• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm late but...

Nice, if I got smoked salmon for breakfast perhaps my morning appetite would be a bite better :p

Here's what I spent most of friday evening and some of the early saturday on:

Joconde Double Mousse Cake

joconde1-1.jpg

joconde2-1.jpg

joconde3.jpg

joconde4.jpg

joconde5.jpg

joconde6.jpg

Was invited to a 60 years birthday party and they had heard about my new hobby and wanted me to make the dessert. So I composed a Joconde cake with my two favorite kinds of mousse.
The bottom cake layer is a white spongecake. Jonconde imprime as walls. Raspberry mousse. Layer of chocolate spongecake. Dark bitter chocolate mousse. Dark chocolate ganache. Sprinkled with freeze dried raspberry.
It turned out pretty much perfect. Even the joconde imprime alligned perfectly, which wasn't even intentional. Luck was defintely on my side witch is always nice.

The only downside is that I only got a tiny slice of the cake myself... and seeing the pictures again makes me crave for more cake badly.
This is amazing.

Zyzyxxz

Don'' know if you guys are into Instagram but if you want to see more pictures of my daily work and my cute doggy then follow me! http://instagram.com/spirithousebar/

I'd think it'd be cool to follow others and see what kind of stuff you guys are eating too!

My room mate brought back a bunch of fresh pheasant after thanksgiving, so it was time for some pheasant pot pie.

Turned out to be a great way to prepare pheasant. I just need to be more careful about how full I fill that cast iron next time.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah I'm definitely going to be cooking them down a lot more next time. That really looks awesome. What do you mean by triple deglazing?

http://www.food.com/recipe/french-onion-soup-the-cooks-illustrated-way-344164

Deglaze is like we discussed before...cook your stuff until you get a brown/dark brown crust on the bottom of the pot and then deglaze it with a liquid/alcohol and scrape off the bits from the bottom of the pot.

For this recipe they want you to do it 2-3 times.

Haven't made a molten lava cake yet, but it's defintely on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing corto.

No new stuff from me except that I saw some white quality chocolate on sale while shopping griceries, and picked some up for my growing collection of chocolate... This is all the chocolate I have in my kitchen currently:

shelf1.jpg

And while we are at it. Here's my shelf of food colors, aromas, oils, etc.

shelf2.jpg

Leeness

Marshmallow Cupcakes
Plain vanilla cupcakes hollowed out and injected with melted marshmallow, marshmallow frosting on top. Must have been the most infuriating shit I've ever dealt with in my kitchen... The melted marshmallow, which you can hardly see at the core, is impossible to work with. You melt the marshmallow over a hot water bath, but as soon as you spoon some of the mass out it obviously gets less warm, which then makes it so sticky that it fucks up any way to place it nice and smoothly in the hollowed cupcakes. Ended up throwing one cake in the sink since it was fubar! I usually never get this worked up over food... Also with the few cakes where I managed to fill them nicely with marhsmallow you can't really see when you slice it in two, nor can you taste it because the frosting is full of marshmallows anyway. Next time I'm not gonna melt any marshmallows...

Late but lol, yep, melted marshmallow is nightmarish. I've used a whole pot of it twice for fondant and just...lawd. Super glue. I wish I had pictures of my sister's hands (got her to start the kneading and I'd take over...two hours to get it unsticky...).

Adventures in marshmallow. If you work with it again, either dip your hands in butter (but then it will get wet again) or coat them in icing sugar.

CrankyJay

Banned
Nope, saving money for it, what does it say?

It's basically gas-pressure marinatring.

The technique can be used to speed any sort of marinating or brining.
Noren and Arnold have also used the method to speed alcohol infusion
in a whipping siphon. We have found that any gas works, including
compressed air. Carbon dioxide adds acidity and should not be used
with an alkaline marinade. Carbon dioxide also carbonates the meat, but the carbonation dissipates when the meat is
cooked or heated.

The Fizz-Giz kit works at 3.8 bar I 55 psi. In our experiments, we used
5.5 bar I 80 psi and found that the meat gained 2% of its weight in marinade
after 1 min, 4% after 3 min, 5 .5 % afte r 5 min, and 6.5% after 20 min.

This is the same basic concept using a Fizz-Giz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQRSJUFuwM

thespot84

Based on the user comments in that video I believe you can...as long as you can pressurize the bottle with gas/C02.

What PSI can you get with soda stream? Looks like the magic number is above 50.

looking for it now. Seems to be a huge modding community making paintball guns out of the metal canisters (>3000psi) but not much about the plastic bottles themselves.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I braised beef short ribs earlier this week. Really simple...onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Red wine and chicken stock (ran out of beef stock when making onion soup) was used for the broth. I sadly forgot to put in garlic. Regardless, this resulted in the tastiest gravy I've ever had. Short ribs produce such an incredible and intense beef flavor which was so well complemented by the red wine.

I really need to start trying these tougher cuts. They have some incredible flavor. Next up: oxtail.

CrankyJay

Banned
So I braised beef short ribs earlier this week. Really simple...onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Red wine and chicken stock (ran out of beef stock when making onion soup) was used for the broth. I sadly forgot to put in garlic. Regardless, this resulted in the tastiest gravy I've ever had. Short ribs produce such an incredible and intense beef flavor which was so well complemented by the red wine.

I really need to start trying these tougher cuts. They have some incredible flavor. Next up: oxtail.

Good job man. I started pairing oxtail with my beef ribs. The gelatin/collagen helps thicken up the sauce. The garlic helps I think, make sure not to leave that out next time! I'm not sure you're missing out too much by switching in chicken stock for the beef stock. You'll get great flavor either way, especially from the ribs.

thespot84

Heh, I just saw that myself.

Is the mouth of the canister big enough to fit any meat inside?

the soda stream bottle i have has a bigger mouth than a 2l bottle (probably the same size as a 3L). it's 1 3/8" or 3.493cm/

Someone ran a test with a kitchen scale (which I would do if I had any CO2) left and found ~4g of CO2 transferred for a typical session (3 'buzzes'). a little PV=nRT at 1050ml and 20C (which don't matter because they're constant) gives a pressure of 45.3psi. (I did the number of moles of gas/air @ 1 atm or 14.7psi and then added the moles of 4g CO2).

So, at 45psi, it will take longer than a minute, but should prove to force in a quick marinade when needed. When I get more CO2 i'll check it out.

EDIT: upon further reflection, i suppose you'd have to leave the meat bottle stuck on the sodastream machine during the duration of the marinade, as there's no way to cap it without letting all the gas out.

CrankyJay

Banned
the soda stream bottle i have has a bigger mouth than a 2l bottle (probably the same size as a 3L). it's 1 3/8" or 3.493cm/

Someone ran a test with a kitchen scale (which I would do if I had any CO2) left and found ~4g of CO2 transferred for a typical session (3 'buzzes'). a little PV=nRT at 1050ml and 20C (which don't matter because they're constant) gives a pressure of 45.3psi. (I did the number of moles of gas/air @ 1 atm or 14.7psi and then added the moles of 4g CO2).

So, at 45psi, it will take longer than a minute, but should prove to force in a quick marinade when needed. When I get more CO2 i'll check it out.

EDIT: upon further reflection, i suppose you'd have to leave the meat bottle stuck on the sodastream machine during the duration of the marinade, as there's no way to cap it without letting all the gas out.

Ah, that sucks. I think part of the process is tumbling it around.

TheExodu5

Banned
Good job man. I started pairing oxtail with my beef ribs. The gelatin/collagen helps thicken up the sauce. The garlic helps I think, make sure not to leave that out next time! I'm not sure you're missing out too much by switching in chicken stock for the beef stock. You'll get great flavor either way, especially from the ribs.

Yeah I'll definitely put in garlic this time. Oh, and I forgot I also had thyme and bay leaf. It's funny, over the past few weeks everything I've tried calls for thyme and bay leaf. I suppose I could do rosemary just as well.

And yeah, I really don't know how much of a difference the stalk would make. To be honest, I think I could have used water + salt and it would have been fine. The flavor from the short ribs was so concentrated after the braising that I felt I really didn't miss much from the addition of the stock.

TheExodu5

Banned
I was taking a look on YouTube for instructions on how to make beef stock. What's with all the people using oxtail and short ribs in their stock? That sounds incredibly expensive.

Is making it from scratch really worth the time/expense?

Zyzyxxz

I was taking a look on YouTube for instructions on how to make beef stock. What's with all the people using oxtail and short ribs in their stock? That sounds incredibly expensive.

Is making it from scratch really worth the time/expense?

Yes, store bought stuff just doesn't cut it but only worth it money wise if you can get cheap meaty beef bones.

Zyzyxxz

Barely avoided food coma at the Wicked Spoon.

A lot of great things. A few amazing things. A lot of things.

Been there twice, I dunno was never really impressed both times. Maybe I just went at bad times? Both times for lunch.

I plan to try the Bacchanal soon that looks amazing, all you can eat stone crab claws?

So made Chocolate Spicy cookies last night for work, dont have pictures though sadly.

But theyre basically chocolate cookies with cinnamon, chili powder, and cayenne pepper in them. They turned out really well, and just the right hint of spice to give it an interesting flavor.

Zyzyxxz

So over the last couple weeks I retooled the corn tempura I did to an elote inspired dish:

We start with our corn fritters
8250342451_6a608c1de7_c.jpg

top it with grilled shishito peppers and drizzle of charred scallion mayo
8251411606_33c4769ecc_c.jpg

Top it with grated cotjia cheese
8251411426_8ff45d0838_c.jpg

Finish with chili powder
8250341931_ff9667310a_c.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz, looks awesome!

Had a "classic" plate dish for dinner yesterday, Roastbeef cold cuts with fried potatoes and eggs:
smallP1000248.jpg

Collete

Wow so much good stuff posted here again! Nice job everyone!

I have a question for y'all: Anyone that makes hot and sour soup know which type of mushroom to add in? There's conflicting results saying shiitake, black, cloud etc should be used but I'm unsure which would actually be good.

Also I can't seem to find a good pho recipe, anyone willing to share a good one?

I'm moving to California in a month and realized that I won't have my mom's cooking at a driveable distance for a really long time so I've started trying to learn how to make all the filipino food that I love.

Last night I made Bistek (Filipino Beef Steak). My mom usually subs pork chop but beef is good too.

Here's the recipe

http://salu-salo.com/bistek-filipino-beef-steak/

I also fried some sliced potatoes to put on top.

Bad instagram photo...
537752_10151137275576883_1595968548_n.jpg

cryptic

Zyzyxxz, looks awesome!

Had a "classic" plate dish for dinner yesterday, Roastbeef cold cuts with fried potatoes and eggs:
smallP1000248.jpg

Wow did you just get those eggs from the store? I have to search all over for yolks with that deep an orange here in the states.

Wow so much good stuff posted here again! Nice job everyone!

I have a question for y'all: Anyone that makes hot and sour soup know which type of mushroom to add in? There's conflicting results saying shiitake, black, cloud etc should be used but I'm unsure which would actually be good.

Also I can't seem to find a good pho recipe, anyone willing to share a good one?

I would use both. Shiitake for the flavor and cloud (aka woodear) for texture. Slice the shiitake into 1/4 inch strips and the woodear into thinner strips. The woodear mushrooms don't have much taste, but they have a crisp texture, which contrasts with all the soft stuff in the soup.

Collete

I would use both. Shiitake for the flavor and cloud (aka woodear) for texture. Slice the shiitake into 1/4 inch strips and the woodear into thinner strips. The woodear mushrooms don't have much taste, but they have a crisp texture, which contrasts with all the soft stuff in the soup.

I read somewhere that wood ear was different than cloud; hm ah well.
Thanks for the advice, at least now I'll know which ones to buy at grocer today!

(also is it ok if I used dried shiitake instead of fresh ones...Don't feel like dropping 5 dollars for a small bag of it.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Woodear is also pretty common in my experience, and apparently black and shiitake are the same thing?

I read somewhere that wood ear was different than cloud; hm ah well.
Thanks for the advice, at least now I'll know which ones to buy at grocer today!

(also is it ok if I used dried shiitake instead of fresh ones...Don't feel like dropping 5 dollars for a small bag of it.)

Yep, dried should be fine. Just make sure to soak in warm-temperature water for 6 hours beforehand to soften. Then you can use the soaking water as part of the broth b/c it has lots of umami flavor.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wow did you just get those eggs from the store? I have to search all over for yolks with that deep an orange here in the states.

Yolk colour is engineered through feeding and breeding in order to fit regional tastes. Basically some parts of the country may prefer them yellow and faint while others like them orange and bright, so egg producers create different kinds of eggs for each region.

Sort of random/off-topic: I applied to be a assistant baker/kitchen prep for a gluten-free bakery. Hope I get the job, I expect to learn and be sore.

cryptic

Yolk colour is engineered through feeding and breeding in order to fit regional tastes. Basically some parts of the country may prefer them yellow and faint while others like them orange and bright, so egg producers create different kind of eggs for each region.

I always was taught the paler the egg the shittier the nutrition, to be blunt. That's interesting though I've never heard that.

Negator

I've been inspired by Chef John and have made several of his recipes. I'm starting to feel like I actually know how to cook! It's a good feeling.

Tomorrow is my sister's birthday so tonight I made lasagna sauce based on Chef John's recipe, just waiting for it to cool so I can put it in the refrigerator. I'll post pics tomorrow of the completed lasagna product.

I tasted the sauce and oh my god, I can't believe I actually made something that tastes so amazing! It's actually taking all of my willpower to not just toss some of it into a bowl and eat it.

I also made a pecan pie Chef John style yesterday. Just waiting to see how it tastes.

I've been inspired by Chef John and have made several of his recipes. I'm starting to feel like I actually know how to cook! It's a good feeling.

Tomorrow is my sister's birthday so tonight I made lasagna sauce based on Chef John's recipe, just waiting for it to cool so I can put it in the refrigerator. I'll post pics tomorrow of the completed lasagna product.

I tasted the sauce and oh my god, I can't believe I actually made something that tastes so amazing! It's actually taking all of my willpower to not just toss some of it into a bowl and eat it.

I also made a pecan pie Chef John style yesterday. Just waiting to see how it tastes.

Hey nice I use some of his recipes too. Such as his insanely delicious caramel apple pie. Although I had to do a little tweaking to make it not so runny (thankfully I read the comments before going on) but it was seriously about the best apple pie I ever ate and certainly the best I ever made ...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chef-johns-caramel-apple-pie/detail.aspx

Allrecipes has a bunch of chef john recipes and tutorial videos btw

jet1911

His Youtube channel is the only one I watch religiously. Chef John <3

050_resizex3or8.jpg

Takes a lot of foie gras to make a terrine for almost 500 people. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom