• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

the classic here in the states is lots of butter and 'american' cheese, which is honestly a travesty when it comes to legit cheese but those sandwiches are delicious. especially when dipped in tomato soup.

For something different, grill two generous slices of fresh mozzarella between bread of your choosing slathered in pesto.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Worchester sauce is also great as a condiment for Ragout Fin and chicken ragout (Hühnerfrikassee).

Made "Milchreis" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_pudding
for dinner yesterday:
image.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I probably could not handle that much foie gras.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
^-- That looks so good. I love the rustic shape of the patty. Is that orange stuff on top guac? Why isn't it green?

Yeah, the coloring of it is a bit off and it turned out less-green then usual because of the red peppers we blenden through it. Second time we got it to look better :)

8147160998_057e9eda1d.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My first tart tatin; baked in a gigantic cast iron skillet. This one had maple sage caramel, but I'd like to try doing a more savory version with a layer of pork belly, as was casually (and tantalizingly) mentioned in Bon Apetit recently.

tumblr_mcvik8V3pO1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've been making this "scrambled" egg dish since last week, so good! Not real scrambled eggs (the fluffy kind with butter) in the sense that it's only scrambled because I mash it all up together in the pan.

1- Half white onion, chopped, cooked in pan with olive oil, until soft and golden
2- Add a handful of chopped up spinash and some chopped rosemary
3- Beat three eggs, chop some feta cheese and black olives
4- Add eggs, wait a bit
5- Add feta and olives.
6- Beat it all up with a wooden spoon into a mishmash.

No need to add salt, the feta and olives have enough. So good, and just my kind of recipe (lazy).

Been a bad weekend, but this picked things up a fair bit:

PtUko.jpg

Crumble: Wai Lana Pizza Cassava Chips Hard to go wrong with Cassava chips that taste a fair bit like a solid pizza sauce.

Cheese: Doux de Montagne Creamy French Mountain Cheese Very much as advertised, not oily at all, very smooth taste and great melt, perhaps a bit of a hint of wine to it---had kind of a strange reddish rind/wax outer casting to it. Nothing extreme in the taste or smell, but probably among the top heap when it comes to the straightforward ones out there.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Onkel, I friggin love 'Rode Kool' :). My dad usually also adds some raisins to sweeten it up a little - I wonder if it's a Dutch thing or if that's done in Germany too?

dyonPT

^^ haha

I made bangers and mash with peas and caramellized red onions. Which was about more than my kitchen could handle. I'll post a sloppy pic as soon as I can move again.

Edit: pic as promised

JJpxfl.jpg

My kitchen looked about like Onkel's, only compressed in a fifth of the space

Lol...mine looks even worse after making a cake :D

And a nice Apple Tart Tatin for dessert

I love Apple Tart Tatin !

8147125133_bfd3df1b3d_c.jpg

My friends and me, w'ere calling this El Bueno Excellente in honor of a certain meme.

Si muito bueno Excellente!! :D

Trio de foie gras

019_resizeo5p9t.jpg

I love Foie Gras!

My first tart tatin; baked in a gigantic cast iron skillet. This one had maple sage caramel, but I'd like to try doing a more savory version with a layer of pork belly, as was casually (and tantalizingly) mentioned in Bon Apetit recently.

tumblr_mcvik8V3pO1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

Looks deliciouss!

Rotkohl, Bratwurst and mashed potatoes:

image-5.jpg

Dat Bratwurst ...So good!

Cupcakes
3 Vanilla Variations: Plain, Strawberry(with strawberry frosting), Black Current(with black current frosting)
3 Chocolate Variations: Plain, 80% Chocolate Chip, Toms Chocolate Turtles

cupcakes1.jpg

cupcakes2.jpg

cupcakes3.jpg

cupcakes4.jpg

cupcakes5.jpg

cupcakes6.jpg

Came out pretty much perfect. Was very curious how the berries and turtle karamel infused cupcakes would turn out, but they were all really great. I especially liked the Strawberry one, nice soft flavour and texture. I also got to practice my piping technique which is rather rusty.

Om nom nom!

Pizza!

Note to self: anchovies and bacon are a little overkill

What? Sounds like a great combination to me! I love anchovies AND bacon. I would think the saltiness of the anchovies would cutdown on the richness of the bacon, no?

I think autumn is quickly becoming my favorite season. Or maybe I say that about every coming season. Either way, I'm loving squash season!

Spaghetti with cilantro, arugula and lime. Roasted curry cauliflower tossed with cilantro and lime. Delicata squash with nothing but olive oil and salt.

Ouch. Can't help to feel deflated when so much work was 'wasted' (I guess you always learn something from the experience).

Anyway talking about deflation... Here's what I baked yesterday and finalized this evening:

Angel Food Cake with Dark Chocolate Cream and Raspberry jelly surprise

anglefoodcake1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/anglefoodcake2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/anglefoodcake3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/anglefoodcake4.jpg

First time baking an angel food cake. I made the mistake of not whisking the eggwhites until stiff peaks(the recipe did state medium peaks though), so as soon as I took the cake out of the oven it deflated rather brutally. Oh well it was still doable. Then when it came to pour the still liquid raspberry jelly into the carved cake, the jelly was too moist which fused slightly with the cake. Oh well next time I will make it perfect! The taste was heavenly though, had no idea that angel cake would taste this good, and the choco rasp combo was insane.

Could you provide the recipe for this awesome cake? I want to impress the missus with it :) Thank you in advance!

Could you provide the recipe for this awesome cake? I want to impress the missus with it :) Thank you in advance!
Sure

I used this recipe from Alton Brown for the Angel Food Cake. And while I'm sure I might have made a few mistakes(didn't beat eggwhite batter enough, filled too much batter in form), it came out decent enough. I would like to test another recipe next time though.

Raspberry Jelly

Ingredients:
300 g. raspberry (fresh is optimal, frozen is also an option)
3 dl water
Juice from half a lemon
3 tablespoon of Sugar
4 sheets og gelatin​

Method:
Soak gelatin sheets in cold water while you heat up the raspberries, lemonjuice and water in small sauce pan for 10-15 minutes.

Pour the content of the sauce pan in a sift and press as much raspjuice out as you can.Hæld bær i si og pres saften ud af dem. Discard the berries. The raspjuice should still be fairly warm(if not you need to heat it up slightly). Add sugar to taste. Pick up the gelatin sheets and wrap water out, melt them in the raspjuice while stirring. Cool for around 30 minutes.​

Composition:
Once the jelly is at the right temp(the liquid should somewhat stick to your finger, if it's already set in you can always just dissolve the jelly by heating it up and then cool off once more), take the cooled Angel Food Cake and place it as you would present the cake(the bottom part in the tube form is now top...). With a serrated knife cut 1-inch layer from top of cake in one piece and put aside. Now cut two lines each 1 inch away from the outer wall(see picture). Then use a fork to remove cake in the cavity. Now with a funnel or spoon place the jelly in the cavity. Place the top layer back on a cool while making the chocolate frosting.
Note: There should be plenty of jelly leftover.​
angfoocak.png

Chocolate Mousse

Ingredients:
200 g of dark chocolate
3½ dl whipping cream
3 tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoon of Sugar​

Method:
Mix butter and chocolate and melt over hot water bath. Whip cream and sugar until medium peaks. Fold in the melted chocolate.​

Composition:
Spread over cake. Cool for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.​

Baked some bread buns from an old family recipe which my late grandma is famous for. I also bought a new piping nozzle and of course I had to try it out with some of the excessive chocolate frosting from the cupcakes.

grandmabuns1.jpg

grandmabuns2.jpg

Another quick lunch today.

Fried egg on top of wild rice and butternut squash "pilaf". My husband made the pilaf last night for dinner.

The recipe for the pilaf is here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...Butternut-Squash-and-Dried-Cranberries-107275

We used dried currants instead of craisins because I don't like craisins. The dish is a pretty good vegetarian main dish. I didn't know this before, but wild rice has a lot of protein!

[edit]
I went to a friend's house for dinner and we had hot pot. So maybe I didn't technically cook everything from scratch here, but I cooked some of the meat table-side, so that counts right?

The beef was so good and just the right amount of fatty. Despite trying to eat pescatarian lately, oh man that beef was so good.

Corto

A nod to south american GAFfers with an arepa, tomato salad with olives and a nice steak filleted with mushrooms and porto sauce. I found here the masa flour and I had to try the Arepa recipe. I was planning on doing it like a sandwich. opening it and filling with the meat and salad, but the arepa didn't rise like I was expecting. Next time I need to shape it thicker than this.

Another quick lunch today.

Fried egg on top of wild rice and butternut squash "pilaf". My husband made the pilaf last night for dinner.

The recipe for the pilaf is here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...Butternut-Squash-and-Dried-Cranberries-107275

We used dried currants instead of craisins because I don't like craisins. The dish is a pretty good vegetarian main dish. I didn't know this before, but wild rice has a lot of protein!

[edit]
I went to a friend's house for dinner and we had hot pot. So maybe I didn't technically cook everything from scratch here, but I cooked some of the meat table-side, so that counts right?

The beef was so good and just the right amount of fatty. Despite trying to eat pescatarian lately, oh man that beef was so good.

i want to eat that hot pot =(, i love hot pot with the special mala sauce for the meat. Then you make watercress soup with the left over soup with noodles.

Milchjon

Afternoon delight at a new burger chain:
image.jpg

That looks pretty nice, what's the name of the chain?

Also, last week I went to eat a burger at Jim Block. It was packed in there, and like 80% of the people used fork and knife to eat their burger. I died a little inside.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Made some cupcakes to bring into the office today - "Death by OREO" cupcakes with chopped OREOs in chocolate mix, "surprise" OREO in the base, crushed OREO in cream cheese frosting, and a mini OREO garnish.

Used my own cupcake mix recipe but otherwise followed the instructions here.

Bought some Mango chutney cheap the other day and stumbled upon this recipe online:

Chicken Curry With Mango Chutney - link
chickcurry1.jpg

chickcurry2.jpg

Holy shit this is godly, so easy to make but wow what an explosion of umami in your mouth. I just happened to have gingerroot, chicken stock and heavy cream and what a taste they created. I also added carrots, spring onion and sliced pineapples to meal. I highly recommend you to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom