• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
At was delicious. The flavor of the broth was superb.

Now that I have a proper dutch oven, I need to start braising. I've never had short ribs before...I may give that a shot. Saw a simple recipe on Youtube: short ribs, onions, carrots, celery, braised with red wine and beef stock, with some herbes de provence and a bay leaf.

Congrats dude...

Try this recipe...I started with this and have since tweaked it to make it my own.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys-neelys/neelys-short-ribs-recipe/index.html

You don't even have to do the orange zest, it's kind of a waste.

You can try braising oxtails as well, or a mix of short rib and oxtail. Also, you don't need 6 pounds...3-4 is fine.

You can serve it over anything...I think this recipe calls for grits, but I usually do white or brown rice, and I usually do the leftovers over wide egg noodles.

BTW, in my area I can get boneless short ribs, but I always for the bone in, I figure more flavor.

Congrats on the Dutch oven and tasty recipe! :) I've got a Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch oven that has worked well over the last couple of years. Now I can't image trying to cook without a Dutch oven. Would love to have a Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven but can't justify the cost for now :p BTW, I've got a beer brats recipe I'm going to try this coming weekend but it uses a slow cooker. Hopefully it'll turn out at least as half as good as yours obviously did.

I'd like a pro in here to justify to me why a Le Creuset is better than any other enamel cast iron for a fraction of the cost.

I own a 5qt Lodge and a 7 qt one my mom got me from Sur La Table.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have ruined two Le Cruesets with normal slow cooking adventures and I will never buy one again. They are to cooking what Invicta is to watches.

DJ_Lae

I'd like a pro in here to justify to me why a Le Creuset is better than any other enamel cast iron for a fraction of the cost.

I own a 5qt Lodge and a 7 qt one my mom got me from Sur La Table.

Yeah, I've got two cheap (and on sale at the time, probably $30 and $50 apiece) enameled ones too - Lagostina and Kitchen Aid. So far they've held up fine for the several years I've been using them, and the smaller (4 qt I think) Lagostina has seen a ton of abuse with no real wear to show for it.

The pricing on the Le Creuset ones is insane.

Pizza!

itt7fNqYMzHMD.jpg

It's a pity I didn't have any nice cheeses because it was definitely missing something. Gorgonzola would have been great.

CrankyJay

Banned
hosers3.jpg

BTW, my friend and I were up in Montreal last September and he kept going on and on about this beer but we couldn't find it up there.

How common is this in Canada? Wonder if I can find it in the states.

hosers3.jpg

BTW, my friend and I were up in Montreal last September and he kept going on and on about this beer but we couldn't find it up there.

Not sure about the other states, but pretty easy to find in California. Booze places like BevMo probably have it as well as wine stores that also have beer sections. I think I've even seen it at places like Whole Paycheck.

TheExodu5

Banned
hosers3.jpg

In Quebec it's fairly common. It's the most popular beer from Unibroue. You might not find it at gas stations, but groceries often have it. I'm in Ontario so I just get mine from The Beer Store.

CrankyJay

Banned
Gonna stop by a specialty store tonight. Thanks.

Also...tonight's dinner.

Flour/eggwashed some pounded chicken breasts, made a pan sauce with lemon juice, sherry, mushrooms, kalamata and green olives.

vp5rB.jpg

Deglazed the pan with sherry, added some fresh squeezed lemon juice and butter...cooking down.

8a2ZA.jpg

Plated with rice with some lemon zest boiled in.

b0QZp.jpg

Silkworm

I have ruined two Le Cruesets with normal slow cooking adventures and I will never buy one again. They are to cooking what Invicta is to watches.

Huh, didn't know there was such disdain for Le Cruesets :) I've never used one, just read that they're very good (which is what I'd expect in light of the price) so figured they'd be even beter than what I have. Oh well, I'm happy with my tramontina Dutch oven so there's no good reason to "upgrade" especially if others have encountered problems with the Le Cruset line. I've splurged on an All-Clad Stainless 12" fry panl which I've been very satisfied with as well as on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and food processor both of which I'm also happy with. The only other thing I've been wanting to get is the Breville BBL605XL Hemisphere Control Blender but I haven't been able to justify to myself the need to spending $200 on a blender yet :p Was hoping for a Black Friday sale on it or even Cyber Monday sale but nothing happened AFAIK.

Edit: Hmmmm. I'll have to se if I can find La Fin Du Monde. IN is in the midwest so perhaps I'll be lucky and find it locally as well :)

I requested tomato soup for dinner and my husband obliged!

8225416217_f4d3d069ab.jpg

Had it with a side of farinata.

Close up of the farinata:
8226488590_dfef35d48c.jpg

I think farinata is becoming one of my favorite quick-breads. I guess it's technically not quick since it has to be set aside for 2-4 hours before baking.

We washed all this down with a holiday themed beer:

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Huh, didn't know there was such disdain for Le Cruesets :) I've never used one, just read that they're very good (which is what I'd expect in light of the price) so figured they'd be even beter than what I have. Oh well, I'm happy with my tramontina Dutch oven so there's no good reason to "upgrade" especially if others have encountered problems with the Le Cruset line. I've splurged on an All-Clad Stainless 12" fry panl which I've been very satisfied with as well as on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and food processor both of which I'm also happy with. The only other thing I've been wanting to get is the Breville BBL605XL Hemisphere Control Blender but I haven't been able to justify to myself the need to spending $200 on a blender yet :p Was hoping for a Black Friday sale on it or even Cyber Monday sale but nothing happened AFAIK.

Edit: Hmmmm. I'll have to se if I can find La Fin Du Monde. IN is in the midwest so perhaps I'll be lucky and find it locally as well :)

Ymmv on LE crueset.

cryptic

Try putting half an inch of water in it then put it on the stove and boil the water in the pan or a long while. Use a metal spatula to scrape the crud off as it loosens.

Sometimes seeing is believing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npWOnXZAFLY

Make sure to re season your pan!

See, I have no visible crud, the surface appears flat and smooth, but black crud, almost dirt like, keep's coming off. It's weird as it appears as clean as it ever has, maybe I should render the suet I have and use that as seasoning versus the EV coconut oil?
Thanks.

My wife's grandma used to (and now us) make white borscht every Easter...it's basically stale rye bread/rye flour fermenting in a crock jar for a week to make zur, then that bread water is strained and boiled with slab bacon and polish sausage and vinegar. The broth is served over sliced hard boiled egg, sliced polish sausage, and fresh shaved horseradish.

Kinda decent, but definitely an acquired taste.
See, that's sounds good but I never see anything like that in restaurants. Perhaps it's just those foods I mentioned in my last post just lend themselves to convenience so I see them often, although good pierogi dough is hard to make.
Going to the CIA in New York and learning of classic French technique, it kind of throws me too, the different European styles, Polish and German food's seem so less organized and more of a hodgepodge of what's there.

Caramel Parfait with Applesauce and Caramel decor

caramelparfait.jpg

Great dessert. Easy to make and easy to serve. I've made them in a silicone mold, so I can just pick whatever amount that is needed for the meal and keep the rest frozen until another time.

Haha, but seriously I'm not gonna enter the world of homemade icecream until I get myself an icecream machine. (saying this without that much knowledge about the process though).

TheExodu5

Banned
Haha, but seriously I'm not gonna enter the world of homemade icecream until I get myself an icecream machine. (saying this without that much knowledge about the process though).

If you do, please make Heston Blumenthal's Bacon & Egg Ice Cream. It sounds awesome.

See, I have no visible crud, the surface appears flat and smooth, but black crud, almost dirt like, keep's coming off. It's weird as it appears as clean as it ever has, maybe I should render the suet I have and use that as seasoning versus the EV coconut oil?

Give it a good wash with soap to clean it completely. You'll have to restart the seasoning process. For seasoning, just wipe a bit of oil onto it and leave it at medium heat on the stovetop, wiping every little while into the pores. My mom's been doing this with her De Buyer and it's been working incredibly well. Also, make sure you don't cook with any acidic compounds...that will break down the seasoning and that will cause it to come off into your food. Make sure to keep your pan oiled so that it doesn't rust, as that will also cause residue to wipe off the pan.

A few months back, I cooked salmon in my De Buyer and didn't clean it for a day. It seems like something in the salmon caused the seasoning to break down. No matter how long I washed it or how many times I wiped it, it kept wiping off black. I had to use soap to clean it completely and then it was fine. I just reseasoned it from that point. Now, I make sure to wash it after I use it.

Dash27

I am looking for recipes that meet the below requirements, any good sites or examples? :

1. Delicious.
2. Conform to the Paleo diet *
3. Takes under 30 minutes to cook, prepare from a starting point of having every ingredient in front of you ready to go in it's whole form, meaning peppers are whole not chopped, onions are not diced yet etc.

* Paleo meaning No grains, legumes (beans, soy, lentils, peanuts), refined sugar or dairy.

General Paleo Examples: http://punchfork.com/paleo

Specific: Spicy Shrimp with Avocado and Arugula Salad

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/09/spicy-shrimp-with-avocado-and-arugula-salad-recipe.html

2012-05-21-219518-skillet-suppers-shrimp-arugula.JPG

Dash27

Also just to note, I have almost every Paleo cookbook out there. I have Primal Blueprint Cookbook as well. Aware of nomnompaleo.com and balancedbites.com for recipes.

Was hoping someone had some personal favorites they could share that might fit the criteria.

QUICHE!

jbyI06FWbS7vFM.jpg

I still have to wait 30 minutes for it to cook. :(

Loved the colors though, very festive. :)

Nice looking quiche. What's the green used in here? Spinach?

Do you pre-bake your quiche shell before putting the filling in? I've always done it that way, but wondered if you could just put it all in the oven in one go. Would the shell get too soggy then?

Nice looking quiche. What's the green used in here? Spinach?

Do you pre-bake your quiche shell before putting the filling in? I've always done it that way, but wondered if you could just put it all in the oven in one go. Would the shell get too soggy then?

Yes, indeed spinach! I actually used a tube of croissant rolls I needed to use up from the fridge. Slapped the triangles in the pan (rubbed with some coconut oil of course), pinched it all together, then dumped all this stuff in it. Basically needed to come up with a dinner from the ingredients in the fridge due to lack of funds at the moment.

Here's what's inside (I don't remember quantities, I just threw crap into a bowl and started mixing).

Spinach
Little pepperoni (hormel?)
cherry tomatoes
2x duck eggs
chicken eggs (2 or 3?)
Parmesan cheese
shredded taco cheese
Splash of milk (usually I'd use cream here)
salt/pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
paprika

It turned out fabulous! I can upload a finished product photo if anyone cares.

Yule porridge (risengrød/scandinavian rice pudding)

ricepudding1.jpg

ricepudding2.jpg

Traditional scandinavian meal during christmas. The rice is cooked in milk, and typically served with red squash or a sweet beer. The pudding is topped with a knob of butter and cinnamonsugar. First time this season which is always the best one. When you get closer to christmas eve you get sick of just the thought of risengrød.

We use a Kitchen-Aid attachment; the biggest problem is really the forethought it requires since you need to prep a day ahead. But man, ice cream made with 2 cups of fresh mint from the garden... it's just sublime.

Yes, indeed spinach! I actually used a tube of croissant rolls I needed to use up from the fridge. Slapped the triangles in the pan (rubbed with some coconut oil of course), pinched it all together, then dumped all this stuff in it. Basically needed to come up with a dinner from the ingredients in the fridge due to lack of funds at the moment.

Whoa, that's a great idea! I love quiche but am too lazy to make the shell most times. But the croissant roll thing is great because it's also vegan!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm a weak, weak person :(

DqzQ8l.jpg

Tt2yJl.jpg

Also bought a mandolin, a pen thermometer and a thermometer you can fasten on pots etc.

I'm a weak, weak person :(

Also bought a mandolin, a pen thermometer and a thermometer you can fasten on pots etc.
I know :( My family and gf have banned me from entering any kitchen stores since they are all buying something kitchen related for me this year. I would LOVE a great quality mandolin but they are so expensive. Thermometer that you can fasten on pots is awesome!

CrankyJay

Banned
I know :( My family and gf have banned me from entering any kitchen stores since they are all buying something kitchen related for me this year. I would LOVE a great quality mandolin but they are so expensive. Thermometer that you can fasten on pots is awesome!

Please be careful with your fingers...those things are no fucking joke.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Thanks! The knife looks amazing in person, but so expensive (real Damascus). Even at 40-60% discount.

The mandolin had one of those plastic things to protect your fingers with.

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks! The knife looks amazing in person, but so expensive (real Damascus). Even at 40-60% discount.

True, but I know people that didn't bother using them and sliced off tips of fingers etc. lol

Good lordy I just looked up a knife that looks like yours and dat price. Wowie, I am sure it is amazing though!

Silkworm

Oh you could handle it I'm sure! Of course it depends on how picky you are but I've got a Cuisinart ICE-21 ice cream maker which makes about a quart of ice cream at a time and does a fine job and isn't too expensive (only ~$50). I started off trying a recipe from Cook's Illustrated for vanilla bean ice cream but then I recently got Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home cookbook and I've tried a couple of recipes from it: "Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World", "Salty Caramel Ice Cream", and recently "Roasted Pumpkin 5-Spice Ice Cream". She has quite an imagination so there are some flavor combinations that I wouldn't have thought of trying on my own. Anyway, it's not difficult at all (esp nothing near as involved as making some of those wonderful desserts you have shared pictures of).

Also I can attest to how dangerous mandolines can be if you're not careful. I sliced the tip of one of my fingers off so bad that I had to go to urgent care to stop the bleeding -- at the time I wasn't using the guard because the thing I was slicing wouldn't work well with the plastic guard. Anyway, I think I've learned my lesson (or I hope I have) and try to stop slicing before I get to close to the blade -- so far, so good.

beat

I have a el cheapo mandoline and I always use at least one of the plastic guide thing or a cut-resistant glove. Depends on the item - small things like radishes lose too much material to the guide, so the glove is a better choice there.

Other cooking stuff: I'm really happy with my 'freezer mise en place' - I've made things like slow-cooked onions or ginger-scallion sauce (both from the Momofuku cookbook), then divided them into portion sizes for freezing. The onions take a good hour to cook, so it's nice to do a big batch and then break out a couple of tablespoons when I need 'em.

The machines are great. It's just a matter of making a custard and then pouring it in the machine.

Was too lazy to go grocery shopping today, so I cleaned out the fridge and made:

Pasta with pistachio nuts instead of pine nuts and sauteed bok choy with garlic, olive oil, and cayenne pepper.

Zyzyxxz

Tt2yJl.jpg

Wow who makes that knife and how much was it? It's beautiful.

Also be sure to palm your food on the mandoline, no tiger clawing it because it's better to get a cut on your palm than cut off finger tips. The cut on your palm will likely be much less serious than the tip of your finger where it is super sensitive. I would know having chopped off a bit of my finger while trying out a super sharp knife.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Wow who makes that knife and how much was it? It's beautiful.

Also be sure to palm your food on the mandoline, no tiger clawing it because it's better to get a cut on your palm than cut off finger tips. The cut on your palm will likely be much less serious than the tip of your finger where it is super sensitive. I would know having chopped off a bit of my finger while trying out a super sharp knife.

Don't know who made it, I'll have to check. Just Kanji on the the box, so no real help there.
It was about $350.

A friend picked this set up for $500 which seems like a bargain.

wi1wO.jpg

Leeness

Someone please suggest to me some Christmas cookies that have chocolate and peppermint in them! Just chocolate chip cookies with peppermint extract?

Or can anyone think of something more fun? :) I'm feeling uncreative and can't think of anything haha.

Instead of putting the peppermint extract in the cookies how about making a peppermint filling instead?

(not mine)
Chocolate_Mint_Cookies-3.jpg

For the filling I use a recipe which I call Fluffy White Frosting
You heat some sugar(200g) and water(80ml) in a pan until the sugar has dissolved and it starts boiling. Then you whip 2 eggwhites and a teaspoon of pepperment extract until stiff peaks. Pour the sugar syrup into the stiff eggwhites and whip for 10 mins until thick and glossy. (optional: add green food color). Best served the same day if added between cookies, or keep cooled and rewhip next day.

rykomatsu

Found out my oven has a built-in thermometer so used it on roast chicken last week...150F internal temp for 10min to kill off the Salmonella. Juiciest chicken I've ever had. Admittedly our guests were a little disgusted...fiancee and I enjoyed it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom