• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

Instead of putting the peppermint extract in the cookies how about making a peppermint filling instead?

(not mine)
Chocolate_Mint_Cookies-3.jpg

For the filling I use a recipe which I call Fluffy White Frosting
You heat some sugar(200g) and water(80ml) in a pan until the sugar has dissolved and it starts boiling. Then you whip 2 eggwhites and a teaspoon of pepperment extract until stiff peaks. Pour the sugar syrup into the stiff eggwhites and whip for 10 mins until thick and glossy. (optional: add green food color). Best served the same day if added between cookies, or keep cooled and rewhip next day.

Ah! I might do something like that. I'm making them for a little class get together so I'd probably make them pretty small (30 students x2 regular sized cookies each confection lol...no thanks haha) but yes! Those look delicious.

Thank you for the suggestion :)

Zyzyxxz

Some new work photos to share:

beef heart skewers (not on menu, just made them for fun since beef heart is cheap as heck)

Dusted with porcini salt and pepper, seared, topped with a dab of yuzu kosho.
8228451639_bf152dd56a_c.jpg

We also started a food stand at a local farmer's market serving chicken satay and other Thai specialties.
8228451275_7a240e03d0_c.jpg

8228451563_04ed6b9310_c.jpg

8229518556_5c688927f7_c.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Baking for work tomorrow.

White chocolate and blueberry cookies.

Movember muffins - dark chocolate chunk chocolate muffins with pink butter cream frosting topped with pink icing covered Griffins Toffee Pop chocolate caramel biscuit detailed in black decorating gel

Movember muffins - dark chocolate chunk chocolate muffins with pink butter cream frosting topped with pink icing covered Griffins Toffee Pop chocolate caramel biscuit detailed in black decorating gel

Aw, cute muffins! I like the one with the mustache as his hair.

Some new work photos to share:

beef heart skewers (not on menu, just made them for fun since beef heart is cheap as heck)

Dusted with porcini salt and pepper, seared, topped with a dab of yuzu kosho.
8228451639_bf152dd56a_c.jpg

What does beef heart taste like? I've probably had it before in stuff like sausage, but not on its own. Is it like liver, or more like chicken gizzard? I like the idea of yuzu kosho on top, since it probably cuts down on the richness of the meat + porcini combo.

Zyzyxxz

What does beef heart taste like? I've probably had it before in stuff like sausage, but not on its own. Is it like liver, or more like chicken gizzard? I like the idea of yuzu kosho on top, since it probably cuts down on the richness of the meat + porcini combo.

Tastes like beef, it's a muscle so it's technically just another meat cut of the cow. Very intense beef flavor though, almost gamey in a way.

Collete

I haven't been feeling great to contribute to this thread as of late.
But decided to post some okayu (rice porridge) I made for lunch:

bosbk.jpg

mvPws.jpg

Can't get any more simpler than that for a nice hot meal.
Always the comfort that brings some life back into me, heh.

Yule porridge (risengrød/scandinavian rice pudding)

Traditional scandinavian meal during christmas. The rice is cooked in milk, and typically served with red squash or a sweet beer. The pudding is topped with a knob of butter and cinnamonsugar. First time this season which is always the best one. When you get closer to christmas eve you get sick of just the thought of risengrød.

Any chance I can get the recipe for that?
Now that I've been cooking rice porridge, might as well go for this as well!

hitsugi

Tojiro knives have a pretty good reputation and come at a really nice price. I got a 240 mm gyuto years ago and I've loved it.

Some tragic stuff suddenly assailed my usual source for birthday cakes back on Wednesday afternoon, so rather than be an idiot about it and force the custom cake issue/their time, I told them just to let it be this year so they can focus on their family. I will have that particular cake with them another day, down the line however long.

As such, I elected to pivot to the only quality local bakery and have them take a crack at something awesome they'd done in cupcake form some months back...

Behold...The Chocolate Guinness Cake!

EJaRR.jpg

It is ludicrously awesome and much of it will not survive this night and folks to be frozen for me to painstakingly try to stretch out these next few months---but definitely pleased.

Come at me 28!

Silkworm

Some tragic stuff suddenly assailed my usual source for birthday cakes back on Wednesday afternoon, so rather than be an idiot about it and force the custom cake issue/their time, I told them just to let it be this year so they can focus on their family. I will have that particular cake with them another day, down the line however long.

As such, I elected to pivot to the only quality local bakery and have them take a crack at something awesome they'd done in cupcake form some months back...

Behold...The Chocolate Guinness Cake!

EJaRR.jpg

It is ludicrously awesome and much of it will not survive this night and folks to be frozen for me to painstakingly try to stretch out these next few months---but definitely pleased.

Come at me 28!

Ah, I made something similar to this except the frosting was dark chocolate. I used King Arthur Flour's recipe for Chocolate Stout Cake (see recipe at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-stout-cake-recipe )

1288806268119.jpg

Was delicious but oh so rich. Luckily I was able to share it with my co-workers otherwise I think I would have gone into diabetic shock trying to eat it all myself :-D

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't been feeling great to contribute to this thread as of late.
But decided to post some okayu (rice porridge) I made for lunch:

bosbk.jpg

mvPws.jpg

Can't get any more simpler than that for a nice hot meal.
Always the comfort that brings some life back into me, heh.

Wait a sec...there's a porridge setting on my Zojirushi rice cooker...would it be to make this? I wonder what measurements I need to use.

Zyzyxxz

Wait a sec...there's a porridge setting on my Zojirushi rice cooker...would it be to make this? I wonder what measurements I need to use.

Don't even need to use the rice cooker (takes too long IMO). I just boil the shit out of my rice, sometimes I'll use old leftover rice and just hard boil it with water until it reaches the consistency I want.

TheExodu5

Banned
Made French Onion Soup tonight. First time I make it from scratch. Used sweet onions (that was a mistake...yellow onions next time), fresh thyme, fresh bay leaf, red wine, home made beef stock, french baguette, and gruyere cheese.

onion1.jpg

onion2.jpg

onion3.jpg

onion4.jpg

No new pizza tonight, just a rerun to take care of some mistakenly bought cheese we'd already had.

That said, I CAN go ahead and tell you that Tyrrell's Sea Salt & Cider Vinegar Potato Chips make for a nice crumble indeed.

Made French Onion Soup tonight. First time I make it from scratch. Used sweet onions (that was a mistake...yellow onions next time), fresh thyme, fresh bay leaf, red wine, home made beef stock, french baguette, and gruyere cheese.

Looks great! Just curious though...why were sweet onions a mistake?

Finally have some time to cook a bit again...

Quick salad of prosciutto, mozzarella, tomatoes, caperberries, arugula, lemon juice and olive oil
imag1758.jpg

First time making palak paneer - could have used more cream, less ginger
imag1787u.jpg

Any chance I can get the recipe for that?
Now that I've been cooking rice porridge, might as well go for this as well!
Sorry for the late reply have been rather busy as of late.

Make sure that the type of rice is short grain or another type used for making porridge.

Add (190g) rice to a pot of boiling water(2½dl). Stir for 2 minutes. Add one liter of Milk(with a fat content of at least 3½%). Bring to boil while stirring. Place a lid and turn down to low heat, and the porridge will be done after 30minutes or so. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid burning the bottom of the content.

Serve with how big a spoonful butter you and sprinkle with ground cinnamon mixed with sugar.

Marshmallow Cupcakes

marshmallowcake1.jpg

marshmallowcake2.jpg

Plain vanilla cupcakes hollowed out and injected with melted marshmallow, marshmallow frosting on top. Must have been the most infuriating shit I've ever dealt with in my kitchen... The melted marshmallow, which you can hardly see at the core, is impossible to work with. You melt the marshmallow over a hot water bath, but as soon as you spoon some of the mass out it obviously gets less warm, which then makes it so sticky that it fucks up any way to place it nice and smoothly in the hollowed cupcakes. Ended up throwing one cake in the sink since it was fubar! I usually never get this worked up over food... Also with the few cakes where I managed to fill them nicely with marhsmallow you can't really see when you slice it in two, nor can you taste it because the frosting is full of marshmallows anyway. Next time I'm not gonna melt any marshmallows...

sohois

Brownies with Chocolate Peanut coverage and After Eight

DSC00238.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zXdpM73RcoQ/ULp_6MBpVTI/AAAAAAAAJjs/Fa5f3A4VmJk/s800/DSC00193.jpg[img]
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1Ho4URPqgQ0/ULp_3SUt6yI/AAAAAAAAJjk/cqxARw3yZIc/s800/DSC00175.jpg[img]
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fJDM5DsIZH4/ULqAAVW2XiI/AAAAAAAAJkA/GJD1QvfYrlk/s800/DSC00313.jpg[img]
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-It8bcXD0aNw/ULqASD1pP6I/AAAAAAAAJk4/CSawy_u2EHM/s800/DSC00388.jpg[img]
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Mne_4rzztpg/ULqAKIg8flI/AAAAAAAAJkg/Noi92fZCujM/s800/DSC00334.jpg[img]
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZBHFdGOKFKs/ULqAb2IjOtI/AAAAAAAAJlU/IKdqHMI6bXE/s800/DSC00460.jpg[img]

:)[/QUOTE]

Those look great, but was the mixture of chocolate and peanut and mint not overwhelming? Seems like you'd only need two of those flavours, how were the brownies?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
This is on the stove now:

Pork shoulder that was in the fridge with a dry rub of Berbere spice-mix, salt, sugar and ancho chili flakes.

Browned it and then added water, pork bullion powder, coca cola and apple cider vinegar. Will braise it until the liquid has evaporated and then tear apart the meat and let it sit in the remaining fat and juices for a while.

Meanwhile a friend has this in the oven:

Lamb, pork shoulder, onions and potatoes with pieces of lard.

I'll bring my stuff over to him for dinner to make sandwiches with. I also pickled some jalapenos and thai chilis, and some red onions.

edit: fixed the pics. Did Imgur remove the option to add an l after the filename to get a large thumbnail?

CrankyJay

Banned

onion1.jpg

onion2.jpg

onion3.jpg

onion4.jpg

Looks good. I prefer my onions a lot darker though...the recipe I use calls for sauteeing them, then baking them in the oven for awhile (covered), then triple deglazing the pot to really get a darkness to them. I know they look burnt, but they're not. The onions got super concentrated in flavor.

Believe it or not, this is 3 pounds of onions cooked down!
XqZUQ.jpg

With thyme and bay leaf
ihKYp.jpg

Toasted some sliced baguette and put under the broiler with some gruyere.
2cpVP.jpg

It actually tasted better reheated the next day, I guess it gave the flavors more time to marry. I forgot what I deglazed with....was either brandy/cognac or dry white wine.

I like using dry sherry too.

Recipe please!

1 bunch of spinach (stems removed, rinsed)
2 cups of paneer
1 tbsp of roughly chopped ginger (I'm thinking I'll use less next time)
1 onion (diced)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
3/4 cup of tomatoes (diced)
2 tbsp of ghee/clarified butter or oil
1 tbsp garam masala (or more if you wish)
1/4 cup heavy cream (I may use more next time so it's not as thick)
salt to taste
*Most recipes also call for cilantro - I HATE cilantro so I omitted it from this recipe!
*I also left the chile peppers and cayenne out as my family cannot handle spicy food. Lame.

Brown all sides of the paneer. Throw the cubes into cold water and set aside.

Blanch the spinach in boiling water for about 20-30 seconds. Scoop into a blender and process until it is the right consistency.

Saute the onions, ginger, garlic and bit of salt over medium heat until the onions are translucent and browning. Blend and return to the pan. Add the spices and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are cooked through then add the spinach mixture. Heat through then add the paneer cubes. Cook for another five minutes then turn the heat down to a simmer and add the cream.

Nezumi

1 bunch of spinach (stems removed, rinsed)
2 cups of paneer
1 tbsp of roughly chopped ginger (I'm thinking I'll use less next time)
1 onion (diced)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
3/4 cup of tomatoes (diced)
2 tbsp of ghee/clarified butter or oil
1 tbsp garam masala (or more if you wish)
1/4 cup heavy cream (I may use more next time so it's not as thick)
salt to taste
*Most recipes also call for cilantro - I HATE cilantro so I omitted it from this recipe!
*I also left the chile peppers and cayenne out as my family cannot handle spicy food. Lame.

Brown all sides of the paneer. Throw the cubes into cold water and set aside.

Blanch the spinach in boiling water for about 20-30 seconds. Scoop into a blender and process until it is the right consistency.

Saute the onions, ginger, garlic and bit of salt over medium heat until the onions are translucent and browning. Blend and return to the pan. Add the spices and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are cooked through then add the spinach mixture. Heat through then add the paneer cubes. Cook for another five minutes then turn the heat down to a simmer and add the cream.

Thank you very much! Will try that soon.

SPEA

Pan seared sea bass over a pea purée with miso shittaki mushrooms.

lzllw.jpg

Beef pho with a bunch of goodies on top. Made the broth from beef bones and a few oxtails.

rk8Gs.jpg

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the market for a food processor. Looking for something easy to clean and not too expensive. Any recommendations?

thespot84

just a second for really cooking down those onions in the french onion soup. Also, I usually follow the joy of cooking recipe, which calls for bermuda onions, and I really like the result.

beat

Looks good. I prefer my onions a lot darker though...the recipe I use calls for sauteeing them, then baking them in the oven for awhile (covered), then triple deglazing the pot to really get a darkness to them. I know they look burnt, but they're not. The onions got super concentrated in flavor.

XqZUQ.jpg
Is that the Cook's Illustrated recipe? I really like making onions that way too. It's more work than I'd like for French onion soup, but it's also great just to make those caramelized onions and then freeze them in ice cube trays for uses like kimchi stew or corn (both from the Momofuku cookbook).

TheExodu5

Banned

XqZUQ.jpg

With thyme and bay leaf
ihKYp.jpg

Toasted some sliced baguette and put under the broiler with some gruyere.
2cpVP.jpg

It actually tasted better reheated the next day, I guess it gave the flavors more time to marry. I forgot what I deglazed with....was either brandy/cognac or dry white wine.

I like using dry sherry too.

Yeah I'm definitely going to be cooking them down a lot more next time. That really looks awesome. What do you mean by triple deglazing?

Wow those caramelized onions! I love them but I'm always too lazy to even have the forethought to make them. I really need to just buy a big bag of onions and make them one day so I can save them in the freezer or make french onion soup with it. It would have been perfect on a rainy day like today.

Wow those caramelized onions! I love them but I'm always too lazy to even have the forethought to make them. I really need to just buy a big bag of onions and make them one day so I can save them in the freezer or make french onion soup with it. It would have been perfect on a rainy day like today.

Good base for Japanese curry, too. I am also too lazy to bother most of the time :(.

Chef gaf help me out, I'm looking for a nice Pizza stone because my crust just doesn't come out very good with the crappy pans I'm using right now, any recommendations? I've been going through amazon but I have no idea what to look for.

beat

Chef gaf help me out, I'm looking for a nice Pizza stone because my crust just doesn't come out very good with the crappy pans I'm using right now, any recommendations? I've been going through amazon but I have no idea what to look for.
Maybe the Baking Steel? I don't have one of my own, so I can't recommend it firsthand, sorry.

Yeah I'm definitely going to be cooking them down a lot more next time. That really looks awesome. What do you mean by triple deglazing?
As I understand it, deglazing is letting the "fond" build up*, then dissolving it with liquid while over heat. So you let the onions cook down to the point where they get nicely brown and have developed a good bit of fond on the bottom of the pan/pot. Add water or alcohol -- the onions stay in the pot - then scrape with a wooden spoon or something to loosen the fond off the bottom of the pot. Cook it down until the liquid has evaporated and it creates another fond. Repeat one more time and you've triple-deglazed it.

These freeze pretty well, and a couple of tablespoons of these defrosted and mixed into all sorts of savory foods are delicious.

* for example, if you are cooking meat in a pan, once the meat is done, there'll probably be some delicious browned proteins stuck to the pan. This is "fond". It's soluble in water or alcohol (not fat though, don't try to deglaze with oil).

Zyzyxxz

Had an interesting Saturday to say the least.

Spent too much money on too little meat but it was worth it to try it once.
8239154065_1f8e8784ff_z.jpg

Hamachi loin for a ceviche I did for a banquet at the bar:
8239153391_c0bf3b40ec_z.jpg

Dragonfruit which was beautiful went into the ceviche as well, no finished pictures though sadly.
8239153669_0c92809042_z.jpg

8239153513_2cbec15928_z.jpg

Made bread and butter pickles as well:
8239153917_eda592a5ff_z.jpg

We used to have an old standard round pizza stone but at some point someone (maybe my wife, no idea) bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VLXMX6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The size is nice vs the circular stones, the surface cleans up well, doesn't absorb the oil like more porous stones.

We used to have an old standard round pizza stone but at some point someone (maybe my wife, no idea) bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VLXMX6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The size is nice vs the circular stones, the surface cleans up well, doesn't absorb the oil like more porous stones.

That's an awesome stone and I found this one from the same brand http://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-Flame-Pizza-Stone/dp/B003UI8B2S/ref=pd_sim_k_5 I think I'll try it out 50 bucks isn't much and has great reviews, thanks!

Collete

(Sorry for late reply, PC is busted and trying to replace it)
Maybe, but I use the stove top method, I dunno about the rice cooker way.

The ratio that is used (according to runnyrunny99's cooking video on okayu) is 1:6 (rice to water). Although I prefer the softest way so I do 1:10 ratio.
It's basically boil the rice, then lower the heat when boiled. Simmer for a long time till it gets the consistency you want.
Also take the foam off every now and then otherwise you'll get a weird after taste in the okayu.

Zyzyxxz

What did you put into the brine for the pickles? I love bread and butter pickles and these look great!

I based it off this recipe: http://curryandcomfort.blogspot.com/2012/11/spicy-garlicky-bread-and-butter-pickles.html

Changed a few things like using rice wine vinegar and korean chili powder (kochukaru) also used japanese cucumbers because they aren't as big and were better for a hors d'oeuvres application. Also I used a chamber vac sealer to compress the cucumbers a bit too but that was mostly to quick pickle it since I was making it mere hours before the private event at the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom