• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
We made Paella Valenciana this weekend for our friends. It was awesome, flavorful, brothy, comforting. We polished off like 7 bottles of wine while cooking, during dinner and afterwards. Fantastic.

paella2_zps7a5ff2af.jpg

paella1_zps337a97b0.jpg

I remember a 7 bottle night my wife and I had with some friends. Awesome night. LOL. Smoked a bowl too.

entremet

I cooked following tonight:

Appetizer:
Frisee and Apple salad, with basic vinaigrette.

Entree:
Duck breast with peach compote and fingerling potatoes.

I don't cook duck much since it's pretty pricey, but I forgot I good is taste. Cooked medium rare, which is how I like it, and totally safe, unlike chicken with is a dirty ass bird, it taste a lot like beef.

The peach compote went well with it.

Not a big picture taker, so sorry if I don't have pics.

This Friday me and my ktichen got to know each other rather well...

cakeparty1_zpsaeb5add6.jpg

cakeparty2_zpsb265a956.jpg

Was comissioned to bake four cake to a friend's 60 years old birthday party. Chose two of my favorite cakes and made them in two variations each. It was fun planning and organizing and then using a whole day on making them as strange as that sounds. I was lucky to have the day off and didn't stress out in anyway.

You also run into problems such as; where you store four big cakes during the night? Well time to clean yo' fridge!

cakeparty3_zps5287750a.jpg

n0n44m

Pizza thread seems pretty dead to me (RIP) so let's continue in here, I'm always lurking anyways :)

spent the weekend repairing, cleaning & modding our oven ... looks like its paying off ! also the IR thermometer I got is pretty damn handy in the kitchen ;)

yesterday's appetizer, a "bianca" aka just dough with some herbs, olive oil & salt

today's Margheritas , 6 min bake, broiler turned on for the last 2 minutes

I've been baking a lot the past year or two but those two were my best pizzas ever ... so simple yet so good (and I didn't even have any basil!)

I'm sorry if you've explained this already but you eat a pizza everyday ?

How is it working for your health ?

I do ...

I'm slowly turning into pizza ... HELP ME

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Made some very spicy and very citrusy chana masala for breakfast. Packed it full with dried mango and pomegranate powder and fresh lime juice. Actually made it yesterday, but it sets up all nice spice-like in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Love vegetarian cooking...made a huge batch for about $3, including all the fresh tomatoes and cilantro peppers and onions.

115B45C3-56D1-4F13-AC89-93EDB2284D9E-7004-00000834C70110D1.jpg

Recipe?

VanWinkle

Pizza thread seems pretty dead to me (RIP) so let's continue in here, I'm always lurking anyways :)

spent the weekend repairing, cleaning & modding our oven ... looks like its paying off ! also the IR thermometer I got is pretty d*** handy in the kitchen ;)

yesterday's appetizer, a "bianca" aka just dough with some herbs, olive oil & salt

today's Margheritas , 6 min bake, broiler turned on for the last 2 minutes

I've been baking a lot the past year or two but those two were my best pizzas ever ... so simple yet so good (and I didn't even have any basil!)

I do ...

I'm slowly turning into pizza ... HELP ME

Definitely the best I've seen from you so far. Looks great!

Yes Boss!

I did not take photos this time but will be making another batch in a week and will document how I make it. Served at room temp, btw, since it is more flavorful (think hummus, without fat).

But here is a quickie:

Soak one cup dried Garbanzo beans for 24 hours (they will triple in size!)
Pressure cook beans for 35-40 minutes, reserve, saving precious bean broth (don't discard!)

Heat one to two teaspoons vegetable oil in pan at high.
Add a good scoop of cumin seed for thirty seconds.
Quickly add: a whole cinnamon stick, six whole cloves, a big bay leaf, five green cardamon pods, a couple pieces of mace to oil and fry for a twenty seconds.

Add a bit of hing/asfoetida and fry for a few seconds more.

Add a finely chopped onion and a teaspoon of salt (stops spiced from burning) and fry till golden/translucent.

Add a generous scoop of ginger/garlic paste and fry for thirty seconds. Quickly add a small scoop of turmeric. Stop it all from burning by adding a 1/4 cup of water.

In the meantime, add a mix of three blended (pulverized) tomatoes and two thai chilis/serranos.

Increase heat and rapidly reduce while adding a bunch of ground spices: huge scoop of corriander, small scoop of cumin, HUGE scoop of chana masala mix, big scoop of ground red pepper, a bit more salt. Reduce till all water is gone and oil starts to surface on tomatoes. You are also breaking down the onions till they disappear.

Add drained garbanzo beans with some of the bean juice. Bring to boil Add more salt to taste. Mash a good cup or so against the side of the pot...add more of the bean juice. Boil together to get a nice thickness. Add some more dried pomegranate powder (there was already some in the chana masala) and cook for a few minutes.

With the consistency good (really only cooking for a few minutes since the beans are already cooked, as is the curry, just bringing together), check for salt, adjust.

Add a finely chopped bunch of cilantro and cook for a few minutes.

Remove from heat, and add a generous scoop of dried mango powder (what makes the dish).

Stage in a container and put in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Serve at room temp with fresh lime/lemon juice squeezed on top, with flat bread on the side.

And as always: this is my take on indian dishes. I make a bunch of liberties and changes based on where I'm at, what my facilites are (one-pot, one burner currently) and access to ingredients. If anybody from india has anything to add I'd love to hear it! I'm just a white dude cooking for fun, and would love to get my stuff more authentic!

Collete

You really need to go compete in some sort of competition and win all those cash prizes.
You'd be rich!
But really nice work!

I haven't really been cooking much as of late, (just haven't been feeling well) but decided to share what I discovered recently.
And that's sugar cubes!

NUXe8Iw.jpg

ifwJK36.jpg

Apparently it's not that complex as I thought to make these, didn't even require a mold either!
I think I could have done better and make the top look prettier before I put it in the oven.
But saves my parents a bit of hassle than fishing out loose sugar to put in their chai and coffee.

Kabanossi

Greetings from Finland! I'm finally able to post! Been lurking for years. This is the best thread on NeoGAF. I might also post some pics later.

I wasn't happy with how my sushi rice turned out... I actually had better success with brown rice, the time before.

Filled with a spicy canned tuna mixture, avocado, and red bell pepper. Bottom right is Japanese sweet omelet; and top right is just raw broccoli, since I couldn't figure out what else to add.

Leeness

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/cakeparty1_zpsaeb5add6.jpg
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/cakeparty2_zpsb265a956.jpg

Was comissioned to bake four cake to a friend's 60 years old birthday party. Chose two of my favorite cakes and made them in two variations each. It was fun planning and organizing and then using a whole day on making them as strange as that sounds. I was lucky to have the day off and didn't stress out in anyway.

You also run into problems such as; where you store four big cakes during the night? Well time to clean yo' fridge!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/cakeparty3_zps5287750a.jpg[/QUOTE]

:lol You're amazing.

^Thanks :)

sugar cubes!
Hmmm really interesting! I love to discover how to make food products you just take for granted, but in reality are simple and easy to make, or better yet, turn out much better than store bought products.

First time ever making a pie!(well I actually made two!!)

Key Lime Pie with whipped cream
limepie1_zpsb8eea1e8.jpg

limepie2_zps5f3fac93.jpg

I didn't have a proper mold(pretty bad to find out after you've made the dough, so I made two small pies instead which in the end was really good, because one piece of this pie is more than enough. Awesome lime taste though and great contrast between the crunchy crumb and soft lime filling.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Made a roast in the crock pot last night with a 5.5 lb butt roast, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of french soup mix.

Anyone else have any great crock pot roast recipes? Or good crock pot recipes?

Collete

^Thanks :)

Hmmm really interesting! I love to discover how to make food products you just take for granted, but in reality are simple and easy to make, or better yet, turn out much better than store bought products.

I'm not sure if sugar cubes are better than the store bought ones (never tried a commercial sugar cube in years), just know these were really simple to make. (You'll have no problem if you decide to make it, you cake master!)

Take a cup of sugar and put three teaspoons of water in the center and mix it well till there are no lumps of water/sugar. Pack the sugar in a meat loaf pan lined with parchment paper or foil (or if you have a large tray, double the amount of sugar and water, etc) with a fork, and then again with a masher or a meat tenderizer making sure no pockets of air are still there and compact. Then score/cut the sugar in cubes, bake at 250 degree Fahrenheit for an hour. Let it cool, then voila.
Recipe was from the "Simplecookingchannel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrtxHf4CK3c

Also discovered edible cookie dough as well which I'll probably make in the future when I'm not feeling like utter crap.

I wasn't happy with how my sushi rice turned out... I actually had better success with brown rice, the time before.

Filled with a spicy canned tuna mixture, avocado, and red bell pepper. Bottom right is Japanese sweet omelet; and top right is just raw broccoli, since I couldn't figure out what else to add.

Your bento looks quite filling and delicious.
This video was posted awhile back and might give you a better idea next time as to what to put in the bento (instead of raw broccoli, but nothing wrong with that either!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwYFBDpW7ic

Edit: Not sure if I mentioned before, but your avatar and name combination is awesome, heh.

Damn that looks good.

I'd consume the shit out of it.

Thanks, guys. :D

I drizzled more glaze over the whole bit when it was done and sprinkled a bit of volcano salt on top. It was... delectable.

I highly recommend giving it a go yourselves. Super simple if you get pre-made dough. Just salt and pepper the short ribs, add a bit of brown sugar, chop up some garlic, and marinate the lot in balsamic glaze over night or for a few hours. Sear it off, slice it thin and top your pizza with it. 25 minutes later in the oven and boom goes the dynamite.

Kyoufu

I'm sorry if you've explained this already but you eat a pizza everyday ? You do it completely yoursef ?

How is it working for your health ?

I've been wondering the same thing too. Every time I click on this thread I see that pizza picture posted. It's so frequent that I expect it on every page of this thread. It cracks me up now. :lol

Cooking question. I want to make this recipe I found for "Chili Con Cupcakes" (I know, awesome name). The recipe is basically combine a bunch of ingrediants, including 1 lb of ground beef, divide between 12 muffin tins and bake at 375 for 30 minutes until a thermometer reads 160 placed in the middle.

The question is, do I brown the meat before this? It does not say anything about browning it anywhere in the recipe. I wanted to run this by the GAF chefs before I potentially give my children food poisoning. Would you follow the recipe, or brown the meat?

Thanks.

Cooking question. I want to make this recipe I found for "Chili Con Cupcakes" (I know, awesome name). The recipe is basically combine a bunch of ingrediants, including 1 lb of ground beef, divide between 12 muffin tins and bake at 375 for 30 minutes until a thermometer reads 160 placed in the middle.

The question is, do I brown the meat before this? It does not say anything about browning it anywhere in the recipe. I wanted to run this by the GAF chefs before I potentially give my children food poisoning. Would you follow the recipe, or brown the meat?

Thanks.

the recipe wouldn't work if you browned the meat first, kinda like making meatloaf. anyway should be fine, you might wanna cook them for 45 minutes or so if you're worried. or just get ray lewis to cut one open for you and make sure it's done. with ground beef you really don't want to eat it rare.

the recipe wouldn't work if you browned the meat first, kinda like making meatloaf. anyway should be fine, you might wanna cook them for 45 minutes or so if you're worried. or just get ray lewis to cut one open for you and make sure it's done. with ground beef you really don't want to eat it rare.

Thanks, and I like your style.

I've been wondering the same thing too. Every time I click on this thread I see that pizza picture posted. It's so frequent that I expect it on every page of this thread. It cracks me up now. :lol

It won't happen this week on account of the market being out of supplies like chumps...I'll spare the thread my Sat night dinner of a backup frozen pizza.

DrSlek

Recently I've been experimenting with kangaroo meat. Tastes great, and low in fat. I'm currently trying to find a marrinade that I'll be happy to use on it.

Recently I've been experimenting with kangaroo meat. Tastes great, and low in fat. I'm currently trying to find a marrinade that I'll be happy to use on it.

This reminds me of the recent This American Life talking about Ira's dog and its insane diet of kangaroo meat, hehe. Re: venison, when I was younger I had a friend whose father was a bowhunter and we'd always have these little spicy sort of sausage patties made of venison. I'm guessing they probably ground a bunch of pork fat in them to give it a bit more oomph in that regard, pity I didn't know more about cooking back then.

I'm a vegetarian now, but I still enjoy watching River Cottage episodes about butchering and sausage making. Speaking of which if you haven't watched a few series they're really enjoyable, my young daughters love them too.

TheExodu5

Banned
Never had deer. How does it taste?

Similar to beef, but can be gamey depending on the time of year it was killed. My dad and uncle both hunt them in Quebec. During rifle season (end of November), they're pretty gamey since they're in the rut. During bow season (late September, I believe), they're a lot less gamey, and often nearly indistinguishable from beef.

Dartastic

Hey Iron Gaf, any good Thai chefs in here? I was wondering if anyone can make a good pad se ew. I've tried multiple times to get it, and I can't quite nail it. My sauce tastes off, and I have a hard time getting the noodles to the right consistency. I use fresh ones usually.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Planning to make prime rib roast this weekend to celebrate my dad's birthday.

NEED HALP.

I've cobbled together a mongrel recipe that's half Food Lab and half Steamy Kitchen in order to save time, effort and equipment costs. I'd appreciate if someone could look it over and tell me if there's anything that is missing or should be changed.

Ingredients

2 pounds beef shins or oxtail
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 garlic cloves, halved
1 cup dry red wine
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cup (32 oz) low-sodium chicken stock
1 standing rib roast, 3-4 pounds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Procedure

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 400°F. Place oxtails/shins in roasting pan. Toss onions, celery, carrots and garlic with cooking oil and add to the pan. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven when done.

Lower the oven to 200°F. Season all sides of the rib roast with salt and pepper. Push bones and vegetables to the side and place rib roast, fat cap facing up, in the pan. Return pan to oven and cook until center of roast registers 120°F on an instant-read thermometer for medium-rare, or 135°F for medium, 3 to 4 hours.

Remove roasting pan from oven, transfer the roast to a large plate, and tent tightly with aluminum foil. Place in a warm spot and allow to rest. Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to highest possible setting (500°F to 550°F).

Pour or spoon out excess fat. Place roasting pan on two burners set to high heat. Add red wine, bay leaves, and thyme and cook until reduced by half, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Add chicken stock and simmer until shins/oxtail are tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer shins/oxtail to a serving plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Pour contents of the pan through a fine mesh strainer into a saucepan. Season jus to taste with salt and pepper (may not need salt). Stir in butter and keep warm.

Wipe out roasting pan, remove foil from prime rib, and place on top of rack with fat cap facing up. 10 minutes before guests are ready to be served, place roast back in hot oven and cook until well-browned and crisp on the exterior, 6-10 minutes. Remove from oven, carve, and serve immediately, serving shin/oxtail meat on the side, and passing hot jus around the table.

Some questions:

1) What is the difference between having the jus inside the pan while roasting the rib, and assembling the jus afterwards?

2) Why did Kenji add so much butter to his jus? His recipe called for 4 tablespoons; here I cut it down to 2.

3) Do I need to add some flour to thicken up the jus or will it have enough body from the vegetables and shins/oxtails?

Zyzyxxz

Some questions:

1) What is the difference between having the jus inside the pan while roasting the rib, and assembling the jus afterwards?

2) Why did Kenji add so much butter to his jus? His recipe called for 4 tablespoons; here I cut it down to 2.

3) Do I need to add some flour to thicken up the jus or will it have enough body from the vegetables and shins/oxtails?

1. Jus in the pan meant your primerib just bled a shit ton of its juices, roasted properly it should not be leave behind much juice at all especially if you properly rest it. That's why their recipes call for making jus separately because assuming you don't cook it wrong you won't have any jus to serve with your prime rib. Juices that are in your pan are juices that aren't in your meat so you want juicy meat obviously.

2. Kenji adds a ton of butter because it's fucking good. Nobody is forcing you but if you think about it, 4 tablespoons isn't that much split between how many people? If you are gonna have 8 people than that's 1/2 a tablespoon a person. So don't skimp on the butter it will make your sauce better when emulsified into it.

3. If your jus is more runny than you'd like (meaning you want more of a gravy consistency) then make a roux and cook out all the flour taste, otherwise if you have bones and oxtail making the jus then the collagen and fat will give your jus a nice lip-smacking pleasantness to it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Cross post from the weight-loss thread:

Bit of a random question, but anyone familiar with this thing:

SMOOTHIE-MAKER-1-AsSeenOnTvMalaysia.com_1.jpg

I can get one for free since I just found out I apparantly get points with my mobile provider. Never bothered to look at it, browsed the catalogue, everything looks shit/not interesting, but a smoothie blender/maker/whatever would be nifty. But it has this hilaribad infomercial that has me worried this is tellsell garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom