• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get the batter inside the eggs?
I used a plastic bag as piping bag. Cut a very small hole at the tip. I emptied the eggs by poking a smallish hole at the bottom of each egg. Then fill them 3/4 full using the piping bag.

The question is how he then bakes them.

Could you perhaps even boil the eggs?
20 mins in the oven. I used aluminium foil to help the eggs stand upright in the form. I guess I filled the eggs a bit too much as some of them had shot a sloppy stream of brownie batter out of the holes XD

I tried googling "brownie egg" and found the following website: http://www.larecetadelafelicidad.com/en/2012/05/brownie-eggshell.html

Perhaps this answers the questions as to how it is done. Seems somewhat straightforward based on the recipe's description :)
Yup used a recipe much alike this one. It's very easy. Thanks for the comments :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Boneless chicken wings (breast tenders):

Ran out of Panko so I used french fried onions.
ibbMV8KrlcFfAz.jpg

Doused in Hooters 3 Mile Island. One of my favorite sauces ever.
ibkViMD5qqkbpA.jpg

And plated with waffle cut fries with a bit of cheese.
iI2F4UW3Ckq0h.jpg

Zyzyxxz

LOL yes, even though it's the "portable" version, the unit alone weights 50 lbs and is kinda big so difficult to balance it by oneself.

Collete

So much stuff I can save with that...
Hope you have fun with it!
But it looks pretty beat up, is it an international item?

Yes Boss!

So excited to put my new toy through it's paces.

8137799694_6cfbd76f3b_c.jpg

My brother got the bigger version of that...TOTALLY FUN. Mind-blowing, in fact. So heavy they had to freight it in. Totally useful day-to-day. We made some fresh ricotta, used some, then just sealed the rest. Amazing for fast pickles, too. Reckon you got sous-vide in mind for it.

Is there a way to cook frozen hamburger patties on a stove? Pan or broiler?

Any help is appreciated

We cook frozen veggie patties on the stove all the time. A few teaspoons of oil, on medium heat, put the patty on, and flip after a few minutes. That doesn't work for you? I haven't seen much splattering, but maybe real meat splatters more because of the oil content? You could always halfway cover it so that the steam escapes, but it the oil doesn't splatter everywhere.

^-- You guys need to get some of those giant tweezers =)

I had another quickie lunch today. Pasta carbonara with anchovies and arugula:

It only took 15 minutes to make. I timed it b/c I only had 30 minutes to eat lunch before having to make a meeting.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
^-- You guys need to get some of those giant tweezers =)

I had another quickie lunch today. Pasta carbonara with anchovies and arugula:

It only took 15 minutes to make. I timed it b/c I only had 30 minutes to eat lunch before having to make a meeting.
delicious!

Just marinated some turkey breast tenderloin in soy sauce and worcestershire sauce, then baked it. Tender, moist, and flavorful... so happy. It'll last me for a few days' worth of meals, and it'll also be relatively healthy.

Made a lazy version of raclette tonight:
smallCIMG3029.jpg

Oh my. Those are some of my favorite things. I never thought to combine them like that. Now I'm sad that I don't eat real bacon anymore!

I made a vegan pulled pork sandwich out of jackfruit tonight for dinner. It was pretty good! It always grosses me out when I make bbq sauce from scratch but I managed to finish eating my sandwich nonetheless.

thespot84

Tonight was hangar steak with assorted mushrooms in a red wine reduction along with caramelized french beans with garlic, shallots, and toasted almonds

Zyzyxxz

My brother got the bigger version of that...TOTALLY FUN. Mind-blowing, in fact. So heavy they had to freight it in. Totally useful day-to-day. We made some fresh ricotta, used some, then just sealed the rest. Amazing for fast pickles, too. Reckon you got sous-vide in mind for it.

Already have been doing sous vide, we got an immersion circulator at work but the stupid foodsaver was being a bitch with liquids (yes I know they arent meant for it) but we needed to finally take the plunge since we are serious about sous vide cooking at our place.

Oh my. Those are some of my favorite things. I never thought to combine them like that. Now I'm sad that I don't eat real bacon anymore!

I made a vegan pulled pork sandwich out of jackfruit tonight for dinner. It was pretty good! It always grosses me out when I make bbq sauce from scratch but I managed to finish eating my sandwich nonetheless.

That looks so amazing. I don't even care that it is meatless.

Milchjon

Why?

Also, what does that sandwich taste like?

Why?

Also, what does that sandwich taste like?

Making BBQ sauce grosses me out because of the amount stuff I put in it. Ketchup, molasses, vinegar, onion powder, paprika, etc. All in pretty large amounts. I would never eat that much of one ingredient in one sitting, but somehow it all goes together well in bbq sauce.

The sandwich tasted like a bbq pulled pork sandwich, but not as stringy and didn't get between my teeth as much. Tangy, sweet, and salty. I added some vegan mayonaise and pickles to the sandwich, which made it even better.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The wife went experimental today and turned this recipe for fried lentil balls with red cabbage salad
image-5.jpg

with this effort:
image-4.jpg

into this:
image-3.jpg

taste-wise, it was awful.

so we decided to visit the local greek takeout:
image.jpg

and had a Gyros Pita with fries instead:
image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

well.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
^^ haha

I made bangers and mash with peas and caramellized red onions. Which was about more than my kitchen could handle. I'll post a sloppy pic as soon as I can move again.

Edit: pic as promised

JJpxfl.jpg

My kitchen looked about like Onkel's, only compressed in a fifth of the space

thespot84

That steak looks like it was cooked to perfection. I love it when steak is still oozing a little juice.

Actually I got myself confused, it was bottom sirloin, or flap steak. Given how easily it cooked, the marbling, and that it was a bit more resistant to drying out than skirt or flank, I'm a huge fan of the cut. Not terribly expensive either.

I have no idea what jackfruit even is, but I like the look of that!
I see you got a link to the recipe, so I'll give that a go if I can find some jackfruit at the local chinese supermarket.

with this effort:
image-4.jpg

into this:
Ouch. Can't help to feel deflated when so much work was 'wasted' (I guess you always learn something from the experience).

Anyway talking about deflation... Here's what I baked yesterday and finalized this evening:

Angel Food Cake with Dark Chocolate Cream and Raspberry jelly surprise

anglefoodcake1.jpg

anglefoodcake2.jpg

anglefoodcake3.jpg

anglefoodcake4.jpg

First time baking an angel food cake. I made the mistake of not whisking the eggwhites until stiff peaks(the recipe did state medium peaks though), so as soon as I took the cake out of the oven it deflated rather brutally. Oh well it was still doable. Then when it came to pour the still liquid raspberry jelly into the carved cake, the jelly was too moist which fused slightly with the cake. Oh well next time I will make it perfect! The taste was heavenly though, had no idea that angel cake would taste this good, and the choco rasp combo was insane.

Pan-frying falafel is really hard, too, which that dish looks somewhat similar to. The moisture content of the balls are super important to get correct if you don't have a deep fryer, so much so that we just don't really bother anymore, and save it for an eating-out treat.

We had a pretty sizable late harvest of carrots so it's been lots of those lately. Sliced up on the mandoline and then tossed with a little olive oil, lemon juice, and mint. Also pulled up a bunch of leeks, some beets, and a few onions that had escaped the earlier harvest. Did I ever put up pictures of us making jelly from our Concord grape vines? The smell on those grapes is *intense*, just amazingly strong.

Our poor man's straining setup:
jelly-1.jpg

Close-up:
jelly-2.jpg

I'll see if I can take one of the set jelly, but it looks like... well... jelly in a mason jar :). Kids like it on their PBJs...

Really nice looking cake Metroid Killer---one of these days I'll have to try to eat an Angel Food cake!

Though finding one on par with the excellent chocolate icing job will be another matter entirely...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
8147125133_bfd3df1b3d_c.jpg

My friends and me, w'ere calling this El Bueno Excellente in honor of a certain meme.

Tomatos, rucola, patty, refried beans, homemade guacemole, jalapeno peppers. Patty flavoured with some red onions, tomato paste, worchestershire sauce and soy sauce.

^-- That looks so good. I love the rustic shape of the patty. Is that orange stuff on top guac? Why isn't it green?

I love having big brunch-like breakfasts on the weekends and wanted something like that for today. Enter the prep-bowl meal. Arugula with just-made Caesar dressing, a fried egg, tempeh bacon, and a green onion pancake. I think I'm ready to tackle Friday!

Whenever someone posts a beautiful cake, it should be mandatory for them to also post the recipe. :)
Sorry for the late reply. Has been a busy week and pretty much only time for cake when I'm home :p

2 layered Red Velvet Cake with Buttercream

Ingredients:
Cake
120 g butter
300 g sugar
3 large eggs
300 g flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ litre buttermilk
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
6 teaspoons red food color (the amount various a lot depending on the product) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Buttercream
250 g butter
¼ litre milk
220 g sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
40 g flour

Method:
Cake
Whisk butter and sugar until pale. Add one egg at a time and whisk (Bowl 1)
Mix flour, baking soda and cocoa powder in new bowl (2)
Mix buttermilk, vinegar, color and vanilla in new bowl (3)

Add ¼ of the content of bowl 2 in bowl 1 and mix until smooth. Then add 1/3 of bowl 3 and mix until smooth. Then ¼ of bowl 2, etc. etc.

Spread batter in two greased 8" forms. And bake at 180C for 20 mins or until tooth pick comes out clean.

Buttercream
Mix milk and flour in a small saucepan and heat on medium. Whisk until it turns thick. Cool in fridge for 45 mins.
In a bowl whisk butter, sugar and vanilla for at least 3 min. Add the cooled milk batter and whisk for an additionally 5 mins or more, until the consistency is reaching stiff peaks.

Decorate cake :)

Milchjon

I just bought some Worcester sauce today, which I had never tried before. Put it in burger patties, which worked rather well.

The taste of it also makes me wonder: there wouldn't be any cocktail recipes using it, right?

Milchjon

Hmm, most of those sound horrible to me because I don't like tomato juice. Also, is clamato juice what it sounds like? Who comes up with this shit?

Another thing, what's the standard cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich? I just made one for the first time (they're not really a thing in Germany) using something akin to Kraft singles, but thought it was wayyyyy too salty...

Silkworm

Hmm, most of those sound horrible to me because I don't like tomato juice. Also, is clamato juice what it sounds like? Who comes up with this shit?

Another thing, what's the standard cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich? I just made one for the first time (they're not really a thing in Germany) using something akin to Kraft singles, but thought it was wayyyyy too salty...

Well I just googled for cocktails that use Worcester sauce and the link was the first hit I came upon. So I'm sure there may be other cocktail recipes that use Worcester sauce that might better suit your taste preference. Or you could make your own concoction :)

And yes Clamato is clam broth and tomato juice and doesn't taste that bad IMHO (my sister loves the stuff). Of course if you are already averse to tomato juice I doubt adding clam juice to it will change your opinion :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom