• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I really need to take more pictures when I cook. I wish my kitchen wasn't such a harsh orange color, though, as it makes every picture I take look goofy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Grocery night here. I've been eating more and more salads for lunch at work and I'm looking for new ideas. I was thinking a salad with romaine, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken or something. Would I just do some kind of vinaigrette on it?

Also what's the best way to cook chicken for salads? I grilled mine last week but it's a bit tough.

Any other complete salad ideas?

Pour moi: "Philly Steak" and a regular Cheeseburger (200 grams) with Cheddar, plus Orange lemonade
image_zpse25d903f.jpg

total: 30,50€.

Wow, wow, WOW, this looks amazing.

Talon

European interpretations of American regional foods are always entertaining.

I'm sure the converse is quite embarrassing, though.

thespot84

European interpretations of American regional foods are always entertaining.

I'm sure the converse is quite embarrassing, though.

It might be inherent bias but most Americans I know prefer the Vietnamese food in america more than in Vietnam. Something about the quality if the meet, which is interesting.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually, if you leave the salt on there for at least 30-40 minutes, the moisture will get re-absorbed by the meat, along with some salt.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Yup I've been following that for a while now. I salt it a while beforehand, the moisture gets pulled out, but then some of it goes back in. I try to pat the steak with a paper towel and get it as dry as possible before it goes into the pan. My steaks have been turning out great. Juicier than normal, and very flavorful.

For an inch thick steak, I'll take it out 2-3 hours beforehand. I season it roughly 45 minutes - an hour before cooking.

In any case, I don't really think pulling moisture out of the meat prior to cooking is bad. I mean, why do people dry age meat if it's so bad? In my experience so far, the drier the steak prior to cooking, the better. The texture is more buttery, less hard, and I get a better sear as there's less moisture in there to inhibit the searing process.

I'm still working on my steak pan frying experience (especially when it comes to juding doneness vs. the feel of the steak), but that article has been the most helpful and influentual piece of steak literature I've read so far.

thespot84

Yup I've been following that for a while now. I salt it a while beforehand, the moisture gets pulled out, but then some of it goes back in. I try to pat the steak with a paper towel and get it as dry as possible before it goes into the pan. My steaks have been turning out great. Juicier than normal, and very flavorful.

For an inch thick steak, I'll take it out 2-3 hours beforehand. I season it roughly 45 minutes - an hour before cooking.

In any case, I don't really think pulling moisture out of the meat prior to cooking is bad. I mean, why do people dry age meat if it's so bad? In my experience so far, the drier the steak prior to cooking, the better. The texture is more buttery, less hard, and I get a better sear as there's less moisture in there to inhibit the searing process.

I'm still working on my steak pan frying experience (especially when it comes to juding doneness vs. the feel of the steak), but that article has been the most helpful and influentual piece of steak literature I've read so far.

Removing moisture from the surface of the meat is important for cooking steak, or anything you want to brown for that matter. Water on the surface will steam and inhibit the maillard reaction (browning) making the steak grey. (also why saute requires a single layer of food, don't stack as it'll steam)

However, maintaining internal moisture is important, otherwise your steak will turn out to be a brick, hence salting either immediately before cooking or long prior.

Zyzyxxz

Been a while since I posted some food, actually feel bad I don't share as much as I use to due to work constraints but decided to do some cooking at home for once. Sucks I don't have my immersion blender, food processor, circulator, etc but sometimes all you need is a pot and a nice cast iron pan to make good food.

Pan roasted halibut, pureed parsnip with a shit ton of butter, butter/water poached radishes, and fennel fronds. Technically the parsnips were mashed but I added in some of the butter poaching liquid for the radishes in an attempt to make it as smooth as a puree.
8368083981_31a52b561b_c.jpg

Gorgeous stuff as always, Zyzyxxz.

The other day I tried my hand at making miso soup, and it actually came out pretty nice. It was spartan fare, with only dried shiitake mushrooms and some green onion as ingredients, but it got the job done. :p

Zyzyxxz

Gorgeous stuff as always, Zyzyxxz.

The other day I tried my hand at making miso soup, and it actually came out pretty nice. It was spartan fare, with only dried shiitake mushrooms and some green onion as ingredients, but it got the job done. :p

Buy some powdered dashi stock and add a little bit to it and it will blow your mind. If you want to go all out you can make your own dashi which is very simple.

Buy some powdered dashi stock and add a little bit to it and it will blow your mind. If you want to go all out you can make your own dashi which is very simple.
I got the granulated Hondashi variety, because bonito flakes are so expensive. XD

I'm familiar with miso though, my grandma was Japanese so we'd have the most delicious Sunday lunches at her place.

TheExodu5

Banned
However, maintaining internal moisture is important, otherwise your steak will turn out to be a brick, hence salting either immediately before cooking or long prior.

I feel it's not quite so simple, however. I mean, as a steak ages, it loses moisture, but it gets more tender. There's no doubt that there is moisture loss when you salt beforehand, even if a lot of the water that gets pulled out goes back into the steak. But I still end up with a juicier steak when I salt beforehand.

When a steak ages, proteins break down right? And cooking meat tightens the proteins which squeezes out juices. Maybe if the proteins are more broken down they squeeze out less juice during cooking?

Zyzyxxz

I feel it's not quite so simple, however. I mean, as a steak ages, it loses moisture, but it gets more tender. There's no doubt that there is moisture loss when you salt beforehand, even if a lot of the water that gets pulled out goes back into the steak. But I still end up with a juicier steak when I salt beforehand.

When a steak ages, proteins break down right? And cooking meat tightens the proteins which squeezes out juices. Maybe if the proteins are more broken down they squeeze out less juice during cooking?

When cooking meat at high temperatures they constrict and squeeze out juices. Aging does break down the connective tissue in these muscle strands I believe and while aging may not be as juicy it is more tender and flavorful because of the umami concentrating process.

Shakshuka for dinner! My first try :)

And their final performance!
batf6ko

Thank you for posting this; I had never heard of this dish. I made a version tonight. I cooked some onions, peppers, and leeks in coconut oil, then added some shredded pork. I added a Campbell's Fire-Roasted Tomato Skillet Sauce and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes (the Skillet Sauce is actually quite good). Poached the eggs and served over rice (the rice is yellow from tumeric I add during cooking). It was really delicious.

VaMN3.jpg

When I was growing up and even today (I'm from the middle east) I always preferred Shakshuka to be made with scambled eggs being the whole entire top layer of the pan. I just think it tastes better and it also lets you cut it into nice pie pieces or whatever.

^-- That's a good idea with the scrambled eggs.

While I love eggs, sometimes eating scrambled eggs grosses me out b/c it's so rich and creamy. Eating it with the acidity if the shakshuka will probably help cut that down.

Zyzyxxz

Woot my first ever cured meat item, it was too salty probably because I cured it for too long. Oh well on to the next one.

That is guanciale hanging in a wine fridge. Next up is duck prosciutto.
8373034398_80773cefa8_c.jpg

Used it to make some carbonara
8371964477_d3e91c530f_c.jpg

Also my job involves making a ton of fries and it's so much work I hate myself for making them so well.

That's 6 layers deep of fries air drying on a full sized sheet tray which measures 26 by 18 inches (or 66 x 45 cm). Was proud how fast I got them ready for service today and then got busy and sold half of this batch... FML.
8371964509_fd7c79427c_c.jpg

jet1911

Just bought this from Futureshop

10178948.jpg

161$ (+ taxes) is a pretty good price I think. My 20 years old food processor just could not keep the pace with all the food I am, and will have to (purée for the baby!) make. I really like buying new kitchen equipment lol

Made some octopus in butter, garlic and tomatoes tonight:
imag1969q.jpg

Looks great! I love perfectly cooked octopus, especially when it has a little char but is still tender.

That's 6 layers deep of fries air drying on a full sized sheet tray which measures 26 by 18 inches (or 66 x 45 cm). Was proud how fast I got them ready for service today and then got busy and sold half of this batch... FML.
8371964509_fd7c79427c_c.jpg

I can't believe you have the patience to lay them out like that. That's crazy! I wonder if you can cheat by just pouring them out and spreading to a single layer, then putting a mesh drying rack or grill thing on top, then doing another layer, etc.

Zyzyxxz

I can't believe you have the patience to lay them out like that. That's crazy! I wonder if you can cheat by just pouring them out and spreading to a single layer, then putting a mesh drying rack or grill thing on top, then doing another layer, etc.

Well I'm pretty fast at it by now, I mean ideally I would have a entire fridge devoted to it and have several sheet trays of single layered fries but I don't have that kind of space right now thought I would rather do that since it would increase the ability of the fries to dry out.

qtLFI.jpg

Today was terrible(Lost my old cat of about 16/17 years this morning when found she'd passed in her sleep late last night, buried her in my shirt) and so was this meal---even if I'd been feeling better this would've been a damned wash. So much for a sorrow drowning meal...

Crumble: Not really one as I'm out of my backstock---some popped Sorghum seasoned with micro pepper/herbs.

Cheese: Bucheron Bougon Utter shit...like a mix of a brie gone bad and the least appealing of what blue cheeses I've had thus far on top of being a ridiculous mess.

Chris R

Was finally able to find a cheap standing rib roast after new years. I've been dry aging it for the past week. In the oven now, hoping it turns out as well as I've had them turn out in the past. Can't wait to move to a place with a proper stove though since the temperature in this one fluctuates pretty badly.

friday

Believe it or not I've yet to smoke those. Almost got a whole duck instead on ribs.

My brother smokes them frequently and they are wonderful. You need to cook them in a two step process. Only smoking the wings will leave the skin chewy and soft, so instead he cooks them most of the way in a smoker and then finishes them real hot on a grill to get the outside nice and crispy. Really short cooking time when it comes to smoking. With a nice Thai garlic sauce style sauce they are great.

Surprised my mother at her 60 year birthday yesterday. She wasn't expecting us(My brother and I, and our SOs) at all. Made this cake for her:

Chocolate cake filled with Passionfruit Mousse, covered in 70% dark chocolate ganache. Decorated with Passionfruit jelly and white and milk chocolate bottons.
chokopassioncake1_zps3b628d6b.jpg

chokopassioncake2_zps1a8b0635.jpg

chokopassioncake3_zps7175d48a.jpg

chokopassioncake4_zps2ed6937e.jpg

I still have a hard time covered the ganache evenly(as you can see from the first picture), though it didn't help that I was pouring the ganache over the cake 1am in the dark friday night...). The bottom cake layer also broke off slightly when removed from the form. And next time, I need to have a layer of mousse below the jelly, so that it doesn't soak down the top cake layer... Live and learn!
This is a prototype for two pair of cakes which I'm commissioned to bake for another 60 years birthday party next week. I'm remaking this one, hopefully without any of the mistakes. And then another one replacing the passionfruit elements with raspberry instead. As well as two of these blueberry lemon cakes. So a total of 4 cakes which I'll have to make during Thursday night and Friday.

Simple question: So when serving these cakes for the party next weekend. I imagine that when it's time for dessert, these cake will be up at the buffet, and people can go up get a piece of whatever cake the desire. Now, should I the cakes in slices or let people do that themselves? The cakes with ganache can sometimes be tricky to cut if the ganache is too cold and solid, squishing down the layers pinching out mousse, so I usually use a sharp knife dipped in hot water and dried off, thus melting through the layers as you cut.
But cutting out the slices also make the wholesome look of the cakes go to waste. Maybe just cut out 2 of the cakes, and let people cut out some lesser looking slices once they get to the other cakes??
Btw, I'm not a waitor for the party, but one of the guests.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So yesterday I did an experiment. Usually if I buy steak at the nearby grocery store, tenderloin (if available at all) and sirloin steak is usually only 1" thick, around 250g, for around 7$-8$. When I was in Argentina I always had thick 2"+ pieces for cheap. Soooooo.... I bought a 775g beef chunk (normally used to make roast beef) for 12$, and cut it at 2.5", to make a fake beef filet:D

I salted it heavily, let it rest for two hours with garlic and rosemary, then removed the salt under water, pat dry, cook it for two minutes each sides at high heat, then 7 minutes per side in the oven at 450. It was very good, very pink/red inside, but since it isn't short loin it was of course not as tender (it basically looked like roast beef really).

Still, a nice poor man's thick beef filet (lazy man to be honest, would have had to go to the butcher, too far, and expensive). Should have taken a picture, looked really good. I froze the rest of the beef, so I'm not sure how it will turn out when I cook this again after unfreezing.

I really need to remember to photograph my meals before I eat them.

Tonight's dinner was baked crusted fish, daigaku-imo, and baked asparagus seasoned with olive oil+salt+pepper.

Delicious and nutritious.

CrankyJay

Banned
New food item of the day for CrankyJay (new to me)...I got a jar of ghee...

This is part of my looking for healthy/alternative cooking oils.

gheeLrg.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Alright IronGAF...I need your help.

My local supermarket has a sushi counter where they make this seaweed salad that is basically seaweed, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and a little sesame seed in it. It's fucking divine.

I would make a bunch myself but I don't know where they get that sea weed. It looks greener and fresher than the dried seaweed they have down the Asian aisle.

This is basically what the salad looks like...how do I get sea weed like this?

2San

It's clarified butter...and I don't feel like making my own every time I cook with it.
Didn't know the proper word for it(English is not my first language). Mentioned it because you said looking for healthy/alternative cooking oils. I guess it fits the alternative part.

BTW, made a stirfry with it and some chicken thighs tonight. Had a really smooth/buttery texture.
It is good, never tried it outside of south-Asian culinary though.

Silkworm

Didn't know the proper word for it(English is not my first language). Mentioned it because you said looking for healthy/alternative cooking oils. I guess it fits the alternative part.

Hah. I was wondering what made it healthy :) Ghee is tasty but I'm not sure it's necessarily "healthy" but I guess that depends on the definition of "healthy" :)

CrankyJay

Banned

It's healthy in the sense that is has a reasonable Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio.

It also won't turn toxic at high temperatures like other cooking oils.

Here's some more info if you're interested: http://begumskitchen.com/GoodGhee.html

Fact: Ghee is composed almost entirely of saturated fat. What you're already shaking your head with disgust?? Just read on and have patience. Remember a good cook must have a lot of patience.

Fact: When cooking, it can be unhealthy to heat polyunsaturated oils such as vegetable oils to high temperatures. Doing so creates peroxides and other free radicals. These substances lead to a variety of health problems and diseases. Hey now even vegetable oils sound scary! Good we're making progress here.

Fact: Ghee has a very high smoke point and doesn't burn easily during cooking. Ghee has the more stable saturated bonds and so is lot less likely to form the dangerous free radicals when cooking. Ghee's short chain fatty acids are also metabolized very readily by the body. Hmm... So now aren't you confused? Is ghee good or bad you ask with a puzzled look? Be patient, just a bit more.

Lab studies have shown ghee to reduce cholesterol both in the serum and intestine(aren't you surprised?!). It does it by triggering an increased secretion of biliary lipids (stuff coming out of your bile). Ghee is also good for nerves and brain. It helps control eye pressure and is beneficial to glaucoma patients. I bet you didn't know these, did you?

Ghee is most notably said to stimulate the secretion of stomach acids to help with digestion, while other fats, such as butter and oils, slow down the digestive process and can sit heavy in the stomach. You don't want that really.

In addition to ghee's nutritional value, it is rich with antioxidants and acts as an aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods, feeding all layers of body tissue and serving to strengthen the immune system. A high concentration of butyric acid, a fatty acid that contains anti-viral properties, is believed to inhibit the growth of cancerous tumors.

2San

It's healthy in the sense that is has a reasonable Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio.

It also won't turn toxic at high temperatures like other cooking oils.

Here's some more info if you're interested: http://begumskitchen.com/GoodGhee.html
Don't really think that's a trustworthy site. Either way it's probably a bit better than butter, but it's not a major improvement. I like Ghee, but imo use it because you like the taste/convenience rather than any health benefits.

Silkworm

Thanks again! BTW, can you use it in the same proportion as other oils (eg. canola oil) or do you use less of it since it's more concentrated in regards to flavor? Always thought of it as something to only use in Indian dishes that call for it but if it can be use in place of say canola oil, then I might find more use for ghee in my own cooking efforts.

CrankyJay

Banned
Don't really think that's a trustworthy site. Either way it's probably a bit better than butter, but it's not a major improvement. I like Ghee, but imo use it because you like the taste/convenience rather than any health benefits.

The "health benefit" to me is that it saves me from using canola or peanut oil or heating up extra virgin olive oil and altering its composition.

As such it's still a fat and should be used sparingly. I won't be using a jar a week. =)

CrankyJay

Banned
Thanks again! BTW, can you use it in the same proportion as other oils (eg. canola oil) or do you use less of it since it's more concentrated in regards to flavor? Always thought of it as something to only use in Indian dishes that call for it but if it can be use in place of say canola oil, then I might find more use for ghee in my own cooking efforts.

1 serving is 1 tea spoon and is 45-55 calories, all fat.

I used 3 tea spoons tonight for a fullsized meal for my wife and me and it coated the pan incredibly well and there was a little left in the pan, so I think I could definitely get away with only using 1 or 2 tea spoons at the most for most applications.

The taste was silky and slightly buttery...so maybe less is more with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom