• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My friend and I are planning to go to a churrascaria (brazilian bbq) to celebrate his birthday and I were wondering about something.

Why is it that lunch costs far less ($20 difference) than dinner? This seems to be true for many churrascarias. I've been told that it is because people eat less during lunch. Is this true? Or is it just one part of the price disparity?

My friend and I are planning to go to a churrascaria (brazilian bbq) to celebrate his birthday and I were wondering about something.

Why is it that lunch costs far less ($20 difference) than dinner? This seems to be true for many churrascarias. I've been told that it is because people eat less during lunch. Is this true? Or is it just one part of the price disparity?

People probably do generally eat less, also in my experience they dont offer as many meats nor is the "salad" bar have as many items.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People probably do generally eat less, also in my experience they dont offer as many meats nor is the "salad" bar have as many items.

Thanks, this is what I was interested in. I wanted to make sure the meat selection was the same but if there does seem to be a difference between lunch and dinner then I need to confirm by hand.
1. Jus in the pan meant your primerib just bled a shit ton of its juices, roasted properly it should not be leave behind much juice at all especially if you properly rest it. That's why their recipes call for making jus separately because assuming you don't cook it wrong you won't have any jus to serve with your prime rib. Juices that are in your pan are juices that aren't in your meat so you want juicy meat obviously.

2. Kenji adds a ton of butter because it's fucking good. Nobody is forcing you but if you think about it, 4 tablespoons isn't that much split between how many people? If you are gonna have 8 people than that's 1/2 a tablespoon a person. So don't skimp on the butter it will make your sauce better when emulsified into it.

3. If your jus is more runny than you'd like (meaning you want more of a gravy consistency) then make a roux and cook out all the flour taste, otherwise if you have bones and oxtail making the jus then the collagen and fat will give your jus a nice lip-smacking pleasantness to it.

Got it, thanks.

Thanks, guys. :D

I drizzled more glaze over the whole bit when it was done and sprinkled a bit of volcano salt on top. It was... delectable.

I highly recommend giving it a go yourselves. Super simple if you get pre-made dough. Just salt and pepper the short ribs, add a bit of brown sugar, chop up some garlic, and marinate the lot in balsamic glaze over night or for a few hours. Sear it off, slice it thin and top your pizza with it. 25 minutes later in the oven and boom goes the dynamite.
bahhh I know exactly how it will turn out for me. I'll attempt it, it won't look nearly as good as the picture, and I'll have a giant mess somehow in the process. Bitter disappointment!

It's the same reason why I've never made a pizza myself, if it doesn't turn out like I want I'll have made a giant mess for nothing :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Did some baking for my Dutch mother's birthday party later today - Dutch baking inspired ginger cupcakes with light brown sugar coating, Speculaas flavoured cream cheese icing, mixed chocolate sprinkles and a dried apricot. A few flavours from my childhood there.

394790_10151040705224364_1279465568_n.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Onkel (and other German cooking pros!):

I want to buy myself a good German cookbook. Is there anything in English that's superb?

I've got my eye on this: http://amzn.com/0394401387
51Pv9ViMmkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It seems to be a good buy, but I want to make sure before throwing $25 at it.
The gold standard books for learning german cooking in household quantities in Gemany are the cookbooks by Dr. Oetker. Several of them are available in english translations, such as this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/3767003708/?tag=neogaf0e-20
If I would gift a book about german cooking, it would be one from the Dr. Oetker range.
I can't say anything about the book you linked to, sorry:(

just wanted to share what me and some friends made today:

sorry for the lame effect and frame, i played around a little with an app and accidentally deleted the original instead of this one.

What you see:

Italian veggies,

potato wedges with spanish smoked paprika

and selfmade seitan-ribs that were marinated in a self-made bbq sauce, which was incredibly tasty. the recipe for the seitan and bbq sauce can be found here:

http://tofufortwo.net/2008/04/29/oven-barbecued-seitan-with-curried-sweet-potato-fries/

props to my friend steilz, who is also a gaf user for letting me use his kitchen again!

steiLz

Neo Member
Was quite delicious, but the seitan-ribs were a bit too dry. I would recommend adding more liquid in the seitan-making process.

Ecrofirt

The gold standard books for learning german cooking in household quantities in Gemany are the cookbooks by Dr. Oetker. Several of them are available in english translations, such as this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/3767003708/?tag=neogaf0e-20
If I would gift a book about german cooking, it would be one from the Dr. Oetker range.
I can't say anything about the book you linked to, sorry:(

Thank you. Amazon had a used copy of your book for $4.93 (shipping included), so I picked that one up.

Did some baking for my Dutch mother's birthday party later today
Looking awesome as always!!

So tonight me and my gf have been invited over to my brother and his gf for dinner. I've promised to make a dessert. The problem is that my brother's gf is allergic to all things cow. So no butter, no milk, no cream, no steak(seriously, if any has a cake recipe consisting of steak I need it asap!). I've been searching around for what is basically lactose free desserts. I've then come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna make, say a chocolate cake, but comprimise it by using soy milk or something like that. I've tried vegan cakes before and they lack a great deal of taste. So what cake is made without any diary product? Angel Food Cake!

Luckily I know of an Angel Food Cake that is really interesting, I've made it once before here in this thread:
anglefoodcake4.jpg

Now that chococream covering that cake is actually chocolate mousse, my go-to chocolate mousse, but it's cream based. So I had to find another mousse recipe...

Testing, testing. While I'm testing (and me and my gf are the test persons) I might as well spice it up:

Chocolate and Mango mousse with whipped cream and coffee drops
doublemousse1_zps27ac4339.jpg

doublemousse2_zpsc8e5ab2f.jpg

So the objective is to see how the taste of this eggwhite/yolk based chocolate mousse is and does it have potential to cover a cake (too runny? etc.). It's really great! But as it's much more dewy(which I actually love for a chocolate mousse) it's kinda a challenge to form around the cake.
Also first time make mango mousse(I'm running out of new mousse flavours!!), and it's fan-fucking-tastic!
The coffee drops are coffe mixed with gelatin and water then put in a squeeze bottle and then dropped into a bowl of oil over an ice bath. As I made them I ate one and they are very strong in taste. But when I ate the mousse they kinda disappeared in the mousse orgy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looking awesome as always!!

Thanks. They well received by many old Dutch women at the birthday party which I take as a strong endorsement.

So the objective is to see how the taste of this eggwhite/yolk based chocolate mousse is and does it have potential to cover a cake (too runny? etc.). It's really great! But as it's much more dewy(which I actually love for a chocolate mousse) it's kinda a challenge to form around the cake.

Have you tried doing a chocolate ganache coating?

Yeah, but only based on cream. I will have to test out other ganache variations in the future, but this time I went for trying out a new chocolate mousse recipe ;)

n0n44m

look at those babies! 18 hours no-knead + 3 days in the fridge

if you want to make them yourself ;

• 500 g Flour (all-purpose)
  • 16 g Salt
  • 10 g Sugar
  • 20 g Olive Oil
  • 350 g Water
  • 1 g Yeast

Mix up dry ingredients, add water & oil, stir until there is no dry flour left (~30 sec) , then leave it at room temp for about 18 hours (covered with some plastic or a damp towel). Should have risen considerably by then :)

Put on a well floured surface, cut in three (large diameter) or four parts, then fold each piece four times (important!) and create a ball out of it like in the picture. You can use the balls after about an hour of rest, or put them in the fridge for up to 3~5 days (let them return to room temp 2 hours before baking).

IMPORTANT: (1) Always try to handle the dough lightly (don't use rolling pins, don't flatten it), (2) make sure your hands and surface are well floured (it's a wet/sticky dough), (3) cover it up when resting or storing (they'll dry out pretty quickly). The # days in the fridge influences the taste due to the yeast.

Creating a pizza out of them is easy ; have a small mound of flour, coat the ball in it. Use your thumb and index finger to flatten the ball, then when it's sufficiently large use a combination of your knuckles/back of your hands and gravity to stretch it out. Use semolina/cornmeal on the peel to avoid sticking and be quick with adding your toppings else it will stick to the peel eventually.

For a good (great) sauce I just blend (~3 short bursts to keep some texture) a can of Italian tomatoes, with a pinch of sugar, some salt and a teaspoon or two of olive oil stirred in.

after 30 minutes of pre-heating at 275c , I then created a small inferno in our oven by keeping it opened with a piece of wood with the broiler turned on, thus bypassing both the door- and temperature sensors :) got the Baking Steel up to 325c / 600+ F according to my IR thermometer (lets hope the wood finishing on the doors above holds)

Margherita - Mozz, Onions & Bellpeppers - Quattro Formaggi
Baking time around 4:30 min :)

(yeah the last one got stuck to the peel a bit lol)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
First dinner with the deer. Sorry about the awful quality. Turned out pretty damn good.

Not pictured is the sunchoke soup, which was awesome as well (if I may say so myself).
Also made stock with some bones, which formed the base for the red wine sauce.

So I'm not that awesome at making elaborate recipes. I'm wondering if anyone had any simple recommendations on how to prepare a nice Cod filet?
Should I sear it and cool it on the pan?
Should I just put it in the oven?
Sear then bake?
Any good spices or marinades to use with it?

I've looked through epicurious and can't find anything great.

Zyzyxxz

So I'm not that awesome at making elaborate recipes. I'm wondering if anyone had any simple recommendations on how to prepare a nice Cod filet?
Should I sear it and cool it on the pan?
Should I just put it in the oven?
Sear then bake?
Any good spices or marinades to use with it?

I've looked through epicurious and can't find anything great.

If it's no thicker than 2 inches don't cook it in the oven, just sear it off on one side at a medium to medium high heat. Cod is a very forgiving fish to cook so just give it time to get a nice crispy sear

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Had to have been pretty bizarre, although the components aren't bad on their own: Rose Levy Beranbaum's cream cheese pie dough, Ocumare chocolate, pastry cream, kettle chips, Pepsi Throwback mousse, honey whipped cream, and panko fried chicken chunks. o_O

I figured it might be time for a first post so here it is:

I made some braciole this saturday with a simple filling of breadcrumbs, parmesan and herbs and garlic-butter-spaghetti as a side. Unfortunately the filling wasn't spread too evenly but it tasted great nonetheless:

xjgg2Tbl.jpg

We had some filling left over so I did the whole thing again on sunday with chicken breast. This time around I brought my a-game when it came to the filling and rolling and the sauce had more of a punch to it too:

gDXdGr0l.jpg

If it's no thicker than 2 inches don't cook it in the oven, just sear it off on one side at a medium to medium high heat. Cod is a very forgiving fish to cook so just give it time to get a nice crispy sear
I'm probably going to try searing my cod next time -- I've been broiling most of my fish, and the cod would always come out the driest.

Anyways, I got a brand new Sekiryu yanagiba in the mail. For the price its reviews were great (and I don't need to buy an expensive knife to begin practicing with anyway).

Torta di Riso al Profumo d'Arancio

Beef bourguignon

Couple of things I've made recently. Been too long since I've posted to this thread. Always amazed by the quality of the cooking on show by all you Gaffers.

Victory...it has been on my todo list for a couple years now, but at last, I finally scored a small $8ish piece of Taleggio! Here's hoping I don't get screwed out of the other key stuff this weekend.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm going to make braised short ribs later this week. Any suggestions?

Last time it was fairly standard...onions, carrots, celery, beef broth, and red wine.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm going to make braised short ribs later this week. Any suggestions?

Last time it was fairly standard...onions, carrots, celery, beef broth, and red wine.

Add some beef oxtail to it...brown it the same way you would the ribs. It will add an incredible richness and thickness to the sauce.

nutella cheesecake with candied bacon. drizzled with maple syrup. (and gluten free!)

Sorry for shitty cellphone pics

IMG_20130127_182039.jpg

IMG_20130127_182729.jpg

A beautiful combo. Looks/sounds amazing (wine +100!). I must try this someday.

I cooked this steak earlier today, just served with a bit of coleslaw (apples, cashew nuts aside from the normal stuff):

Nowhere near as good as the other stuff in here, but I was proud of it.

And your steak looks great as well. Nice work. I always screw up my own, mostly (I hope) because I have an electric stove.

bovo

I took this picture a couple of weekends ago, and was about to post my new favourite weekend lunch when it was announced that mackerel is no longer a sustainable fish, and shouldn't be eaten...

Anyway, this is very easy to make smoked mackerel mousse, made by blending smoked mackerel with cream cheese, creme fraiche, lemon and parsley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom