it was my first time BBQing with charcoal in a long time so it didn't come out as great as I wanted to. I guess BBQing all the time in a giant BBQ pit has spoiled me.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I don't really have any experience making tartare and my sous-chef thought it was really good so I'm happy. :D

tatare is easy made, here's a sample:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8710136&postcount=1310
with fish and seafood instead of beef, you should experiment a bit with how fine you'll chop it. "Korean Tatare" aka Yukhoe is served in thin strips instead of chopping the beef and derved with apple strips and sesame, also utterly delicious.

Collete

Paris cookies

:)

Those look good as usual!
Must have been a pain to cut them out and put them on the cookie sheet, heh.

I also made a dessert today. My in-laws were visiting us so I tried to treat them right with some sweetness after lunch.

The small cake it's a traditional portuguese cake called Caspiada. I then made a simple Porto wine sauce/reduction with cinnamon dust and a dash of butter with some roasted pine nuts on top.

My father in law wanted me to make a cup of the sauce so he could drink it alone. But the cake was nice too. hehehe

Is it all right if I get your recipe for Caspiada?
Trying to learn a bit more about Portuguese cooking/baking.

All right, this week I made some Tom Yum soup:

ZGfjp.jpg

y2RtK.jpg

It came out good, the addition of the shiitake mushrooms gave it a little earthy and chewy texture to the mushroom and soup.
Only problem is I added a little more chili than I should have.
Next time I'll add more lemon grass and up the rest of the flavoring just a tad.
Good soup for cold days though, and nutritious!

Also thanks Auron_Kale introducing me to a plethora of desert recipes, I made Cookies and Cream Cookies!:

k42oH.jpg

G4YT9.jpg

These were stellar and nice and crisp as well!
First time I could actually get a cookie recipe that actually stays crunchy!
Thanks a ton Auron :)
(I'm going to get fat now... >_<)

CrankyJay

Banned
OMG oxtail is one of the best cuts of beef! So freaking good if done right and it's not hard to do it right all you need is time/pressure cooker. They have so much gelatin that it helps to thicken the sauce you braise it in. If you use a pressure cooker you can cook it until it literally just falls off the bone and then pick them out and you have a wonderful sauce of shredded beef but it's going to be the richest shredded beef you ever had.

Hell yes, gonna experiment then. Thanks.

y2RtK.jpg

It came out good, the addition of the shiitake mushrooms gave it a little earthy and chewy texture to the mushroom and soup.
Only problem is I added a little more chili than I should have.

Looks good and warming! Too spicy? I love the spicy + sour combination of tom yum soup. Maybe next time take the seeds out of the chili if you don't want it too spicy but still want the flavor of the peppers. If you used Thai chilis it's easy to accidentally put too much in, I've been there hahaha.

Collete

Looks good and warming! Too spicy? I love the spicy + sour combination of tom yum soup. Maybe next time take the seeds out of the chili if you don't want it too spicy but still want the flavor of the peppers. If you used Thai chilis it's easy to accidentally put too much in, I've been there hahaha.

Thanks!
I did take it out though, I think it was because I added two whole chili peppers and a few seeds might have plopped in.
It was nice though cause now I can breathe through my nose finally!

Yeah it was Thai chilis!
I didn't think it would be that different than normal chilis.
Thought they were all the same but I guess not; lesson learned, heh.

Also thanks Auron_Kale introducing me to a plethora of desert recipes, I made Cookies and Cream Cookies!:

k42oH.jpg

G4YT9.jpg

These were stellar and nice and crisp as well!
First time I could actually get a cookie recipe that actually stays crunchy!
Thanks a ton Auron :)
(I'm going to get fat now... >_<)

Lol no problem and glad you enjoyed the cookies! I loved that they're not overly sweet, which is really surprising considering what's in it.

And well, if you're like me and my other friend, we usually make enough to share with family/friends/coworkers. Despite the sweets, I've been able to manage 'the fat' as I usually eat a few and then work off the rest :p

Collete

Lol no problem and glad you enjoyed the cookies! I loved that they're not overly sweet, which is really surprising considering what's in it.

And well, if you're like me and my other friend, we usually make enough to share with family/friends/coworkers. Despite the sweets, I've been able to manage 'the fat' as I usually eat a few and then work off the rest :p

I really didn't expect for the Oreos to stay crunchy after baking :eek:
I was thinking in my head the moisture from somewhere will make it all soggy.
I'm giving away most of them to a friend actually, but there's still a lot leftover that me and my family (mostly me...ha.) have to devour.

It's just hard to work out in frigid temperatures as of late, I'll have to manage somehow...Oh the horror! [/dramatic]

3 Variations on Chocolate Balls:

Chocolate Truffles, Chocolate Rumballs and Eggs

Chocolate overload in the kitchen today! Here's the motherload!

chocoballs1.jpg

Variation 1: Chocolate Truffles

Made from 80% Dark chocolate and cream and coated with the most goddamn expensive cocao powder I could find ;_;

chocoballs2.jpg

chocoballs3.jpg

Variation 2: Chocolate Rumballs

Baked a plain chocolate cake, added some rum, raspberry jam and coffee and coated in various sprinkles.

chocoballs4.jpg

chocoballs5.jpg

Variation 3: Eggs?

chocoballs6.jpg

Harvested from our local chocolate hen, these Brownie Eggs tasted delicious.

chocoballs7.jpg

chocoballs8.jpg

chocoballs9.jpg

Oh and why not some Brownie Butterflies from the excessive batter.

chocoballs9_1.jpg

PHEW! Made all these things at the same time, while making dinner which consisted of cutting veggies for wok and marinating schimps etc. Don't come and say that men can't multitask! Now off to bed because I'm exhausted, and full of chocolate!

Collete

3 Variations on Chocolate Balls:

Chocolate Truffles, Chocolate Rumballs and Eggs

PHEW! Made all these things at the same time, while making dinner which consisted of cutting veggies for wok and marinating schimps etc. Don't come and say that men can't multitask! Now off to bed because I'm exhausted, and full of chocolate!

The eggs just blew my mind.
Also, I feel like I just gained so much weight just by looking at these delicious treats.
Nice job, you deserve the sleep!

...I'm a girl and I can't multitask if my life depended on it. :(
Oh, how I'm envious of your bakery skills and techniques.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I know you can use a needle to poke a hole in either end of the shell, and use the needle to puncture the yolk, then blow the contents out of the shell. Maybe that's how.
yup, easter eggs are emptied like this. question is how to get the thicker batter into the empty shells.

Collete

By the way, I noticed after I made the Tom Yum soup my hands smelled like vomit, but I'm not sure why.
I got my hands cleaned but it still smells off.
Is it because I handled lemon grass, I'm not exactly sure?

Corto

Metroid, now you're just showing-off hehehehe That work is awesome and that you made it WHILE you made family dinner is just wowwowowowow. ;) You're an inspiration. Really.

Is it all right if I get your recipe for Caspiada?
Trying to learn a bit more about Portuguese cooking/baking.

Sure! Sorry for answering only now the gaming side has a hot topic running for a few days now and I was trying to keep up with it in the last day. So the recipe, here it goes:

Caspiada

Ingredients for 12-14 biscuits:

350 gr brown sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon powder
1 lemon zest
150 gr olive oil
300 gr water
20 gr baker's yeast or baking powder
500 gr all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

*I added some personal touches to the recipe as I had chopped almonds and vanilla extract at hand. So I added:

1/2 cup of chopped almonds
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

You first mix the flower, salt, yeast. Then pour the water and make almost a bread dough. Traditionally this recipe was made with bread dough left overs. Then mix all the other dry ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, almonds if you have them) in a separate bowl and alternately and slowly incorporate those and the olive oil to the dough until you have a nice smooth and shinny batter. Add at this stage the vanilla extract also.

Now, to bake it the traditional way you should bake the batter for 20-25 minutes at 180º C with cabbage leaves serving as a mold/form. I used a silicone mold I have as I was afraid to burn the cabbage and wimped out. ;)

...I'm a girl and I can't multitask if my life depended on it. :(
Oh, how I'm envious of your bakery skills and techniques.

Hey now, I'm a girl and I take offense on the belief that we can't multitask! I'm awesome at multitasking. I'm pretty bad at baking though, but not because of lack of multitasking. I just hate measuring stuff out and being all exact when I'm cooking.

Which is ironic since I have to be pretty exact and technical at my dayjob hahaha.

Collete

Hey now, I'm a girl and I take offense on the belief that we can't multitask! I'm awesome at multitasking. I'm pretty bad at baking though, but not because of lack of multitasking. I just hate measuring stuff out and being all exact when I'm cooking.

Which is ironic since I have to be pretty exact and technical at my dayjob hahaha.

I didn't say every girl can't multitask!
Just I can't D:
Still I don't know how you do it, I just can't focus my mind on multiple things...

Well if it's any condolences, you look like you're amazing cook with everything you cook.
Seriously, if only my food is that good, I would actually like my own cooking.
Baking can be an annoyance, I agree. Sometimes it's like a science, if you get one ingredient wrong, you screw up the whole thing.
Still I do love baking so I put more effort in baking rather than cooking I suppose.

Sure! Sorry for answering only now the gaming side has a hot topic running for a few days now and I was trying to keep up with it in the last day. So the recipe, here it goes:

Caspiada

Ingredients for 12-14 biscuits:

350 gr brown sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon powder
1 lemon zest
150 gr olive oil
300 gr water
20 gr baker's yeast or baking powder
500 gr all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

*I added some personal touches to the recipe as I had chopped almonds and vanilla extract at hand. So I added:

1/2 cup of chopped almonds
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

You first mix the flower, salt, yeast. Then pour the water and make almost a bread dough. Traditionally this recipe was made with bread dough left overs. Then mix all the other dry ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, almonds if you have them) in a separate bowl and alternately and slowly incorporate those and the olive oil to the dough until you have a nice smooth and shinny batter. Add at this stage the vanilla extract also.

Now, to bake it the traditional way you should bake the batter for 20-25 minutes at 180º C with cabbage leaves serving as a mold/form. I used a silicone mold I have as I was afraid to burn the cabbage and wimped out. ;)

A cabbage leaf?
That's something new, I might try that!
Hopefully I won't burn it.
Thanks Corto! I'll be sure to try it on Thanksgiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom