• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get "dry" or "wet" scallops? Wet scallops are scallops that have been brined in a chemical solution to help it stay fresh longer. It absorbs extra water and is harder to sear. It also leaves behind a chemical aftertaste.

I've only had scallops once and didn't like them. I'm fairly certain they were the wet variety because of where they were bought. Have avoided them since.
I believe they were wet, and the adductor muscle was removed. (HEB, so we're not talking a great fishmonger here.)

Also bought perch and grouper while I was there, so I'll be trying those out in the near future.

It can't (well, shouldn't) be just melted chocolate, it needs to be properly tempered in order to hold its shape and maintain the shine -- otherwise it will bloom and be streaked or cloudy.

You're basically right about forming the curl, though. It's spread onto sheets of acetate which are then combed or scored to create the desired width, then the acetate is twisted so the chocolate is on the inner side and they're secured until cooled and hardened.
Don't worry I use tempered chocolate whenever I make chocolate for decorative purposes, but go the lazy normal melting route if the chocolate needs to be inside in anyway. Also the chocolate spirals were sooo easy to make in the end. I didn't really have anything that could hold the spirals, so I thought I would just use a regular glass to hold them, but in the end after letting the chocolate cool down a little they were able to hold themselves after being shaped into spirals!

Here's the result! (sorry for the amount of pics...)

Charlotte Mousse Cake
charlottemousse1.jpg

charlottemousse2.jpg

charlottemousse3.jpg

charlottemousse4.jpg

Composition: Ladyfingers forming the charlotte fence. From the bottom a soft sponge cake, then blackberry mousse, pistachio cream, orange mousse(with candied orange zests and chocolate chips) and whipped cream. Decorated with chocolate figures and more orange zests.

Great cake, if a bit too heavy on your stomach(there's cream in pretty much all things). But I really like the look, it came out exactly as I had envisioned. The orange mousse was really good, I had reduced the water from the juice from 3 oranges, so the taste was really sharp, only to be supplemented by the candied zests, and made even greater with a chocolate chips combo. The only thing that went 'wrong', was that I had forgotten to brush the inside of the ladyfingers with syrup, which resulted in the orange mousse to leak out and soften the bottom part of the ladyfingers. I could have let the mousse become more firm before pouring it on, but I didn't have the patience.

Bonus work in progress pictures! I try to keep the mess to a minimum whenever I work in the kitchen, constantly working on cake->washing the dishes. Still a mess everytime XD
charlottemousse5.jpg

Everything is ready for the orange mousse
charlottemousse6.jpg

charlottemousse7.jpg

My dog Shikko eyeing the cake as my gf eats a piece.
charlottemousse8.jpg

'But I'm really really hungry!'
charlottemousse9.jpg

Made roasted marrow bones for the first time last night. Wasn't bad. There was a certain gross out factor that I had to get over, but overall it was pretty tasty and very simple and cheap.

Also enjoyed experimenting with different condiments and toppings.

Not my pic, but this is similar to what I ended up with.

delicious looking cake, but i was kind of grossed out by the armpit hair.
Hahaha
pgtcx5p0.gif

Made roasted marrow bones for the first time last night. Wasn't bad. There was a certain gross out factor that I had to get over, but overall it was pretty tasty and very simple and cheap.

Also enjoyed experimenting with different condiments and toppings.

Not my pic, but this is similar to what I ended up with.
I could eat that right now, and it also reminds me of how long it has been since the last time I made my own bruschetta.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Metroid Killer, awesome photo story! Thanks for sharing.

Bachner0000, could you keep comments like the one above out of here please? Thanks a lot.

Yesterday's Dinner. Pizza with Home made meat sauce, Onions, BBQ sauce, Pamplona sweet Chorizo, Special seasoning, Mozarella, and a Brie and paprika oil stuffed crust.

0lu9MkWh.jpg

Jh1RLtZh.jpg

5RC0Byvh.jpg

lJ27ZUyh.jpg

wozIG3qh.jpg

d74LZGYh.jpg

Prowl

Today is Brownies Day.

Beginner mode activated:
pDuYgKa.jpg

Changing difficulty to Ridiculous Mode:
yeGkF6l.jpg

9AzWP9O.jpg

H78bRpM.jpg

Changing difficulty to Super Diabeetus Mode:
JMgu89d.jpg

hGEo2r6.jpg

I have a sweet tooth, but i think this may have been a bad idea

LRAvpa2.jpg

Awww, is it really an official brownie day? I should have made some then. Yours looks drool worthy!

Oh well I'm going to make something with egg yolks. Got 6 yolks in ther fridge and I'm thinking about making creme brulee, but every recipe calls for them to cool down in the fridge for at least two hours after removed from the oven. I would like to serve them a bit earlier. Is it ok to serve hot creme brulee (I've only ever had it twice, don't remember much about it).

Zyzyxxz

I think I just made the best Hainan chicken I've ever tasted. Now I just need to be able to replicate it hundreds of time when our new venture opens up come March.

n0n44m

those brownies look goood

played around with distance to broiler yesterday ; all three tasted good but close to the broiler = best pizza

also I'm only making Margherita the last few weeks ... so simple yet so good

Awww, is it really an official brownie day? I should have made some then. Yours looks drool worthy!

Oh well I'm going to make something with egg yolks. Got 6 yolks in ther fridge and I'm thinking about making creme brulee, but every recipe calls for them to cool down in the fridge for at least two hours after removed from the oven. I would like to serve them a bit earlier. Is it ok to serve hot creme brulee (I've only ever had it twice, don't remember much about it).

officially creme brulee/catalan should be cool with a fresh layer of hard caramel, but I've been to plenty of restaurants that serve them at room temperature with a not-so-fresh caramel layer ... still tastes good but I imagine the French/Spanish would not accept such a dessert :p

It's just a brownie mix box from the supermarket and some chocolate bars of your choice.

We made a from-scratch version of this--also with caramel--last weekend, should have taken pictures. We used a goat milk based caramel that a friend had gifted us (we're thinking of raising goats). I thought it might be too sweet but it actually ended up having a nice balance from the salt in the caramel, was quite good.

For Le Super Bowl tonight we'll be going full Japanese. I made curry last night that we'll reheat, and will be making makisushi with the kids this afternoon: avocado, cucumber and a tofu I'll marinate in a garlic/ginger/tamari/CRP mix. Should be fun.

Yay my guests ended up arriving much later which made it possible for the creme brulee to cool down entirely. Wow, why didn't I make this earlier, so easy to make, and tastes really great.

Creme Brulee
cremebrulee1.jpg

cremebrulee2.jpg

Also, today I discovered what vanilla beans means... I mean, I know what it is, but in Danish we call it a vanilla pole, and eventhough I've seen the words 'vanilla bean' mentioned in a lot of recipes and in text related to pastry, I assumed it was just another vanilla flavour product... shaped like a bean. I had the image of a kidney bean in my head until today...
techblogycom-kidney-bean.jpg

Seriosuly, wtf. I consider myself more than fluent in English, this is so embarrassing...

Yes Boss!

Ha,

Creme brulee is like the easiest thing in the word to make with the biggest payoff! It is almost hard to make a mistake. Only thing to trip you up, maybe, is if you happen to get some water in while water baking, but that is only possible with the shallow vessels, not the standard remekins.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Superbowl menu:

Homemade seven layer dip - retried beans warmed with Tabasco, ground chorizo, sour cream, homemade guacamole (avocados, splash of lime, finely chopped red onion, hint of garlic, salt, pepper) grated sharp cheddar, chopped black olives, scallions.

Fried Chicken (spicy) from Ezell's. I can't make it anywhere near that good, so we are shipping it in.

http://www.ezellschicken.com/

That beef looks great. I've got a beef and red wine stew in the oven at the mo, just sort of winged the recipe but it's similar to yours (no bacon, shallots or mushrooms but it's got new potatoes). It smells pretty good!

New potatoes in stews are always godly. Great addition.

Also, heads up all, it's apparently National Yorkshire pudding day in the UK today. Great excuse to get those yorkies in the oven.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Feeling pretty defeated the past few days. I had my final presentation for school on Friday and managed to botch aspects of all five categories (bread, pastry, cake, tart, plated dessert). I'm so much better than this normally, but my hectic work schedule and all the stress of practicing this stuff for the last few weeks got to me. It was obvious Friday morning when the stuff was coming out of the oven that it hadn't turned out the way I'd hoped, but there's obviously nothing that could be fixed by that point.

The chefs said I still did very well, but I don't think the overall score reflected that (rightfully so) and I wasn't honestly happy with any of my product.

eucharis

Feeling pretty defeated the past few days. I had my final presentation for school on Friday and managed to botch aspects of all five categories (bread, pastry, cake, tart, plated dessert). I'm so much better than this normally, but my hectic work schedule and all the stress of practicing this stuff for the last few weeks got to me. It was obvious Friday morning when the stuff was coming out of the oven that it hadn't turned out the way I'd hoped, but there's obviously nothing that could be fixed by that point.

The chefs said I still did very well, but I don't think the overall score reflected that (rightfully so) and I wasn't honestly happy with any of my product.

Ahh you don't get another try? We had to cook two days for our final just to make sure we could be prepared. Would it really mess up your grade since I'm sure your final great they'll take into account all the nice things you made that semester?

Don't be too hard on yourself you know that you're a good cook/ know how to cook. I don't think an employer at a ritzy restaurant is going to ask you what your final grade was on the final. It'll be ok.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ahh you don't get another try? We had to cook two days for our final just to make sure we could be prepared.

We got two practice weeks, a week out of the bakeshop to do our portfolio, and then this past week was working on the final products. Everything was great during practice, but fell to pieces for the last shot.

Zyzyxxz

We got two practice weeks, a week out of the bakeshop to do our portfolio, and then this past week was working on the final products. Everything was great during practice, but fell to pieces for the last shot.

Well as long as you graduate it shouldnt really matter about final score right? Either way your long term career won't depend on it so if nothing can be done it's best to move on and tackle on the next challenge.

W6ofxCy.jpg

A day late, but supplies stocked!

Crumble: Lay's Kettle Cooked Natural Sun-Dried Tomato Parmesan Apparently a newcomers, pretty solid in terms of being what it says.

Cheese: Taleggio YES! Melts quickly into a tasty, runny mess given it is already quite soft to start----nutty and a bit sweet are the name of the game and quite nice!

Yes Boss!

Made some Rajma Masala (like a vegetarian indian chili). What makes it really dark is my garam masala I ground myself and fried up at the start (rather than quickly cooking at the end, and buying a pre-mix). Basically ground up two cinnamon sticks, a couple of bay leaves, a half dozen green cardamom pods, some mace and a dozen cloves and then put that pulverized mix in when I fried the onions. To reduce the fresh tomatoes and onions to nothingness I pressure cooked the initial spice gravy for ten minutes prior to reducing it to an almost dry state at super high heat. End result is a simple smooth curry/gravy that is thick enough to support the kidney, but does not get in the way. Kidney is king.

238BF881-FB3D-4AF1-98FF-F7CDE8606E0A-15167-000010A2E9C7291F_zpsd739ce00.jpg

Made some Rajma Masala (like a vegetarian indian chili). What makes it really dark is my garam masala I ground myself and fried up at the start (rather than quickly cooking at the end, and buying a pre-mix). Basically ground up two cinnamon sticks, a couple of bay leaves, a half dozen green cardamom pods, some mace and a dozen cloves and then put that pulverized mix in when I fried the onions. To reduce the fresh tomatoes and onions to nothingness I pressure cooked the initial spice gravy for ten minutes prior to reducing it to an almost dry state at super high heat. End result is a simple smooth curry/gravy that is thick enough to support the kidney, but does not get in the way. Kidney is king.

Wow, that looks amazing and makes me want to grind up some garam masala for future use myself. Doesn't it burn when you add it in from the start though? I usually try to be careful and give my spices a light toast only.

Yes Boss!

Wow, that looks amazing and makes me want to grind up some garam masala for future use myself. Doesn't it burn when you add it in from the start though? I usually try to be careful and give my spices a light toast only.

Yeah, that is the thing. It is usually a water spice and not a frying spice...and always goes kinda at the end. This one I ground up rather coarse and then added it with the onion and oil mix for a few minutes (enough water was still in the onion to keep it from burning).

34E49BFE-8AFE-4D69-B9AA-7C6C8BD5A65B-15331-000010D90E4D36C8_zps1f3df7c1.jpg

Cooking GAF, I need your help. I'm making some spice jars for my wife for Valentines Day. I found a cool template that someone made up, but I want to add a couple of spices that aren't on the template.

This is what they will look like:
http://diydiva.net/2011/09/diy-spice-jar-labels/

You'll notice they have three sections, uses, basic flavor, and a funny medicinal purpose. So for example, I need to make one for Cajun Seasoning. I know it's used for Gumbo, but that's about it. And is it A LOT OF SPICE, or A LOT OF FLAVOR? Also, any good medicinal purposes?

These are the spices I need:

Cajun Seasoning
Chinese Five Spice
Cinnamon Sticks
Ground Mustard
Paprika

Thanks GAF!

I'm so much better than this normally, but my hectic work schedule and all the stress of practicing this stuff for the last few weeks got to me.
I can relate that whatever I'm cooking tonights dinner or working on some pastry stuff being under stress reduces the quality greatly, I'm just not good at it, or don't have the experience to keep it together. As the others said though we all have bad days, and it sucks that it happened on your final, but as long as you know that it's not truly reflective of you, then there's nothing else to keep on truckin'.

Made some Rajma Masala (like a vegetarian indian chili)

That looks amazing! My wife is Pescetarian, so we cook a lot of veggie food. I'd love to get an expanded recipe for that with some amounts in and stuff. When you say you reduced it until it's super dry, was that just the end consistency, then you added kidney beans, or was it like a paste you boosted out with water after the fact?

New potatoes in stews are always godly. Great addition.

Also, heads up all, it's apparently National Yorkshire pudding day in the UK today. Great excuse to get those yorkies in the oven.

Yeh it was great, and I had leftovers for lunch. Om nom.

I think I need a new casserole dish and would like Iron-gaf's input. I've already got a Le Creuset which is great but it's a bit too small - I need something bigger. I was lucky and got mine on sale (think it was £50) but I'm not sure I can face shelling out £135 for a bigger one. Does anyone have any recommendations? If it's worth it I don't mind waiting and getting another Le Creuset for my birthday but I'm open to suggestions.

Yes Boss!

That looks amazing! My wife is Pescetarian, so we cook a lot of veggie food. I'd love to get an expanded recipe for that with some amounts in and stuff. When you say you reduced it until it's super dry, was that just the end consistency, then you added kidney beans, or was it like a paste you boosted out with water after the fact?

No real amounts but I do have a few more photos. Ingredients here. The beans in the back were a little over a cup and soaked for 24 hours then pressure cooked for thirty minutes. The red stuff is two fresh tomatoes blended with two jalapenos. Spices are my hand-grounded garam masala along with the the usual suspects: cumin seed, hing, turmeric, coriander powder, a couple dried red pepper powders. I don't have here the ginger and garlic paste which I put about two big tablespoons in:

B823CAD1-48D0-4F04-95CE-DF8283A401B6-15597-0000114EC050D814_zps50863a3e.jpg

When I say dry...I mean everything in the above photo except the beans and cilantro and butter reduced at the highest heat possible...just being careful because as soon as the water is almost gone then that is when it really starts to brown...but you want some for flavor and color. Here is a photo of it done, but I've added 1/4 cub of water to stop it. Scraping the bottom of the pan should leave a very nice wide trail. That becomes the highly flavorful and spiced gravy/curry base:

A5139FE1-3C92-4672-9AF9-2A4539E4AF48-15597-0000114EEFDA9EA9_zps315ce19b.jpg

I then add the precious drained bean juice as a thickener and reduce it to half. I stop when it looks like it will support kidneys through the entire layer (don't want them falling to the bottom!)

45BC77D9-0675-4DD1-AB3F-64CAE56C1CDD-15597-0000114EF407E1CB_zps51d236bb.jpg

One cup of dried beans soaked, then cooked yields a huge amount...like three+ cups of beans cooked. Those get added and then stewed slowly for ten to twenty minutes to meld. Optional, but I finish with a little bit of butter as an emulsifier for the sauce, then fresh chopped cilantro.

B0B0823F-144C-4777-B923-3EAC8AD2072B-15597-0000114EF903EC02_zpse30c8492.jpg

No real quantities but something like this:

Veggies:

two tomatoes
two jalapenos
one onion
8 cloves garlic
an inch of ginger
fist of cilantro
scallion for garnish

Bean:

1 1/4 cup Kidney/Rajma